|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the crowd react as Katniss and Peeta enter the city during the procession?
(a) They scream their names and cheer.
(b) They ignore them.
(c) They laugh.
(d) They boo.
2. What target does Katniss hit with her arrow during the individual demonstration that causes a shower of sparks to fall on the floor?
(a) An explosives demonstration station.
(b) A fire cracker.
(c) A light fixture.
(d) An open electrical outlet.
3. Why does Katniss refuse to cry in Part 1, Chapter 3 even as she leaves her family and home behind her?
(a) She is afraid once she starts she cannot stop.
(b) She does not want to appear weak to the other tributes.
(c) She is not sad.
(d) She does not want to give the Capitol the satisfaction of breaking her.
4. What happens to the arenas that were built specifically for the Hunger Games after the games are over?
(a) They are turned into memorial sites for the dead tributes.
(b) They are destroyed and rebuilt for the following year's games.
(c) They are left to ruin.
(d) They are turned into tourist attractions.
5. What did Gale accuse Katniss of the first time they met?
(a) Spying on him.
(b) Stealing from his snare.
(c) Following him.
(d) Stealing from his stash of berries.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Atala?
2. What does Katniss notice is different about the bow in the training room than the ones she uses at home?
3. What is Katniss' design team doing to her as Part 1, Chapter 5 begins?
4. What item did Peeta once take a beating from his mother to give to Katniss, leaving her indebted to him?
5. Who tells Katniss to focus on him during the interview to help her feel more comfortable?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many tributes are killed on the first day of the games? How many remain?
2. Why does Haymitch punch Peeta in the face? Why does Haymitch tell Peeta he should allow a bruise to form and show on his face?
3. What is unusual about the childhood of Katniss' mother? How does this connect Peeta and Katniss?
4. What does Peeta reveal about himself when he and Katniss go to the camouflage table during training? What memory does this bring to the forefront of Katniss' mind?
5. What are the Hunger Games? How did they come about?
6. How is Katniss and the other tributes prepared and entered into the arena at the start of the games?
7. What illness does Haymitch suffer? How does Effie Trinket feel about Haymitch? What warning does Effie issue to Peeta and Katniss regarding Haymitch at the end of part 1, Chapter 3?
8. Who told Katniss not to go to the Cornucopia at the beginning of the games? Why does Katniss think this was bad advice? What distracts Katniss from taking all she had wanted from the Cornucopia?
9. What metaphor does Effie try to make to encourage Peeta and Katniss that they will do well in the Hunger Games? What is wrong with her metaphor?
10. What event is about to take place in District Twelve at the beginning of the book? Why does the entire town show up for this event?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)