|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose is the first name called in the reaping?
(a) Haymitch Abernathy.
(b) Peeta Mellark.
(c) Katniss Everdeen.
(d) Primrose Everdeen.
2. What is District Twelve?
(a) A fishing community in Panem.
(b) An industrial community in Panem.
(c) An agricultural community in Panem.
(d) A coal mining community in Panem.
3. Why does Katniss believe she can get a weapon and some supplies from the Cornucopia despite Haymitch's advice to ignore the Cornucopia?
(a) The others are distracted by checking out the area around them.
(b) She is the only one who can use the bow and arrow.
(c) The others are distracted by the announcer's voice.
(d) She can run faster than most of the other tributes.
4. What caused the fall of the previous civilization before Panem came into existence?
(a) War and nuclear fallout.
(b) Excess and glutton.
(c) Natural disasters and war.
(d) Drought and famine.
5. On whose face do the cameras remain even during the President's speech at the end of the opening ceremony?
(a) Katniss' and Peeta's.
(b) Cinna's and Haymitch's.
(c) The crowd.
(d) The tributes from District One.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Prim sell that will help she and her mother survive?
2. Who is Delly Cartwright?
3. Who does Peeta think Gale is to Katniss in Part 1, Chapter 6?
4. What was the name of the place where Panem rose out of the ashes into existence?
5. What catches Katniss' attention about the dessert served the first night in the training center?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katniss fear leaving her sister with her mother? What does Katniss say to her mother to keep her from letting Prim down?
2. What parts of the interview process does Effie teach Katniss? What parts of the interview process does Haymitch teach Katniss?
3. How has Haymitch dealt with Katniss and Peeta's training up until Part 1, Chapter 8? What suddenly changes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 8?
4. What is a mockingjay? What is Katniss' personal connection to the mockingjays?
5. What surprise visitors does Katniss get in the hour before she is due to leave for the Hunger Games? What reason do these people give for visiting her?
6. What instruction does Cinna give to Katniss and Peeta as their chariot begins to take its place in the opening ceremony procession? How does the audience react to this act?
7. What happened to Katniss and Gale's fathers? Why are they now the providers in their separate families?
8. How is Katniss and the other tributes prepared and entered into the arena at the start of the games?
9. What did a dandelion represent to Katniss when she was eleven and starving to death? How did Katniss feed her family until she was able to file for tesserae several months later?
10. What does Katniss think of Cinna when she first meets him? What does Cinna tell her about himself at their initial meeting?
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)