|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will Esperanza come back to Mango Street?
(a) She will come back for the ones she left behind.
(b) She will never come back.
(c) She will come back to help her family.
(d) She will come back because she misses her friends.
2. What/who goes with Earl everywhere?
(a) Two little black dogs.
(b) His wife.
(c) His red-tailed macaw.
(d) His son.
3. What, or whom, will she allow to live in her attic?
(a) Old ladies.
4. What bird does Esperanza compare Sally’s hair to?
(a) A raven.
(b) A peacock.
(c) A dove.
(d) An eagle.
5. How has Esperanza “begun her own quiet war”?
(a) By defying her parents’ desires.
(b) By befriending only girls.
(c) By refusing to do what her teachers tell her to do.
(d) By challenging gender expectations and roles.
6. Where does Sally get married?
(a) In a state that allows girls to get married before the eighth grade.
(b) In a park.
(c) In the local church.
(d) In Las Vegas.
7. Where does Geraldo work?
(a) At the fair.
(b) At the hospital.
(c) At the movie theatre.
(d) In a restaurant.
8. What does Sally’s husband do for a living?
(a) He sells marshmallows.
(b) He is a lawyer.
(c) He is a janitor.
(d) He sells books.
9. What is wrong with Mamacita?
(a) She is homesick.
(b) She has no food to eat.
(c) Her little baby is sick.
(d) She is ill with a rare disease.
10. What happens to Esperanza while she is waiting for Sally?
(a) She’s kidnapped and beaten.
(b) She is raped.
(c) She falls asleep and wakes up disoriented.
(d) She gets lost.
11. Why does Esperanza go to the fortune-teller?
(a) To see if her mama gets better.
(b) She wants to know how many children she will have.
(c) To see how long she will live.
(d) She wants to know about her future house.
12. What did Esperanza’s mother used to do?
(d) Sing opera.
13. What does Elenita tell Esperanza?
(a) That she will have a home in her heart.
(b) That she will have 6 children.
(c) That her mama is really ill.
(d) That she will not graduate from school.
14. What kind of place does Esperanza want to live in?
(a) An apartment in a nice downtown neighborhood.
(b) A house full of children and a husband.
(c) A mansion that has 8 bathrooms.
(d) A house that is all her own, a house that is quiet as snow.
15. What does Sally’s father believe beauty brings?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Esperanza’s mother’s advice for her?
2. Where does she meet him?
3. What does Esperanza promise to never forget?
4. Who helps her disguise her wounds?
5. Why does Esperanza like to be with Sally?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)