Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
2. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
3. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
4. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
5. Which one of the following is not included by the poet in the list of people that the Muses favor?
The Hymn to Hermes is the longest hymn of the collection.
1) Describe Hermes's birth, childhood, and characteristics.
2) Explain how Hermes invents the lyre.
3) Describe the theft of Apollo's cattle and the response of Maia, Apollo, and Zeus to Hermes's crime.
This essay will be about The Hymn to Artemis, The Second Hymn to Artemis, and the role of women warriors in Greek mythology.
1) Describe Artemis as she is presented in the hymn.
2) Explain why Artemis is known for two qualities that are not usually associated with each other.
3) Analyze the general purposes of the shorter hymns and what the intentions might have been in writing The Hymn to Artemis.
4) Using The Hymn to Athena, compare Artemis with Athena and their influence on war and in general.
The compilation of The Homeric Hymns is discussed in the Introduction.
1) Define the term "Homeric" and why it is applied to the hymns that are featured in this collection.
2) Explain the hexameter form that Homer was known to use and how it is present in the hymns.
3) Analyze the different purposes of the hymns as they are presented in the Introduction.
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)