|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following is not included by the poet in the list of people that the Muses favor?
2. How does the narrative of The Hymn to Aphrodite describe her preparations for approaching Anchises?
3. Based on the ancient myths, what is known to happen when mortals have affairs with immortals?
(a) It can lead to destruction.
(b) It can lead to tragedy.
(c) It can lead to confusion.
(d) It can lead to chaos.
4. After Demeter abandons the attempt to make the child immortal, what kind of existence does she have?
5. How does Aphrodite think that Aeneas will be treated by the gods?
(d) He will be ignored.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does the poet give to the moon?
2. Which one of the following is a term used by the poet to characterize Zeus?
3. Who does Zeus send to free Demeter's daughter?
4. What does Anchises ask Aphrodite for after he learns her identity?
5. What power does The Hymn to Poseidon discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Demeter reward the kindness of Celeus and Metanira and what is the result?
2. What powers are described in The Hymn to Poseidon?
3. What metaphor is used to describe the sun in The Hymn to the Sun?
4. How are Persephone and Demeter reunited and what are the conditions of Persephone's return?
5. Who is Aphrodite attracted to and what is her plan?
6. What is Aphrodite known for, and which three goddesses cannot be influenced by her?
7. How does Demeter encounter King Celeus and Metanira?
8. What metaphor is used to describe the moon in The Hymn to the Moon?
9. In what way does Hestia's power or presence compare to that of the other gods and goddesses?
10. How is Athena's birth described in The Hymn to Athena?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)