|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Aphrodite, what will the child she has with Anchises grow to become?
(a) A great philosopher.
(b) A great writer.
(c) A great poet.
(d) A great warrior.
2. After Demeter abandons the attempt to make the child immortal, what kind of existence does she have?
3. What is the general tone of The Hymn to Zeus?
4. What name does the poet give to the moon?
5. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the hymn, how does the child's mother react to Demeter's attempt to make the child immortal?
2. Who does Zeus send to free Demeter's daughter?
3. When does Aphrodite say that Aeneas, the child she has with Anchises, will be able to return to earth?
4. According to the poet, what type of sign is the monthly occurrence of a full moon?
5. Whose origin does The Hymn to the Sun describe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor is used to describe the sun in The Hymn to the Sun?
2. What is the reason given in The Hymn to Aphrodite for Aphrodite's attraction to mortal men?
3. How is Athena's birth described in The Hymn to Athena?
4. How is The Hymn to Zeus written and how is Zeus defined in it?
5. What type of goddess is Demeter and how many hymns are dedicated to her?
6. In what way does Hestia's power or presence compare to that of the other gods and goddesses?
7. What happens when Aphrodite meets Anchises?
8. How are Persephone and Demeter reunited and what are the conditions of Persephone's return?
9. What does the Dioscuri refer to in the two hymns to Dioscuri?
10. How does Anchises respond to Aphrodite's true identity and what is the result of their affair?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)