|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following is not a well known recurrent theme of Ancient Greek literature?
(a) Ignorance of the past.
(b) The uncertainty of life.
(c) Ignorance of the future.
(d) The inevitable nature of old age.
2. What does Hermes steal from Apollo?
(a) A group of horses.
(b) A group of oxen.
(c) A herd of cattle.
(d) A herd of sheep.
3. As described in The Hymn to Asclepios, what is Asclepios known for?
4. In the first Hymn to Hermes, where is Hermes judged for his crimes?
(a) Mount Olympus.
(b) Mount Athos.
5. What talent of Apollo is described in the first Hymn to Hermes?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who jumps overboard after Dionysus's transformation?
2. What is the purpose of the first hymn to Artemis?
3. When does Hermes reportedly kill a large turtle?
4. At the conclusion of the first hymn, how is Hermes described?
5. In what way does Hermes's mother respond to Hermes' stealing activities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor is used to describe the moon in The Hymn to the Moon?
2. How is the birth and childhood of Dionysus described in The Second Hymn to Dionysus?
3. What other name is Herakles known as, and how is he born?
4. Which lesson does The Hymn to Hephaistos illustrate?
5. What type of goddess is Demeter and how many hymns are dedicated to her?
6. What are the varying lengths of the hymns?
7. What is Aphrodite known for, and which three goddesses cannot be influenced by her?
8. Who is Aphrodite attracted to and what is her plan?
9. What interesting request does the poet have for Ares?
10. What is Artemis's skill and how is it described?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)