|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What target does Katniss hit with her arrow during the individual demonstration that causes a shower of sparks to fall on the floor?
(a) A light fixture.
(b) An explosives demonstration station.
(c) A fire cracker.
(d) An open electrical outlet.
2. Why does Katniss refuse to cry in Part 1, Chapter 3 even as she leaves her family and home behind her?
(a) She does not want to appear weak to the other tributes.
(b) She does not want to give the Capitol the satisfaction of breaking her.
(c) She is not sad.
(d) She is afraid once she starts she cannot stop.
3. What did Peeta do in his individual demonstration for the Gamemakers?
(a) He threw knives.
(b) He painted a picture on the floor.
(c) He wrestled an Avox.
(d) He threw around some heavy objects.
4. What helps calm Katniss in the early morning hours of the first full day at the training center?
(a) A long talk with Effie.
(b) Clothing that resemble what she wore back home.
(c) A good breakfast.
(d) Peeta's presence.
5. What happens if a tribute steps off of their platform too early?
(a) They are taken out of the game.
(b) They are given a time penalty.
(c) A land mine is detonated.
(d) They are imprisoned and sentenced to death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Buttercup?
2. What is the main component of the outfit Cinna dresses Katniss in for the opening ceremony of the Hunger Games?
3. Why is Katniss drawn in by Rue, the girl from District Eleven?
4. What comment does Effie Trinket make about Katniss and Peeta's eating habits?
5. How does the Avox respond when Katniss tries to apologize in Part 1, Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Haymitch punch Peeta in the face? Why does Haymitch tell Peeta he should allow a bruise to form and show on his face?
2. What illness does Haymitch suffer? How does Effie Trinket feel about Haymitch? What warning does Effie issue to Peeta and Katniss regarding Haymitch at the end of part 1, Chapter 3?
3. How is Katniss and the other tributes prepared and entered into the arena at the start of the games?
4. During dinner, Katniss sees one of the servants who has been assigned to their floor and believes she knows her. However, the girl cannot speak. What is an Avox? How does Katniss know this Avox?
5. Who told Katniss not to go to the Cornucopia at the beginning of the games? Why does Katniss think this was bad advice? What distracts Katniss from taking all she had wanted from the Cornucopia?
6. What point of view does the author use to write this novel? From whose point of view is the novel told?
7. Why does Katniss fear leaving her sister with her mother? What does Katniss say to her mother to keep her from letting Prim down?
8. Where do Peeta and Katniss meet the first night in the training center? What do they talk about?
9. What is unusual about the childhood of Katniss' mother? How does this connect Peeta and Katniss?
10. What does Peeta reveal about himself when he and Katniss go to the camouflage table during training? What memory does this bring to the forefront of Katniss' mind?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)