|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
2. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
3. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
4. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
5. Which one of the following is not included by the poet in the list of people that the Muses favor?
Essay Topic 1
Using The Hymn to Hermes as an example, analyze the human element of Greek mythology and why it was necessary in order for people to relate to the stories of the gods. Include an explanation of what happens between Apollo and Hermes after the judgment, the significance or symbolism of the lyre and music, and what Hermes's wand represents.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the entire saga of Demeter and her search for Persephone. Include an analysis of how Zeus becomes involved, the story of Demeter, King Celeus, and Metanira, the reunion between Demeter and Persephone, and how it leads to the changing of the seasons. Also, describe how Greek mythology was designed to explain the origins for things and which hymns illustrate that intent the most.
Essay Topic 3
Chronicle the development of Ancient Greek lyrical poetry, the development of the Greek alphabet, how stories might have been created before it, and the different styles used to distinguish the epic poems from other writings. Include an explanation of the forms used in Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey as a comparison to the writing in other ages and how Homer's work is used to support the theory of the existence of Homeric bards.
This section contains 1,450 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)