|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What metaphor is made to the sun's journey in The Hymn to the Sun?
(a) A golden chariot.
(b) A blazing fire.
(c) A ball of energy.
(d) A speeding star.
2. As described by the poet, what kind of wings do Castor and Pollux use to shoot across the sky?
3. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon?
(a) The Muses.
(b) The Nymphs.
(c) The Harpies.
(d) The Sirens.
4. Which one of the following is a term used by the poet to characterize Zeus?
(a) The original.
(b) The best.
(c) The incomparable.
(d) The greatest.
5. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
(a) Neither ugly nor deformed.
(b) Ugly, but not deformed.
(c) Ugly and deformed.
(d) Deformed, but not ugly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house does the poet mention at the end of The Second Hymn to Hestia because it is blessed by Hestia?
2. What is the general tone of The Hymn to Zeus?
3. Based on the hymn, how many goddesses are there that Aphrodite cannot influence?
4. Based on the ancient myths, what is known to happen when mortals have affairs with immortals?
5. What does Anchises pray for after meeting Aphrodite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Dioscuri refer to in the two hymns to Dioscuri?
2. What does the poet pray for at the end of The Hymn to Poseidon?
3. What is Aphrodite known for, and which three goddesses cannot be influenced by her?
4. How does Demeter reward the kindness of Celeus and Metanira and what is the result?
5. Who is Aphrodite attracted to and what is her plan?
6. How are Persephone and Demeter reunited and what are the conditions of Persephone's return?
7. What metaphor is used to describe the sun in The Hymn to the Sun?
8. What happens when Aphrodite meets Anchises?
9. How does Anchises respond to Aphrodite's true identity and what is the result of their affair?
10. What powers are described in The Hymn to Poseidon?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)