|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Katniss wake early the first morning in the training center?
(a) She has had nightmares.
(b) She is homesick.
(c) She is excited to begin training.
(d) She is anxious to begin the games.
2. What does Haymitch complain about in Part 1, Chapter 9 as he attempts to prepare Katniss for the interview?
(a) She is hostile and will not reveal anything about herself.
(b) She is hostile and overly talkative.
(c) She is untruthful.
(d) She is too shy.
3. How many times is Katniss' name entered into the drawing at the reaping in the first chapter of the novel?
4. What item did Peeta once take a beating from his mother to give to Katniss, leaving her indebted to him?
5. What happens if a tribute steps off of their platform too early?
(a) A land mine is detonated.
(b) They are taken out of the game.
(c) They are given a time penalty.
(d) They are imprisoned and sentenced to death.
6. What animal is said to live in the woods outside District Twelve that makes the fence necessary and keeps many from going into the woods?
(b) Tracker jackers.
(d) Wild dogs.
7. What causes the death of another tribute within site of Katniss' hidden sleeping position in a tree the first night of the Hunger Games?
(a) She panics and announces her presence to the Careers.
(b) She commits suicide out of homesickness.
(c) She runs into a bear.
(d) She lights a fire in the open.
8. What does Katniss throw out the window of the train?
(a) The pin Madge gave her.
(b) A tape of the reaping.
(c) A dress her mother gave her.
(d) The cookies the baker gave her.
9. What weapon does Katniss have hidden in the woods which she uses to hunt with?
(b) Bow and arrow.
10. Why is Katniss drawn in by Rue, the girl from District Eleven?
(a) She is pretty.
(b) She is powerful.
(c) She reminds Katniss of Prim.
(d) She reminds Katniss of her mother.
11. What is placed into Katniss' forearm before she leaves the training center?
(a) A bracelet that identifies her district.
(b) A homing beacon for the other tributes to find her easily.
(c) A bracelet that identifies her.
(d) A tracking device for the Gamemakers to keep track of her.
12. What is Panem?
(a) The country where Katniss lives.
(b) The hotel where Katniss lives.
(c) The ocean near where Katniss lives.
(d) The town where Katniss lives.
13. What is the main goal of getting a high score from the Gamemakers in the individual demonstrations?
(a) To get gifts from the Gamemakers.
(b) To intimidate the other tributes.
(c) Release from the games.
14. Whose is the first name called in the reaping?
(a) Peeta Mellark.
(b) Katniss Everdeen.
(c) Primrose Everdeen.
(d) Haymitch Abernathy.
15. Why does Katniss refuse to cry in Part 1, Chapter 3 even as she leaves her family and home behind her?
(a) She is afraid once she starts she cannot stop.
(b) She is not sad.
(c) She does not want to give the Capitol the satisfaction of breaking her.
(d) She does not want to appear weak to the other tributes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the fall of the previous civilization before Panem came into existence?
2. What does Gale suggest to Katniss they do in Part 1, Chapter 1 as they look ahead to that day's reaping?
3. What does Katniss note about Haymitch's appearance and behavior at dinner the first night in the training center?
4. What one talent does Peeta have that Katniss feels he might be able to use in the arena?
5. What gadgets in her bedroom in Part 1, Chapter 6 impress Katniss on her first night there?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)