|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the hymn, how does Demeter try to make a child immortal?
(a) By resting him on a cloud.
(b) By dipping his feet in water.
(c) By rubbing his feet.
(d) By holding him over a fire.
2. Which one of the following is Athena known for?
3. What name does the poet give to the moon?
4. When does Aphrodite say that Aeneas, the child she has with Anchises, will be able to return to earth?
(a) When he is ten years old.
(b) When he is five years old.
(c) When he is one year old.
(d) When he is eight years old.
5. What type of arts is Athena known for?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the poet of the hymns, who is responsible for Aphrodite's desire for mortal men?
2. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
3. According to the poet, what type of sign is the monthly occurrence of a full moon?
4. According to the myth, where was Athena born?
5. Based on the hymn, how many goddesses are there that Aphrodite cannot influence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Demeter encounter King Celeus and Metanira?
2. What does the poet pray for at the end of The Hymn to Poseidon?
3. Who is Aphrodite attracted to and what is her plan?
4. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon, and what is the moon's name?
5. Which lesson does The Hymn to Hephaistos illustrate?
6. What is the reason given in The Hymn to Aphrodite for Aphrodite's attraction to mortal men?
7. What metaphor is used to describe the moon in The Hymn to the Moon?
8. How are Persephone and Demeter reunited and what are the conditions of Persephone's return?
9. How does Demeter reward the kindness of Celeus and Metanira and what is the result?
10. What is the explanation of the seasons according to the myths?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)