|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the poet, what type of sign is the monthly occurrence of a full moon?
(a) A confirmation.
(b) A troubling sign.
(c) A sign for help.
(d) An assurance.
2. Based on the ancient myths, what is known to happen when mortals have affairs with immortals?
(a) It can lead to chaos.
(b) It can lead to confusion.
(c) It can lead to destruction.
(d) It can lead to tragedy.
3. How is Hades first described in The Hymn to Demeter?
(a) He who receives so few.
(b) He who takes what is not theirs.
(c) He who receives so many.
(d) He who takes from the Earth.
4. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon?
(a) The Muses.
(b) The Sirens.
(c) The Nymphs.
(d) The Harpies.
5. Whose house does the poet mention at the end of The Second Hymn to Hestia because it is blessed by Hestia?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is Athena known for?
2. Whose child does Demeter attempt to make immortal?
3. Which fruit's seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
4. As stated in The Hymn to Aphrodite, what is Athena known for?
5. Which manifestations of the sun are discussed in The Hymn to the Sun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hephaistos and what is he known for?
2. What happens when Aphrodite meets Anchises?
3. What powers are described in The Hymn to Poseidon?
4. What metaphor is used to describe the sun in The Hymn to the Sun?
5. How does Demeter reward the kindness of Celeus and Metanira and what is the result?
6. What is Aphrodite known for, and which three goddesses cannot be influenced by her?
7. How does Demeter encounter King Celeus and Metanira?
8. Which lesson does The Hymn to Hephaistos illustrate?
9. What does the Dioscuri refer to in the two hymns to Dioscuri?
10. How is Athena's birth described in The Hymn to Athena?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)