|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is it arranged for Desiderio to stay in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight?
2. Who told the Professor to take in Desiderio in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire?
3. Who does the Professor say was kicked out of school in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire?
4. How much does Desiderio pay to enter the peep show in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight?
5. How is the village described where the circus comes at the end of their season in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Desiderio escape in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight? From where does he escape?
2. What does Desiderio learn of Mendoza in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire?
3. What story does Nao-Kurai tell Desiderio before the wedding in Chapter 3, The River People?
4. How did the war against Dr. Hoffman begin, according to Desiderio? How did the Minister become involved?
5. How does Desiderio begin to integrate into his new society in Chapter 3, The River People?
6. Who does Desiderio go to for advice regarding his engagement in Chapter 3, The River People? What happens?
7. What does Desiderio pay the peep show proprietor in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight? What does he see inside?
8. Why have the villagers invited the carnival to their town at the last stop in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire? What does Desiderio do there?
9. Where is the city in which Desiderio lives? How is it described?
10. What does the Minister do in Chapter 1, The City Under Siege to fight the machines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Nao-Kurai and his people in Chapter 3, The River People. What language do the River People speak? How does Desiderio communicate with them?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the exposition revealed in the Introduction and Carter's use of foreshadowing in the novel. What effect does placing the ending in the beginning have for the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the surreal objectification of women in the brothel in Chapter 5, The Erotic Traveler. Why does the Count choose the beaten woman? What is symbolic about the animals and images of bestiality?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)