|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Hestia's presence described in the Hymns to Hestia?
2. How is Demeter's wandering described as she searches for her daughter?
3. What does Anchises pray for after meeting Aphrodite?
(a) That she will introduce him to Zeus.
(b) That she will leave him alone.
(c) That she will give him powers.
(d) That she is telling the truth.
4. According to the poet, what type of sign is the monthly occurrence of a full moon?
(a) An assurance.
(b) A confirmation.
(c) A sign for help.
(d) A troubling sign.
5. What is the last command that Aphrodite has for Anchises?
(a) To find a woman to marry.
(b) To begin preparing to raise their son.
(c) To remain silent about her visit.
(d) To tell everyone about her visit.
6. Who does Zeus send to free Demeter's daughter?
7. How is Hades first described in The Hymn to Demeter?
(a) He who receives so few.
(b) He who receives so many.
(c) He who takes what is not theirs.
(d) He who takes from the Earth.
8. What does the poet ask to be blessed with at the conclusion of the final Hymn to Athena?
(a) Happiness and knowledge.
(b) Good luck and happiness.
(c) Happiness and fortune.
(d) Good luck and wealth.
9. Which one of the following is a term used by the poet to characterize Zeus?
(a) The original.
(b) The greatest.
(c) The incomparable.
(d) The best.
10. Who reportedly witnessed the birth of Athena?
(a) Gods and men.
(b) Men and animals, but not gods.
(c) Gods and animals, but not men.
(d) Gods, men, and animals.
11. What is unique about The Hymn to the Sun?
(a) It is the last hymn that Homer is believed to have written.
(b) It does not mention the name of the god it refers to.
(c) It is half the length of the longest hymn.
(d) It does not mention the sun at all.
12. How many mythic stories are combined in The Hymn to Demeter?
13. As explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite, how was Aphrodite born?
(a) From the rays of the sun.
(b) From the flames of a fire.
(c) From the foam of the sea.
(d) From the center of a flower.
14. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
(a) He is amused.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is terrified.
15. What does the poem in The Third Hymn to Aphrodite describe?
(a) Aphrodite's influences.
(b) Aphrodite's seductive power.
(c) Aphrodite's friends.
(d) Aphrodite's intelligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. As stated in the hymn, which King welcomes Demeter into his home?
2. What is the general tone of The Hymn to Zeus?
3. In the story, how does Aphrodite disguise herself in order to get close to Anchises?
4. What is Hades's nickname?
5. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)