|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does she meet him?
(a) At a dance.
(b) At the movies.
(c) At a bar.
(d) At the hospital.
2. What does Minerva do after her children have gone to sleep?
(a) Write poems.
(b) Drink wine.
(d) Fight with her husband.
3. When does Earl work?
(a) He does not work.
(b) During the day.
(c) In the morning.
(d) At night.
4. What do they make a clubhouse out of?
(a) Vine overgrowth.
(b) A shed.
(c) An old blue pickup.
(d) An apple tree.
5. Why doesn’t Sally leave her apartment?
(a) She’s afraid to do so without her husband’s permission.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She has no money to buy goods.
(d) She’s depressed and homesick.
6. What does Elenita tell Esperanza?
(a) That she will not graduate from school.
(b) That she will have a home in her heart.
(c) That she will have 6 children.
(d) That her mama is really ill.
7. What does Rafaela’s husband do on Tuesday nights?
(a) Play basketball.
(b) Play dominoes.
(c) Visit the local saloon.
(d) Play poker.
8. What, or whom, will she allow to live in her attic?
(c) Old ladies.
9. Before Aunt Lupe’s illness, she used to enjoy what activity?
(c) Jumping rope.
10. Who comes to get Sally when she’s staying with Esperanza’s family?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her brother.
11. What did Esperanza’s mother used to do?
(a) Sing opera.
12. How has Esperanza “begun her own quiet war”?
(a) By refusing to do what her teachers tell her to do.
(b) By challenging gender expectations and roles.
(c) By befriending only girls.
(d) By defying her parents’ desires.
13. Why is Minerva black and blue?
(a) She is sick with cancer.
(b) She is very clumsy.
(c) Her children beat her.
(d) Her husband beats her.
14. What does Earl do for a living?
(a) He is a lawyer.
(b) He does not work.
(c) He is a mechanic.
(d) He is a jukebox repairman.
15. Who listens to Esperanza’s stories?
(a) Aunt Lala.
(c) Aunt Lupe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sally get married?
2. What does Sally’s father believe beauty brings?
3. What are Alicia and Esperanza talking about in this vignette?
4. What is wrong with Mamacita?
5. Who helps her disguise her wounds?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)