|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns Troy about his men?
2. What is left of the woman with leprosy?
3. For what sign was Amok waiting?
4. Who is leading Lord Foul's army?
5. Who is never seen again after being pulled into the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Covenant when the Sheriff takes him home?
2. What does Amok tell Covenant and the Lords Council?
3. How does Troy react to the news about Lord Foul's army, and who is leading the army?
4. Who comes in from Ra and what news does the person bring?
5. What story does Covenant tell as the army arrives at the Rock Gardens of the Maerl?
6. How is Covenant viewed in the Land?
7. What does Lord Hyrim explain to Covenant when Hyrim wakes Covenant?
8. What type of phone calls is Covenant receiving and what happens to the stables?
9. Who is Hile Troy and what should he be able to be proof of to Covenant?
10. What does High Lord Elena assign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Illearth War belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Illearth War is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Illearth War based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Illearth War is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Illearth War a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)