|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Katniss wake early the first morning in the training center?
(a) She is homesick.
(b) She is excited to begin training.
(c) She has had nightmares.
(d) She is anxious to begin the games.
2. What happens to the arenas that were built specifically for the Hunger Games after the games are over?
(a) They are left to ruin.
(b) They are destroyed and rebuilt for the following year's games.
(c) They are turned into tourist attractions.
(d) They are turned into memorial sites for the dead tributes.
3. What compliment does Peeta pay Katniss that confuses her in Part 1, Chapter 7?
(a) She can cook well.
(b) She can play the piano well.
(c) She is unaware of the effect she has on people.
(d) She is a good flirt.
4. What does Haymitch consider a rebellion about Peeta and Katniss' actions in the opening ceremonies?
(a) Their holding hands.
(b) Their choice to sit together in the chariot.
(c) Their fire suits.
(d) Their refusal to listen to the president's speech.
5. Why does Katniss believe she can get a weapon and some supplies from the Cornucopia despite Haymitch's advice to ignore the Cornucopia?
(a) She is the only one who can use the bow and arrow.
(b) She can run faster than most of the other tributes.
(c) The others are distracted by checking out the area around them.
(d) The others are distracted by the announcer's voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often do high scoring tributes win the Hunger Games?
2. What is on the pin Madge gives Katniss to wear in the arena?
3. How did the birds respond to Katniss' father when he sang to them?
4. What is unusual about the ladder that lifts Katniss into the hovercraft that will take her to the Hunger Games arena?
5. What weapon does Gale recommend Katniss get as soon as she can in the Hunger Games' arena?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many tributes are killed on the first day of the games? How many remain?
2. What does Peeta reveal about himself when he and Katniss go to the camouflage table during training? What memory does this bring to the forefront of Katniss' mind?
3. What did a dandelion represent to Katniss when she was eleven and starving to death? How did Katniss feed her family until she was able to file for tesserae several months later?
4. What confession does Peeta make at the end of the interviews that causes shock and surprise in everyone?
5. How does Haymitch instruct Peeta and Katniss to behave in public? What does Peeta think of this strategy?
6. Why does Haymitch punch Peeta in the face? Why does Haymitch tell Peeta he should allow a bruise to form and show on his face?
7. What instruction does Cinna give to Katniss and Peeta as their chariot begins to take its place in the opening ceremony procession? How does the audience react to this act?
8. What parts of the interview process does Effie teach Katniss? What parts of the interview process does Haymitch teach Katniss?
9. What illness does Haymitch suffer? How does Effie Trinket feel about Haymitch? What warning does Effie issue to Peeta and Katniss regarding Haymitch at the end of part 1, Chapter 3?
10. What does Katniss think of Cinna when she first meets him? What does Cinna tell her about himself at their initial meeting?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)