|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose house does the poet mention at the end of The Second Hymn to Hestia because it is blessed by Hestia?
2. Who is Demeter's daughter?
3. Which one of the following was Poseidon also known for?
4. Where is Demeter's daughter taken when she is kidnapped?
(b) The underworld.
(c) An island.
(d) A mountain.
5. Based on the information provided in their hymn, what do the Muses influence?
(a) Music, history, and poetry, but not dance.
(b) Music, dance, and poetry, but not history.
(c) Music, and dance, but not poetry or history.
(d) Music, history, dance, and poetry.
6. What characteristic does the hymn point out about Hephaistos?
(a) His persuasiveness.
(b) His persistence.
(c) His cleverness.
(d) His cautiousness.
7. How many mythic stories are combined in The Hymn to Demeter?
8. According to the hymn, how does Demeter try to make a child immortal?
(a) By holding him over a fire.
(b) By dipping his feet in water.
(c) By resting him on a cloud.
(d) By rubbing his feet.
9. Whose child does Demeter attempt to make immortal?
10. How is Hestia's presence described in the Hymns to Hestia?
11. Based on the hymn, how did the men that Hephaistos represents live?
(a) In poverty.
(b) Like servants.
(d) Like animals.
12. How many hymns are there to Athena?
13. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
14. Whose origin does The Hymn to the Sun describe?
15. What type of arts is Athena known for?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Demeter's wandering described as she searches for her daughter?
2. What does The Hymn to Zeus mainly focus on?
3. According to Aphrodite, what will the child she has with Anchises grow to become?
4. What suffers as a result of Demeter's quest to find her daughter?
5. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)