|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Covenant think of the other land?
2. For what sign was Amok waiting?
3. What happens when Joan calls Covenant?
4. What is the one thing for which Troy cannot forgive Covenant?
5. What confuses Troy about Covenant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Covenant explain his feelings about the Land to Troy?
2. Why are Troy's men in a bad situation?
3. What does Amok tell Covenant and the Lords Council?
4. What does Runick relate when he arrives to where the army is encamped?
5. With what is Covenant still struggling and what is his fear about it?
6. How does Troy react to the news about Lord Foul's army, and who is leading the army?
7. How is Covenant viewed in the Land?
8. What does the Prologue reveal about Thomas Covenant's past?
9. What does Lord Hyrim explain to Covenant when Hyrim wakes Covenant?
10. What does High Lord Elena assign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Illearth War is one book in a series of novels involving Thomas Covenant. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes The Illearth War interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Thomas Covenant. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Elena. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hile Troy. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)