|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Trell do when he loses himself for a moment?
2. What does the man with whom Covenant has a drink tell Covenant?
3. Who does Lord Hyrim want to aid?
4. What does Covenant think will happen if he fails to deal with the effect the land is having on him?
5. What does Troy thing everyone sees in Covenant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Elena's room while she and Covenant are waiting for a dream interpreter?
2. How does Covenant feel after refusing Elena's sexual advances?
3. What is Covenant thinking about concerning the land as they are traveling?
4. What is Caerroil Wildwood's agreement with Troy and who objects?
5. What does Troy admit to himself about Garroting Deep and who does Mhoram summon as the enter the wood?
6. How do Covenant and Elena finally learn the name of the Seventh Ward?
7. Where is Troy marching his men and what does he try to convince them to believe?
8. What does the Prologue reveal about Thomas Covenant's past?
9. What does Covenant think is the reason he was called to the Land?
10. What is Covenant's logic about the Seventh Ward and seeking it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think The Illearth War is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Illearth War? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Illearth War including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Illearth War and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 2,916 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)