|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Effie encourage Peeta and Katniss to continue to wow the audience?
2. What nickname does Gale use with Katniss?
3. What caused the fall of the previous civilization before Panem came into existence?
4. Who tells Katniss to focus on him during the interview to help her feel more comfortable?
5. Who is Delly Cartwright?
Short Essay Questions
1. What illness does Haymitch suffer? How does Effie Trinket feel about Haymitch? What warning does Effie issue to Peeta and Katniss regarding Haymitch at the end of part 1, Chapter 3?
2. What activity are Katniss and Gale participating in at the beginning of the novel? For what reason are they doing this? What dangers are posed by their actions?
3. How is Katniss and the other tributes prepared and entered into the arena at the start of the games?
4. Why does Haymitch punch Peeta in the face? Why does Haymitch tell Peeta he should allow a bruise to form and show on his face?
5. Why does Katniss give Peeta a kiss after the opening ceremonies? What does Katniss think Peeta is up to with his multiple compliments?
6. How many tributes are killed on the first day of the games? How many remain?
7. What confession does Peeta make at the end of the interviews that causes shock and surprise in everyone?
8. Where do Peeta and Katniss meet the first night in the training center? What do they talk about?
9. Why does Katniss grow angry with the Gamemakers during the individual exhibition of skills? What does she do about it?
10. What event is about to take place in District Twelve at the beginning of the book? Why does the entire town show up for this event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fully explore Katniss' relationship with Rue, and the affect Rue's death has on Katniss. What does this tell readers about Katniss? How did Rue's death propel the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the world and setting created for this novel. How did Panem come to be? How is it divided, and for what reasons? How is Panem similar and different from our own world?
Essay Topic 3
What does Peeta reveal during the interviews the night before the games begin, and what sort of reaction does this revelation receive? Examine how this action changes Peeta and Katniss' relationship.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)