The Hunger Games, Part 1, Chapters One and Two
* Katniss Everdeen awakes in the home she shares with her younger sister Prim and her emotionally distant mother.
* Katniss and her friend Gale try to pretend that it is not the day of the reaping, a day in which either of them could be sent to the Capitol to participate in a fight to the death with tributes from all the districts.
* They harvest strawberries and take them to the mayor's house and encounter Madge, who is dressed for the reaping.
* Katniss's sister, Prim, is chosen first in the reaping.
* Katniss volunteers to take Prim's place in the Games.
* Peeta Mellark, the baker's son, is chosen as the male tribute from District Twelve.
* Katniss remembers Peeta as a boy who once gave her bread when she and her family were starving.
The Hunger Games, Part 1, Chapter 3 and Chapter 4
* Katniss says...
This section contains 1,884 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)