|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Aphrodite, what will the child she has with Anchises grow to become?
(a) A great writer.
(b) A great poet.
(c) A great warrior.
(d) A great philosopher.
2. Who reportedly witnessed the birth of Athena?
(a) Gods and animals, but not men.
(b) Men and animals, but not gods.
(c) Gods and men.
(d) Gods, men, and animals.
3. What characteristic does the hymn point out about Hephaistos?
(a) His cleverness.
(b) His cautiousness.
(c) His persuasiveness.
(d) His persistence.
4. In the story, how does Aphrodite disguise herself in order to get close to Anchises?
(a) As another goddess.
(b) As a girl that Anchises once knew.
(c) As a mortal girl.
(d) As a girl that Anchises knows.
5. Which one of Athena's attributes is the subject of the final Hymn to Athena?
6. How many hymns are there to Athena?
7. As explained in The Hymn to the Muses, which of the following's work are related to the Muses?
8. How is Hestia's presence described in the Hymns to Hestia?
9. How is Hades first described in The Hymn to Demeter?
(a) He who takes from the Earth.
(b) He who receives so few.
(c) He who receives so many.
(d) He who takes what is not theirs.
10. When is Anchises bewitched by Aphrodite's beauty?
(b) Three days after they meet.
(c) One week after they meet.
(d) Two days after they meet.
11. How many seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
12. Whose child does Demeter attempt to make immortal?
13. Who is Demeter's daughter?
14. In The Hymn to Aphrodite, what job does Anchises have?
(a) He is a sheepherder.
(b) He is a soldier.
(c) He is a cowherd.
(d) He is a poet.
15. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
(a) With fear.
(b) With silence.
(c) With laughter.
(d) With sadness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
2. Based on the ancient myths, what is known to happen when mortals have affairs with immortals?
3. What job did Hephaistos have, according to the hymn?
4. Based on the information provided in The Hymns to the Dioscuri, who do Castor and Pollux protect?
5. What does the poem in The Third Hymn to Aphrodite describe?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)