|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the hymn, how does Demeter try to make a child immortal?
(a) By rubbing his feet.
(b) By resting him on a cloud.
(c) By dipping his feet in water.
(d) By holding him over a fire.
2. Whose knowledge is related to the Muses, according to the poet in The Hymn to the Muses?
3. Based on the information provided in The Hymns to the Dioscuri, who do Castor and Pollux protect?
4. In the hymn, how does the child's mother react to Demeter's attempt to make the child immortal?
(a) With fear.
(b) With gratitude.
(c) With anger.
(d) With laughter.
5. How is Hephaistos described in The Hymn to Hephaistos?
(a) Ugly, but not deformed.
(b) Ugly and deformed.
(c) Neither ugly nor deformed.
(d) Deformed, but not ugly.
6. How many mythic stories are combined in The Hymn to Demeter?
7. How is Hades first described in The Hymn to Demeter?
(a) He who receives so many.
(b) He who receives so few.
(c) He who takes from the Earth.
(d) He who takes what is not theirs.
8. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
(a) With laughter.
(b) With sadness.
(c) With fear.
(d) With silence.
9. Which fruit's seeds does Demeter's daughter eat before returning?
10. What metaphor is made to the sun's journey in The Hymn to the Sun?
(a) A speeding star.
(b) A ball of energy.
(c) A blazing fire.
(d) A golden chariot.
11. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
12. Who reportedly witnessed the birth of Athena?
(a) Gods and men.
(b) Men and animals, but not gods.
(c) Gods, men, and animals.
(d) Gods and animals, but not men.
13. After Demeter abandons the attempt to make the child immortal, what kind of existence does she have?
14. What does Anchises do after his affair with Aphrodite?
(a) He sings a song.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He says a prayer.
15. Whose origin does The Hymn to the Sun describe?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who assists the poet in the beginning of The Hymn to the Moon?
2. Which one of the following is not something that Demeter is known for?
3. As stated in the hymn, which King welcomes Demeter into his home?
4. What characteristic does the hymn point out about Hephaistos?
5. Which one of Athena's attributes is the subject of the final Hymn to Athena?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)