|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Zeus described by the poet in The Hymn to Zeus?
(a) The most remembered of all.
(b) The most popular of all.
(c) The most famous of all.
(d) The strongest of all.
2. Whose house does the poet mention at the end of The Second Hymn to Hestia because it is blessed by Hestia?
3. As explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite, how was Aphrodite born?
(a) From the rays of the sun.
(b) From the center of a flower.
(c) From the flames of a fire.
(d) From the foam of the sea.
4. Who is Athena's father?
5. How does Aphrodite think that Aeneas will be treated by the gods?
(a) He will be ignored.
Short Answer Questions
1. What power does The Hymn to Poseidon discuss?
2. Which manifestations of the sun are discussed in The Hymn to the Sun?
3. What does Anchises pray for after meeting Aphrodite?
4. As described by the poet, what kind of wings do Castor and Pollux use to shoot across the sky?
5. What suffers as a result of Demeter's quest to find her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which lesson does The Hymn to Hephaistos illustrate?
2. What metaphor is used to describe the moon in The Hymn to the Moon?
3. What type of goddess is Demeter and how many hymns are dedicated to her?
4. What happens when Aphrodite meets Anchises?
5. How does Demeter encounter King Celeus and Metanira?
6. What is the explanation of the seasons according to the myths?
7. What metaphor is used to describe the sun in The Hymn to the Sun?
8. What is Aphrodite known for, and which three goddesses cannot be influenced by her?
9. How does Demeter reward the kindness of Celeus and Metanira and what is the result?
10. Who are the Muses and what influence do they have?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)