|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Katniss believe she can get a weapon and some supplies from the Cornucopia despite Haymitch's advice to ignore the Cornucopia?
2. What did Gale accuse Katniss of the first time they met?
3. What is in the trees growing in the roof garden on the training center?
4. What score does Katniss get from the individual demonstrations with the Gamemakers?
5. What is one of the distinct elements of fashion in the Capitol that Katniss notes among her design team?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprise visitors does Katniss get in the hour before she is due to leave for the Hunger Games? What reason do these people give for visiting her?
2. What metaphor does Effie try to make to encourage Peeta and Katniss that they will do well in the Hunger Games? What is wrong with her metaphor?
3. How does Haymitch instruct Peeta and Katniss to behave in public? What does Peeta think of this strategy?
4. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
5. Katniss tells the reader in Part 1, Chapter 8 how she met Gale. How did they meet? What did Gale teach Katniss about hunting?
6. What did a dandelion represent to Katniss when she was eleven and starving to death? How did Katniss feed her family until she was able to file for tesserae several months later?
7. Who is Katniss afraid will be called to go to the Hunger Games? Who actually is called? How does Katniss react?
8. What confession does Peeta make at the end of the interviews that causes shock and surprise in everyone?
9. Why does Haymitch punch Peeta in the face? Why does Haymitch tell Peeta he should allow a bruise to form and show on his face?
10. Why does Katniss fear leaving her sister with her mother? What does Katniss say to her mother to keep her from letting Prim down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the world and setting created for this novel. How did Panem come to be? How is it divided, and for what reasons? How is Panem similar and different from our own world?
Essay Topic 2
The reader's view of Peeta Mellark may change multiple times throughout the Hunger Games; what is his role in this novel? Are his feelings for Katniss real? How can you tell? Does Peeta symbolize anything?
Essay Topic 3
Fully explore Katniss' relationship with Rue, and the affect Rue's death has on Katniss. What does this tell readers about Katniss? How did Rue's death propel the plot?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)