|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story, how does Aphrodite disguise herself in order to get close to Anchises?
(a) As a girl that Anchises once knew.
(b) As a mortal girl.
(c) As another goddess.
(d) As a girl that Anchises knows.
2. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
(a) He is a blacksmith.
(b) He is a carpenter.
(c) He is a scupltor.
(d) He is a painter.
3. What type of arts is Athena known for?
4. What does Anchises pray for after meeting Aphrodite?
(a) That she will introduce him to Zeus.
(b) That she is telling the truth.
(c) That she will give him powers.
(d) That she will leave him alone.
5. Which disguise does Demeter use in the hymn?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A bird.
(c) A star.
(d) A bright light.
6. According to the poet, what type of sign is the monthly occurrence of a full moon?
(a) A troubling sign.
(b) A sign for help.
(c) An assurance.
(d) A confirmation.
7. Based on the information provided in their hymn, what do the Muses influence?
(a) Music, history, and poetry, but not dance.
(b) Music, dance, and poetry, but not history.
(c) Music, history, dance, and poetry.
(d) Music, and dance, but not poetry or history.
8. In The Hymn to Aphrodite, what job does Anchises have?
(a) He is a sheepherder.
(b) He is a poet.
(c) He is a cowherd.
(d) He is a soldier.
9. Who reportedly witnessed the birth of Athena?
(a) Gods and animals, but not men.
(b) Men and animals, but not gods.
(c) Gods, men, and animals.
(d) Gods and men.
10. Based on the hymn, how did the men that Hephaistos represents live?
(a) Like animals.
(b) Like servants.
(c) In poverty.
11. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is terrified.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is amused.
12. As stated in The Hymn to Aphrodite, what is Athena known for?
13. How is Zeus described by the poet in The Hymn to Zeus?
(a) The most remembered of all.
(b) The most famous of all.
(c) The strongest of all.
(d) The most popular of all.
14. How many mythic stories are combined in The Hymn to Demeter?
15. Which one of Athena's attributes is the subject of the final Hymn to Athena?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zeus send to free Demeter's daughter?
2. Which one of the following is Athena known for?
3. How is Hestia's presence described in the Hymns to Hestia?
4. Whose knowledge is related to the Muses, according to the poet in The Hymn to the Muses?
5. What does Anchises ask Aphrodite for after he learns her identity?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)