|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the first hymn to Artemis?
(a) To describe another god that Artemis emulated.
(b) To describe Artemis' shortcomings.
(c) To introduce Homer's knowledge of Artemis.
(d) To introduce the second one.
2. What was the syallabic script used by the Greeks in the late Bronze Age?
(a) Linear A.
(b) Linear C.
(c) Linear B.
(d) Linear D.
3. What way does the poet describe the manifestation of Earth's blessings in children?
4. How does the poet describe the cowardice he would like to "shake off" in The Hymn to Ares?
5. In the first Hymn to Hermes, who is described as Hermes's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the father of Hermes, according to the first Hymn?
2. How is Artemis's skill described in the second hymn?
3. Who is Hera's husband?
4. Based on the information provided in The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who raises Dionysus?
5. What name is Herakles also known as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are the sailors from in The Hymn to Pythian Apollo, and what disguise does Apollo use in approaching them?
2. What are the main characteristics of Athena?
3. How does Anchises respond to Aphrodite's true identity and what is the result of their affair?
4. What metaphor is used to describe the sun in The Hymn to the Sun?
5. What does Hermes steal from Apollo and how does he do it?
6. Why do some historians think that Homer did not actually write his poems?
7. What is Aphrodite known for, and which three goddesses cannot be influenced by her?
8. What does the Dioscuri refer to in the two hymns to Dioscuri?
9. Where is Dionysus captured in The Hymn to Dionysus?
10. What does Hermes do with the cattle, and how do his mother and Apollo respond?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)