|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon does Katniss have hidden in the woods which she uses to hunt with?
2. What helps calm Katniss in the early morning hours of the first full day at the training center?
3. What is the main component of the outfit Cinna dresses Katniss in for the opening ceremony of the Hunger Games?
4. Whose is the first name called in the reaping?
5. What item did Peeta once take a beating from his mother to give to Katniss, leaving her indebted to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who told Katniss not to go to the Cornucopia at the beginning of the games? Why does Katniss think this was bad advice? What distracts Katniss from taking all she had wanted from the Cornucopia?
2. How does Haymitch instruct Peeta and Katniss to behave in public? What does Peeta think of this strategy?
3. What metaphor does Effie try to make to encourage Peeta and Katniss that they will do well in the Hunger Games? What is wrong with her metaphor?
4. What are the Hunger Games? How did they come about?
5. What is unusual about the childhood of Katniss' mother? How does this connect Peeta and Katniss?
6. How has Haymitch dealt with Katniss and Peeta's training up until Part 1, Chapter 8? What suddenly changes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 8?
7. Why does Katniss become angry with Peeta after his announcement at the end of Part 2, Chapter 9? How does she react to Peeta alone?
8. What skill does Peeta talk up about Katniss to Haymitch? How does Katniss respond to this praise?
9. What does Peeta reveal about himself when he and Katniss go to the camouflage table during training? What memory does this bring to the forefront of Katniss' mind?
10. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the world and setting created for this novel. How did Panem come to be? How is it divided, and for what reasons? How is Panem similar and different from our own world?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the purpose and role of The Hunger Games. First, what are the Hunger Games? Why did it start and what is the purpose of its continuation? Are there any negatives to the Hunger Games? Are there any benefits?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Haymitch's role in the Hunger Games. How can be described? What are his faults? Does he have any redeeming qualities? If so, what are they? What is Haymitch's primary motivation?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)