|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What century did the Ancient Greeks begin to use the alphabetic script?
2. Who is judging Hermes for his crimes?
3. What invocation to Dionysus ends the third hymn?
(a) Girl-crazy goat.
(b) Girl-crazy lion.
(c) Wild, noisy lion.
(d) Wild, noisy goat.
4. As used by the Greeks to describe The Homeric Hymns, what does the word, charis, mean?
5. What is the length of the longest hymn?
(a) Twenty eight lines.
(b) Two hundred and eighty lines.
(c) Fifty eight lines.
(d) Five hundred and eighty lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Artemis's skill?
2. Who jumps overboard after Dionysus's transformation?
3. How many of the stolen animals does Hermes sacrifice in the caves?
4. Which argument does the poet describe in The Hymn to Dionysus?
5. Who is believed to be Herakles's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Artemis's beauty portrayed in The Second Hymn to Artemis.
2. What leads historians to believe that Homer either wrote or was influential in the writing of the hymns?
3. How does the poet explain Hera's power?
4. What is different about the way The Hymn to Ares begins and what is Ares known for?
5. According to The Hymn to the Earth, how do the Earth's blessings manifest?
6. What does Hermes steal from Apollo and how does he do it?
7. Where is Dionysus captured in The Hymn to Dionysus?
8. What happens to the crew of the sailing ship that captured Dionysus?
9. How is the Earth referred to in The Hymn to the Earth, and what is she praised for?
10. Who assists the poet in The Hymn to the Mother of the Gods, and what does it refer to?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)