|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is believed to be Herakles's father?
2. Which one of the following epics was composed by Homer?
(a) Works and Days.
(d) The Odyssey.
3. At the conclusion of the first hymn, how is Hermes described?
(a) As neither a helper nor a cheater.
(b) As a cheater and a helper.
(c) As a cheater, but not a helper.
(d) As a helper, but not a cheater.
4. What does Dionysus turn the crew of the ship into?
5. What instrument is Artemis known for using?
(b) Her feet.
(d) Her voice.
6. Which one of the following is not included in the description of Hermes provided in The Second Hymn to Hermes?
(c) Dispenser of favors.
(d) Giver of good things.
7. As stated in the hymn, who does Ares lead?
(a) Most just men.
(b) Most loyal men.
(c) All just men.
(d) All loyal men.
8. In a tribute, which Greek historian attributes the "Hymn to Apollo" to Homer?
9. What animal does Dionysus turn into while on board the ship?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A bear.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A lion.
10. As mentioned in The Second Hymn to Hera, who offers the praises to her?
(a) Humans and nature, but not animals.
(b) Humans and animals, but not nature.
(c) Humans, animals, and nature.
(d) Animals and nature, but not humans.
11. Who is Hera's husband?
12. In The Hymn to the Earth, what does the poet refer to the Earth as?
(a) The mother of civilization.
(b) The guardian of civilization.
(c) The guardian of us all.
(d) The mother of us all.
13. What does Hermes use to enable him to fly as he disguises his theft?
14. Which one of the following is not a well known recurrent theme of Ancient Greek literature?
(a) Ignorance of the future.
(b) Ignorance of the past.
(c) The uncertainty of life.
(d) The inevitable nature of old age.
15. What does the poet ask Ares for?
Short Answer Questions
1. In The Hymn to Ares, what word is used to describe Ares's force?
2. How is Artemis's dancing described in the hymn?
3. What is the judgment that Hermes receives?
4. What is the length of the shortest hymn?
5. How does the first Hymn to Dionysus conclude?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)