|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Covenant say is suicide for a leper?
2. What is Amok to reveal to them?
3. What does Covenant think will happen if he succeeds to deal with the effect the land is having on him?
4. Whose skin is like ice and he is almost dead but still alive?
5. What does Troy believe regardless of what Covenant says?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hile Troy and what should he be able to be proof of to Covenant?
2. What does the man who picks up a hitchhiking Covenant say about a man in the next town?
3. What happens when Troy and Covenant come upon Trell Atiaran-mate?
4. Where is Covenant when Chapter 3 opens and what does he learn?
5. What does Amok tell Covenant and the Lords Council?
6. What does Hile Troy think of the Land?
7. How does Troy react to the news about Lord Foul's army, and who is leading the army?
8. What happens to Covenant when the Sheriff takes him home?
9. What does Lord Hyrim explain to Covenant when Hyrim wakes Covenant?
10. Who comes in from Ra and what news does the person bring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Hile Troy. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Elena. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Illearth War help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Thomas Covenant is no exception.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Covenant demonstrates his admirable traits. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Covenant's character flaws, and explain how the flaws create more complex and believable characters. How do you think either man's character flaws make some situations more difficult for him?
3. After analyzing Covenant's strengths and weaknesses, decide if Covenant is an appropriate "hero" of the story. Is there anyone else who might be a more admirable "hero"?
4. Answer the above questions for one other person you think could be considered a hero in The Illearth War.
Essay Topic 3
In the world of academe, fantasy fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)