|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many hymns are there to Athena?
2. What does Anchises ask Aphrodite for after he learns her identity?
3. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
(a) He is a scupltor.
(b) He is a carpenter.
(c) He is a blacksmith.
(d) He is a painter.
4. What does the poet ask to be blessed with at the conclusion of the final Hymn to Athena?
(a) Happiness and knowledge.
(b) Happiness and fortune.
(c) Good luck and wealth.
(d) Good luck and happiness.
5. When does Aphrodite say that Aeneas, the child she has with Anchises, will be able to return to earth?
(a) When he is eight years old.
(b) When he is five years old.
(c) When he is ten years old.
(d) When he is one year old.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Demeter's wandering described as she searches for her daughter?
2. What does The Hymn to Zeus mainly focus on?
3. What do all of the hymns in this section (The Hymn to Hephaistos, The Hymn to Poseidon, The Hymn to Zeus, and The Hymn to the Muses) have in common?
4. According to the hymn, how does Demeter try to make a child immortal?
5. According to the hymn, what does Hephaistos do for the men he represents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor is used to describe the sun in The Hymn to the Sun?
2. What happens when Aphrodite meets Anchises?
3. What metaphor is used to describe the moon in The Hymn to the Moon?
4. How does Anchises respond to Aphrodite's true identity and what is the result of their affair?
5. Who is Aphrodite attracted to and what is her plan?
6. What is the reason given in The Hymn to Aphrodite for Aphrodite's attraction to mortal men?
7. How are Persephone and Demeter reunited and what are the conditions of Persephone's return?
8. Who is Hephaistos and what is he known for?
9. What type of goddess is Demeter and how many hymns are dedicated to her?
10. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon, and what is the moon's name?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)