|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. “My papa’s hair is like a broom” is an example of what?
(b) A simile.
(d) A metaphor.
2. What is the main topic of the first vignette?
3. What does Darius point out?
(a) How dry and barren everything is.
(b) Clouds that look like pillows.
(c) Four skinny sickly trees.
(d) The flatness of the earth.
4. How do Nenny and Esperanza resemble each other?
(a) They have the same thick hair.
(b) They are the same height.
(c) They have the same laughter.
(d) They have the same fat Popsicle lips.
5. What does Marin do for work to earn money?
(a) She tutors children after school.
(b) She cleans houses.
(c) She sells Avon and babysits.
(d) She works as a clerk at the grocery store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does she describe as best friends?
2. What is The House on Mango Street a collection of?
3. Who crumples like a coat and cries?
4. What does Nenny want to buy, but Gil tells her it is not for sale?
5. When was The House on Mango Street published?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Esperanza try and convince her mother to allow her to eat in the canteen?
2. Why doesn’t Esperanza want to dance?
3. Who is Esperanza?
4. Why does Esperanza describe this day as a “good” day?
5. Why is everyone surprised by Darius’s observations of the clouds?
6. What is Alicia afraid of?
7. How does Esperanza describe her mother’s hair? What is her mother’s hair a metaphor for?
8. Why does Esperanza thinks that she is speaking with authority?
9. What does she mean by: “That is how it goes and goes”?
10. Why is Esperanza not afraid of the people in her neighborhood?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)