|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the hymn, how does the child's mother react to Demeter's attempt to make the child immortal?
(a) With anger.
(b) With gratitude.
(c) With fear.
(d) With laughter.
2. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
(a) He is a scupltor.
(b) He is a painter.
(c) He is a blacksmith.
(d) He is a carpenter.
3. What do all of the hymns in this section (The Hymn to Hephaistos, The Hymn to Poseidon, The Hymn to Zeus, and The Hymn to the Muses) have in common?
(a) They are all long.
(b) They are all based on Homer's experiences.
(c) They are all brief.
(d) They are all preludes to other hymns.
4. Who is Athena's father?
5. What name does the poet give to the moon?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of arts is Athena known for?
2. Which one of the following is a term used by the poet to characterize Zeus?
3. Which one of the following was Poseidon also known for?
4. What power does The Hymn to Poseidon discuss?
5. How is Hestia's presence described in the Hymns to Hestia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the main characteristics of Athena?
2. What powers are described in The Hymn to Poseidon?
3. What happens to Demeter's daughter and how does Demeter initially respond?
4. What happens when Aphrodite meets Anchises?
5. How does Anchises respond to Aphrodite's true identity and what is the result of their affair?
6. What metaphor is used to describe the sun in The Hymn to the Sun?
7. How many hymns are written about Hestia and what is she praised for?
8. What metaphor is used to describe the moon in The Hymn to the Moon?
9. How does Demeter encounter King Celeus and Metanira?
10. Which lesson does The Hymn to Hephaistos illustrate?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)