|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does reaping mean?
2. What helps calm Katniss in the early morning hours of the first full day at the training center?
3. What is District Twelve?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what is Katniss's reaction to her own actions during the individual demonstrations for the Gamemakers?
5. What is Buttercup?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Katniss' first real injury in the Hunger Games arena?
2. What point of view does the author use to write this novel? From whose point of view is the novel told?
3. What is unusual about the childhood of Katniss' mother? How does this connect Peeta and Katniss?
4. What does Peeta tell Katniss that his father once told him about her mother?
5. What does Katniss find in the backpack when she returns to the cave where Peeta still sleeps? What does she do with it?
6. Who told Katniss not to go to the Cornucopia at the beginning of the games? Why does Katniss think this was bad advice? What distracts Katniss from taking all she had wanted from the Cornucopia?
7. Why does Katniss have an intimate conversation with Peeta and offer him kisses in Part 3, Chapter 22?
8. What metaphor does Effie try to make to encourage Peeta and Katniss that they will do well in the Hunger Games? What is wrong with her metaphor?
9. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
10. What illness does Haymitch suffer? How does Effie Trinket feel about Haymitch? What warning does Effie issue to Peeta and Katniss regarding Haymitch at the end of part 1, Chapter 3?
Essay Topic 1
Although the Hunger Games is a long-established tradition in Panem, the rules changed more than once in the 74th Hunger Games. What rules changed, and why? How did the rule changes affect the characters and plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three government created creatures in this novel. Include their name, why/how they were developed, and the effect they had within the Hunger Games arena.
Essay Topic 3
Fully explore Katniss' relationship with Rue, and the affect Rue's death has on Katniss. What does this tell readers about Katniss? How did Rue's death propel the plot?
This section contains 1,710 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)