|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mhoram see in his dreams?
2. Why is the council surprised about who is leading the army?
3. Who is Trell?
4. What does the interpreter say about Covenant's dreams?
5. What does Troy thing everyone sees in Covenant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Troy begins to walk in what he thinks is the correct direction to find his men?
2. What does High Lord Elena assign?
3. How do Covenant and Elena finally learn the name of the Seventh Ward?
4. What does Covenant realize about Elena and what is her response when he tells her?
5. How does Covenant explain his feelings about the Land to Troy?
6. What do Elena and Covenant say to Troy separately as they discuss Troy's army?
7. What does Runick relate when he arrives to where the army is encamped?
8. What does Elena tell Amok and what does Amok respond and then do?
9. What does Covenant think is the reason he was called to the Land?
10. Describe the meeting between Elena and Covenant in her room.
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes The Illearth War interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Thomas Covenant. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Elena. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hile Troy. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Hile Troy. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Elena. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Illearth War help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Illearth War, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Illearth War. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 3,023 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)