|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Katniss and Peeta watch the recap of their own reaping, what causes them to laugh?
2. What was the name of the place where Panem rose out of the ashes into existence?
3. Who tells Katniss to focus on him during the interview to help her feel more comfortable?
4. Who is Cinna?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what is Katniss's reaction to her own actions during the individual demonstrations for the Gamemakers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event is about to take place in District Twelve at the beginning of the book? Why does the entire town show up for this event?
2. Why does Katniss fear leaving her sister with her mother? What does Katniss say to her mother to keep her from letting Prim down?
3. What does Peeta reveal about himself when he and Katniss go to the camouflage table during training? What memory does this bring to the forefront of Katniss' mind?
4. What is a mockingjay? What is Katniss' personal connection to the mockingjays?
5. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
6. How has Haymitch dealt with Katniss and Peeta's training up until Part 1, Chapter 8? What suddenly changes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 8?
7. What skill does Peeta talk up about Katniss to Haymitch? How does Katniss respond to this praise?
8. What parts of the interview process does Effie teach Katniss? What parts of the interview process does Haymitch teach Katniss?
9. What instruction does Cinna give to Katniss and Peeta as their chariot begins to take its place in the opening ceremony procession? How does the audience react to this act?
10. Who is Katniss afraid will be called to go to the Hunger Games? Who actually is called? How does Katniss react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the purpose and role of The Hunger Games. First, what are the Hunger Games? Why did it start and what is the purpose of its continuation? Are there any negatives to the Hunger Games? Are there any benefits?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail in an essay using evidence from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Peeta and Katniss
2) Katniss and Gale
3) Katniss and Prim
4) Katniss and her mother.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following settings in detail in an essay, discussing the importance of the setting to the plot and themes of the novel, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) The Arena
2) District Twelve
3) The Capitol
4) The Training Center.
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)