|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alerts Katniss and Peeta that Cato is coming at the end of Part 3, Chapter 24?
2. In what does Katniss mix the medication she feeds to Peeta?
3. What does Katniss do in Part 3, Chapter 20 to generate food for her and Peeta?
4. What is remarkable about Peeta's appearance in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 12?
5. How does Katniss know a hovercraft is about to approach the arena during the games?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rue point out to Katniss at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 14? What does she do with this item?
2. What does Katniss tell Peeta as they travel home to District Twelve at the end of the novel? How does he feel about this? How does she feel about this?
3. What does Katniss find in the backpack when she returns to the cave where Peeta still sleeps? What does she do with it?
4. What shocking thing happens in the end of Part 2, Chapter 18 that causes Katniss to possibly give away her location by calling out Peeta's name?
5. What item is Katniss in search of during the second day in the games? Why has this become an urgent need for Katniss?
6. Why does Katniss have an intimate conversation with Peeta and offer him kisses in Part 3, Chapter 22?
7. What causes Katniss' first real injury in the Hunger Games arena?
8. What are muttations? Whose voices and eyes do these mutts have?
9. What does Katniss find when she goes searching for Rue? How does Katniss react in this situation in Part 2, Chapter 17?
10. How does Katniss force the Gamemakers to honor their change in the rules of the Hunger Games?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the training at the Training Center in the Capitol. What are Peeta and Katniss instructed to do during training that is unusual to the Hunger Games? What skills do each of the tributes exhibit, and what does this reveal about them? Compare/contrast Peeta's performance at the training center with Katniss'.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of an alliance within the Hunger Games. How common are they? Why forms one in the 74th Hunger Games, and why? Are all alliances convincing, or do some seem staged? What are the benefits and draw backs from forming an alliance in the Hunger Games?
Essay Topic 3
Determine who you believe is the protagonist of the Hunger Games and then examine that character closely. How would you describe this character? What is that character's motivation? What is that character fighting for? Does this character have any flaws?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)