Introduction and Chapter 1, The City Under Siege
• In the Introduction, Desiderio, the narrator and protagonist, is now an old man looking back on his life with a sense of regret.
• Desiderio acknowledges that he is known as a hero for ending the war against Dr. Hoffman, but he had never wanted to be a hero.
• Desiderio regrets that his fame came at the expense of the one woman he would ever truly desire, Albertina Hoffman.
• In Chapter 1, The City Under Siege, Desiderio is the son of a prostitute of Indian heritage and was raised by a group of nuns in an orphanage.
• Due to his Indian heritage, Desiderio has always felt as though he did not belong.
• Desiderio cannot remember how the war began, but recalls how his master, the Minister of Determination, became a city leader against the machines of Dr. Hoffman.
• During a city meeting one...
This section contains 2,503 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)