|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days does it take Esperanza to convince her mother to allow her to eat in the canteen?
2. The beginning of this vignette begins as what?
(a) A made up story by Esperanza about the family with little feet.
(b) An article from the newspaper.
(c) A poem.
(d) A dream of Esperanza’s.
3. From where have the two girls just moved?
4. Where does Esperanza’s family go?
(a) To a funeral.
(b) To a wedding.
(c) To a Quinceañera.
(d) To a party after her cousin’s baptism.
5. How does it make Esperanza feel when the nun asked, “You live there?”
(b) Like she was “lucky.”
(d) Like “nothing.”
6. Who encourages her in going to the Catholic high school?
(a) Her father.
(b) Aunt Lupe.
(c) Uncle Nacho.
7. Why does Esperanza believe Rosa Vargas is so upset?
(a) Her husband left her with a whole bunch of kids and no money.
(b) She doesn’t like her children because they are rude.
(c) She's tired.
(d) She’s overweight.
8. What does Marin do for work to earn money?
(a) She cleans houses.
(b) She sells Avon and babysits.
(c) She works as a clerk at the grocery store.
(d) She tutors children after school.
9. How does she feel when she drives into another neighborhood of “another color”?
10. Someday she says she’ll tell all of her secrets to whom?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister, Nenny.
(c) Her best friend.
(d) Her Aunt Lupe.
11. What does Nenny begin naming during the girls’ discussion?
(a) Different types of beans.
(b) Different words for poor.
(c) Different types of clouds.
(d) Different words for “brat”.
12. What is the main topic of the first vignette?
13. With whom is Louie friends with?
(b) Meme Ortiz.
(c) Esperanza’s brother.
(d) Rachel’s brother.
14. Who does Esperanza reluctantly dance with?
(a) Her Uncle Nacho.
(b) Her brother, Carlos.
(d) Her papa.
15. What did Carlos sell to Gil?
(a) An old chair.
(b) His old box of toys.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) A box of magazines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who built the house that Meme lives in?
2. Why are Louie’s parents sending Marin back to P.R. next year?
3. Who wouldn’t marry, at first?
4. How do Nenny and Esperanza resemble each other?
5. Why is Esperanza sent to school with a rice sandwich?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)