Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
2. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
3. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
4. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
5. Which one of the following is not included by the poet in the list of people that the Muses favor?
Essay Topic 1
The adventures of Herakles are presented in The Hymn to Herakles.
1) Describe the origin of Herakles, and the recurring theme that it reflects.
2) Explain why Herakles is known for his strength by including examples of the feats in The Hymn to Herakles.
3) Describe how Herakles proves himself and the way he is ultimately rewarded.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how and why myths were written to be entertaining using the hymns to provide examples. Also, analyze the possible results of the myths and their effectiveness if they were not designed to be as entertaining, or could not maintain a person's interest.
Essay Topic 3
Aphrodite's attraction to mortal men is discussed in detail in The Hymn to Aphrodite.
1) Describe the birth of Aphrodite from The Second Hymn to Aphrodite and how she was received by the gods initially.
2) Explain why and how Aphrodite is attracted to mortal men and Zeus's involvement.
3) Analyze the plan that Aphrodite invents to become closer to Anchises and how he responds.
4) Explain the origin of Aeneas, what his childhood will be like, and who he eventually grows to become.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)