|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does the woman bring?
2. Who wakens Covenant?
3. Why does Troy think Trell is wise?
4. What is the importance of white gold in the "Land"?
5. What does Lord Mhoram put on Covenant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hile Troy think of the Land?
2. What does Lord Hyrim explain to Covenant when Hyrim wakes Covenant?
3. Who comes in from Ra and what news does the person bring?
4. How does Troy react to the news about Lord Foul's army, and who is leading the army?
5. With what is Covenant still struggling and what is his fear about it?
6. What does Amok tell Covenant and the Lords Council?
7. Who asks to meet with Covenant?
8. How is Covenant viewed in the Land?
9. What does High Lord Elena assign?
10. What does Elena tell Amok and what does Amok respond and then do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Illearth War. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Donaldson chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Donaldson chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Donaldson's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Donaldson use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
The Illearth War is one book in a series of novels involving Thomas Covenant. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Illearth War? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Illearth War including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Illearth War and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)