|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What short story of Angela Carter's was adapted to a 1984 film?
2. Who told the Professor to take in Desiderio in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire?
3. What does Desiderio find to be desolate and abandoned in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight?
4. How does Desiderio discover the act of the acrobats is achieved in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire?
5. What had Desiderio always felt ashamed of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Desiderio go to for advice regarding his engagement in Chapter 3, The River People? What happens?
2. Where does Desiderio go in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight? What is he investigating? What does he find there?
3. How did the war against Dr. Hoffman begin, according to Desiderio? How did the Minister become involved?
4. What does Desiderio learn of Mendoza in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire?
5. Who introduces the novel in the Introduction? What does the narrator establish from the past?
6. Who takes in Desiderio in Chapter 3, The River People? What is his impression of these people?
7. What is the chief means of commerce for the River People?
8. How does Desiderio escape in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight? From where does he escape?
9. Why have the villagers invited the carnival to their town at the last stop in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire? What does Desiderio do there?
10. Where does Desiderio go after leaving the Acrobats of Desire? What does he find in the purse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe depiction of women in The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman. How do these women represent feminist themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of identity in Chapter 3, The River People. How does Desiderio find pride in his Indian heritage among these people? How does Carter define "the other" in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
What led to the Count's murder of a prostitute in Louisiana? Who has been pursuing him since this event? How does this add to the conflicts in the plot?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)