|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who jumps overboard after Dionysus's transformation?
(a) The entire crew except for the captain.
(b) The entire crew.
(c) The entire crew except for the helmsman.
(d) No one.
2. What does Dionysus turn the crew of the ship into?
3. When does Hermes reportedly kill a large turtle?
(a) Two weeks after he is born.
(b) The week after he is born.
(c) Two days after he is born.
(d) The day after he is born.
4. According to The Hymn to Pan, what animal makes up the lower half of Pan, who is known for nature and wild music?
(a) A lion.
(b) A zebra.
(c) A horse.
(d) A goat.
5. How is the sailing ship that captures Dionysus described?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Artemis's skill described in the second hymn?
2. How does the poet describe the laws of peace that he wishes to linger in at the end of The Hymn to Ares?
3. What was the syallabic script used by the Greeks in the late Bronze Age?
4. As stated in The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who is the mother of Dionysus?
5. What invocation to Dionysus ends the third hymn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long ago was the collection of The Homeric Hymns formed, and how many songs were compiled?
2. Where is Dionysus captured in The Hymn to Dionysus?
3. What does Hermes do with the cattle, and how do his mother and Apollo respond?
4. What other name is Herakles known as, and how is he born?
5. What are the varying lengths of the hymns?
6. Based on the story in The Third Hymn to Dionysus, why is Dionysus hidden as a child?
7. What is unique about the length of The Hymn to Hermes and what is Hermes known for?
8. How is Artemis's beauty portrayed in The Second Hymn to Artemis.
9. What happens during and after the "trial" of Hermes?
10. What happens to the crew of the sailing ship that captured Dionysus?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)