|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Desiderio take refuge in the end of Chapter 3, The River People?
2. Who does Desiderio go to speak to about the rituals of his marriage in Chapter 3, The River People?
3. Where does Desiderio go to hide in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire?
4. How old is the girl offered in marriage to Desiderio in Chapter 3, The River People?
5. What does Desiderio's fiance not allow him to do in Chapter 3, The River People?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who takes in Desiderio in Chapter 3, The River People? What is his impression of these people?
2. Who introduces the novel in the Introduction? What does the narrator establish from the past?
3. Who raised Desiderio? How did his heritage shape his character?
4. What does Desiderio discover after leaving his cave in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire? What is his reaction?
5. Where is the city in which Desiderio lives? How is it described?
6. What do the Acrobats of Desire do to Desiderio after taking him to their caravan?
7. Where does Desiderio go in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight? What is he investigating? What does he find there?
8. How did the war against Dr. Hoffman begin, according to Desiderio? How did the Minister become involved?
9. How does Desiderio begin to integrate into his new society in Chapter 3, The River People?
10. What leads to Desiderio's fugitive status in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight? What foreshadowing is in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the exposition revealed in the Introduction and Carter's use of foreshadowing in the novel. What effect does placing the ending in the beginning have for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Alberta with Desiderio's previous lovers in the text. What similarities does Alberta share with Mary Anne and Aoi? What differences are there?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the imagery and symbolism in the peep show and carnival scenes in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight. How do these sexual images relate to the themes of the story?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)