|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many steps are in the front of Meme’s house?
2. What does Nenny want to buy, but Gil tells her it is not for sale?
(a) A baby doll.
(b) A music box.
(c) A typewriter.
(d) A shawl.
3. Where does Louie’s cousin take them on their ride in the Cadillac?
(a) To town.
(b) To the beach.
(c) Around the block.
(d) To the countryside.
4. How many people are in Esperanza’s immediate family?
5. Esperanza is overcome with grief at the end of this vignette, why is this?
(a) She hates funerals and does not want to go.
(b) She misses her abuelito.
(c) She thinks of dying herself.
(d) She thinks of her own father dying.
6. Why does Esperanza think that Rachel and Lucy look alike?
(a) They are the same height.
(b) They have the same laughter.
(c) They have the same fat Popsicle lips.
(d) They have the same thick hair.
7. What does she plan on doing as soon as she gets back to P.R.?
(a) Marry her boyfriend.
(b) Attend university.
(c) Have more children.
(d) Teach elementary school.
8. Who is standing at the front door holding boxes and bags of new clothes?
(a) Uncle Nacho.
(b) Aunt Lupe.
(c) Esperanza’s Mama.
(d) Esperanza’s papa.
9. What do the girls find in this vignette?
(a) Wedding dresses.
(b) Rosary beads.
(c) High heels.
10. Whose father was it?
(a) Esperanza’s mother’s father.
(c) Esperanza’s father’s father.
(d) Aunt Lupe’s father.
11. What is the “little one’s” name?
12. Why do the canteen kids get to eat lunch at school?
(a) They are older kids.
(b) They live too far to walk home.
(c) Their mothers are not home.
(d) They can afford to buy the school lunch.
13. Why does Esperanza need to get a job?
(a) To pay for tuition at her Catholic high school.
(b) To help pay for food for her family.
(c) To buy herself clothing.
(d) To support her baby.
14. What does Marin do when her aunt goes to sleep?
(a) Drinks tequila.
(b) She sews baby clothing.
(c) She stands under the streetlights smoking and listening to the radio.
(d) She cooks and makes lunches for all of the kids the following day.
15. Why is Esperanza sent to school with a rice sandwich?
(a) Her brother is playing a trick on her.
(b) This is what her family likes to eat.
(c) The family doesn’t have any meat.
(d) Her mother thinks that rice is the most nutritious thing to eat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does she describe as best friends?
2. What is Nenny’s full name?
3. Who gets Esperanza a job?
4. Who does Esperanza reluctantly dance with?
5. How does she feel when she drives into another neighborhood of “another color”?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)