|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
2. Whose child does Demeter attempt to make immortal?
3. Which one of Athena's attributes is the subject of the final Hymn to Athena?
4. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon?
(a) The Muses.
(b) The Harpies.
(c) The Sirens.
(d) The Nymphs.
5. Which one of the following was Poseidon also known for?
6. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
(a) Ugly, but not deformed.
(b) Ugly and deformed.
(c) Neither ugly nor deformed.
(d) Deformed, but not ugly.
7. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
(a) He is a scupltor.
(b) He is a painter.
(c) He is a blacksmith.
(d) He is a carpenter.
8. In the poet's prayer at the conclusion of The Hymn to the Sun, what does he hope that his life will satisfy?
(a) His curiosity.
(b) His mind.
(c) His desire.
(d) His heart.
9. Based on the information provided in The Hymns to the Dioscuri, who do Castor and Pollux protect?
10. What does the poem in The Third Hymn to Aphrodite describe?
(a) Aphrodite's friends.
(b) Aphrodite's seductive power.
(c) Aphrodite's intelligence.
(d) Aphrodite's influences.
11. According to Aphrodite, what will the child she has with Anchises grow to become?
(a) A great warrior.
(b) A great philosopher.
(c) A great writer.
(d) A great poet.
12. After Demeter abandons the attempt to make the child immortal, what kind of existence does she have?
13. Which disguise does Demeter use in the hymn?
(a) A bird.
(b) An old woman.
(c) A bright light.
(d) A star.
14. What is another word that depicts the form of art that Athena is associated with?
15. Based on the hymn, how did the men that Hephaistos represents live?
(b) Like animals.
(c) In poverty.
(d) Like servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hades's nickname?
2. According to the myth, where was Athena born?
3. According to the hymn, what does Hephaistos do for the men he represents?
4. What does Anchises ask Aphrodite for after he learns her identity?
5. According to the hymn, how does Demeter try to make a child immortal?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)