|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zeus send to free Demeter's daughter?
2. When does Aphrodite say that Aeneas, the child she has with Anchises, will be able to return to earth?
3. In the story, how does Aphrodite disguise herself in order to get close to Anchises?
4. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
5. What suffers as a result of Demeter's quest to find her daughter?
Essay Topic 1
Dionysus is given three hymns in The Homeric Hymns.
1) Describe Dionysus's birth and how he is different than some of the other gods.
2) Explain the events surrounding his capture and how he frees himself.
3) Describe the fate of the crew after Dionysus is free.
4) Using Dionysus's story as an example, analyze the idea of transformation vs. destruction as it is included in Greek mythology.
Essay Topic 2
The Hymn to Ares introduces a thought provoking theory about war and peace.
1) Describe how The Hymn to Ares is different in style from the other hymns in the collection and the possible reasons why the poet chose to write it in this style.
2) Explain what Ares is known for and why the poet thinks Ares can provide help in gaining courage.
3) Analyze the request made by the poet at the end of The Hymn to Ares and the idea of how fighting wars might lead to peace.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how and why myths were written to be entertaining using the hymns to provide examples. Also, analyze the possible results of the myths and their effectiveness if they were not designed to be as entertaining, or could not maintain a person's interest.
This section contains 1,480 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)