|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rachel believe is “good for holding babies while you are cooking”?
(a) Baby slings.
(b) Baby backpacks.
2. How does Esperanza feel about the house on Mango Street?
(a) Angry, they were evicted from their last house.
(b) Satisfied. They are so happy to be in a home of their own.
(c) Ashamed of the level of poverty that they live in.
(d) Dissatisfied. It is better than the rest, but only temporary.
3. Who kisses Esperanza?
(b) Her boss.
(d) A little old “Oriental” man who claims it is his birthday.
4. Esperanza is overcome with grief at the end of this vignette, why is this?
(a) She hates funerals and does not want to go.
(b) She thinks of dying herself.
(c) She thinks of her own father dying.
(d) She misses her abuelito.
5. Who gets Esperanza a job?
(b) Uncle Nacho.
(c) Her Aunt Lala.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has made Esperanza’s mother sick, or so she thinks?
2. What is the main topic of the first vignette?
3. What is the “big one’s” name?
4. Louie is the oldest of ___________?
5. What do the girls find in this vignette?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Esperanza thinks that she is speaking with authority?
2. Why does Esperanza write: “here there is too much sadness and not enough sky” (p.33)?
3. Why does Esperanza’s mama get sick?
4. How does Esperanza describe her mother’s hair? What is her mother’s hair a metaphor for?
5. Why doesn’t Esperanza like her name?
6. What is Alicia afraid of?
7. What does Esperanza feel like her name means?
8. Why is everyone surprised by Darius’s observations of the clouds?
9. How does Louie’s cousin get the Cadillac?
10. Why doesn’t Alicia want to take over her mother’s role?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)