|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
(a) Neither ugly nor deformed.
(b) Deformed, but not ugly.
(c) Ugly, but not deformed.
(d) Ugly and deformed.
2. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
3. Where did the men live that Hephaistos represents in the hymn?
(a) In shacks.
(b) On boats.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) In caves.
4. According to the hymn, how does Demeter try to make a child immortal?
(a) By resting him on a cloud.
(b) By dipping his feet in water.
(c) By holding him over a fire.
(d) By rubbing his feet.
5. What does Anchises pray for after meeting Aphrodite?
(a) That she will leave him alone.
(b) That she is telling the truth.
(c) That she will give him powers.
(d) That she will introduce him to Zeus.
6. According to the hymn, what does Hephaistos do for the men he represents?
(a) He makes their work easier, but still not widely accepted.
(b) He has no effect on them.
(c) He makes their work widely accepted, but not easier.
(d) He makes their work easier and more widely accepted.
7. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon?
(a) The Muses.
(b) The Nymphs.
(c) The Harpies.
(d) The Sirens.
8. How is Hades first described in The Hymn to Demeter?
(a) He who receives so few.
(b) He who receives so many.
(c) He who takes what is not theirs.
(d) He who takes from the Earth.
9. Whose knowledge is related to the Muses, according to the poet in The Hymn to the Muses?
10. Who reportedly witnessed the birth of Athena?
(a) Gods and men.
(b) Gods and animals, but not men.
(c) Gods, men, and animals.
(d) Men and animals, but not gods.
11. How is Hestia's presence described in the Hymns to Hestia?
12. What metaphor is made to the sun's journey in The Hymn to the Sun?
(a) A speeding star.
(b) A blazing fire.
(c) A ball of energy.
(d) A golden chariot.
13. What is the last command that Aphrodite has for Anchises?
(a) To remain silent about her visit.
(b) To find a woman to marry.
(c) To begin preparing to raise their son.
(d) To tell everyone about her visit.
14. Which manifestations of the sun are discussed in The Hymn to the Sun?
(a) Heat and power.
(b) Light and power.
(c) Light and heat.
(d) Heat, light, and power.
15. What is Hades's nickname?
(a) Lord of the Unliving.
(b) Ruler of the Dead.
(c) Lord of the Dead.
(d) Ruler of the Unliving.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which fruit's seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
2. In the poet's prayer at the conclusion of The Hymn to the Sun, what does he hope that his life will satisfy?
3. Who does the poet praise in The Second Hymn to Demeter?
4. How does Aphrodite think that Aeneas will be treated by the gods?
5. Which disguise does Demeter use in the hymn?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)