|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
2. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
3. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
4. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
5. Which one of the following is not included by the poet in the list of people that the Muses favor?
Essay Topic 1
The Hymn to Hermes is the longest hymn of the collection.
1) Describe Hermes's birth, childhood, and characteristics.
2) Explain how Hermes invents the lyre.
3) Describe the theft of Apollo's cattle and the response of Maia, Apollo, and Zeus to Hermes's crime.
Essay Topic 2
The Hymn to Ares introduces a thought provoking theory about war and peace.
1) Describe how The Hymn to Ares is different in style from the other hymns in the collection and the possible reasons why the poet chose to write it in this style.
2) Explain what Ares is known for and why the poet thinks Ares can provide help in gaining courage.
3) Analyze the request made by the poet at the end of The Hymn to Ares and the idea of how fighting wars might lead to peace.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the main differences between major gods and minor gods by explaining the characteristics of each. Also, include descriptions of The Hymn to Asclepios and The Hymn to Pan as examples of the minor gods and what they represent to the poet and Greek myths.
This section contains 1,450 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)