|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Peeta do in his individual demonstration for the Gamemakers?
(a) He threw knives.
(b) He painted a picture on the floor.
(c) He threw around some heavy objects.
(d) He wrestled an Avox.
2. Who is the only person allowed to be with Katniss as she waits to be transported into the Hunger Games arena?
(c) The Avox.
3. What target does Katniss hit with her arrow during the individual demonstration that causes a shower of sparks to fall on the floor?
(a) A light fixture.
(b) An explosives demonstration station.
(c) A fire cracker.
(d) An open electrical outlet.
4. What does Katniss note about Haymitch's appearance and behavior at dinner the first night in the training center?
(a) He is beligerant and angry.
(b) He is calm and friendly.
(c) He is clean and appears sober.
(d) He is drunk and dirty.
5. What happens to the arenas that were built specifically for the Hunger Games after the games are over?
(a) They are turned into memorial sites for the dead tributes.
(b) They are turned into tourist attractions.
(c) They are destroyed and rebuilt for the following year's games.
(d) They are left to ruin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in Katniss' room when she returns from talking to Peeta on the roof?
2. What animal is said to live in the woods outside District Twelve that makes the fence necessary and keeps many from going into the woods?
3. Which other tribute does Katniss take special notice of while watching the reapings from the other districts?
4. How long are the tributes forced to stand on their platforms before rushing to gather supplies at the Cornucopia at the start of the games?
5. What is Katniss' design team doing to her as Part 1, Chapter 5 begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Haymitch instruct Peeta and Katniss to behave in public? What does Peeta think of this strategy?
2. Who is Katniss afraid will be called to go to the Hunger Games? Who actually is called? How does Katniss react?
3. Why does Katniss fear leaving her sister with her mother? What does Katniss say to her mother to keep her from letting Prim down?
4. What is a mockingjay? What is Katniss' personal connection to the mockingjays?
5. What surprise visitors does Katniss get in the hour before she is due to leave for the Hunger Games? What reason do these people give for visiting her?
6. Who told Katniss not to go to the Cornucopia at the beginning of the games? Why does Katniss think this was bad advice? What distracts Katniss from taking all she had wanted from the Cornucopia?
7. Katniss tells the reader in Part 1, Chapter 8 how she met Gale. How did they meet? What did Gale teach Katniss about hunting?
8. Why does Katniss become angry with Peeta after his announcement at the end of Part 2, Chapter 9? How does she react to Peeta alone?
9. What happened to Katniss and Gale's fathers? Why are they now the providers in their separate families?
10. How is Katniss and the other tributes prepared and entered into the arena at the start of the games?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)