|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet ask to be blessed with at the conclusion of the final Hymn to Athena?
(a) Good luck and wealth.
(b) Happiness and fortune.
(c) Happiness and knowledge.
(d) Good luck and happiness.
2. Who is Athena's father?
3. What is Hades's nickname?
(a) Lord of the Unliving.
(b) Ruler of the Unliving.
(c) Lord of the Dead.
(d) Ruler of the Dead.
4. How does the narrative of The Hymn to Aphrodite describe her preparations for approaching Anchises?
5. According to Aphrodite, what will the child she has with Anchises grow to become?
(a) A great philosopher.
(b) A great poet.
(c) A great warrior.
(d) A great writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
2. What does the poem in The Third Hymn to Aphrodite describe?
3. What do all of the hymns in this section (The Hymn to Hephaistos, The Hymn to Poseidon, The Hymn to Zeus, and The Hymn to the Muses) have in common?
4. According to the poet of the hymns, who is responsible for Aphrodite's desire for mortal men?
5. Which one of the following is a term used by the poet to characterize Zeus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of goddess is Demeter and how many hymns are dedicated to her?
2. Which lesson does The Hymn to Hephaistos illustrate?
3. Who are the Muses and what influence do they have?
4. Who is Aphrodite attracted to and what is her plan?
5. How is Athena's birth described in The Hymn to Athena?
6. How does Anchises respond to Aphrodite's true identity and what is the result of their affair?
7. How is the birth of Aphrodite explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite?
8. How does Demeter reward the kindness of Celeus and Metanira and what is the result?
9. What is the explanation of the seasons according to the myths?
10. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon, and what is the moon's name?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)