|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As stated in the hymn, who does Ares lead?
(a) All just men.
(b) Most just men.
(c) All loyal men.
(d) Most loyal men.
2. How many of the stolen animals does Hermes sacrifice in the caves?
(c) All of them.
3. What animal does Dionysus turn into while on board the ship?
(a) A bear.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A lion.
(d) A tiger.
4. Based on the myth, what does Hermes use the shell of the turtle to make?
(a) A shield.
(b) A hat.
(c) A lyre.
(d) A bowl.
5. In what way does Hermes's mother respond to Hermes' stealing activities?
(a) She cries.
(b) She scolds him.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She laughs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fruit do the leaves sprout as Dionysus remains on the sailing ship?
2. What fifth-century poet is mentioned in the Introduction in reference to a description of the Homeridae?
3. What name is Herakles also known as?
4. What does the poet ask Ares for?
5. What is the difference between the first and second hymns to Artemis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long ago was the collection of The Homeric Hymns formed, and how many songs were compiled?
2. What is the argument between the helmsman and the captain that is described in The Hymn to Dionysus?
3. What leads historians to believe that Homer either wrote or was influential in the writing of the hymns?
4. Where is Dionysus captured in The Hymn to Dionysus?
5. How is Asclepios described in The Hymn to Asclepios?
6. How is the birth and childhood of Dionysus described in The Second Hymn to Dionysus?
7. How does Hermes invent the lyre?
8. How is Artemis's beauty portrayed in The Second Hymn to Artemis.
9. What happens during and after the "trial" of Hermes?
10. According to The Hymn to the Earth, how do the Earth's blessings manifest?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)