|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which other tribute does Katniss take special notice of while watching the reapings from the other districts?
2. What is the main goal of getting a high score from the Gamemakers in the individual demonstrations?
3. What did Peeta do in his individual demonstration for the Gamemakers?
4. What does Haymitch instruct Peeta and Katniss to do as they enter the interview area?
5. What is in the trees growing in the roof garden on the training center?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katniss think of Cinna when she first meets him? What does Cinna tell her about himself at their initial meeting?
2. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
3. Who told Katniss not to go to the Cornucopia at the beginning of the games? Why does Katniss think this was bad advice? What distracts Katniss from taking all she had wanted from the Cornucopia?
4. Why does Katniss fear leaving her sister with her mother? What does Katniss say to her mother to keep her from letting Prim down?
5. What instruction does Cinna give to Katniss and Peeta as their chariot begins to take its place in the opening ceremony procession? How does the audience react to this act?
6. Where do Peeta and Katniss meet the first night in the training center? What do they talk about?
7. Why does Katniss become angry with Peeta after his announcement at the end of Part 2, Chapter 9? How does she react to Peeta alone?
8. What is a mockingjay? What is Katniss' personal connection to the mockingjays?
9. What event is about to take place in District Twelve at the beginning of the book? Why does the entire town show up for this event?
10. During dinner, Katniss sees one of the servants who has been assigned to their floor and believes she knows her. However, the girl cannot speak. What is an Avox? How does Katniss know this Avox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Haymitch's role in the Hunger Games. How can be described? What are his faults? Does he have any redeeming qualities? If so, what are they? What is Haymitch's primary motivation?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the purpose and role of The Hunger Games. First, what are the Hunger Games? Why did it start and what is the purpose of its continuation? Are there any negatives to the Hunger Games? Are there any benefits?
Essay Topic 3
Although the Hunger Games is a long-established tradition in Panem, the rules changed more than once in the 74th Hunger Games. What rules changed, and why? How did the rule changes affect the characters and plot?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)