|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the poet of the hymns, who is responsible for Aphrodite's desire for mortal men?
2. As stated in the hymn, which King welcomes Demeter into his home?
3. Which one of the following was Poseidon also known for?
4. What does Anchises ask Aphrodite for after he learns her identity?
5. Based on the information provided in their hymn, what do the Muses influence?
(a) Music, history, dance, and poetry.
(b) Music, history, and poetry, but not dance.
(c) Music, dance, and poetry, but not history.
(d) Music, and dance, but not poetry or history.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Aphrodite say that Aeneas, the child she has with Anchises, will be able to return to earth?
2. In the poet's prayer at the conclusion of The Hymn to the Sun, what does he hope that his life will satisfy?
3. How many seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
4. How is Hestia's presence described in the Hymns to Hestia?
5. How does Aphrodite think that Aeneas will be treated by the gods?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many hymns are written about Hestia and what is she praised for?
2. What type of goddess is Demeter and how many hymns are dedicated to her?
3. Who is Aphrodite attracted to and what is her plan?
4. Which lesson does The Hymn to Hephaistos illustrate?
5. Who is Hephaistos and what is he known for?
6. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon, and what is the moon's name?
7. In what way does Hestia's power or presence compare to that of the other gods and goddesses?
8. What does the Dioscuri refer to in the two hymns to Dioscuri?
9. How are Persephone and Demeter reunited and what are the conditions of Persephone's return?
10. How does Demeter encounter King Celeus and Metanira?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)