|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many mythic stories are combined in The Hymn to Demeter?
2. Based on the hymn, how many goddesses are there that Aphrodite cannot influence?
3. What prayer does the poet make in The Hymn to Poseidon?
(a) For the brief trips of sailors.
(b) For strong winds on the sails of ships.
(c) For good weather over the seas.
(d) For the safety of sailors and ships.
4. What type of arts is Athena known for?
5. Whose house does the poet mention at the end of The Second Hymn to Hestia because it is blessed by Hestia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does The Hymn to Zeus mainly focus on?
2. How is Demeter's wandering described as she searches for her daughter?
3. After Demeter abandons the attempt to make the child immortal, what kind of existence does she have?
4. What does Anchises ask Aphrodite for after he learns her identity?
5. Based on the information provided in The Hymns to the Dioscuri, who do Castor and Pollux protect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What powers are described in The Hymn to Poseidon?
2. What does the poet pray for at the end of The Hymn to Poseidon?
3. What is the reason given in The Hymn to Aphrodite for Aphrodite's attraction to mortal men?
4. What happens to Demeter's daughter and how does Demeter initially respond?
5. What type of goddess is Demeter and how many hymns are dedicated to her?
6. How are Persephone and Demeter reunited and what are the conditions of Persephone's return?
7. How does Demeter reward the kindness of Celeus and Metanira and what is the result?
8. What is the explanation of the seasons according to the myths?
9. Who is Hephaistos and what is he known for?
10. What happens when Aphrodite meets Anchises?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)