|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of voice does the author ask Ares to help him restore?
(a) A shrill voice.
(b) A chilling voice.
(c) A relentless voice.
(d) A loud voice.
2. What type of leaves appear as the boat continues to sail while holding Dionysus?
(a) Plant and flower leaves.
(b) Plant leaves.
(c) Vine leaves.
(d) Vine and flower leaves.
3. Who is the other major composer of early Greek poetry that is mentioned in the Introduction?
4. Where does Herakles eventually live?
(d) Mount Olympus.
5. What talent of Apollo is described in the first Hymn to Hermes?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many songs are used to compose the Homeric Hymns?
2. How does the poet describe the laws of peace that he wishes to linger in at the end of The Hymn to Ares?
3. According to The Hymn to Pan, what animal makes up the lower half of Pan, who is known for nature and wild music?
4. How is Herakles described in the hymn?
5. What is the purpose of the first hymn to Artemis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hermes invent the lyre?
2. Where is Dionysus captured in The Hymn to Dionysus?
3. How is Artemis's beauty portrayed in The Second Hymn to Artemis.
4. Based on the story in The Third Hymn to Dionysus, why is Dionysus hidden as a child?
5. What are the circumstances surrounding Pan's birth and how is he described in The Hymn to Pan?
6. What is the argument between the helmsman and the captain that is described in The Hymn to Dionysus?
7. What is one of the theories for why some of the hymns are so short?
8. What is Herakles known for and what prayer does the poet make at the conclusion of The Hymn to Herakles?
9. As explained in the Introduction, what is the purpose of The Homeric Hymns?
10. What is unique about the length of The Hymn to Hermes and what is Hermes known for?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)