|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trap does Katniss discover Rue has fallen into when she finds her at the end of Part 2, Chapter 17?
2. Why does Katniss decide Haymitch has not send her any water in Part 2, Chapter 12?
3. What alerts Katniss and Peeta that Cato is coming at the end of Part 3, Chapter 24?
4. What is remarkable about Peeta's appearance in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 12?
5. What is nightlock?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katniss find in the backpack when she returns to the cave where Peeta still sleeps? What does she do with it?
2. Who rigged the explosives around the Career's food that Katniss detonates in Part 2, Chapter 16? Why?
3. How does Peeta suggest Haymitch won his Hunger Games in Part 3, Chapter 23? What has Katniss discovered about her relationship with Haymitch?
4. What are muttations? Whose voices and eyes do these mutts have?
5. What does Peeta tell Katniss that his father once told him about her mother?
6. Who is the first to tell Katniss that Peeta has lost his leg? How does she react?
7. What does Katniss learn about Peeta on the first night of the games? What does she believe this means about his strategy?
8. Katniss tells Peeta the story of how she bought Prim's goat for her, but lies about how she got the money. How did she really get the money? Why did she lie?
9. What does Katniss do in the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 19 to try to keep the Careers from ambushing her during her search for Peeta?
10. Where is Katniss when she becomes aware that the Careers have approached her hiding place? Who else does Katniss become aware of in close proximity to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in detail in an essay using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Life and Death Struggle
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the training at the Training Center in the Capitol. What are Peeta and Katniss instructed to do during training that is unusual to the Hunger Games? What skills do each of the tributes exhibit, and what does this reveal about them? Compare/contrast Peeta's performance at the training center with Katniss'.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the world and setting created for this novel. How did Panem come to be? How is it divided, and for what reasons? How is Panem similar and different from our own world?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)