|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the information provided in The Hymns to the Dioscuri, who do Castor and Pollux protect?
2. According to the hymn, what does Hephaistos do for the men he represents?
(a) He makes their work easier and more widely accepted.
(b) He has no effect on them.
(c) He makes their work easier, but still not widely accepted.
(d) He makes their work widely accepted, but not easier.
3. What do all of the hymns in this section (The Hymn to Hephaistos, The Hymn to Poseidon, The Hymn to Zeus, and The Hymn to the Muses) have in common?
(a) They are all preludes to other hymns.
(b) They are all long.
(c) They are all based on Homer's experiences.
(d) They are all brief.
4. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
(a) With laughter.
(b) With sadness.
(c) With silence.
(d) With fear.
5. Which one of Athena's attributes is the subject of the final Hymn to Athena?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is a term used by the poet to characterize Zeus?
2. As described by the poet, what kind of wings do Castor and Pollux use to shoot across the sky?
3. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
4. In the hymn, how does the child's mother react to Demeter's attempt to make the child immortal?
5. In The Hymn to the Moon, what analogy is made to the moon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of goddess is Demeter and how many hymns are dedicated to her?
2. What is Aphrodite known for, and which three goddesses cannot be influenced by her?
3. How is The Hymn to Zeus written and how is Zeus defined in it?
4. What is the reason given in The Hymn to Aphrodite for Aphrodite's attraction to mortal men?
5. What metaphor is used to describe the moon in The Hymn to the Moon?
6. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon, and what is the moon's name?
7. How does Demeter encounter King Celeus and Metanira?
8. Who are the Muses and what influence do they have?
9. What does the poet pray for at the end of The Hymn to Poseidon?
10. How is the birth of Aphrodite explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)