|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Career tributes?
2. On whose face do the cameras remain even during the President's speech at the end of the opening ceremony?
3. What gadgets in her bedroom in Part 1, Chapter 6 impress Katniss on her first night there?
4. What score does Peeta get from the individual demonstrations with the Gamemakers?
5. What do the rules of the Hunger Games say about the number of winners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did a dandelion represent to Katniss when she was eleven and starving to death? How did Katniss feed her family until she was able to file for tesserae several months later?
2. Why does Katniss fear leaving her sister with her mother? What does Katniss say to her mother to keep her from letting Prim down?
3. What confession does Peeta make at the end of the interviews that causes shock and surprise in everyone?
4. How is Katniss and the other tributes prepared and entered into the arena at the start of the games?
5. Katniss tells the reader in Part 1, Chapter 8 how she met Gale. How did they meet? What did Gale teach Katniss about hunting?
6. What point of view does the author use to write this novel? From whose point of view is the novel told?
7. What illness does Haymitch suffer? How does Effie Trinket feel about Haymitch? What warning does Effie issue to Peeta and Katniss regarding Haymitch at the end of part 1, Chapter 3?
8. What parts of the interview process does Effie teach Katniss? What parts of the interview process does Haymitch teach Katniss?
9. What is unusual about the childhood of Katniss' mother? How does this connect Peeta and Katniss?
10. What surprise visitors does Katniss get in the hour before she is due to leave for the Hunger Games? What reason do these people give for visiting her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different outfits Cinna puts Katniss in; why might he make the decisions he does? What does each outfit represent and/or accomplish? How does Cinna's fashion sense affect his relationship with Katniss?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following settings in detail in an essay, discussing the importance of the setting to the plot and themes of the novel, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) The Arena
2) District Twelve
3) The Capitol
4) The Training Center.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the purpose and role of The Hunger Games. First, what are the Hunger Games? Why did it start and what is the purpose of its continuation? Are there any negatives to the Hunger Games? Are there any benefits?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)