|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the source of Covenant's magic?
2. What happens when Amok says he must go?
3. What does Lord Mhoram put on Covenant?
4. What has been taken over by the ravers?
5. What does Covenant stop doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Covenant's dreams important?
2. What do Elena and Covenant say to Troy separately as they discuss Troy's army?
3. With what is Covenant still struggling and what is his fear about it?
4. What is Covenant's response to being back in the land and why can't the people do as he asks?
5. What does High Lord Elena assign?
6. What happens to Covenant when the Sheriff takes him home?
7. What does the man who picks up a hitchhiking Covenant say about a man in the next town?
8. Who is Hile Troy and what should he be able to be proof of to Covenant?
9. Who comes in from Ra and what news does the person bring?
10. Who asks to meet with Covenant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Illearth War, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Illearth War. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Illearth War? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Illearth War including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Illearth War and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Hile Troy. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Elena. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Illearth War help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)