|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name is Herakles also known as?
2. In what way does the author describe how Earth's blessings manifest themselves in females?
3. What does the first hymn to Hera praise her for?
(a) Her mercifulness and glory.
(b) Her eminence and glory.
(c) Her eminence, mercifulness, and glory.
(d) Her eminence and mercifulness.
4. Who is the other major composer of early Greek poetry that is mentioned in the Introduction?
5. In the first Hymn to Hermes, who is described as Hermes's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What fruit do the leaves sprout as Dionysus remains on the sailing ship?
2. What is the length of the longest hymn?
3. What talent of Apollo is described in the first Hymn to Hermes?
4. Which one of the following is not a well known recurrent theme of Ancient Greek literature?
5. At the conclusion of the first hymn, how is Hermes described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hermes steal from Apollo and how does he do it?
2. What does Hermes do with the cattle, and how do his mother and Apollo respond?
3. What is Artemis's skill and how is it described?
4. What is one of the theories for why some of the hymns are so short?
5. How long ago was the collection of The Homeric Hymns formed, and how many songs were compiled?
6. How does the poet explain Hera's power?
7. What is the argument between the helmsman and the captain that is described in The Hymn to Dionysus?
8. Why do some historians think that Homer did not actually write his poems?
9. What is different about the way The Hymn to Ares begins and what is Ares known for?
10. How is Artemis's beauty portrayed in The Second Hymn to Artemis.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)