|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What score does Peeta get from the individual demonstrations with the Gamemakers?
2. What catches Katniss' attention about the dessert served the first night in the training center?
3. Where are the training rooms located in the training center?
4. What caused the fall of the previous civilization before Panem came into existence?
5. How did the birds respond to Katniss' father when he sang to them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Haymitch instruct Peeta and Katniss to behave in public? What does Peeta think of this strategy?
2. During dinner, Katniss sees one of the servants who has been assigned to their floor and believes she knows her. However, the girl cannot speak. What is an Avox? How does Katniss know this Avox?
3. What is a mockingjay? What is Katniss' personal connection to the mockingjays?
4. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
5. How many tributes are killed on the first day of the games? How many remain?
6. What are the Hunger Games? How did they come about?
7. Why does Katniss grow angry with the Gamemakers during the individual exhibition of skills? What does she do about it?
8. What confession does Peeta make at the end of the interviews that causes shock and surprise in everyone?
9. What happened to Katniss and Gale's fathers? Why are they now the providers in their separate families?
10. What instruction does Cinna give to Katniss and Peeta as their chariot begins to take its place in the opening ceremony procession? How does the audience react to this act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Determine who you believe is the protagonist of the Hunger Games and then examine that character closely. How would you describe this character? What is that character's motivation? What is that character fighting for? Does this character have any flaws?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail in an essay using evidence from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Peeta and Katniss
2) Katniss and Gale
3) Katniss and Prim
4) Katniss and her mother.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the character of Effie Trinket. How can she be described? What are her motivations? How does she compare to the other characters working with Katniss and Peeta throughout the Hunger Games?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)