|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Panem?
2. What score does Peeta get from the individual demonstrations with the Gamemakers?
3. What does Katniss note about Haymitch's appearance and behavior at dinner the first night in the training center?
4. What do the rules of the Hunger Games say about the number of winners?
5. What compliment does Peeta pay Katniss that confuses her in Part 1, Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Haymitch instruct Peeta and Katniss to behave in public? What does Peeta think of this strategy?
2. Why does Katniss give Peeta a kiss after the opening ceremonies? What does Katniss think Peeta is up to with his multiple compliments?
3. What confession does Peeta make at the end of the interviews that causes shock and surprise in everyone?
4. What parts of the interview process does Effie teach Katniss? What parts of the interview process does Haymitch teach Katniss?
5. During dinner, Katniss sees one of the servants who has been assigned to their floor and believes she knows her. However, the girl cannot speak. What is an Avox? How does Katniss know this Avox?
6. What does Katniss think of Cinna when she first meets him? What does Cinna tell her about himself at their initial meeting?
7. Why does Katniss become angry with Peeta after his announcement at the end of Part 2, Chapter 9? How does she react to Peeta alone?
8. Why does Katniss grow angry with the Gamemakers during the individual exhibition of skills? What does she do about it?
9. What is unusual about the childhood of Katniss' mother? How does this connect Peeta and Katniss?
10. What metaphor does Effie try to make to encourage Peeta and Katniss that they will do well in the Hunger Games? What is wrong with her metaphor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the training at the Training Center in the Capitol. What are Peeta and Katniss instructed to do during training that is unusual to the Hunger Games? What skills do each of the tributes exhibit, and what does this reveal about them? Compare/contrast Peeta's performance at the training center with Katniss'.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different outfits Cinna puts Katniss in; why might he make the decisions he does? What does each outfit represent and/or accomplish? How does Cinna's fashion sense affect his relationship with Katniss?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the process and role of the Reaping in this novel. What is it, why does it take place, and how does it affect the different districts? Be sure to include an explanation and examination of tessarae in your essay.
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)