|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In The Hymn to the Moon, what analogy is made to the moon?
(a) A shooting star.
(b) A piece of cheese.
(c) A chariot.
(d) A bright wedge.
2. How is Zeus described by the poet in The Hymn to Zeus?
(a) The strongest of all.
(b) The most popular of all.
(c) The most famous of all.
(d) The most remembered of all.
3. What is unique about The Hymn to the Sun?
(a) It is the last hymn that Homer is believed to have written.
(b) It does not mention the sun at all.
(c) It is half the length of the longest hymn.
(d) It does not mention the name of the god it refers to.
4. Which manifestations of the sun are discussed in The Hymn to the Sun?
(a) Light and heat.
(b) Heat and power.
(c) Heat, light, and power.
(d) Light and power.
5. Who does the poet praise in The Second Hymn to Demeter?
(a) Demeter and her daughter.
(b) Only Demeter.
(c) Neither Demeter nor her daughter.
(d) Only Demeter's daughter.
6. As explained in The Second Hymn to Aphrodite, how was Aphrodite born?
(a) From the foam of the sea.
(b) From the center of a flower.
(c) From the flames of a fire.
(d) From the rays of the sun.
7. Based on the hymn, how did the men that Hephaistos represents live?
(a) Like animals.
(b) In poverty.
(d) Like servants.
8. According to the poet of the hymns, who is responsible for Aphrodite's desire for mortal men?
9. How many mythic stories are combined in The Hymn to Demeter?
10. When is Anchises bewitched by Aphrodite's beauty?
(a) One week after they meet.
(b) Three days after they meet.
(d) Two days after they meet.
11. How does Aphrodite think that Aeneas will be treated by the gods?
(a) He will be ignored.
12. Who is Athena's father?
13. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
(a) He is amused.
(b) He is terrified.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is angry.
14. Which one of the following is a term used by the poet to characterize Zeus?
(a) The original.
(b) The best.
(c) The incomparable.
(d) The greatest.
15. What does the poet ask to be blessed with at the conclusion of the final Hymn to Athena?
(a) Good luck and wealth.
(b) Good luck and happiness.
(c) Happiness and fortune.
(d) Happiness and knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prayer does the poet make in The Hymn to Poseidon?
2. Who does the moon apparently have an affair with, creating a daughter in the process?
3. What name does the poet give to the moon?
4. Who reportedly witnessed the birth of Athena?
5. What metaphor is made to the sun's journey in The Hymn to the Sun?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)