|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The beginning of this vignette begins as what?
(a) A made up story by Esperanza about the family with little feet.
(b) A poem.
(c) A dream of Esperanza’s.
(d) An article from the newspaper.
2. Who has died at the beginning of this vignette?
(a) Esperanza’s abuelito.
(b) Esperanza’s younger sister.
(c) Esperanza’s Papa.
(d) Esperanza’s Aunt Lupe.
3. How does Esperanza feel about the house on Mango Street?
(a) Satisfied. They are so happy to be in a home of their own.
(b) Dissatisfied. It is better than the rest, but only temporary.
(c) Ashamed of the level of poverty that they live in.
(d) Angry, they were evicted from their last house.
4. What is Nenny’s full name?
5. In the family of little feet, who sleeps on the couch?
(a) The grandfather.
(b) The father.
(c) The grandmother.
(d) The mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Louie’s parents sending Marin back to P.R. next year?
2. From where have the two girls just moved?
3. What is Meme’s real name?
4. Esperanza is overcome with grief at the end of this vignette, why is this?
5. What does Nenny want to buy, but Gil tells her it is not for sale?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who encourages her to get a job?
2. How does Esperanza feel when the nun is inquiring where she lives?
3. What does she mean by: “That is how it goes and goes”?
4. Why doesn’t Alicia want to take over her mother’s role?
5. What does Esperanza feel like her name means?
6. Who is Esperanza?
7. How does Esperanza describe her mother’s hair? What is her mother’s hair a metaphor for?
8. What is Marin, Esperanza’s neighbor, waiting for?
9. Why does Esperanza think others think the people in her neighborhood are dangerous?
10. Why is Esperanza embarrassed by Nenny wanting to buy the music box?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)