|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What suffers as a result of Demeter's quest to find her daughter?
2. How does Aphrodite think that Aeneas will be treated by the gods?
3. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
4. When is Anchises bewitched by Aphrodite's beauty?
5. Who does the poet praise in The Second Hymn to Demeter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The adventures of Herakles are presented in The Hymn to Herakles.
1) Describe the origin of Herakles, and the recurring theme that it reflects.
2) Explain why Herakles is known for his strength by including examples of the feats in The Hymn to Herakles.
3) Describe how Herakles proves himself and the way he is ultimately rewarded.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Zeus and Poseidon in terms of characteristics, skills, reputation, and influence. Also, explain some of the possible reasons why the hymns for both Zeus and Poseidon might have been so short. Use The Hymn to Zeus and The Hymn to Poseidon as a reference to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
This essay will be about The Hymn to Artemis, The Second Hymn to Artemis, and the role of women warriors in Greek mythology.
1) Describe Artemis as she is presented in the hymn.
2) Explain why Artemis is known for two qualities that are not usually associated with each other.
3) Analyze the general purposes of the shorter hymns and what the intentions might have been in writing The Hymn to Artemis.
4) Using The Hymn to Athena, compare Artemis with Athena and their influence on war and in general.
This section contains 1,457 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)