|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As stated in The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who is the mother of Dionysus?
2. What happens to the helmsman in The Hymn to Dionysus?
(a) He is richly rewarded.
(b) He is turned into a hawk.
(c) He is released by Dionysus on an island.
(d) He swims to safety on a nearby island.
3. As used by the Greeks to describe The Homeric Hymns, what does the word, charis, mean?
4. In the first Hymn to Hermes, who is described as Hermes's mother?
5. What fifth-century poet is mentioned in the Introduction in reference to a description of the Homeridae?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the opinion of the author, how does Hera's power compare to the influence of her husband?
2. What talent of Apollo is described in the first Hymn to Hermes?
3. How does Hermes's mother discover that he has been up to no good?
4. In a tribute, which Greek historian attributes the "Hymn to Apollo" to Homer?
5. What does Hermes steal from Apollo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Hermes born and raised?
2. What is one of the theories for why some of the hymns are so short?
3. How long ago was the collection of The Homeric Hymns formed, and how many songs were compiled?
4. Who assists the poet in The Hymn to the Mother of the Gods, and what does it refer to?
5. What is the argument between the helmsman and the captain that is described in The Hymn to Dionysus?
6. What happens to the crew of the sailing ship that captured Dionysus?
7. What is Herakles known for and what prayer does the poet make at the conclusion of The Hymn to Herakles?
8. How does Dionysus free himself from the crew of the sailing boat?
9. How does Hermes invent the lyre?
10. Where is Dionysus captured in The Hymn to Dionysus?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)