|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darius point out?
2. Esperanza reads that Eskimos have thirty different names for what?
3. What has made Esperanza’s mother sick, or so she thinks?
4. Why do the police handcuff Louie’s cousin?
5. What has Esperanza’s mother forgotten to buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Esperanza need to get a job?
2. Why doesn’t Alicia want to take over her mother’s role?
3. Why is Esperanza embarrassed by Nenny wanting to buy the music box?
4. Why does Esperanza believe Mrs. Vargas is so overwhelmed?
5. What is Marin, Esperanza’s neighbor, waiting for?
6. Why doesn’t Esperanza want to dance?
7. What does she mean by: “That is how it goes and goes”?
8. Why does Esperanza thinks that she is speaking with authority?
9. Why do Nenny and Esperanza think that the house they see looks like Mexico?
10. What does Esperanza’s mean in the English translation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the following quote: "When you leave you must remember to come back for the others. A circle, understand? You will always be Esperanza. You will always be Mango Street. You can't erase what you know. You can't forget who you are...Then I didn't know what to say. It was as if she could read my mind, as if she knew what I had wished for, and I felt ashamed for having made such a selfish wish" (Chapter 41, pg. 105). Why does Esperanza feel ashamed, and what for?
Essay Topic 2
a. What are the stereotypes of women in Esperanza’s culture?
b. What strong female characters does Esperanza look up to?
Essay Topic 3
Esperanza is named after her great-grandmother. What happens to Esperanza’s great-grandmother? Why doesn’t Esperanza want to be named after her?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)