|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Katniss think of the meal she shares with Cinna on their first meeting?
(a) That she could never afford to make such a meal in Distict Twelve.
(b) It does not taste very good.
(c) It is too rich.
(d) That the Capitol is trying to starve her before the Hunger Games.
2. What item did Peeta once take a beating from his mother to give to Katniss, leaving her indebted to him?
3. When Katniss and Peeta watch the recap of their own reaping, what causes them to laugh?
(a) Their own appearances.
(b) The mayor's uncomfortable speech.
(c) Effie's crooked wig.
(d) Haymitch's fall from the stage.
4. Who is on board the train with the tributes from District Twelve whose job it is to care for them?
(a) Workers from District Twelve.
(b) Workers from the Capitol.
(c) Workers from District Two.
(d) Workers from the train company.
5. Who is Cinna?
(a) Katniss' hairdresser.
(b) Katniss' stylist.
(c) Katniss' tutor.
(d) Katniss' cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Haymitch complain about in Part 1, Chapter 9 as he attempts to prepare Katniss for the interview?
2. What reaction does Katniss get when she shoots an arrow through the apple in the mouth of a roast pig?
3. What nickname does Gale use with Katniss?
4. What does Haymitch consider a rebellion about Peeta and Katniss' actions in the opening ceremonies?
5. What do the rules of the Hunger Games say about the number of winners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What point of view does the author use to write this novel? From whose point of view is the novel told?
2. What happened to Katniss and Gale's fathers? Why are they now the providers in their separate families?
3. What is unusual about the childhood of Katniss' mother? How does this connect Peeta and Katniss?
4. What confession does Peeta make at the end of the interviews that causes shock and surprise in everyone?
5. What did a dandelion represent to Katniss when she was eleven and starving to death? How did Katniss feed her family until she was able to file for tesserae several months later?
6. How many tributes are killed on the first day of the games? How many remain?
7. What is a mockingjay? What is Katniss' personal connection to the mockingjays?
8. What instruction does Cinna give to Katniss and Peeta as their chariot begins to take its place in the opening ceremony procession? How does the audience react to this act?
9. Why does Katniss become angry with Peeta after his announcement at the end of Part 2, Chapter 9? How does she react to Peeta alone?
10. What illness does Haymitch suffer? How does Effie Trinket feel about Haymitch? What warning does Effie issue to Peeta and Katniss regarding Haymitch at the end of part 1, Chapter 3?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)