|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet ask Ares for?
2. How does the poet describe the laws of peace that he wishes to linger in at the end of The Hymn to Ares?
3. What instrument is Artemis known for using?
(b) Her voice.
(c) Her feet.
4. How does Hermes's mother discover that he has been up to no good?
(a) His rudeness.
(b) His odd behavior.
(c) His absence.
(d) His silence.
5. In the story, where is Dionysus raised?
(a) A secret island.
(b) A secret cave.
(c) A secret mountain.
(d) A secret fortress.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the conclusion of the first hymn, how is Hermes described?
2. Based on the myth, what does Hermes use the shell of the turtle to make?
3. According to The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who is the father of Dionysus?
4. Based on the information provided in The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who raises Dionysus?
5. Who is the other major composer of early Greek poetry that is mentioned in the Introduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Dionysus captured in The Hymn to Dionysus?
2. How does Dionysus free himself from the crew of the sailing boat?
3. What is one of the theories for why some of the hymns are so short?
4. What is different about the way The Hymn to Ares begins and what is Ares known for?
5. How is Hermes born and raised?
6. What happens to the crew of the sailing ship that captured Dionysus?
7. What are the varying lengths of the hymns?
8. What is the argument between the helmsman and the captain that is described in The Hymn to Dionysus?
9. Why do some historians think that Homer did not actually write his poems?
10. How is Asclepios described in The Hymn to Asclepios?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)