|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is believed to be Herakles's father?
2. How is Herakles described in the hymn?
(a) A great mythic hero.
(b) A great mythic warrior.
(c) A great mythic fighter.
(d) A great mythic figure.
3. As described in The Hymn to Asclepios, what is Asclepios known for?
4. As mentioned in The Second Hymn to Hera, who offers the praises to her?
(a) Humans and nature, but not animals.
(b) Humans and animals, but not nature.
(c) Animals and nature, but not humans.
(d) Humans, animals, and nature.
5. Which argument does the poet describe in The Hymn to Dionysus?
(a) The argument between Dionysus and the captain.
(b) The argument between Dionysus, the helmsman, and the captain.
(c) The argument between the helmsman and the captain.
(d) The argument between Dionysus and the helmsman.
6. As stated in the hymn, who does Ares lead?
(a) All just men.
(b) All loyal men.
(c) Most loyal men.
(d) Most just men.
7. In summarizing The Hymn to the Earth, what does the poet suggest follows the manifestation of Earth's blessings?
(a) Fortune and wealth.
(b) Health and wealth.
(c) Health, fortune, and wealth.
(d) Health and fortune.
8. What happens to the helmsman in The Hymn to Dionysus?
(a) He swims to safety on a nearby island.
(b) He is released by Dionysus on an island.
(c) He is richly rewarded.
(d) He is turned into a hawk.
9. What is the purpose of the first hymn to Artemis?
(a) To introduce the second one.
(b) To introduce Homer's knowledge of Artemis.
(c) To describe Artemis' shortcomings.
(d) To describe another god that Artemis emulated.
10. What does Dionysus turn the crew of the ship into?
11. Based on the information provided in The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who raises Dionysus?
12. What type of leaves appear as the boat continues to sail while holding Dionysus?
(a) Plant and flower leaves.
(b) Plant leaves.
(c) Vine leaves.
(d) Vine and flower leaves.
13. Who jumps overboard after Dionysus's transformation?
(a) The entire crew except for the helmsman.
(b) No one.
(c) The entire crew.
(d) The entire crew except for the captain.
14. Who is the father of Hermes, according to the first Hymn?
15. According to The Third Hymn to Dionysus, why is Dionysus raised in secrecy?
(a) To prevent him from discovering his parents.
(b) To teach him various skills.
(c) To protect his identity.
(d) To protect him from Hera.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the judgment that Hermes receives?
2. What does the poet pray for at the end of The Hymn to Herakles?
3. What does the first hymn to Hera praise her for?
4. How does the poet describe the cowardice he would like to "shake off" in The Hymn to Ares?
5. What is the length of the shortest hymn?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)