|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anchises pray for after meeting Aphrodite?
(a) That she will leave him alone.
(b) That she will give him powers.
(c) That she is telling the truth.
(d) That she will introduce him to Zeus.
2. How many mythic stories are combined in The Hymn to Demeter?
3. According to the myth, where was Athena born?
(a) From her father's chin.
(b) From her mother's forehead.
(c) From her mother's chin.
(d) From her father's forehead.
4. How many hymns are there to Athena?
5. Which one of the following is not included by the poet in the list of people that the Muses favor?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the poet, what type of sign is the monthly occurrence of a full moon?
2. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
3. Whose child does Demeter attempt to make immortal?
4. Which fruit's seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
5. What is Hades's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anchises respond to Aphrodite's true identity and what is the result of their affair?
2. What powers are described in The Hymn to Poseidon?
3. Which lesson does The Hymn to Hephaistos illustrate?
4. How does Demeter encounter King Celeus and Metanira?
5. What are the main characteristics of Athena?
6. How is Athena's birth described in The Hymn to Athena?
7. What metaphor is used to describe the moon in The Hymn to the Moon?
8. What happens to Demeter's daughter and how does Demeter initially respond?
9. In what way does Hestia's power or presence compare to that of the other gods and goddesses?
10. How is the birth of Aphrodite explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)