|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Esperanza comparing in her family?
2. How many people are in Esperanza’s immediate family?
3. Why will Cathy only be Esperanza’s friend until next Tuesday?
4. Where does Marin’s boyfriend live?
5. How does it make Esperanza feel when the nun asked, “You live there?”
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Esperanza believe Mrs. Vargas is so overwhelmed?
2. What does she mean by: “That is how it goes and goes”?
3. Why is Cathy’s family moving out of the neighborhood?
4. Why does Esperanza’s mama get sick?
5. What happens to Angel Vargas?
6. Why do the girls begin arguing?
7. Why does Esperanza write: “here there is too much sadness and not enough sky” (p.33)?
8. Why is Esperanza embarrassed by Nenny wanting to buy the music box?
9. What does Esperanza get in this chapter that she’s been wanting?
10. What does Esperanza feel like her name means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esperanza is very much a product of her environment, as many characters are in this book. How have environmental factors affected the characters? How does Esperanza want to change this?
Essay Topic 2
Esperanza is named after her great-grandmother. What happens to Esperanza’s great-grandmother? Why doesn’t Esperanza want to be named after her?
Essay Topic 3
What is the effect of the short first-person vignettes, rather than longer chapters? Why do you think Cisneros chose this form over something more traditional? What other forms could it be compared to?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)