|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What roles do Katniss and Peeta chose for themselves in regards to providing for their continuing survival?
2. What trap does Katniss discover Rue has fallen into when she finds her at the end of Part 2, Chapter 17?
3. Why does Katniss decide Haymitch has not send her any water in Part 2, Chapter 12?
4. What does Katniss use her last arrow to do in Part 3, Chapter 25?
5. Who does Peeta suggest Katniss does not like because they are too much like one another?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first to tell Katniss that Peeta has lost his leg? How does she react?
2. What does Rue point out to Katniss at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 14? What does she do with this item?
3. Who dies in Part 3, Chapter 24? How?
4. Who rigged the explosives around the Career's food that Katniss detonates in Part 2, Chapter 16? Why?
5. What does Katniss tell Peeta as they travel home to District Twelve at the end of the novel? How does he feel about this? How does she feel about this?
6. What does Katniss learn about Peeta on the first night of the games? What does she believe this means about his strategy?
7. Why does Katniss return to the site of the Careers' camp after the tracker jacker attack? Who helps her escape from Cato?
8. Where is Katniss when she becomes aware that the Careers have approached her hiding place? Who else does Katniss become aware of in close proximity to her?
9. Katniss tells Peeta the story of how she bought Prim's goat for her, but lies about how she got the money. How did she really get the money? Why did she lie?
10. What are muttations? Whose voices and eyes do these mutts have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fully explore Katniss' relationship with Rue, and the affect Rue's death has on Katniss. What does this tell readers about Katniss? How did Rue's death propel the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Although the Hunger Games is a long-established tradition in Panem, the rules changed more than once in the 74th Hunger Games. What rules changed, and why? How did the rule changes affect the characters and plot?
Essay Topic 3
The reader's view of Peeta Mellark may change multiple times throughout the Hunger Games; what is his role in this novel? Are his feelings for Katniss real? How can you tell? Does Peeta symbolize anything?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)