|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the information provided in The Hymns to the Dioscuri, who do Castor and Pollux protect?
2. Which one of the following is not included by the poet in the list of people that the Muses favor?
3. Which one of Athena's attributes is the subject of the final Hymn to Athena?
4. According to Aphrodite, what will the child she has with Anchises grow to become?
(a) A great warrior.
(b) A great writer.
(c) A great philosopher.
(d) A great poet.
5. What does Anchises do after his affair with Aphrodite?
(a) He says a prayer.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He sings a song.
6. In the hymn, how does the child's mother react to Demeter's attempt to make the child immortal?
(a) With gratitude.
(b) With fear.
(c) With laughter.
(d) With anger.
7. Who does the poet praise in The Second Hymn to Demeter?
(a) Neither Demeter nor her daughter.
(b) Demeter and her daughter.
(c) Only Demeter.
(d) Only Demeter's daughter.
8. How many hymns are there to Athena?
9. What type of arts is Athena known for?
10. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon?
(a) The Nymphs.
(b) The Harpies.
(c) The Sirens.
(d) The Muses.
11. Based on the information provided in their hymn, what do the Muses influence?
(a) Music, history, and poetry, but not dance.
(b) Music, and dance, but not poetry or history.
(c) Music, history, dance, and poetry.
(d) Music, dance, and poetry, but not history.
12. As explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite, how was Aphrodite born?
(a) From the center of a flower.
(b) From the rays of the sun.
(c) From the flames of a fire.
(d) From the foam of the sea.
13. How does the narrative of The Hymn to Aphrodite describe her preparations for approaching Anchises?
14. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
(a) Neither ugly nor deformed.
(b) Deformed, but not ugly.
(c) Ugly, but not deformed.
(d) Ugly and deformed.
15. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
(a) He is a carpenter.
(b) He is a painter.
(c) He is a blacksmith.
(d) He is a scupltor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose knowledge is related to the Muses, according to the poet in The Hymn to the Muses?
2. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
3. How many seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
4. Who does Zeus send to free Demeter's daughter?
5. Which fruit's seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)