|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As stated in the hymn, which King welcomes Demeter into his home?
2. Which one of the following is not something that Demeter is known for?
3. In the story, how does Aphrodite disguise herself in order to get close to Anchises?
(a) As a girl that Anchises once knew.
(b) As a mortal girl.
(c) As a girl that Anchises knows.
(d) As another goddess.
4. What characteristic does the hymn point out about Hephaistos?
(a) His persuasiveness.
(b) His persistence.
(c) His cautiousness.
(d) His cleverness.
5. Which one of the following is a term used by the poet to characterize Zeus?
(a) The greatest.
(b) The incomparable.
(c) The original.
(d) The best.
6. What do all of the hymns in this section (The Hymn to Hephaistos, The Hymn to Poseidon, The Hymn to Zeus, and The Hymn to the Muses) have in common?
(a) They are all long.
(b) They are all based on Homer's experiences.
(c) They are all brief.
(d) They are all preludes to other hymns.
7. According to the hymn, how does Demeter try to make a child immortal?
(a) By holding him over a fire.
(b) By dipping his feet in water.
(c) By rubbing his feet.
(d) By resting him on a cloud.
8. Which fruit's seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
9. What is the general tone of The Hymn to Zeus?
10. When is Anchises bewitched by Aphrodite's beauty?
(b) Three days after they meet.
(c) One week after they meet.
(d) Two days after they meet.
11. How is Hestia's presence described in the Hymns to Hestia?
12. Which one of the following is not included by the poet in the list of people that the Muses favor?
13. Who is Athena's father?
14. Which one of the following was Poseidon also known for?
15. Based on the information provided in their hymn, what do the Muses influence?
(a) Music, dance, and poetry, but not history.
(b) Music, history, and poetry, but not dance.
(c) Music, history, dance, and poetry.
(d) Music, and dance, but not poetry or history.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anchises pray for after meeting Aphrodite?
2. What power does The Hymn to Poseidon discuss?
3. Which disguise does Demeter use in the hymn?
4. Who reportedly witnessed the birth of Athena?
5. Based on the hymn, how did the men that Hephaistos represents live?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)