|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man who had rescued Desiderio ask him to teach him in Chapter 3, The River People?
2. What short story of Angela Carter's was adapted to a 1984 film?
3. Who takes in Desiderio in Chapter 3, The River People?
4. What does Desiderio find to be desolate and abandoned in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight?
5. In Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire, Desiderio finds a collection of pictures, slides, and wax figures that represent different what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Desiderio go in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight? What is he investigating? What does he find there?
2. What do the Acrobats of Desire do to Desiderio after taking him to their caravan?
3. What does Desiderio learn from the Professor in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire about the peep show?
4. Who raised Desiderio? How did his heritage shape his character?
5. What is the chief means of commerce for the River People?
6. What does the Minister do in Chapter 1, The City Under Siege to fight the machines?
7. What does Desiderio discover after leaving his cave in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire? What is his reaction?
8. What does Desiderio learn from the peep show proprietor in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight?
9. Who is not seemingly affected by Dr. Hoffman's machines in Chapter 1, The City Under Siege?
10. What "hallucination" does Desiderio experience in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Desiderio's interaction with Mary Anne. What causes the protagonist's confusion about the situation? What does Desiderio discover?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of the Professor in the narrative. How does Desiderio meet him? What does he learn from the Professor? What is the Professor's job?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the surreal objectification of women in the brothel in Chapter 5, The Erotic Traveler. Why does the Count choose the beaten woman? What is symbolic about the animals and images of bestiality?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)