|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Katniss' design team doing to her as Part 1, Chapter 5 begins?
(a) Scrubbing the dirt from her skin.
(b) Removing all the hair on her body.
(c) Shaping her nails.
(d) Polishing her teeth.
2. What is katniss?
(a) A flower with tiny blue petals.
(b) A tree that grows small, red fruits.
(c) A bush that attracts wild cats.
(d) A plant with tubers that can be eaten like potatoes.
3. What does Gale suggest to Katniss they do in Part 1, Chapter 1 as they look ahead to that day's reaping?
(a) Kill Effie Trinket.
(b) Run away.
(c) Steal the collection of names from which the tributes will be chosen.
(d) Form a rebellion.
4. What is the object of the outfits the tributes wear in the opening ceremony?
(a) To show off their strengths.
(b) To show off their district pride.
(c) To represent their special interests and hobbies.
(d) To represent their industry in their district.
5. Why does Katniss refuse to cry in Part 1, Chapter 3 even as she leaves her family and home behind her?
(a) She does not want to appear weak to the other tributes.
(b) She does not want to give the Capitol the satisfaction of breaking her.
(c) She is not sad.
(d) She is afraid once she starts she cannot stop.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times is Katniss' name entered into the drawing at the reaping in the first chapter of the novel?
2. What is District Twelve?
3. What mode of transportation does Katniss ride after the opening ceremonies that she would like to ride again but feels it might be childish?
4. How did the birds respond to Katniss' father when he sang to them?
5. Why does Katniss believe she can get a weapon and some supplies from the Cornucopia despite Haymitch's advice to ignore the Cornucopia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Katniss and Gale's fathers? Why are they now the providers in their separate families?
2. Why does Haymitch punch Peeta in the face? Why does Haymitch tell Peeta he should allow a bruise to form and show on his face?
3. How does Peeta suggest Haymitch won his Hunger Games in Part 3, Chapter 23? What has Katniss discovered about her relationship with Haymitch?
4. What does Peeta reveal about himself when he and Katniss go to the camouflage table during training? What memory does this bring to the forefront of Katniss' mind?
5. What item is Katniss in search of during the second day in the games? Why has this become an urgent need for Katniss?
6. Who told Katniss not to go to the Cornucopia at the beginning of the games? Why does Katniss think this was bad advice? What distracts Katniss from taking all she had wanted from the Cornucopia?
7. What metaphor does Effie try to make to encourage Peeta and Katniss that they will do well in the Hunger Games? What is wrong with her metaphor?
8. Why does Katniss give Peeta a kiss after the opening ceremonies? What does Katniss think Peeta is up to with his multiple compliments?
9. What does Peeta tell Katniss that his father once told him about her mother?
10. How does Katniss force the Gamemakers to honor their change in the rules of the Hunger Games?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)