Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Covenant go to town?
2. Whose skin is like ice and he is almost dead but still alive?
3. What does Mhoram say Covenant must do?
4. Who gives each council member duties to carry out?
5. What does Covenant think will happen if he succeeds to deal with the effect the land is having on him?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what is Covenant still struggling and what is his fear about it?
2. What do Covenant and Lord Mhoram discuss?
3. How is Troy rendered unconscious?
4. How does Troy feel about Elena and where does he decide to go?
5. Who does Elena choose for the trip with Amok and how does Troy react?
6. What does Covenant realize about Elena and what is her response when he tells her?
7. Who is Hile Troy and what should he be able to be proof of to Covenant?
8. What does Troy think about as he begins his ride to war?
9. What does Amok tell Covenant and the Lords Council?
10. What does Troy admit to himself about Garroting Deep and who does Mhoram summon as the enter the wood?
Essay Topic 1
In the world of academe, fantasy fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Illearth War.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Illearth War. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Illearth War. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Illearth War and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Illearth War is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)