|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
2. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
3. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon?
(a) The Harpies.
(b) The Sirens.
(c) The Muses.
(d) The Nymphs.
4. What do all of the hymns in this section (The Hymn to Hephaistos, The Hymn to Poseidon, The Hymn to Zeus, and The Hymn to the Muses) have in common?
(a) They are all brief.
(b) They are all based on Homer's experiences.
(c) They are all long.
(d) They are all preludes to other hymns.
5. When is Anchises bewitched by Aphrodite's beauty?
(b) Three days after they meet.
(c) Two days after they meet.
(d) One week after they meet.
6. After Demeter abandons the attempt to make the child immortal, what kind of existence does she have?
7. How is Hades first described in The Hymn to Demeter?
(a) He who receives so many.
(b) He who takes what is not theirs.
(c) He who takes from the Earth.
(d) He who receives so few.
8. What type of arts is Athena known for?
9. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
(a) With silence.
(b) With fear.
(c) With laughter.
(d) With sadness.
10. According to the hymn, what does Hephaistos do for the men he represents?
(a) He makes their work easier, but still not widely accepted.
(b) He has no effect on them.
(c) He makes their work easier and more widely accepted.
(d) He makes their work widely accepted, but not easier.
11. What does Anchises ask Aphrodite for after he learns her identity?
12. When does Aphrodite say that Aeneas, the child she has with Anchises, will be able to return to earth?
(a) When he is ten years old.
(b) When he is one year old.
(c) When he is eight years old.
(d) When he is five years old.
13. Which manifestations of the sun are discussed in The Hymn to the Sun?
(a) Heat, light, and power.
(b) Heat and power.
(c) Light and heat.
(d) Light and power.
14. How is Hestia's presence described in the Hymns to Hestia?
15. Who is Athena's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the hymn, how does the child's mother react to Demeter's attempt to make the child immortal?
2. According to the myth, where was Athena born?
3. As explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite, how was Aphrodite born?
4. What is the last command that Aphrodite has for Anchises?
5. Whose knowledge is related to the Muses, according to the poet in The Hymn to the Muses?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)