|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Troy know about the plan he has made?
2. For what sign was Amok waiting?
3. Whose skin is like ice and he is almost dead but still alive?
4. What signals the start of the war?
5. What does Troy ignore about Covenant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amok tell Covenant and the Lords Council?
2. What does Elena tell Amok and what does Amok respond and then do?
3. What story does Covenant tell as the army arrives at the Rock Gardens of the Maerl?
4. What happens in Elena's room while she and Covenant are waiting for a dream interpreter?
5. What do Covenant and Lord Mhoram discuss?
6. What does the Prologue reveal about Thomas Covenant's past?
7. What does the man who picks up a hitchhiking Covenant say about a man in the next town?
8. With what is Covenant still struggling and what is his fear about it?
9. How does Troy react to the news about Lord Foul's army, and who is leading the army?
10. What does Runick relate when he arrives to where the army is encamped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes The Illearth War interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Thomas Covenant. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Elena. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hile Troy. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Illearth War, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Illearth War. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Illearth War is one book in a series of novels involving Thomas Covenant. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)