|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What metaphor is made to the sun's journey in The Hymn to the Sun?
(a) A blazing fire.
(b) A speeding star.
(c) A ball of energy.
(d) A golden chariot.
2. In The Hymn to Aphrodite, what job does Anchises have?
(a) He is a poet.
(b) He is a soldier.
(c) He is a cowherd.
(d) He is a sheepherder.
3. As stated in the hymn, which King welcomes Demeter into his home?
4. Which fruit's seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
5. Which disguise does Demeter use in the hymn?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A bright light.
(c) A bird.
(d) A star.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Demeter abandons the attempt to make the child immortal, what kind of existence does she have?
2. Who does the poet praise in The Second Hymn to Demeter?
3. What is the general tone of The Hymn to Zeus?
4. According to the myth, where was Athena born?
5. As stated in The Hymn to Aphrodite, what is Athena known for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Muses and what influence do they have?
2. How is The Hymn to Zeus written and how is Zeus defined in it?
3. What does the poet pray for at the end of The Hymn to Poseidon?
4. How does Anchises respond to Aphrodite's true identity and what is the result of their affair?
5. What does the Dioscuri refer to in the two hymns to Dioscuri?
6. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon, and what is the moon's name?
7. How does Demeter encounter King Celeus and Metanira?
8. How is the birth of Aphrodite explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite?
9. How is Athena's birth described in The Hymn to Athena?
10. How does Demeter reward the kindness of Celeus and Metanira and what is the result?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)