|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose house does the poet mention at the end of The Second Hymn to Hestia because it is blessed by Hestia?
2. What characteristic does the hymn point out about Hephaistos?
(a) His persistence.
(b) His cautiousness.
(c) His persuasiveness.
(d) His cleverness.
3. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
(a) Deformed, but not ugly.
(b) Neither ugly nor deformed.
(c) Ugly, but not deformed.
(d) Ugly and deformed.
4. When does Aphrodite say that Aeneas, the child she has with Anchises, will be able to return to earth?
(a) When he is ten years old.
(b) When he is eight years old.
(c) When he is one year old.
(d) When he is five years old.
5. Which fruit's seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last command that Aphrodite has for Anchises?
2. What is the general tone of The Hymn to Zeus?
3. What does Anchises pray for after meeting Aphrodite?
4. Based on the ancient myths, what is known to happen when mortals have affairs with immortals?
5. How is Hades first described in The Hymn to Demeter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon, and what is the moon's name?
2. How is Athena's birth described in The Hymn to Athena?
3. What is Aphrodite known for, and which three goddesses cannot be influenced by her?
4. How many hymns are written about Hestia and what is she praised for?
5. What is the reason given in The Hymn to Aphrodite for Aphrodite's attraction to mortal men?
6. What metaphor is used to describe the sun in The Hymn to the Sun?
7. What are the main characteristics of Athena?
8. What happens when Aphrodite meets Anchises?
9. How does Demeter reward the kindness of Celeus and Metanira and what is the result?
10. What happens to Demeter's daughter and how does Demeter initially respond?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)