|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Effie encourage Peeta and Katniss to continue to wow the audience?
2. On whose face do the cameras remain even during the President's speech at the end of the opening ceremony?
3. What reaction does Katniss get when she shoots an arrow through the apple in the mouth of a roast pig?
4. What nickname does Gale use with Katniss?
5. Why does Katniss believe she can get a weapon and some supplies from the Cornucopia despite Haymitch's advice to ignore the Cornucopia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peeta reveal about himself when he and Katniss go to the camouflage table during training? What memory does this bring to the forefront of Katniss' mind?
2. Who is Katniss afraid will be called to go to the Hunger Games? Who actually is called? How does Katniss react?
3. During dinner, Katniss sees one of the servants who has been assigned to their floor and believes she knows her. However, the girl cannot speak. What is an Avox? How does Katniss know this Avox?
4. What instruction does Cinna give to Katniss and Peeta as their chariot begins to take its place in the opening ceremony procession? How does the audience react to this act?
5. Why does Katniss give Peeta a kiss after the opening ceremonies? What does Katniss think Peeta is up to with his multiple compliments?
6. What are the Hunger Games? How did they come about?
7. Why does Haymitch punch Peeta in the face? Why does Haymitch tell Peeta he should allow a bruise to form and show on his face?
8. What is a mockingjay? What is Katniss' personal connection to the mockingjays?
9. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
10. What is unusual about the childhood of Katniss' mother? How does this connect Peeta and Katniss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different outfits Cinna puts Katniss in; why might he make the decisions he does? What does each outfit represent and/or accomplish? How does Cinna's fashion sense affect his relationship with Katniss?
Essay Topic 2
What does Peeta reveal during the interviews the night before the games begin, and what sort of reaction does this revelation receive? Examine how this action changes Peeta and Katniss' relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Although the Hunger Games is a long-established tradition in Panem, the rules changed more than once in the 74th Hunger Games. What rules changed, and why? How did the rule changes affect the characters and plot?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)