|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Seam?
2. What score does Peeta get from the individual demonstrations with the Gamemakers?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what is Katniss's reaction to her own actions during the individual demonstrations for the Gamemakers?
4. Who does Peeta think Gale is to Katniss in Part 1, Chapter 6?
5. What was the name of the place where Panem rose out of the ashes into existence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Hunger Games? How did they come about?
2. What point of view does the author use to write this novel? From whose point of view is the novel told?
3. What is unusual about the childhood of Katniss' mother? How does this connect Peeta and Katniss?
4. How does Haymitch instruct Peeta and Katniss to behave in public? What does Peeta think of this strategy?
5. What does Katniss think of Cinna when she first meets him? What does Cinna tell her about himself at their initial meeting?
6. Katniss tells the reader in Part 1, Chapter 8 how she met Gale. How did they meet? What did Gale teach Katniss about hunting?
7. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
8. During dinner, Katniss sees one of the servants who has been assigned to their floor and believes she knows her. However, the girl cannot speak. What is an Avox? How does Katniss know this Avox?
9. What surprise visitors does Katniss get in the hour before she is due to leave for the Hunger Games? What reason do these people give for visiting her?
10. Who is Katniss afraid will be called to go to the Hunger Games? Who actually is called? How does Katniss react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process and role of the Reaping in this novel. What is it, why does it take place, and how does it affect the different districts? Be sure to include an explanation and examination of tessarae in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail in an essay using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of View
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of an alliance within the Hunger Games. How common are they? Why forms one in the 74th Hunger Games, and why? Are all alliances convincing, or do some seem staged? What are the benefits and draw backs from forming an alliance in the Hunger Games?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)