|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On whose face do the cameras remain even during the President's speech at the end of the opening ceremony?
2. Which other tribute does Katniss take special notice of while watching the reapings from the other districts?
3. Who are Career tributes?
4. What helps calm Katniss in the early morning hours of the first full day at the training center?
5. Whose is the first name called in the reaping?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Peeta and Katniss meet the first night in the training center? What do they talk about?
2. Who told Katniss not to go to the Cornucopia at the beginning of the games? Why does Katniss think this was bad advice? What distracts Katniss from taking all she had wanted from the Cornucopia?
3. What event is about to take place in District Twelve at the beginning of the book? Why does the entire town show up for this event?
4. Katniss tells the reader in Part 1, Chapter 8 how she met Gale. How did they meet? What did Gale teach Katniss about hunting?
5. Why does Haymitch punch Peeta in the face? Why does Haymitch tell Peeta he should allow a bruise to form and show on his face?
6. What surprise visitors does Katniss get in the hour before she is due to leave for the Hunger Games? What reason do these people give for visiting her?
7. What did a dandelion represent to Katniss when she was eleven and starving to death? How did Katniss feed her family until she was able to file for tesserae several months later?
8. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
9. What happened to Katniss and Gale's fathers? Why are they now the providers in their separate families?
10. During dinner, Katniss sees one of the servants who has been assigned to their floor and believes she knows her. However, the girl cannot speak. What is an Avox? How does Katniss know this Avox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the purpose and role of The Hunger Games. First, what are the Hunger Games? Why did it start and what is the purpose of its continuation? Are there any negatives to the Hunger Games? Are there any benefits?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the process and role of the Reaping in this novel. What is it, why does it take place, and how does it affect the different districts? Be sure to include an explanation and examination of tessarae in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of an alliance within the Hunger Games. How common are they? Why forms one in the 74th Hunger Games, and why? Are all alliances convincing, or do some seem staged? What are the benefits and draw backs from forming an alliance in the Hunger Games?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)