|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Esperanza compare Rafaela to?
(d) Sleeping Beauty.
2. What does Esperazna like to do?
(a) Think about boys.
(c) Tell stories.
3. How has Esperanza “begun her own quiet war”?
(a) By challenging gender expectations and roles.
(b) By defying her parents’ desires.
(c) By refusing to do what her teachers tell her to do.
(d) By befriending only girls.
4. Why does Esperanza like to be with Sally?
(a) Because Sally is funny.
(b) Because they are friends and she finds Sally’s laugh infectious.
(c) Because Sally is older and knows more about boys.
(d) Because Sally is beautiful and Esperanza wants to be like her.
5. What is the age difference between Minerva and Esperanza?
(a) Minerva is significantly older than Esperanza.
(b) Minerva is a little bit younger than Esperanza.
(c) Minerva is significantly younger than Esperanza.
(d) Minerva is a little bit older than Esperanza.
6. What does Sally’s father believe beauty brings?
7. Why does Esperanza believe Mamacita won’t come down from her apartment?
(a) Her baby is too sick to leave.
(b) Esperanza believes she is afraid to speak English.
(c) She is too sick to leave.
(d) She doesn’t like Mango Street.
8. What does Sally do?
(a) She gets married.
(b) She quits school.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She gets a job.
9. Who doesn’t appreciate the trees?
10. Why doesn’t Esperanza want to drive to the nice neighborhoods on Sundays anymore?
(a) She doesn’t like the way that the houses look.
(b) She’s embarrassed by how much her family wants something that they cannot have.
(c) She doesn’t like that her father works for the homeowners.
(d) She’s given up hope of every having her own home.
11. What does Esperanza promise to never forget?
(a) Sally's sadness.
(b) Who she is or where she came from.
(c) Angel Vargas.
(d) Her grandfather.
12. What does Minerva do after her children have gone to sleep?
(b) Write poems.
(c) Fight with her husband.
(d) Drink wine.
13. What does Minerva already have?
(b) A college degree.
(c) A house.
(d) Two kids and a husband, who left.
14. Why doesn’t Rafaela leave her apartment?
(a) Her baby is sick.
(b) She doesn’t like talking to her neighbors.
(c) She is too ill.
(d) Her husband locks her inside.
15. Where does Earl live?
(a) With Louie’s family.
(b) With Edna and Ruthie.
(c) In Edna’s basement apartment.
(d) With Rosa Vargas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives in a yellow taxicab?
2. What did Esperanza’s mother used to do?
3. Where does Esperanza want her house?
4. Which adult likes to play with children?
5. What happens to Esperanza while she is waiting for Sally?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)