|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of place does Esperanza want to live in?
(a) A mansion that has 8 bathrooms.
(b) A house that is all her own, a house that is quiet as snow.
(c) A house full of children and a husband.
(d) An apartment in a nice downtown neighborhood.
2. Who listens to Esperanza’s stories?
(a) Aunt Lupe.
(c) Aunt Lala.
3. What does Minerva already have?
(a) A house.
(b) Two kids and a husband, who left.
(c) A college degree.
4. Who does Esperanza notice watching her when she crosses the street?
(c) Sire and his friends.
5. What is Esperanza’s mother’s advice for her?
(a) Her advice is for Esperanza to save her money, rather than spending it on school tuition.
(b) Her advice is for Esperanza to have her babies while she is young.
(c) Her advice for Esperanza is to go to school and study hard.
(d) Her advice is for Esperanza to marry young while she still has her looks.
6. Where does she meet him?
(a) At the movies.
(b) At the hospital.
(c) At a dance.
(d) At a bar.
7. What bird does Esperanza compare Sally’s hair to?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A dove.
(c) A raven.
(d) A peacock.
8. Why does Esperanza go to the fortune-teller?
(a) She wants to know how many children she will have.
(b) To see if her mama gets better.
(c) To see how long she will live.
(d) She wants to know about her future house.
9. What does Minerva do after her children have gone to sleep?
(a) Fight with her husband.
(c) Drink wine.
(d) Write poems.
10. What are Alicia and Esperanza talking about in this vignette?
(a) Esperanza wants a home that she’s proud of, a home that is far away from Mango Street.
(b) They are talking about boys they like at school.
(c) They are planning a plot to run away from home.
(d) They are talking about how many children they should have.
11. What/who goes with Earl everywhere?
(a) Two little black dogs.
(b) His wife.
(c) His son.
(d) His red-tailed macaw.
12. What does Ruthie walk around the neighborhood?
(a) Her cat, Bono.
(b) Her dog, Bobo.
(c) Her ferret, Bilbo.
(d) Her parrot, Billy.
13. When does Earl work?
(a) At night.
(b) During the day.
(c) He does not work.
(d) In the morning.
14. Who arrives in a yellow taxicab?
(a) Edna and Ruthie.
(b) Sally and her father.
(c) Mamacita and her baby boy.
(d) Earl and his mother.
15. Who comes to get Sally when she’s staying with Esperanza’s family?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Geraldo?
2. What does Esperanza want?
3. What happens to Esperanza while she is waiting for Sally?
4. Where does Earl live?
5. Who tells Esperanza, “I could have been somebody”?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)