|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What target does Katniss hit with her arrow during the individual demonstration that causes a shower of sparks to fall on the floor?
(a) An open electrical outlet.
(b) A light fixture.
(c) An explosives demonstration station.
(d) A fire cracker.
2. Who is the only person allowed to be with Katniss as she waits to be transported into the Hunger Games arena?
(d) The Avox.
3. Why does Katniss refuse to cry in Part 1, Chapter 3 even as she leaves her family and home behind her?
(a) She does not want to give the Capitol the satisfaction of breaking her.
(b) She is afraid once she starts she cannot stop.
(c) She does not want to appear weak to the other tributes.
(d) She is not sad.
4. What happens if a tribute steps off of their platform too early?
(a) They are given a time penalty.
(b) They are imprisoned and sentenced to death.
(c) A land mine is detonated.
(d) They are taken out of the game.
5. What item did Peeta once take a beating from his mother to give to Katniss, leaving her indebted to him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose is the first name called in the reaping?
2. What nickname does Gale use with Katniss?
3. What is a Peacekeeper?
4. What role does Effie Trinket play in the reaping?
5. What beverage does Katniss try for the first time aboard the train taking her to the Capitol?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peeta reveal about himself when he and Katniss go to the camouflage table during training? What memory does this bring to the forefront of Katniss' mind?
2. Why does Katniss give Peeta a kiss after the opening ceremonies? What does Katniss think Peeta is up to with his multiple compliments?
3. What did a dandelion represent to Katniss when she was eleven and starving to death? How did Katniss feed her family until she was able to file for tesserae several months later?
4. Who is Katniss afraid will be called to go to the Hunger Games? Who actually is called? How does Katniss react?
5. What parts of the interview process does Effie teach Katniss? What parts of the interview process does Haymitch teach Katniss?
6. What happened to Katniss and Gale's fathers? Why are they now the providers in their separate families?
7. Why does Katniss fear leaving her sister with her mother? What does Katniss say to her mother to keep her from letting Prim down?
8. How has Haymitch dealt with Katniss and Peeta's training up until Part 1, Chapter 8? What suddenly changes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 8?
9. What metaphor does Effie try to make to encourage Peeta and Katniss that they will do well in the Hunger Games? What is wrong with her metaphor?
10. What activity are Katniss and Gale participating in at the beginning of the novel? For what reason are they doing this? What dangers are posed by their actions?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)