|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the hymn, how many goddesses are there that Aphrodite cannot influence?
2. Where is Demeter's daughter taken when she is kidnapped?
(b) The underworld.
(c) A mountain.
(d) An island.
3. What metaphor is made to the sun's journey in The Hymn to the Sun?
(a) A ball of energy.
(b) A speeding star.
(c) A blazing fire.
(d) A golden chariot.
4. As explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite, how was Aphrodite born?
(a) From the rays of the sun.
(b) From the center of a flower.
(c) From the foam of the sea.
(d) From the flames of a fire.
5. Whose child does Demeter attempt to make immortal?
6. Based on the ancient myths, what is known to happen when mortals have affairs with immortals?
(a) It can lead to destruction.
(b) It can lead to tragedy.
(c) It can lead to confusion.
(d) It can lead to chaos.
7. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
(a) Deformed, but not ugly.
(b) Ugly and deformed.
(c) Neither ugly nor deformed.
(d) Ugly, but not deformed.
8. Which one of the following was Poseidon also known for?
9. What does the poet ask to be blessed with at the conclusion of the final Hymn to Athena?
(a) Good luck and wealth.
(b) Happiness and fortune.
(c) Good luck and happiness.
(d) Happiness and knowledge.
10. What name does the poet give to the moon?
11. What is the general tone of The Hymn to Zeus?
12. Who is Athena's father?
13. According to the poet of the hymns, who is responsible for Aphrodite's desire for mortal men?
14. How does Aphrodite think that Aeneas will be treated by the gods?
(c) He will be ignored.
15. Which manifestations of the sun are discussed in The Hymn to the Sun?
(a) Heat, light, and power.
(b) Heat and power.
(c) Light and power.
(d) Light and heat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prayer does the poet make in The Hymn to Poseidon?
2. How many mythic stories are combined in The Hymn to Demeter?
3. What is unique about The Hymn to the Sun?
4. In the story, how does Aphrodite disguise herself in order to get close to Anchises?
5. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)