|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katniss notice is different about the bow in the training room than the ones she uses at home?
2. What is the only aspect of Katniss' appearance that her design team approves of?
3. What does Haymitch complain about in Part 1, Chapter 9 as he attempts to prepare Katniss for the interview?
4. What does Katniss throw out the window of the train?
5. Why does Katniss believe she can get a weapon and some supplies from the Cornucopia despite Haymitch's advice to ignore the Cornucopia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event is about to take place in District Twelve at the beginning of the book? Why does the entire town show up for this event?
2. What are the Hunger Games? How did they come about?
3. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
4. Why does Haymitch punch Peeta in the face? Why does Haymitch tell Peeta he should allow a bruise to form and show on his face?
5. Katniss tells the reader in Part 1, Chapter 8 how she met Gale. How did they meet? What did Gale teach Katniss about hunting?
6. What activity are Katniss and Gale participating in at the beginning of the novel? For what reason are they doing this? What dangers are posed by their actions?
7. During dinner, Katniss sees one of the servants who has been assigned to their floor and believes she knows her. However, the girl cannot speak. What is an Avox? How does Katniss know this Avox?
8. What confession does Peeta make at the end of the interviews that causes shock and surprise in everyone?
9. What is a mockingjay? What is Katniss' personal connection to the mockingjays?
10. What instruction does Cinna give to Katniss and Peeta as their chariot begins to take its place in the opening ceremony procession? How does the audience react to this act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Haymitch's role in the Hunger Games. How can be described? What are his faults? Does he have any redeeming qualities? If so, what are they? What is Haymitch's primary motivation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail in an essay using evidence from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Peeta and Katniss
2) Katniss and Gale
3) Katniss and Prim
4) Katniss and her mother.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different outfits Cinna puts Katniss in; why might he make the decisions he does? What does each outfit represent and/or accomplish? How does Cinna's fashion sense affect his relationship with Katniss?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)