|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is believed to be Herakles's father?
2. What talent of Apollo is described in the first Hymn to Hermes?
3. In the story, where is Dionysus raised?
(a) A secret cave.
(b) A secret fortress.
(c) A secret mountain.
(d) A secret island.
4. At the conclusion of the first hymn, how is Hermes described?
(a) As a cheater and a helper.
(b) As a cheater, but not a helper.
(c) As a helper, but not a cheater.
(d) As neither a helper nor a cheater.
5. What does the helmsman of the boat recognize?
(a) The holiness of the prisoner.
(b) The danger that the crew is in.
(c) That the boat was sinking.
(d) That the boat was going off course.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many songs are used to compose the Homeric Hymns?
2. What is the judgment that Hermes receives?
3. Based on the information provided in The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who raises Dionysus?
4. What type of leaves appear as the boat continues to sail while holding Dionysus?
5. What century did the Ancient Greeks begin to use the alphabetic script?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the argument between the helmsman and the captain that is described in The Hymn to Dionysus?
2. What is Artemis's skill and how is it described?
3. What are the varying lengths of the hymns?
4. What does Hermes do with the cattle, and how do his mother and Apollo respond?
5. What other name is Herakles known as, and how is he born?
6. How does Dionysus free himself from the crew of the sailing boat?
7. What leads historians to believe that Homer either wrote or was influential in the writing of the hymns?
8. How is Artemis's beauty portrayed in The Second Hymn to Artemis.
9. What is unique about the length of The Hymn to Hermes and what is Hermes known for?
10. Where is Dionysus captured in The Hymn to Dionysus?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)