|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the information provided in The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who raises Dionysus?
2. What type of armor does Ares have, according to the poet?
3. What meter are the hymns composed in?
4. How is Artemis's skill described in the second hymn?
(a) Neither powerful nor remorseless.
(b) Powerful, but not remorseless.
(c) Remorseless, but not powerful.
(d) Powerful and remorseless.
5. What is the intent of the captain of the sailing boat?
(a) To release Dionysus on the next island.
(b) To gain knowledge from Dionysus.
(c) To hold Dionysus for ransom.
(d) To destroy Dionysus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hermes use to enable him to fly as he disguises his theft?
2. What type of voice does the author ask Ares to help him restore?
3. What was the syallabic script used by the Greeks in the late Bronze Age?
4. According to the hymn, where does Artemis dance?
5. Based on the findings of archaeologists, which centuries have a gap between them where no writings have been found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the varying lengths of the hymns?
2. According to The Hymn to the Earth, how do the Earth's blessings manifest?
3. What is Herakles known for and what prayer does the poet make at the conclusion of The Hymn to Herakles?
4. How does Dionysus free himself from the crew of the sailing boat?
5. What is different about the way The Hymn to Ares begins and what is Ares known for?
6. What other name is Herakles known as, and how is he born?
7. What happens during and after the "trial" of Hermes?
8. Why do some historians think that Homer did not actually write his poems?
9. What interesting request does the poet have for Ares?
10. How is Asclepios described in The Hymn to Asclepios?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)