|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Anita when her father and brother died?
2. What position does Walter hold in the advertising agency where he works?
3. What kind of animal does Buddy find torn apart as the Harralsons take the Kennedys to see their bedroom wallpaper?
4. What kind of dog does Claire own?
5. What kind of flowers does Colquitt take when she goes to meet the Sheehans for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the arrival of Duck at the dinner party upset Anita?
2. What is unusual about the behavior of Razz and Foster when the Harralson house begins going up?
3. How does Pie react to her parents' arrival at the party?
4. When Colquitt calls Anita to invite her for a dinner party, what reason does Anita give for taking so long to answer the phone, and what does Colquitt think is the real reason?
5. Why did Colquitt decide to leave the public relations company she worked at to do freelance public relations?
6. Why is Colquitt surprised to hear that a house is being built on the McIntyre lot?
7. What is unusual about Pie's behavior in the hospital following her miscarriage?
8. How does Colquitt react to Claire's blaming the house for Anita's upset at seeing Duck and the Harralsons' tragedy?
9. Why do Colquitt's neighbors begin to jab at her and Walter about her relationship with Kim?
10. Why doesn't Pie plan to show her father the house plans before the house is built?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between Colquitt and Kim like? How does Colquitt view the relationship? How do others see it? How does the relationship change over the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is an archetype and how is the house the archetypal bad place?
Essay Topic 3
How does the relationship between Walter and Colquitt evolve over the course of the book? At what points do they draw closer and at what points do they pull away from one another a bit? What is their relationship like at the close of the book?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)