|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a Peacekeeper?
(a) Futuristic cops assigned to enforce the rules of each district.
(b) Politicians assigned to govern the districts.
(c) A soldier from the Capitol who is assigned to keep order in the Districts.
(d) A soldier from the local district who patrol the outer borders of each district.
2. On whose face do the cameras remain even during the President's speech at the end of the opening ceremony?
(a) The crowd.
(b) Cinna's and Haymitch's.
(c) Katniss' and Peeta's.
(d) The tributes from District One.
3. What helps calm Katniss in the early morning hours of the first full day at the training center?
(a) A good breakfast.
(b) Clothing that resemble what she wore back home.
(c) A long talk with Effie.
(d) Peeta's presence.
4. What do the rules of the Hunger Games say about the number of winners?
(a) One boy and one girl can win.
(b) There can only be one.
(c) If the final two are from the same district, they both win.
(d) Only a tribute from the district with the most sponsors can win.
5. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what is Katniss's reaction to her own actions during the individual demonstrations for the Gamemakers?
(a) She thinks she did really well.
(b) She thinks she might be turned into an Avox.
(c) She thinks she will score high.
(d) She thinks she blew her chances at sponsorship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which other tribute does Katniss take special notice of while watching the reapings from the other districts?
2. Who is in Katniss' room when she returns from talking to Peeta on the roof?
3. Who is Atala?
4. What is the object of the outfits the tributes wear in the opening ceremony?
5. What does reaping mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Katniss and Gale's fathers? Why are they now the providers in their separate families?
2. What surprise visitors does Katniss get in the hour before she is due to leave for the Hunger Games? What reason do these people give for visiting her?
3. Why does Katniss grow angry with the Gamemakers during the individual exhibition of skills? What does she do about it?
4. Who told Katniss not to go to the Cornucopia at the beginning of the games? Why does Katniss think this was bad advice? What distracts Katniss from taking all she had wanted from the Cornucopia?
5. What instruction does Cinna give to Katniss and Peeta as their chariot begins to take its place in the opening ceremony procession? How does the audience react to this act?
6. What did a dandelion represent to Katniss when she was eleven and starving to death? How did Katniss feed her family until she was able to file for tesserae several months later?
7. Why does Katniss become angry with Peeta after his announcement at the end of Part 2, Chapter 9? How does she react to Peeta alone?
8. What is unusual about the childhood of Katniss' mother? How does this connect Peeta and Katniss?
9. What are the Hunger Games? How did they come about?
10. What activity are Katniss and Gale participating in at the beginning of the novel? For what reason are they doing this? What dangers are posed by their actions?
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)