|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anchises ask Aphrodite for after he learns her identity?
2. Which manifestations of the sun are discussed in The Hymn to the Sun?
(a) Light and heat.
(b) Heat, light, and power.
(c) Heat and power.
(d) Light and power.
3. Which fruit's seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
4. Whose origin does The Hymn to the Sun describe?
5. How many seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
6. As explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite, how was Aphrodite born?
(a) From the flames of a fire.
(b) From the center of a flower.
(c) From the foam of the sea.
(d) From the rays of the sun.
7. Who does the poet praise in The Second Hymn to Demeter?
(a) Only Demeter's daughter.
(b) Demeter and her daughter.
(c) Only Demeter.
(d) Neither Demeter nor her daughter.
8. Which one of Athena's attributes is the subject of the final Hymn to Athena?
9. Whose knowledge is related to the Muses, according to the poet in The Hymn to the Muses?
10. Based on the information provided in their hymn, what do the Muses influence?
(a) Music, history, dance, and poetry.
(b) Music, and dance, but not poetry or history.
(c) Music, dance, and poetry, but not history.
(d) Music, history, and poetry, but not dance.
11. As explained in The Hymn to the Muses, which of the following's work are related to the Muses?
12. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
13. What is the last command that Aphrodite has for Anchises?
(a) To find a woman to marry.
(b) To begin preparing to raise their son.
(c) To tell everyone about her visit.
(d) To remain silent about her visit.
14. What prayer does the poet make in The Hymn to Poseidon?
(a) For good weather over the seas.
(b) For strong winds on the sails of ships.
(c) For the safety of sailors and ships.
(d) For the brief trips of sailors.
15. What is Hades's nickname?
(a) Ruler of the Unliving.
(b) Lord of the Unliving.
(c) Lord of the Dead.
(d) Ruler of the Dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the hymn, what does Hephaistos do for the men he represents?
2. Who reportedly witnessed the birth of Athena?
3. After Demeter abandons the attempt to make the child immortal, what kind of existence does she have?
4. According to the poet, what type of sign is the monthly occurrence of a full moon?
5. How many hymns are there to Athena?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)