|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person allowed to be with Katniss as she waits to be transported into the Hunger Games arena?
2. What does Katniss think will happen to her and Peeta's friendship strategy once they are in the arena?
3. What is Peeta's one fear the night before going into the Hunger Games?
4. What is on the pin Madge gives Katniss to wear in the arena?
5. What business has Katniss' mother begun running from their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What parts of the interview process does Effie teach Katniss? What parts of the interview process does Haymitch teach Katniss?
2. Where do Peeta and Katniss meet the first night in the training center? What do they talk about?
3. What confession does Peeta make at the end of the interviews that causes shock and surprise in everyone?
4. What metaphor does Effie try to make to encourage Peeta and Katniss that they will do well in the Hunger Games? What is wrong with her metaphor?
5. Why does Haymitch punch Peeta in the face? Why does Haymitch tell Peeta he should allow a bruise to form and show on his face?
6. How is Katniss and the other tributes prepared and entered into the arena at the start of the games?
7. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
8. What is a mockingjay? What is Katniss' personal connection to the mockingjays?
9. Who told Katniss not to go to the Cornucopia at the beginning of the games? Why does Katniss think this was bad advice? What distracts Katniss from taking all she had wanted from the Cornucopia?
10. What illness does Haymitch suffer? How does Effie Trinket feel about Haymitch? What warning does Effie issue to Peeta and Katniss regarding Haymitch at the end of part 1, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail in an essay using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of View
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the process and role of the Reaping in this novel. What is it, why does it take place, and how does it affect the different districts? Be sure to include an explanation and examination of tessarae in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the character of Effie Trinket. How can she be described? What are her motivations? How does she compare to the other characters working with Katniss and Peeta throughout the Hunger Games?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)