|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname does Gale use with Katniss?
2. What happens if a tribute steps off of their platform too early?
(a) They are imprisoned and sentenced to death.
(b) They are given a time penalty.
(c) A land mine is detonated.
(d) They are taken out of the game.
3. How often do high scoring tributes win the Hunger Games?
(a) Every time.
(c) Most of the time.
4. What was the name of the place where Panem rose out of the ashes into existence?
(b) North America.
(c) South America.
5. What weapon does Katniss have hidden in the woods which she uses to hunt with?
(a) Bow and arrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Career tributes?
2. How long are the tributes forced to stand on their platforms before rushing to gather supplies at the Cornucopia at the start of the games?
3. What is on the pin Madge gives Katniss to wear in the arena?
4. What is katniss?
5. Who is on board the train with the tributes from District Twelve whose job it is to care for them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did a dandelion represent to Katniss when she was eleven and starving to death? How did Katniss feed her family until she was able to file for tesserae several months later?
2. What activity are Katniss and Gale participating in at the beginning of the novel? For what reason are they doing this? What dangers are posed by their actions?
3. What happened to Katniss and Gale's fathers? Why are they now the providers in their separate families?
4. What does Katniss decide to do about Rue? What plan does she come up with to take the advantage from the Careers?
5. Why does Katniss give Peeta a kiss after the opening ceremonies? What does Katniss think Peeta is up to with his multiple compliments?
6. What does Peeta do to annoy Katniss as they begin a hunting trip into the woods? What does Katniss do about it?
7. What instruction does Cinna give to Katniss and Peeta as their chariot begins to take its place in the opening ceremony procession? How does the audience react to this act?
8. Why does Haymitch punch Peeta in the face? Why does Haymitch tell Peeta he should allow a bruise to form and show on his face?
9. Who told Katniss not to go to the Cornucopia at the beginning of the games? Why does Katniss think this was bad advice? What distracts Katniss from taking all she had wanted from the Cornucopia?
10. What symbol does Cinna chose to use to reflect the main industry in District Twelve, coal? What does Cinna call Katniss as he describes the outfit he has chosen for her to wear during the opening ceremony?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)