|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Katniss refuse to cry in Part 1, Chapter 3 even as she leaves her family and home behind her?
2. Who is the first to greet Katniss and Peeta as they enter the Training Center?
3. What item did Peeta once take a beating from his mother to give to Katniss, leaving her indebted to him?
4. What helps calm Katniss in the early morning hours of the first full day at the training center?
5. What can Prim sell that will help she and her mother survive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Katniss tells the reader in Part 1, Chapter 8 how she met Gale. How did they meet? What did Gale teach Katniss about hunting?
2. What are the Hunger Games? How did they come about?
3. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
4. During dinner, Katniss sees one of the servants who has been assigned to their floor and believes she knows her. However, the girl cannot speak. What is an Avox? How does Katniss know this Avox?
5. How has Haymitch dealt with Katniss and Peeta's training up until Part 1, Chapter 8? What suddenly changes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 8?
6. What illness does Haymitch suffer? How does Effie Trinket feel about Haymitch? What warning does Effie issue to Peeta and Katniss regarding Haymitch at the end of part 1, Chapter 3?
7. What skill does Peeta talk up about Katniss to Haymitch? How does Katniss respond to this praise?
8. What is a mockingjay? What is Katniss' personal connection to the mockingjays?
9. What does Katniss think of Cinna when she first meets him? What does Cinna tell her about himself at their initial meeting?
10. Why does Katniss give Peeta a kiss after the opening ceremonies? What does Katniss think Peeta is up to with his multiple compliments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader's view of Peeta Mellark may change multiple times throughout the Hunger Games; what is his role in this novel? Are his feelings for Katniss real? How can you tell? Does Peeta symbolize anything?
Essay Topic 2
Although the Hunger Games is a long-established tradition in Panem, the rules changed more than once in the 74th Hunger Games. What rules changed, and why? How did the rule changes affect the characters and plot?
Essay Topic 3
Determine who you believe is the protagonist of the Hunger Games and then examine that character closely. How would you describe this character? What is that character's motivation? What is that character fighting for? Does this character have any flaws?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)