|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the hymn, how did the men that Hephaistos represents live?
2. How many mythic stories are combined in The Hymn to Demeter?
3. Who does Zeus send to free Demeter's daughter?
4. Which one of the following is Athena known for?
5. What does Anchises do after his affair with Aphrodite?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Persephone and Demeter reunited and what are the conditions of Persephone's return?
2. How is The Hymn to Zeus written and how is Zeus defined in it?
3. How does Anchises respond to Aphrodite's true identity and what is the result of their affair?
4. How does Demeter reward the kindness of Celeus and Metanira and what is the result?
5. How is the birth of Aphrodite explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite?
6. What happens to Demeter's daughter and how does Demeter initially respond?
7. What type of goddess is Demeter and how many hymns are dedicated to her?
8. Which lesson does The Hymn to Hephaistos illustrate?
9. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon, and what is the moon's name?
10. What powers are described in The Hymn to Poseidon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This essay will be about The Hymn to Artemis, The Second Hymn to Artemis, and the role of women warriors in Greek mythology.
1) Describe Artemis as she is presented in the hymn.
2) Explain why Artemis is known for two qualities that are not usually associated with each other.
3) Analyze the general purposes of the shorter hymns and what the intentions might have been in writing The Hymn to Artemis.
4) Using The Hymn to Athena, compare Artemis with Athena and their influence on war and in general.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hestia's presence and the importance of it as it relates to both the immortal and mortal. In addition, compare Hestia's involvement in Greek mythology with the other gods and goddesses, and explain why she is considered to hold so much power.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Zeus and Poseidon in terms of characteristics, skills, reputation, and influence. Also, explain some of the possible reasons why the hymns for both Zeus and Poseidon might have been so short. Use The Hymn to Zeus and The Hymn to Poseidon as a reference to support your analysis.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)