Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
2. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
3. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
4. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
5. Which one of the following is not included by the poet in the list of people that the Muses favor?
The compilation of The Homeric Hymns is discussed in the Introduction.
1) Define the term "Homeric" and why it is applied to the hymns that are featured in this collection.
2) Explain the hexameter form that Homer was known to use and how it is present in the hymns.
3) Analyze the different purposes of the hymns as they are presented in the Introduction.
Chronicle the development of Ancient Greek lyrical poetry, the development of the Greek alphabet, how stories might have been created before it, and the different styles used to distinguish the epic poems from other writings. Include an explanation of the forms used in Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey as a comparison to the writing in other ages and how Homer's work is used to support the theory of the existence of Homeric bards.
Compare and contrast the description of Hera in The Hymn to Hera with her involvement in various hymns throughout the collection. Include examples and your analysis of why the poet chose to only portray her positive qualities in The Hymn to Hera.
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)