Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
2. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
3. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
4. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
5. Which one of the following is not included by the poet in the list of people that the Muses favor?
Essay Topic 1
The Hymn to Delian Apollo and The Hymn to Pythian Apollo are the final two hymns in The Homeric Hymns.
1) Explain the difficult circumstances surrounding Apollo's birth, why his mother had so much trouble, and the way that the island of Delios is rewarded.
2) Describe Apollo's search for the place to build his temple and Oracle, including his use of disguises and manipulation.
3) Explain the effects of Apollo's Oracle in Greek mythology and how the poet refers to it in The Hymn to Pythian Apollo.
4) Analyze the use of disguises in Greek mythology in general, using examples from The Homeric Hymns to provide possible reasons for why the gods chose to be disguised when approaching humans.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the description of Hera in The Hymn to Hera with her involvement in various hymns throughout the collection. Include examples and your analysis of why the poet chose to only portray her positive qualities in The Hymn to Hera.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Hestia's presence and the importance of it as it relates to both the immortal and mortal. In addition, compare Hestia's involvement in Greek mythology with the other gods and goddesses, and explain why she is considered to hold so much power.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)