|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Amok to reveal to them?
2. What does Troy thing everyone sees in Covenant?
3. What does Elena do when the interpreter arrives?
4. What word do those in Revelstone have of Foul's army?
5. Who is Trell?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what is Covenant still struggling and what is his fear about it?
2. Who asks to meet with Covenant?
3. What story does Covenant tell as the army arrives at the Rock Gardens of the Maerl?
4. What type of phone calls is Covenant receiving and what happens to the stables?
5. What does Lord Hyrim explain to Covenant when Hyrim wakes Covenant?
6. What does High Lord Elena assign?
7. What do Elena and Covenant say to Troy separately as they discuss Troy's army?
8. Describe the meeting between Elena and Covenant in her room.
9. What is Covenant's response to being back in the land and why can't the people do as he asks?
10. What does the Prologue reveal about Thomas Covenant's past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes The Illearth War interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Thomas Covenant. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Elena. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hile Troy. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The Illearth War belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Illearth War. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Donaldson chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Donaldson chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Donaldson's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Donaldson use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)