|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katniss throw out the window of the train?
2. Why does Katniss wake early the first morning in the training center?
3. What is the Seam?
4. What is happening in the streets of the Capitol the night before the Hunger Games are to begin?
5. What animal is said to live in the woods outside District Twelve that makes the fence necessary and keeps many from going into the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Katniss and the other tributes prepared and entered into the arena at the start of the games?
2. During dinner, Katniss sees one of the servants who has been assigned to their floor and believes she knows her. However, the girl cannot speak. What is an Avox? How does Katniss know this Avox?
3. Where do Peeta and Katniss meet the first night in the training center? What do they talk about?
4. What event is about to take place in District Twelve at the beginning of the book? Why does the entire town show up for this event?
5. What skill does Peeta talk up about Katniss to Haymitch? How does Katniss respond to this praise?
6. What does Katniss think of Cinna when she first meets him? What does Cinna tell her about himself at their initial meeting?
7. What does Peeta reveal about himself when he and Katniss go to the camouflage table during training? What memory does this bring to the forefront of Katniss' mind?
8. What instruction does Cinna give to Katniss and Peeta as their chariot begins to take its place in the opening ceremony procession? How does the audience react to this act?
9. Why does Katniss fear leaving her sister with her mother? What does Katniss say to her mother to keep her from letting Prim down?
10. How many tributes are killed on the first day of the games? How many remain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different outfits Cinna puts Katniss in; why might he make the decisions he does? What does each outfit represent and/or accomplish? How does Cinna's fashion sense affect his relationship with Katniss?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in an essay using details from the book to support your conclusions:
2) Character relationships
Essay Topic 3
Explore the character of Effie Trinket. How can she be described? What are her motivations? How does she compare to the other characters working with Katniss and Peeta throughout the Hunger Games?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)