|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the arenas that were built specifically for the Hunger Games after the games are over?
(a) They are turned into memorial sites for the dead tributes.
(b) They are destroyed and rebuilt for the following year's games.
(c) They are turned into tourist attractions.
(d) They are left to ruin.
2. What helps calm Katniss in the early morning hours of the first full day at the training center?
(a) Clothing that resemble what she wore back home.
(b) A good breakfast.
(c) A long talk with Effie.
(d) Peeta's presence.
3. What is the Hob?
(a) The woods near District Twelve.
(b) The section of District Twelve where Katniss lives.
(c) The section of District Twelve where the blue collar workers live.
(d) An illegal black market in District Twelve.
4. Whose is the first name called in the reaping?
(a) Haymitch Abernathy.
(b) Primrose Everdeen.
(c) Peeta Mellark.
(d) Katniss Everdeen.
5. What gift does the baker bring Katniss when he comes to say goodbye?
(b) A locket.
(d) A cake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What catches Katniss' attention about the dessert served the first night in the training center?
2. What does Cinna do to Katniss and Peeta's outfits as their chariot joins the procession?
3. What beverage does Katniss try for the first time aboard the train taking her to the Capitol?
4. What reaction does Katniss get when she shoots an arrow through the apple in the mouth of a roast pig?
5. What is one of the distinct elements of fashion in the Capitol that Katniss notes among her design team?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katniss become angry with Peeta after his announcement at the end of Part 2, Chapter 9? How does she react to Peeta alone?
2. What is unusual about the childhood of Katniss' mother? How does this connect Peeta and Katniss?
3. What point of view does the author use to write this novel? From whose point of view is the novel told?
4. What is a mockingjay? What is Katniss' personal connection to the mockingjays?
5. What happened to Katniss and Gale's fathers? Why are they now the providers in their separate families?
6. How does Haymitch instruct Peeta and Katniss to behave in public? What does Peeta think of this strategy?
7. Where do Peeta and Katniss meet the first night in the training center? What do they talk about?
8. During dinner, Katniss sees one of the servants who has been assigned to their floor and believes she knows her. However, the girl cannot speak. What is an Avox? How does Katniss know this Avox?
9. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
10. Why does Katniss give Peeta a kiss after the opening ceremonies? What does Katniss think Peeta is up to with his multiple compliments?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)