The Hunger Games, Part 1, Chapters One and Two
• Katniss Everdeen awakes in the home she shares with her younger sister Prim and her emotionally distant mother.
• Katniss and her friend Gale try to pretend that it is not the day of the reaping, a day in which either of them could be sent to the Capitol to participate in a fight to the death with tributes from all the districts.
• They harvest strawberries and take them to the mayor's house and encounter Madge, who is dressed for the reaping.
• Katniss's sister, Prim, is chosen first in the reaping.
• Katniss volunteers to take Prim's place in the Games.
• Peeta Mellark, the baker's son, is chosen as the male tribute from District Twelve.
• Katniss remembers Peeta as a boy who once gave her bread when she and her family were starving.
The Hunger Games, Part 1, Chapter 3 and Chapter 4
• Katniss says...
This section contains 2,083 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)