|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Katniss to focus on him during the interview to help her feel more comfortable?
2. What compliment does Peeta pay Katniss that confuses her in Part 1, Chapter 7?
(a) She is a good flirt.
(b) She can cook well.
(c) She is unaware of the effect she has on people.
(d) She can play the piano well.
3. What does Cinna do to Katniss and Peeta's outfits as their chariot joins the procession?
(a) Removes the headpieces.
(b) Rips them away.
(c) Adds flowers.
(d) Lights them on fire with synthetic fire.
4. How many times is Gale entered into the drawing at the reaping in the first chapter of the novel?
5. Why does Peeta ask Katniss not to release his hand during the procession?
(a) He is afraid.
(b) He thinks he might fall out of the chariot.
(c) He wants the crowd to think she loves him.
(d) He is concerned Haymitch will not like it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the fall of the previous civilization before Panem came into existence?
2. What one talent does Peeta have that Katniss feels he might be able to use in the arena?
3. What is Peeta's one fear the night before going into the Hunger Games?
4. What is in the trees growing in the roof garden on the training center?
5. What animal is said to live in the woods outside District Twelve that makes the fence necessary and keeps many from going into the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peeta not want Katniss to go to the feast in Part 3, Chapter 20 even though it could mean healing medicine for him? What does Katniss do?
2. What point of view does the author use to write this novel? From whose point of view is the novel told?
3. Who told Katniss not to go to the Cornucopia at the beginning of the games? Why does Katniss think this was bad advice? What distracts Katniss from taking all she had wanted from the Cornucopia?
4. What causes Katniss' first real injury in the Hunger Games arena?
5. How does Katniss force the Gamemakers to honor their change in the rules of the Hunger Games?
6. Who rigged the explosives around the Career's food that Katniss detonates in Part 2, Chapter 16? Why?
7. What is unusual about the childhood of Katniss' mother? How does this connect Peeta and Katniss?
8. Who does Katniss discover following her after she wakes from the tracker jacker venom? How does this person help Katniss heal her tracker jacker stings?
9. Who attacks Katniss in Part 3, Chapter 21 as she attempts to retrieve the backpack at the feast? What happens to Katniss' attacker?
10. What activity are Katniss and Gale participating in at the beginning of the novel? For what reason are they doing this? What dangers are posed by their actions?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)