|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Demeter abandons the attempt to make the child immortal, what kind of existence does she have?
2. What power does The Hymn to Poseidon discuss?
(a) The power of the sea plants.
(b) The power of the sea.
(c) The power of the winds.
(d) The power of sea creatures.
3. How many hymns are there to Athena?
4. Whose house does the poet mention at the end of The Second Hymn to Hestia because it is blessed by Hestia?
5. Which one of the following is not included by the poet in the list of people that the Muses favor?
6. Who reportedly witnessed the birth of Athena?
(a) Gods, men, and animals.
(b) Men and animals, but not gods.
(c) Gods and animals, but not men.
(d) Gods and men.
7. Which disguise does Demeter use in the hymn?
(a) A bright light.
(b) A bird.
(c) A star.
(d) An old woman.
8. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
(a) With sadness.
(b) With laughter.
(c) With silence.
(d) With fear.
9. Where is Demeter's daughter taken when she is kidnapped?
(a) The underworld.
(b) A mountain.
(d) An island.
10. How is Zeus described by the poet in The Hymn to Zeus?
(a) The most remembered of all.
(b) The most popular of all.
(c) The strongest of all.
(d) The most famous of all.
11. According to Aphrodite, what will the child she has with Anchises grow to become?
(a) A great philosopher.
(b) A great warrior.
(c) A great writer.
(d) A great poet.
12. Which fruit's seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
13. What is another word that depicts the form of art that Athena is associated with?
14. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon?
(a) The Muses.
(b) The Nymphs.
(c) The Harpies.
(d) The Sirens.
15. Based on the information provided in their hymn, what do the Muses influence?
(a) Music, history, dance, and poetry.
(b) Music, and dance, but not poetry or history.
(c) Music, dance, and poetry, but not history.
(d) Music, history, and poetry, but not dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
2. Which one of the following is Athena known for?
3. Which one of the following is a term used by the poet to characterize Zeus?
4. What does Anchises do after his affair with Aphrodite?
5. What name does the poet give to the moon?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)