|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lovers does Desiderio find himself with in Chapter 3, The River People?
2. Nao-Kurai tells Desiderio a story of a girl who gets impregnated by what?
3. Who is in a coma in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight?
4. What had the character Mendoza reportedly built?
5. What do the father and brothers of the girl in Nao-Kurai's story do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have the villagers invited the carnival to their town at the last stop in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire? What does Desiderio do there?
2. What "hallucination" does Desiderio experience in Chapter 2, The Mansion of Midnight?
3. What does Desiderio learn of Mendoza in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire?
4. What does the Minister do in Chapter 1, The City Under Siege to fight the machines?
5. What disguise does Desiderio don in Chapter 4, The Acrobats of Desire? What is his reaction to the setting in this chapter?
6. Who is not seemingly affected by Dr. Hoffman's machines in Chapter 1, The City Under Siege?
7. How did the war against Dr. Hoffman begin, according to Desiderio? How did the Minister become involved?
8. What leads to Desiderio's being hailed a hero among the River People?
9. Who raised Desiderio? How did his heritage shape his character?
10. Where does Desiderio go after leaving the Acrobats of Desire? What does he find in the purse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Desiderio's sexual relationships in Chapter 3, The River People. How do Aoi and her grandmother fit into the novel's themes? How do they represent female gender roles?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Desiderio's interaction with Mary Anne. What causes the protagonist's confusion about the situation? What does Desiderio discover?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of the Count and Lafleur in the narrative. What is Desiderio's impression of each of these men? How does he meet them?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)