|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the information provided in their hymn, what do the Muses influence?
(a) Music, and dance, but not poetry or history.
(b) Music, dance, and poetry, but not history.
(c) Music, history, and poetry, but not dance.
(d) Music, history, dance, and poetry.
2. What is Hades's nickname?
(a) Ruler of the Dead.
(b) Lord of the Unliving.
(c) Lord of the Dead.
(d) Ruler of the Unliving.
3. In The Hymn to Aphrodite, what job does Anchises have?
(a) He is a cowherd.
(b) He is a poet.
(c) He is a soldier.
(d) He is a sheepherder.
4. How many mythic stories are combined in The Hymn to Demeter?
5. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
(a) With fear.
(b) With laughter.
(c) With sadness.
(d) With silence.
6. Based on the hymn, how many goddesses are there that Aphrodite cannot influence?
7. Which one of Athena's attributes is the subject of the final Hymn to Athena?
8. What does the poet ask to be blessed with at the conclusion of the final Hymn to Athena?
(a) Happiness and fortune.
(b) Good luck and wealth.
(c) Good luck and happiness.
(d) Happiness and knowledge.
9. Who reportedly witnessed the birth of Athena?
(a) Gods, men, and animals.
(b) Men and animals, but not gods.
(c) Gods and animals, but not men.
(d) Gods and men.
10. According to the hymn, how does Demeter try to make a child immortal?
(a) By dipping his feet in water.
(b) By holding him over a fire.
(c) By rubbing his feet.
(d) By resting him on a cloud.
11. Which one of the following is not included by the poet in the list of people that the Muses favor?
12. What does Anchises ask Aphrodite for after he learns her identity?
13. How is Demeter's wandering described as she searches for her daughter?
14. Whose knowledge is related to the Muses, according to the poet in The Hymn to the Muses?
15. Which one of the following is Athena known for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last command that Aphrodite has for Anchises?
2. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
3. Based on the information provided in The Hymns to the Dioscuri, who do Castor and Pollux protect?
4. According to Aphrodite, what will the child she has with Anchises grow to become?
5. Who does Zeus send to free Demeter's daughter?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)