|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Peeta think Gale is to Katniss in Part 1, Chapter 6?
2. Why does Katniss wake early the first morning in the training center?
3. On whose face do the cameras remain even during the President's speech at the end of the opening ceremony?
4. What caused the fall of the previous civilization before Panem came into existence?
5. What is the Hob?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skill does Peeta talk up about Katniss to Haymitch? How does Katniss respond to this praise?
2. What metaphor does Effie try to make to encourage Peeta and Katniss that they will do well in the Hunger Games? What is wrong with her metaphor?
3. What point of view does the author use to write this novel? From whose point of view is the novel told?
4. How does Haymitch instruct Peeta and Katniss to behave in public? What does Peeta think of this strategy?
5. What happened to Katniss and Gale's fathers? Why are they now the providers in their separate families?
6. What activity are Katniss and Gale participating in at the beginning of the novel? For what reason are they doing this? What dangers are posed by their actions?
7. What surprise visitors does Katniss get in the hour before she is due to leave for the Hunger Games? What reason do these people give for visiting her?
8. Why does Katniss fear leaving her sister with her mother? What does Katniss say to her mother to keep her from letting Prim down?
9. What event is about to take place in District Twelve at the beginning of the book? Why does the entire town show up for this event?
10. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the character of Effie Trinket. How can she be described? What are her motivations? How does she compare to the other characters working with Katniss and Peeta throughout the Hunger Games?
Essay Topic 2
What does Peeta reveal during the interviews the night before the games begin, and what sort of reaction does this revelation receive? Examine how this action changes Peeta and Katniss' relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three government created creatures in this novel. Include their name, why/how they were developed, and the effect they had within the Hunger Games arena.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)