|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the police handcuff Louie’s cousin?
2. Where does Esperanza want to eat lunch?
3. What happened to the winner?
4. What does she plan on doing as soon as she gets back to P.R.?
5. How does Esperanza feel about the house on Mango Street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn’t Esperanza want to dance?
2. Who is Esperanza?
3. Why does Esperanza thinks that she is speaking with authority?
4. Why does Esperanza believe that the boys and girls in her neighborhood live in separate worlds?
5. Who encourages her to get a job?
6. Why is Esperanza embarrassed by Nenny wanting to buy the music box?
7. What does Esperanza get in this chapter that she’s been wanting?
8. What does she mean by: “That is how it goes and goes”?
9. What do the girls believe hips are good for?
10. What happens to Angel Vargas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esperanza is dissatisfied with her life, or at least her living situation. Why is she dissatisfied? What does she want? And, will she or won’t she most likely succeed?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the vignettes are a discussion of family. How important is family to Esperanza? How does she feel about her family?
Essay Topic 3
What motifs reoccur in multiple vignettes? What do they represent? How are they used?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)