|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the importance of white gold in the "Land"?
2. What concerns Troy about his men?
3. What does Covenant decide to become?
4. What signals the start of the war?
5. Who wakens Covenant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Elena and Covenant say to Troy separately as they discuss Troy's army?
2. What story does Covenant tell as the army arrives at the Rock Gardens of the Maerl?
3. What does the Prologue reveal about Thomas Covenant's past?
4. What does Elena tell Amok and what does Amok respond and then do?
5. Who is Hile Troy and what should he be able to be proof of to Covenant?
6. What does Hile Troy think of the Land?
7. What is Covenant's response to being back in the land and why can't the people do as he asks?
8. What happens when Troy and Covenant come upon Trell Atiaran-mate?
9. What does Amok tell Covenant and the Lords Council?
10. What type of phone calls is Covenant receiving and what happens to the stables?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Hile Troy. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Elena. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Illearth War help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Illearth War. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Illearth War. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of corruption in The Illearth War. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Illearth War.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Illearth War. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Illearth War. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)