|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man with whom Covenant has a drink tell Covenant?
2. Who takes charge of the army that will go against Lord Foul's group?
3. What happens when Amok says he must go?
4. What news does the woman bring?
5. Why is Covenant angry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Covenant explain his feelings about the Land to Troy?
2. How does Troy react to the news about Lord Foul's army, and who is leading the army?
3. What does Runick relate when he arrives to where the army is encamped?
4. What do Covenant and Lord Mhoram discuss?
5. What happens to Covenant when the Sheriff takes him home?
6. What story does Covenant tell as the army arrives at the Rock Gardens of the Maerl?
7. What type of phone calls is Covenant receiving and what happens to the stables?
8. What happens in Elena's room while she and Covenant are waiting for a dream interpreter?
9. Why are Covenant's dreams important?
10. What does Lord Hyrim explain to Covenant when Hyrim wakes Covenant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Illearth War? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Illearth War including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Illearth War and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Stephen R. Donaldson.
2. What in Donaldson's background may have helped him in writing The Illearth War? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Illearth War. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Illearth War. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of corruption in The Illearth War. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)