|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Cathy believe she is a descendent of?
(a) The Queen of England.
(b) The Queen of France.
(c) The US president.
(d) A Russian princess.
2. Esperanza believes that boys and girls live in separate what?
(a) She does not believe that there are that many differences between boys and girls.
3. What happens to Angel Vargas?
(a) He is hit and killed by a car.
(b) He breaks his arms from jumping out of a tree.
(c) He is playing on the roof and pretends to fly, only to fall to his death.
(d) He gets head lice and is sent home from school.
4. How does Esperanza feel about the house on Mango Street?
(a) Angry, they were evicted from their last house.
(b) Ashamed of the level of poverty that they live in.
(c) Dissatisfied. It is better than the rest, but only temporary.
(d) Satisfied. They are so happy to be in a home of their own.
5. Who crumples like a coat and cries?
(a) Esperanza’s papa.
(b) Esperanza’s grandfather.
(d) Esperanza’s mama.
6. Who moves into Cathy’s house?
(c) Lucy and Rachel.
(d) Meme Ortiz.
7. What does Marin do when her aunt goes to sleep?
(a) She stands under the streetlights smoking and listening to the radio.
(b) She cooks and makes lunches for all of the kids the following day.
(c) Drinks tequila.
(d) She sews baby clothing.
8. What is Nenny’s full name?
9. What does Kiki have hair like?
10. What is The House on Mango Street a collection of?
(d) Short stories.
11. How many steps are in the front of Meme’s house?
12. Who is standing at the front door holding boxes and bags of new clothes?
(a) Uncle Nacho.
(b) Esperanza’s papa.
(c) Aunt Lupe.
(d) Esperanza’s Mama.
13. How many days does it take Esperanza to convince her mother to allow her to eat in the canteen?
14. Who has died at the beginning of this vignette?
(a) Esperanza’s Papa.
(b) Esperanza’s Aunt Lupe.
(c) Esperanza’s younger sister.
(d) Esperanza’s abuelito.
15. Who is too young to be her friend?
(a) Lucy, the neighbor girl.
(b) Titus, the neighbor boy.
(c) Kiki, her brother.
(d) Nenny, her younger sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esperanza’s name mean in English?
2. Finish the quote: “Here there is too much sadness and not enough __________.”
3. Why does Esperanza need to get a job?
4. What does Alicia inherit from her mother?
5. What does Darius point out?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)