|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Trell do when he loses himself for a moment?
2. Why does it seem that Covenant may have taken a journey when he wakes in Chapter 1?
3. What is the Warmark?
4. What wards does Elena tell Amok they have mastered?
5. Why is Covenant angry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Covenant respond to Lord Hyrim's request and who does Covenant think of as Hyrim is leaving?
2. What does the man who picks up a hitchhiking Covenant say about a man in the next town?
3. What story does Covenant tell as the army arrives at the Rock Gardens of the Maerl?
4. With what is Covenant still struggling and what is his fear about it?
5. What does the Prologue reveal about Thomas Covenant's past?
6. What do Covenant and Lord Mhoram discuss?
7. Who asks to meet with Covenant?
8. Why are Covenant's dreams important?
9. How does Covenant explain his feelings about the Land to Troy?
10. Who comes in from Ra and what news does the person bring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes The Illearth War interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Thomas Covenant. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Elena. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hile Troy. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Illearth War, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Illearth War. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)