|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is a term used by the poet to characterize Zeus?
2. Which one of the following was Poseidon also known for?
3. What does Anchises pray for after meeting Aphrodite?
4. Who reportedly witnessed the birth of Athena?
5. What is the last command that Aphrodite has for Anchises?
Essay Topic 1
Dionysus is given three hymns in The Homeric Hymns.
1) Describe Dionysus's birth and how he is different than some of the other gods.
2) Explain the events surrounding his capture and how he frees himself.
3) Describe the fate of the crew after Dionysus is free.
4) Using Dionysus's story as an example, analyze the idea of transformation vs. destruction as it is included in Greek mythology.
Essay Topic 2
The compilation of The Homeric Hymns is discussed in the Introduction.
1) Define the term "Homeric" and why it is applied to the hymns that are featured in this collection.
2) Explain the hexameter form that Homer was known to use and how it is present in the hymns.
3) Analyze the different purposes of the hymns as they are presented in the Introduction.
Essay Topic 3
The Hymn to Hermes is the longest hymn of the collection.
1) Describe Hermes's birth, childhood, and characteristics.
2) Explain how Hermes invents the lyre.
3) Describe the theft of Apollo's cattle and the response of Maia, Apollo, and Zeus to Hermes's crime.
This section contains 1,466 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)