|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Equiano's business go in Philadelphia?
(a) He makes a good profit.
(b) He breaks even.
(c) He loses money.
(d) He makes a profit but then loses all his money gambling.
2. How does the battle in the ocean between the French and the English end?
(a) All the English are taken captive by the French.
(b) The English drive the French off and capture one of their ships.
(c) The English sink the French fleet.
(d) The French take Pascal's ship captive.
3. What does Equiano spend his time doing on the Isle of Wight?
(a) Arguing for an end to slavery.
(b) Reading and writing to increase his education.
(c) Playing cards and dice.
(d) Lifting weights and running.
4. During the battle at Gibraltar, what is Equiano's job?
(a) Carrying messages from Pascal to the captain.
(b) Steering the ship.
(c) Cleaning blood off the deck.
(d) Running to the cannon with explosive gun powder to the cannons can be reloaded.
5. What order does Phillips give that would have cost the lives of many slaves?
(a) Phillips orders that the slaves be given no food.
(b) Phillips orders that the slaves do all the work of rebuilding the ship without any help from the crew.
(c) Phillips orders that the slaves test the drinking water on the island.
(d) Phillips orders the hatches to be nailed shut.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the slave ship land?
2. Besides the slaveowners, where else does Equiano place blame for the treatment of the slaves in the West Indies?
3. What is the profession of the dying man who Captain Farmer cares for in his illness?
4. Equiano sees a slave whose leg has been cut off in the West Indies. Why was the slave's leg amputated?
5. What two things does Equiano think are "magic" when he sees a town built by white people for the first time?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)