Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
2. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
3. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
4. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
5. Which one of the following is not included by the poet in the list of people that the Muses favor?
Essay Topic 1
Dionysus is given three hymns in The Homeric Hymns.
1) Describe Dionysus's birth and how he is different than some of the other gods.
2) Explain the events surrounding his capture and how he frees himself.
3) Describe the fate of the crew after Dionysus is free.
4) Using Dionysus's story as an example, analyze the idea of transformation vs. destruction as it is included in Greek mythology.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the possible theories about Homer's life and writings, including why it is believed that he was blind, how this is referred to in the hymns, and the way that his stories may have been recorded. Also, use the information in the Introduction from other historians and writers to provide examples.
Essay Topic 3
The adventures of Herakles are presented in The Hymn to Herakles.
1) Describe the origin of Herakles, and the recurring theme that it reflects.
2) Explain why Herakles is known for his strength by including examples of the feats in The Hymn to Herakles.
3) Describe how Herakles proves himself and the way he is ultimately rewarded.
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)