|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What business has Katniss' mother begun running from their home?
2. What weapon does Gale recommend Katniss get as soon as she can in the Hunger Games' arena?
3. Why does Peeta ask Katniss not to release his hand during the procession?
4. What is happening in the streets of the Capitol the night before the Hunger Games are to begin?
5. Who is the first to greet Katniss and Peeta as they enter the Training Center?
Short Essay Questions
1. Katniss tells the reader in Part 1, Chapter 8 how she met Gale. How did they meet? What did Gale teach Katniss about hunting?
2. What point of view does the author use to write this novel? From whose point of view is the novel told?
3. What metaphor does Effie try to make to encourage Peeta and Katniss that they will do well in the Hunger Games? What is wrong with her metaphor?
4. How has Haymitch dealt with Katniss and Peeta's training up until Part 1, Chapter 8? What suddenly changes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 8?
5. During dinner, Katniss sees one of the servants who has been assigned to their floor and believes she knows her. However, the girl cannot speak. What is an Avox? How does Katniss know this Avox?
6. Who is Katniss afraid will be called to go to the Hunger Games? Who actually is called? How does Katniss react?
7. What skill does Peeta talk up about Katniss to Haymitch? How does Katniss respond to this praise?
8. Why does Katniss grow angry with the Gamemakers during the individual exhibition of skills? What does she do about it?
9. What happened to Katniss and Gale's fathers? Why are they now the providers in their separate families?
10. What did a dandelion represent to Katniss when she was eleven and starving to death? How did Katniss feed her family until she was able to file for tesserae several months later?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader's view of Peeta Mellark may change multiple times throughout the Hunger Games; what is his role in this novel? Are his feelings for Katniss real? How can you tell? Does Peeta symbolize anything?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the world and setting created for this novel. How did Panem come to be? How is it divided, and for what reasons? How is Panem similar and different from our own world?
Essay Topic 3
What does Peeta reveal during the interviews the night before the games begin, and what sort of reaction does this revelation receive? Examine how this action changes Peeta and Katniss' relationship.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)