|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characteristic does the hymn point out about Hephaistos?
(a) His persistence.
(b) His cautiousness.
(c) His persuasiveness.
(d) His cleverness.
2. Based on the information provided in The Hymns to the Dioscuri, who do Castor and Pollux protect?
3. Who is Demeter's daughter?
4. What does Anchises pray for after meeting Aphrodite?
(a) That she will introduce him to Zeus.
(b) That she will leave him alone.
(c) That she is telling the truth.
(d) That she will give him powers.
5. What power does The Hymn to Poseidon discuss?
(a) The power of the winds.
(b) The power of sea creatures.
(c) The power of the sea.
(d) The power of the sea plants.
6. What is another word that depicts the form of art that Athena is associated with?
7. According to the poet of the hymns, who is responsible for Aphrodite's desire for mortal men?
8. How is Zeus described by the poet in The Hymn to Zeus?
(a) The most remembered of all.
(b) The most popular of all.
(c) The most famous of all.
(d) The strongest of all.
9. After Demeter abandons the attempt to make the child immortal, what kind of existence does she have?
10. Whose child does Demeter attempt to make immortal?
11. What metaphor is made to the sun's journey in The Hymn to the Sun?
(a) A golden chariot.
(b) A speeding star.
(c) A blazing fire.
(d) A ball of energy.
12. Based on the hymn, how many goddesses are there that Aphrodite cannot influence?
13. How does Aphrodite think that Aeneas will be treated by the gods?
(c) He will be ignored.
14. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
(a) With fear.
(b) With laughter.
(c) With sadness.
(d) With silence.
15. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
(a) He is terrified.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is amused.
(d) He is angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose knowledge is related to the Muses, according to the poet in The Hymn to the Muses?
2. Based on the hymn, how did the men that Hephaistos represents live?
3. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
4. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
5. What type of arts is Athena known for?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)