|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must Alicia be the one to wake early to make the lunchbox tortillas?
2. Who has too many kids?
3. Darius believes that one cloud looks like __________?
4. Who built the house that Meme lives in?
5. Who is too young to be her friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Esperanza write: “here there is too much sadness and not enough sky” (p.33)?
2. Why do the girls begin arguing?
3. Why does Esperanza believe that the boys and girls in her neighborhood live in separate worlds?
4. What does Esperanza feel like her name means?
5. Why are they “tired of being beautiful”?
6. How does Esperanza describe her mother’s hair? What is her mother’s hair a metaphor for?
7. How does Esperanza try and convince her mother to allow her to eat in the canteen?
8. What is Marin, Esperanza’s neighbor, waiting for?
9. What happens to Angel Vargas?
10. How does Louie’s cousin get the Cadillac?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esperanza is very much a product of her environment, as many characters are in this book. How have environmental factors affected the characters? How does Esperanza want to change this?
Essay Topic 2
Dramatic irony is when the reader understands that there is an ironic situation, but not the character. This occurs a lot when the narrator is young but the content observed by the narrator is mature. What are some examples of dramatic irony in The House on Mango Street?
Essay Topic 3
What motifs reoccur in multiple vignettes? What do they represent? How are they used?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)