|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What beverage does Katniss try for the first time aboard the train taking her to the Capitol?
2. Who is Cinna?
3. What is the Seam?
4. What is the main component of the outfit Cinna dresses Katniss in for the opening ceremony of the Hunger Games?
5. What item did Peeta once take a beating from his mother to give to Katniss, leaving her indebted to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Peeta and Katniss meet the first night in the training center? What do they talk about?
2. Katniss tells the reader in Part 1, Chapter 8 how she met Gale. How did they meet? What did Gale teach Katniss about hunting?
3. Who is Katniss afraid will be called to go to the Hunger Games? Who actually is called? How does Katniss react?
4. Why does Katniss give Peeta a kiss after the opening ceremonies? What does Katniss think Peeta is up to with his multiple compliments?
5. What instruction does Cinna give to Katniss and Peeta as their chariot begins to take its place in the opening ceremony procession? How does the audience react to this act?
6. What parts of the interview process does Effie teach Katniss? What parts of the interview process does Haymitch teach Katniss?
7. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
8. What did a dandelion represent to Katniss when she was eleven and starving to death? How did Katniss feed her family until she was able to file for tesserae several months later?
9. How has Haymitch dealt with Katniss and Peeta's training up until Part 1, Chapter 8? What suddenly changes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 8?
10. What surprise visitors does Katniss get in the hour before she is due to leave for the Hunger Games? What reason do these people give for visiting her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Peeta reveal during the interviews the night before the games begin, and what sort of reaction does this revelation receive? Examine how this action changes Peeta and Katniss' relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Determine who you believe is the protagonist of the Hunger Games and then examine that character closely. How would you describe this character? What is that character's motivation? What is that character fighting for? Does this character have any flaws?
Essay Topic 3
What is Gale's role in the Hunger Games? How does his relationship with Katniss add to or take away from the plot? Does he symbolize anything?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)