|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Demeter's daughter?
2. According to Aphrodite, what will the child she has with Anchises grow to become?
(a) A great poet.
(b) A great writer.
(c) A great warrior.
(d) A great philosopher.
3. As stated in The Hymn to Aphrodite, what is Athena known for?
4. What does Anchises do after his affair with Aphrodite?
(a) He sings a song.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He says a prayer.
5. What is the last command that Aphrodite has for Anchises?
(a) To begin preparing to raise their son.
(b) To find a woman to marry.
(c) To tell everyone about her visit.
(d) To remain silent about her visit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which fruit's seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
2. Whose origin does The Hymn to the Sun describe?
3. As stated in the hymn, which King welcomes Demeter into his home?
4. What power does The Hymn to Poseidon discuss?
5. Which one of the following was Poseidon also known for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the birth of Aphrodite explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite?
2. What is the reason given in The Hymn to Aphrodite for Aphrodite's attraction to mortal men?
3. What happens to Demeter's daughter and how does Demeter initially respond?
4. What is the explanation of the seasons according to the myths?
5. What type of goddess is Demeter and how many hymns are dedicated to her?
6. How does Anchises respond to Aphrodite's true identity and what is the result of their affair?
7. What metaphor is used to describe the moon in The Hymn to the Moon?
8. What happens when Aphrodite meets Anchises?
9. What is Aphrodite known for, and which three goddesses cannot be influenced by her?
10. How does Demeter reward the kindness of Celeus and Metanira and what is the result?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)