|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poet's opinion, how do Earth's blessings manifest themselves in males?
2. What does Hermes use to enable him to fly as he disguises his theft?
3. How is Hermes's defense described in the first hymn?
4. What animal does Dionysus turn into while on board the ship?
(a) A lion.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A bear.
(d) A tiger.
5. In The Hymn to the Earth, what does the poet refer to the Earth as?
(a) The guardian of us all.
(b) The mother of us all.
(c) The mother of civilization.
(d) The guardian of civilization.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the first hymn to Hera praise her for?
2. How does The Hymn to Ares end?
3. At the conclusion of the first hymn, how is Hermes described?
4. In the story, where is Dionysus raised?
5. What meter are the hymns composed in?
Short Essay Questions
1. As explained in the Introduction, what is the purpose of The Homeric Hymns?
2. What are the circumstances surrounding Pan's birth and how is he described in The Hymn to Pan?
3. How is the birth and childhood of Dionysus described in The Second Hymn to Dionysus?
4. Where is Dionysus captured in The Hymn to Dionysus?
5. How is Asclepios described in The Hymn to Asclepios?
6. Based on the story in The Third Hymn to Dionysus, why is Dionysus hidden as a child?
7. What does Hermes steal from Apollo and how does he do it?
8. How long ago was the collection of The Homeric Hymns formed, and how many songs were compiled?
9. How does Dionysus free himself from the crew of the sailing boat?
10. What happens during and after the "trial" of Hermes?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)