|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hermes use to enable him to fly as he disguises his theft?
2. What meter are the hymns composed in?
3. At the conclusion of the first hymn, how is Hermes described?
4. Who is the father of Hermes, according to the first Hymn?
5. Which one of the following is not included in the description of Hermes provided in The Second Hymn to Hermes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hermes do with the cattle, and how do his mother and Apollo respond?
2. What are the circumstances surrounding Pan's birth and how is he described in The Hymn to Pan?
3. What is the argument between the helmsman and the captain that is described in The Hymn to Dionysus?
4. What happens to the crew of the sailing ship that captured Dionysus?
5. What happens during and after the "trial" of Hermes?
6. What are the varying lengths of the hymns?
7. What is Artemis's skill and how is it described?
8. How does Hermes invent the lyre?
9. How does the poet explain Hera's power?
10. What interesting request does the poet have for Ares?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The compilation of The Homeric Hymns is discussed in the Introduction.
1) Define the term "Homeric" and why it is applied to the hymns that are featured in this collection.
2) Explain the hexameter form that Homer was known to use and how it is present in the hymns.
3) Analyze the different purposes of the hymns as they are presented in the Introduction.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the main differences between major gods and minor gods by explaining the characteristics of each. Also, include descriptions of The Hymn to Asclepios and The Hymn to Pan as examples of the minor gods and what they represent to the poet and Greek myths.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the description of Hera in The Hymn to Hera with her involvement in various hymns throughout the collection. Include examples and your analysis of why the poet chose to only portray her positive qualities in The Hymn to Hera.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)