Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times is Gale entered into the drawing at the reaping in the first chapter of the novel?
2. What happens if a tribute steps off of their platform too early?
3. Who is on board the train with the tributes from District Twelve whose job it is to care for them?
4. What score does Katniss get from the individual demonstrations with the Gamemakers?
5. What does Cinna do to Katniss and Peeta's outfits as their chariot joins the procession?
Short Essay Questions
1. During dinner, Katniss sees one of the servants who has been assigned to their floor and believes she knows her. However, the girl cannot speak. What is an Avox? How does Katniss know this Avox?
2. What does Katniss decide to do about Rue? What plan does she come up with to take the advantage from the Careers?
3. How many tributes are killed on the first day of the games? How many remain?
4. What illness does Haymitch suffer? How does Effie Trinket feel about Haymitch? What warning does Effie issue to Peeta and Katniss regarding Haymitch at the end of part 1, Chapter 3?
5. Who is Katniss afraid will be called to go to the Hunger Games? Who actually is called? How does Katniss react?
6. What happened to Katniss and Gale's fathers? Why are they now the providers in their separate families?
7. What does Katniss do in the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 19 to try to keep the Careers from ambushing her during her search for Peeta?
8. Why does Katniss have an intimate conversation with Peeta and offer him kisses in Part 3, Chapter 22?
9. What are muttations? Whose voices and eyes do these mutts have?
10. How does Peeta suggest Haymitch won his Hunger Games in Part 3, Chapter 23? What has Katniss discovered about her relationship with Haymitch?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the world and setting created for this novel. How did Panem come to be? How is it divided, and for what reasons? How is Panem similar and different from our own world?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in an essay using details from the book to support your conclusions:
2) Character relationships
Essay Topic 3
What does Peeta reveal during the interviews the night before the games begin, and what sort of reaction does this revelation receive? Examine how this action changes Peeta and Katniss' relationship.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)