|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Esperanza pay Elenita?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) She does not pay Elenita anything.
(c) 8 dollars.
(d) 7 dollars.
2. What/who goes with Earl everywhere?
(a) His red-tailed macaw.
(b) His wife.
(c) His son.
(d) Two little black dogs.
3. What did Esperanza’s mother used to do?
(b) Sing opera.
4. What does Ruthie walk around the neighborhood?
(a) Her ferret, Bilbo.
(b) Her parrot, Billy.
(c) Her cat, Bono.
(d) Her dog, Bobo.
5. Who arrives in a yellow taxicab?
(a) Edna and Ruthie.
(b) Mamacita and her baby boy.
(c) Earl and his mother.
(d) Sally and her father.
6. Why does Esperanza find these trees so miraculous?
(a) They have massive branches.
(b) They are very tall.
(c) They are growing well in a patch of a neighborhood with little to sustain them.
(d) They have exquisite flowers.
7. Why does Esperanza go to the fortune-teller?
(a) She wants to know how many children she will have.
(b) To see if her mama gets better.
(c) She wants to know about her future house.
(d) To see how long she will live.
8. Who listens to Esperanza’s stories?
(b) Aunt Lupe.
(c) Aunt Lala.
9. Who comes to visit Rachel and Lucy’s family?
(a) Their grandparents.
(b) Their older brother.
(c) Three aunts.
10. How does Geraldo die?
(a) In a hit-and-run accident.
(b) He was stabbed.
(c) He has influenza.
(d) Alcohol poisoning.
11. Who is Elenita?
(a) Another neighbor.
(b) A fortune-teller.
(c) Rachel’s mother.
(d) A grocery store clerk.
12. What does Esperanza imagine Sally enjoys doing?
(a) Looking at the seemingly “perfect” items in her home.
(c) Tending to her babies.
(d) Reading and relaxing all day.
13. Who helps her disguise her wounds?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her husband.
14. Where does she meet him?
(a) At the movies.
(b) At a dance.
(c) At a bar.
(d) At the hospital.
15. What point of view is The House on Mango Street written?
(b) Third – limited.
(d) Third – omniscient.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rafaela ask the girls to buy her?
2. What is Esperanza’s mother’s advice for her?
3. What does Esperanza want?
4. Who visits Earl on a regular basis?
5. What are Alicia and Esperanza talking about in this vignette?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)