|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is District Twelve?
(a) A coal mining community in Panem.
(b) An industrial community in Panem.
(c) An agricultural community in Panem.
(d) A fishing community in Panem.
2. What role does Effie Trinket play in the reaping?
(a) She introduces the previous winners from District Twelve.
(b) She directs the television crews.
(c) She reads the history of Panem.
(d) She draws the names of the tributes.
3. What is the object of the outfits the tributes wear in the opening ceremony?
(a) To represent their industry in their district.
(b) To show off their strengths.
(c) To show off their district pride.
(d) To represent their special interests and hobbies.
4. Who are Career tributes?
(a) Trainers who teach the other tributes how to fight and win the games.
(b) Paid volunteers who are hired by rich families to take their children's places in the games.
(c) Tributes from the richer districts who train year round for the games and feel going to the games is an honor.
(d) Tributes from districts that specialize in professional industries.
5. What is unusual about the ladder that lifts Katniss into the hovercraft that will take her to the Hunger Games arena?
(a) It has a force field that keeps her stuck on.
(b) It is too short to lift Katniss into the craft.
(c) It is too slick to hold on.
(d) It is made of gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person allowed to be with Katniss as she waits to be transported into the Hunger Games arena?
2. What is in the trees growing in the roof garden on the training center?
3. How many times is Gale entered into the drawing at the reaping in the first chapter of the novel?
4. What can Prim sell that will help she and her mother survive?
5. Who is on board the train with the tributes from District Twelve whose job it is to care for them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprise visitors does Katniss get in the hour before she is due to leave for the Hunger Games? What reason do these people give for visiting her?
2. What metaphor does Effie try to make to encourage Peeta and Katniss that they will do well in the Hunger Games? What is wrong with her metaphor?
3. What activity are Katniss and Gale participating in at the beginning of the novel? For what reason are they doing this? What dangers are posed by their actions?
4. Why does Katniss become angry with Peeta after his announcement at the end of Part 2, Chapter 9? How does she react to Peeta alone?
5. Why does Haymitch punch Peeta in the face? Why does Haymitch tell Peeta he should allow a bruise to form and show on his face?
6. What did a dandelion represent to Katniss when she was eleven and starving to death? How did Katniss feed her family until she was able to file for tesserae several months later?
7. What illness does Haymitch suffer? How does Effie Trinket feel about Haymitch? What warning does Effie issue to Peeta and Katniss regarding Haymitch at the end of part 1, Chapter 3?
8. What parts of the interview process does Effie teach Katniss? What parts of the interview process does Haymitch teach Katniss?
9. How does Haymitch instruct Peeta and Katniss to behave in public? What does Peeta think of this strategy?
10. Why does Katniss grow angry with the Gamemakers during the individual exhibition of skills? What does she do about it?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)