|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is believed to be Herakles's father?
2. Which one of the following is not included in the description of Hermes provided in The Second Hymn to Hermes?
(a) Dispenser of favors.
(d) Giver of good things.
3. What way does the poet describe the manifestation of Earth's blessings in children?
4. What is the judgment that Hermes receives?
(a) He must return the stolen animals to Apollo.
(b) He can keep the stolen animals.
(c) He must grant Apollo three wishes.
(d) He must apologize to Apollo.
5. What is the difference between the first and second hymns to Artemis?
(a) The first hymn does not mention Artemis by name.
(b) The first hymn is not about Artemis.
(c) The first hymn is longer.
(d) The first hymn is shorter.
6. Who is the father of Hermes, according to the first Hymn?
7. What invocation to Dionysus ends the third hymn?
(a) Girl-crazy goat.
(b) Wild, noisy lion.
(c) Wild, noisy goat.
(d) Girl-crazy lion.
8. How is Hermes's defense described in the first hymn?
9. As used by the Greeks to describe The Homeric Hymns, what does the word, charis, mean?
10. Based on the findings of archaeologists, which centuries have a gap between them where no writings have been found?
(a) The eighth and second.
(b) The twelfth and seventh.
(c) The twelfth and ninth.
(d) The eighth and fourth.
11. According to The Third Hymn to Dionysus, why is Dionysus raised in secrecy?
(a) To protect him from Hera.
(b) To protect his identity.
(c) To prevent him from discovering his parents.
(d) To teach him various skills.
12. Which one of the following corresponds to an ancient tradition about Homer?
(a) He did not live in Ancient Rome or Greece.
(b) He spent most of his life alone.
(c) He was the creator of the Greek alphabet.
(d) He was blind.
13. Which one of the following is not something that Hermes was known as?
14. What does Dionysus turn the crew of the ship into?
15. What does the poet ask Ares for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the length of the shortest hymn?
2. In the poet's opinion, how do Earth's blessings manifest themselves in males?
3. Along with his feats of strength, which one of the following is also discussed in The Hymn to Herakles?
4. As stated in the hymn, who does Ares lead?
5. Who is judging Hermes for his crimes?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)