|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the evidence presented in the Introduction, what are some of the hymns most likely a prelude for?
(a) A shorter poem.
(b) A longer poem.
(c) Another book by Homer.
(d) Another book by a different author.
2. Which one of the following is not included in the description of Hermes provided in The Second Hymn to Hermes?
(a) Giver of good things.
(c) Dispenser of favors.
3. What type of leaves appear as the boat continues to sail while holding Dionysus?
(a) Vine and flower leaves.
(b) Plant leaves.
(c) Vine leaves.
(d) Plant and flower leaves.
4. How is Hermes's defense described in the first hymn?
5. What century did the Ancient Greeks begin to use the alphabetic script?
6. What happens to the helmsman in The Hymn to Dionysus?
(a) He swims to safety on a nearby island.
(b) He is released by Dionysus on an island.
(c) He is turned into a hawk.
(d) He is richly rewarded.
7. What is the purpose of the first hymn to Artemis?
(a) To describe Artemis' shortcomings.
(b) To introduce Homer's knowledge of Artemis.
(c) To introduce the second one.
(d) To describe another god that Artemis emulated.
8. According to the most recent study included in the Introduction, what period are the longer hymns from?
9. Who is the other major composer of early Greek poetry that is mentioned in the Introduction?
10. How do historians think that the Homeric poems were composed?
(a) By writing.
(b) It is unclear.
(c) Both by writing and verbally.
11. How does the first Hymn to Dionysus conclude?
(a) With a question.
(b) With a praise.
(c) With a song.
(d) With a prediction.
12. Which god did the Homeridae feature in their preludes?
13. What is the difference between the first and second hymns to Artemis?
(a) The first hymn does not mention Artemis by name.
(b) The first hymn is not about Artemis.
(c) The first hymn is longer.
(d) The first hymn is shorter.
14. What does Apollo give to Hermes towards the end of the first hymn?
(a) A pair of shoes.
(b) A bow.
(c) A wand.
(d) A horse.
15. Who is believed to be Herakles's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is judging Hermes for his crimes?
2. In a tribute, which Greek historian attributes the "Hymn to Apollo" to Homer?
3. What is Artemis's skill?
4. What does Dionysus turn the crew of the ship into?
5. How is the sailing ship that captures Dionysus described?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)