|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Peeta do in his individual demonstration for the Gamemakers?
2. Which other tribute does Katniss take special notice of while watching the reapings from the other districts?
3. What does reaping mean?
4. What is Panem?
5. What did Gale accuse Katniss of the first time they met?
Short Essay Questions
1. What activity are Katniss and Gale participating in at the beginning of the novel? For what reason are they doing this? What dangers are posed by their actions?
2. Why does Katniss give Peeta a kiss after the opening ceremonies? What does Katniss think Peeta is up to with his multiple compliments?
3. Who is Katniss afraid will be called to go to the Hunger Games? Who actually is called? How does Katniss react?
4. What parts of the interview process does Effie teach Katniss? What parts of the interview process does Haymitch teach Katniss?
5. What does Peeta reveal about himself when he and Katniss go to the camouflage table during training? What memory does this bring to the forefront of Katniss' mind?
6. What confession does Peeta make at the end of the interviews that causes shock and surprise in everyone?
7. How does Haymitch instruct Peeta and Katniss to behave in public? What does Peeta think of this strategy?
8. Who told Katniss not to go to the Cornucopia at the beginning of the games? Why does Katniss think this was bad advice? What distracts Katniss from taking all she had wanted from the Cornucopia?
9. What is unusual about the childhood of Katniss' mother? How does this connect Peeta and Katniss?
10. Why does Katniss become angry with Peeta after his announcement at the end of Part 2, Chapter 9? How does she react to Peeta alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fully explore Katniss' relationship with Rue, and the affect Rue's death has on Katniss. What does this tell readers about Katniss? How did Rue's death propel the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of an alliance within the Hunger Games. How common are they? Why forms one in the 74th Hunger Games, and why? Are all alliances convincing, or do some seem staged? What are the benefits and draw backs from forming an alliance in the Hunger Games?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Haymitch's role in the Hunger Games. How can be described? What are his faults? Does he have any redeeming qualities? If so, what are they? What is Haymitch's primary motivation?
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)