Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
2. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
3. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
4. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
5. Which one of the following is not included by the poet in the list of people that the Muses favor?
Essay Topic 1
The Hymn to Hermes is the longest hymn of the collection.
1) Describe Hermes's birth, childhood, and characteristics.
2) Explain how Hermes invents the lyre.
3) Describe the theft of Apollo's cattle and the response of Maia, Apollo, and Zeus to Hermes's crime.
Essay Topic 2
Nature is a major element that is explored in Greek mythology.
1) Explain The Hymn to the Earth and the ways that Earth's blessings are manifested, using the hymn to provide examples of the Earth's characteristics and qualities, as well as what the poet gives her credit for and why.
2) Analyze the metaphors that are used in The Hymn to the Sun and The Hymn to the Moon along with the different powers that both the sun and moon possess.
3) Explain the origin of Castor and Pollux and what their existence means to the Greeks and nature.
Essay Topic 3
This essay will be about The Hymn to Artemis, The Second Hymn to Artemis, and the role of women warriors in Greek mythology.
1) Describe Artemis as she is presented in the hymn.
2) Explain why Artemis is known for two qualities that are not usually associated with each other.
3) Analyze the general purposes of the shorter hymns and what the intentions might have been in writing The Hymn to Artemis.
4) Using The Hymn to Athena, compare Artemis with Athena and their influence on war and in general.
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)