|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the arenas that were built specifically for the Hunger Games after the games are over?
2. What target does Katniss hit with her arrow during the individual demonstration that causes a shower of sparks to fall on the floor?
3. What does Haymitch consider a rebellion about Peeta and Katniss' actions in the opening ceremonies?
4. What does Katniss note about Haymitch's appearance and behavior at dinner the first night in the training center?
5. What beverage does Katniss try for the first time aboard the train taking her to the Capitol?
Short Essay Questions
1. What parts of the interview process does Effie teach Katniss? What parts of the interview process does Haymitch teach Katniss?
2. What point of view does the author use to write this novel? From whose point of view is the novel told?
3. Where do Peeta and Katniss meet the first night in the training center? What do they talk about?
4. Why does Katniss fear leaving her sister with her mother? What does Katniss say to her mother to keep her from letting Prim down?
5. Who told Katniss not to go to the Cornucopia at the beginning of the games? Why does Katniss think this was bad advice? What distracts Katniss from taking all she had wanted from the Cornucopia?
6. What instruction does Cinna give to Katniss and Peeta as their chariot begins to take its place in the opening ceremony procession? How does the audience react to this act?
7. What illness does Haymitch suffer? How does Effie Trinket feel about Haymitch? What warning does Effie issue to Peeta and Katniss regarding Haymitch at the end of part 1, Chapter 3?
8. What activity are Katniss and Gale participating in at the beginning of the novel? For what reason are they doing this? What dangers are posed by their actions?
9. What are the Hunger Games? How did they come about?
10. Why does Katniss give Peeta a kiss after the opening ceremonies? What does Katniss think Peeta is up to with his multiple compliments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process and role of the Reaping in this novel. What is it, why does it take place, and how does it affect the different districts? Be sure to include an explanation and examination of tessarae in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of an alliance within the Hunger Games. How common are they? Why forms one in the 74th Hunger Games, and why? Are all alliances convincing, or do some seem staged? What are the benefits and draw backs from forming an alliance in the Hunger Games?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the training at the Training Center in the Capitol. What are Peeta and Katniss instructed to do during training that is unusual to the Hunger Games? What skills do each of the tributes exhibit, and what does this reveal about them? Compare/contrast Peeta's performance at the training center with Katniss'.
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)