|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Demeter abandons the attempt to make the child immortal, what kind of existence does she have?
2. According to the hymn, how does Demeter try to make a child immortal?
(a) By dipping his feet in water.
(b) By resting him on a cloud.
(c) By holding him over a fire.
(d) By rubbing his feet.
3. How many hymns are there to Athena?
4. What name does the poet give to the moon?
5. When does Aphrodite say that Aeneas, the child she has with Anchises, will be able to return to earth?
(a) When he is five years old.
(b) When he is eight years old.
(c) When he is one year old.
(d) When he is ten years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aphrodite think that Aeneas will be treated by the gods?
2. Which one of the following is not something that Demeter is known for?
3. In the poet's prayer at the conclusion of The Hymn to the Sun, what does he hope that his life will satisfy?
4. Whose house does the poet mention at the end of The Second Hymn to Hestia because it is blessed by Hestia?
5. Who does Zeus send to free Demeter's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is The Hymn to Zeus written and how is Zeus defined in it?
2. How is the birth of Aphrodite explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite?
3. Who is Hephaistos and what is he known for?
4. How does Demeter encounter King Celeus and Metanira?
5. Who is Aphrodite attracted to and what is her plan?
6. What does the Dioscuri refer to in the two hymns to Dioscuri?
7. What is the reason given in The Hymn to Aphrodite for Aphrodite's attraction to mortal men?
8. What are the main characteristics of Athena?
9. How does Anchises respond to Aphrodite's true identity and what is the result of their affair?
10. Who are the Muses and what influence do they have?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)