Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
2. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
3. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
4. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
5. Which one of the following is not included by the poet in the list of people that the Muses favor?
Essay Topic 1
Chronicle the development of Ancient Greek lyrical poetry, the development of the Greek alphabet, how stories might have been created before it, and the different styles used to distinguish the epic poems from other writings. Include an explanation of the forms used in Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey as a comparison to the writing in other ages and how Homer's work is used to support the theory of the existence of Homeric bards.
Essay Topic 2
The Muses are an important part of the connection between the gods/goddesses and humanity.
1) Describe the influence of the Muses and what areas of life they affect.
2) Explain who the main people are that are influenced by the Muses and why.
3) Describe the ways that the Muses are included in hymns (besides The Hymn to the Muses) and the value of their participation.
Essay Topic 3
The Hymn to Ares introduces a thought provoking theory about war and peace.
1) Describe how The Hymn to Ares is different in style from the other hymns in the collection and the possible reasons why the poet chose to write it in this style.
2) Explain what Ares is known for and why the poet thinks Ares can provide help in gaining courage.
3) Analyze the request made by the poet at the end of The Hymn to Ares and the idea of how fighting wars might lead to peace.
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)