|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What century did the Ancient Greeks begin to use the alphabetic script?
2. What does the poet pray for at the end of The Hymn to Herakles?
(a) Excellence and wealth.
(b) Excellence and fortune.
(c) Excellence, fortune, and wealth.
(d) Fortune and wealth.
3. How is Artemis's skill described in the second hymn?
(a) Neither powerful nor remorseless.
(b) Powerful, but not remorseless.
(c) Powerful and remorseless.
(d) Remorseless, but not powerful.
4. Which one of the following is not included in the description of Hermes provided in The Second Hymn to Hermes?
(a) Dispenser of favors.
(d) Giver of good things.
5. Which argument does the poet describe in The Hymn to Dionysus?
(a) The argument between Dionysus and the captain.
(b) The argument between Dionysus and the helmsman.
(c) The argument between Dionysus, the helmsman, and the captain.
(d) The argument between the helmsman and the captain.
6. In what way does the author describe how Earth's blessings manifest themselves in females?
7. As mentioned in The Second Hymn to Hera, who offers the praises to her?
(a) Humans, animals, and nature.
(b) Animals and nature, but not humans.
(c) Humans and nature, but not animals.
(d) Humans and animals, but not nature.
8. What type of voice does the author ask Ares to help him restore?
(a) A loud voice.
(b) A shrill voice.
(c) A chilling voice.
(d) A relentless voice.
9. What is the voice that the author refers to in The Hymn to Ares provoking him to do?
(a) Retreat from battle.
(b) Enter battle.
(c) Write another poem.
(d) Write another song.
10. Who is the father of Hermes, according to the first Hymn?
11. How is the sailing ship that captures Dionysus described?
12. What does the helmsman of the boat recognize?
(a) That the boat was going off course.
(b) The holiness of the prisoner.
(c) That the boat was sinking.
(d) The danger that the crew is in.
13. In the poet's opinion, how do Earth's blessings manifest themselves in males?
14. How does The Hymn to Ares end?
(a) With a riddle.
(b) With a song.
(c) With a prayer.
(d) With a prediction.
15. Where does Herakles eventually live?
(b) Mount Olympus.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the opinion of the author, how does Hera's power compare to the influence of her husband?
2. What invocation to Dionysus ends the third hymn?
3. What way does the poet describe the manifestation of Earth's blessings in children?
4. In a tribute, which Greek historian attributes the "Hymn to Apollo" to Homer?
5. According to The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who is the father of Dionysus?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)