|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Demeter's daughter?
2. How many mythic stories are combined in The Hymn to Demeter?
3. How many seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
4. Where did the men live that Hephaistos represents in the hymn?
5. What is Hades's nickname?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aphrodite's attraction to mortal men is discussed in detail in The Hymn to Aphrodite.
1) Describe the birth of Aphrodite from The Second Hymn to Aphrodite and how she was received by the gods initially.
2) Explain why and how Aphrodite is attracted to mortal men and Zeus's involvement.
3) Analyze the plan that Aphrodite invents to become closer to Anchises and how he responds.
4) Explain the origin of Aeneas, what his childhood will be like, and who he eventually grows to become.
Essay Topic 2
The adventures of Herakles are presented in The Hymn to Herakles.
1) Describe the origin of Herakles, and the recurring theme that it reflects.
2) Explain why Herakles is known for his strength by including examples of the feats in The Hymn to Herakles.
3) Describe how Herakles proves himself and the way he is ultimately rewarded.
Essay Topic 3
Using The Hymn to Hermes as an example, analyze the human element of Greek mythology and why it was necessary in order for people to relate to the stories of the gods. Include an explanation of what happens between Apollo and Hermes after the judgment, the significance or symbolism of the lyre and music, and what Hermes's wand represents.
This section contains 1,411 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)