|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Zeus send to free Demeter's daughter?
2. When is Anchises bewitched by Aphrodite's beauty?
(a) One week after they meet.
(b) Two days after they meet.
(c) Three days after they meet.
3. How is Demeter's wandering described as she searches for her daughter?
4. Whose knowledge is related to the Muses, according to the poet in The Hymn to the Muses?
5. What is the general tone of The Hymn to Zeus?
6. What does Anchises ask Aphrodite for after he learns her identity?
7. In The Hymn to the Moon, what analogy is made to the moon?
(a) A bright wedge.
(b) A piece of cheese.
(c) A chariot.
(d) A shooting star.
8. As described by the poet, what kind of wings do Castor and Pollux use to shoot across the sky?
9. How does Aphrodite think that Aeneas will be treated by the gods?
(a) He will be ignored.
10. In the poet's prayer at the conclusion of The Hymn to the Sun, what does he hope that his life will satisfy?
(a) His mind.
(b) His desire.
(c) His curiosity.
(d) His heart.
11. Which one of the following is a term used by the poet to characterize Zeus?
(a) The best.
(b) The incomparable.
(c) The original.
(d) The greatest.
12. Whose child does Demeter attempt to make immortal?
13. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
(a) Neither ugly nor deformed.
(b) Deformed, but not ugly.
(c) Ugly and deformed.
(d) Ugly, but not deformed.
14. What prayer does the poet make in The Hymn to Poseidon?
(a) For good weather over the seas.
(b) For the safety of sailors and ships.
(c) For strong winds on the sails of ships.
(d) For the brief trips of sailors.
15. Which one of the following was Poseidon also known for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about The Hymn to the Sun?
2. After Demeter abandons the attempt to make the child immortal, what kind of existence does she have?
3. As explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite, how was Aphrodite born?
4. What do all of the hymns in this section (The Hymn to Hephaistos, The Hymn to Poseidon, The Hymn to Zeus, and The Hymn to the Muses) have in common?
5. According to the poet, what type of sign is the monthly occurrence of a full moon?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)