|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On whose face do the cameras remain even during the President's speech at the end of the opening ceremony?
(a) The crowd.
(b) Cinna's and Haymitch's.
(c) The tributes from District One.
(d) Katniss' and Peeta's.
2. What is on the pin Madge gives Katniss to wear in the arena?
(a) A hummingbird.
(b) A jabberjay.
(c) A mockingbird.
(d) A mockingjay.
3. What does Cinna do to Katniss and Peeta's outfits as their chariot joins the procession?
(a) Adds flowers.
(b) Lights them on fire with synthetic fire.
(c) Removes the headpieces.
(d) Rips them away.
4. What item did Peeta once take a beating from his mother to give to Katniss, leaving her indebted to him?
5. Where are the training rooms located in the training center?
(a) In the center.
(b) On the ground floor.
(c) Below ground level.
(d) The roof.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps calm Katniss in the early morning hours of the first full day at the training center?
2. What business has Katniss' mother begun running from their home?
3. What does Katniss think of the meal she shares with Cinna on their first meeting?
4. What is the main goal of getting a high score from the Gamemakers in the individual demonstrations?
5. What can Prim sell that will help she and her mother survive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Katniss and the other tributes prepared and entered into the arena at the start of the games?
2. Why does Haymitch punch Peeta in the face? Why does Haymitch tell Peeta he should allow a bruise to form and show on his face?
3. What metaphor does Effie try to make to encourage Peeta and Katniss that they will do well in the Hunger Games? What is wrong with her metaphor?
4. What point of view does the author use to write this novel? From whose point of view is the novel told?
5. During dinner, Katniss sees one of the servants who has been assigned to their floor and believes she knows her. However, the girl cannot speak. What is an Avox? How does Katniss know this Avox?
6. What event is about to take place in District Twelve at the beginning of the book? Why does the entire town show up for this event?
7. Why does Katniss give Peeta a kiss after the opening ceremonies? What does Katniss think Peeta is up to with his multiple compliments?
8. What illness does Haymitch suffer? How does Effie Trinket feel about Haymitch? What warning does Effie issue to Peeta and Katniss regarding Haymitch at the end of part 1, Chapter 3?
9. How has Haymitch dealt with Katniss and Peeta's training up until Part 1, Chapter 8? What suddenly changes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 8?
10. How many tributes are killed on the first day of the games? How many remain?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)