|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the poet, what type of sign is the monthly occurrence of a full moon?
2. What is the last command that Aphrodite has for Anchises?
3. In the hymn, how does the child's mother react to Demeter's attempt to make the child immortal?
4. In The Hymn to the Moon, what analogy is made to the moon?
5. What does Anchises pray for after meeting Aphrodite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Aphrodite known for, and which three goddesses cannot be influenced by her?
2. Who is Aphrodite attracted to and what is her plan?
3. How is Athena's birth described in The Hymn to Athena?
4. What are the main characteristics of Athena?
5. What is the explanation of the seasons according to the myths?
6. How does Demeter encounter King Celeus and Metanira?
7. How many hymns are written about Hestia and what is she praised for?
8. How is The Hymn to Zeus written and how is Zeus defined in it?
9. What type of goddess is Demeter and how many hymns are dedicated to her?
10. What happens to Demeter's daughter and how does Demeter initially respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the description of Hera in The Hymn to Hera with her involvement in various hymns throughout the collection. Include examples and your analysis of why the poet chose to only portray her positive qualities in The Hymn to Hera.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the main differences between major gods and minor gods by explaining the characteristics of each. Also, include descriptions of The Hymn to Asclepios and The Hymn to Pan as examples of the minor gods and what they represent to the poet and Greek myths.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how and why myths were written to be entertaining using the hymns to provide examples. Also, analyze the possible results of the myths and their effectiveness if they were not designed to be as entertaining, or could not maintain a person's interest.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)