|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do some of the Council members go?
2. Who is never seen again after being pulled into the river?
3. What confuses Troy about Covenant?
4. What happens when Amok says he must go?
5. What does Elena do when the interpreter arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Covenant's dreams important?
2. Who is Hile Troy and what should he be able to be proof of to Covenant?
3. What type of phone calls is Covenant receiving and what happens to the stables?
4. What do Elena and Covenant say to Troy separately as they discuss Troy's army?
5. What happens to Covenant when the Sheriff takes him home?
6. What story does Covenant tell as the army arrives at the Rock Gardens of the Maerl?
7. How is Covenant viewed in the Land?
8. What does Lord Hyrim explain to Covenant when Hyrim wakes Covenant?
9. How does Troy react to the news about Lord Foul's army, and who is leading the army?
10. Who comes in from Ra and what news does the person bring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Illearth War.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Illearth War. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Illearth War. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Stephen R. Donaldson.
2. What in Donaldson's background may have helped him in writing The Illearth War? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes The Illearth War interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Thomas Covenant. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Elena. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hile Troy. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)