|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is gathering an army?
2. For what sign was Amok waiting?
3. What does Covenant think will happen if he succeeds to deal with the effect the land is having on him?
4. Who is never seen again after being pulled into the river?
5. What does Trell do when he loses himself for a moment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meeting between Elena and Covenant in her room.
2. With what is Covenant still struggling and what is his fear about it?
3. What do Covenant and Lord Mhoram discuss?
4. What happens in Elena's room while she and Covenant are waiting for a dream interpreter?
5. Who is Hile Troy and what should he be able to be proof of to Covenant?
6. Why are Troy's men in a bad situation?
7. What does High Lord Elena assign?
8. What happens when Troy and Covenant come upon Trell Atiaran-mate?
9. What does the man who picks up a hitchhiking Covenant say about a man in the next town?
10. How does Covenant respond to Lord Hyrim's request and who does Covenant think of as Hyrim is leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Hile Troy. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Elena. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Illearth War help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Illearth War, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Illearth War. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Illearth War based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Illearth War is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Illearth War a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)