|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is katniss?
2. What catches Katniss' attention about the dessert served the first night in the training center?
3. Who is Cinna?
4. What item did Peeta once take a beating from his mother to give to Katniss, leaving her indebted to him?
5. What can Prim sell that will help she and her mother survive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Haymitch punch Peeta in the face? Why does Haymitch tell Peeta he should allow a bruise to form and show on his face?
2. What parts of the interview process does Effie teach Katniss? What parts of the interview process does Haymitch teach Katniss?
3. What did a dandelion represent to Katniss when she was eleven and starving to death? How did Katniss feed her family until she was able to file for tesserae several months later?
4. How is Katniss and the other tributes prepared and entered into the arena at the start of the games?
5. What activity are Katniss and Gale participating in at the beginning of the novel? For what reason are they doing this? What dangers are posed by their actions?
6. What skill does Peeta talk up about Katniss to Haymitch? How does Katniss respond to this praise?
7. What is a mockingjay? What is Katniss' personal connection to the mockingjays?
8. What illness does Haymitch suffer? How does Effie Trinket feel about Haymitch? What warning does Effie issue to Peeta and Katniss regarding Haymitch at the end of part 1, Chapter 3?
9. What is unusual about the childhood of Katniss' mother? How does this connect Peeta and Katniss?
10. What event is about to take place in District Twelve at the beginning of the book? Why does the entire town show up for this event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the world and setting created for this novel. How did Panem come to be? How is it divided, and for what reasons? How is Panem similar and different from our own world?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three government created creatures in this novel. Include their name, why/how they were developed, and the effect they had within the Hunger Games arena.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in detail in an essay using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
3) Life and Death Struggle
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)