|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in Revelstone who wants to meet with Covenant and the others?
2. What confuses Troy about Covenant?
3. What does Covenant do with Elena?
4. What is Thomas Covenant's occupation in the "real" world?
5. Where does Covenant tell a story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Elena and Covenant say to Troy separately as they discuss Troy's army?
2. What does Hile Troy think of the Land?
3. What type of phone calls is Covenant receiving and what happens to the stables?
4. Who comes in from Ra and what news does the person bring?
5. How does Covenant explain his feelings about the Land to Troy?
6. What do Covenant and Lord Mhoram discuss?
7. What happens to Covenant when the Sheriff takes him home?
8. What happens in Elena's room while she and Covenant are waiting for a dream interpreter?
9. How does Covenant respond to Lord Hyrim's request and who does Covenant think of as Hyrim is leaving?
10. With what is Covenant still struggling and what is his fear about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Illearth War. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Illearth War. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of corruption in The Illearth War. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The Illearth War belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
In the world of academe, fantasy fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)