|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As described by the poet, what kind of wings do Castor and Pollux use to shoot across the sky?
2. In the story, how does Aphrodite disguise herself in order to get close to Anchises?
(a) As a mortal girl.
(b) As a girl that Anchises knows.
(c) As a girl that Anchises once knew.
(d) As another goddess.
3. As stated in the hymn, which King welcomes Demeter into his home?
4. What does Anchises ask Aphrodite for after he learns her identity?
5. Where is Demeter's daughter taken when she is kidnapped?
(a) An island.
(b) The underworld.
(c) A mountain.
6. What type of arts is Athena known for?
7. How many seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
8. According to Aphrodite, what will the child she has with Anchises grow to become?
(a) A great philosopher.
(b) A great warrior.
(c) A great writer.
(d) A great poet.
9. How is Hestia's presence described in the Hymns to Hestia?
10. How does the narrative of The Hymn to Aphrodite describe her preparations for approaching Anchises?
11. Which one of the following is Athena known for?
12. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
(a) With sadness.
(b) With fear.
(c) With laughter.
(d) With silence.
13. Which one of Athena's attributes is the subject of the final Hymn to Athena?
14. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
(a) Deformed, but not ugly.
(b) Ugly, but not deformed.
(c) Neither ugly nor deformed.
(d) Ugly and deformed.
15. In the hymn, how does the child's mother react to Demeter's attempt to make the child immortal?
(a) With laughter.
(b) With gratitude.
(c) With fear.
(d) With anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zeus send to free Demeter's daughter?
2. In The Hymn to the Moon, what analogy is made to the moon?
3. How is Zeus described by the poet in The Hymn to Zeus?
4. What is another word that depicts the form of art that Athena is associated with?
5. Based on the information provided in their hymn, what do the Muses influence?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)