|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the most recent study included in the Introduction, what period are the longer hymns from?
2. How does the poet describe the cowardice he would like to "shake off" in The Hymn to Ares?
3. Which one of the following epics was composed by Homer?
(b) The Odyssey.
(c) Works and Days.
4. Which one of the following is not included in the description of Hermes provided in The Second Hymn to Hermes?
(a) Dispenser of favors.
(c) Giver of good things.
5. What does Apollo give to Hermes towards the end of the first hymn?
(a) A pair of shoes.
(b) A horse.
(c) A wand.
(d) A bow.
6. How does the first Hymn to Dionysus conclude?
(a) With a praise.
(b) With a prediction.
(c) With a song.
(d) With a question.
7. What type of leaves appear as the boat continues to sail while holding Dionysus?
(a) Plant leaves.
(b) Plant and flower leaves.
(c) Vine leaves.
(d) Vine and flower leaves.
8. Who is the other major composer of early Greek poetry that is mentioned in the Introduction?
9. Along with his feats of strength, which one of the following is also discussed in The Hymn to Herakles?
(a) His philosophy.
(b) His intelligence.
(c) His rivalries.
(d) His wandering.
10. In the first Hymn to Hermes, where is Hermes judged for his crimes?
(a) Mount Olympus.
(d) Mount Athos.
11. What was the syallabic script used by the Greeks in the late Bronze Age?
(a) Linear B.
(b) Linear D.
(c) Linear A.
(d) Linear C.
12. What happens to the helmsman in The Hymn to Dionysus?
(a) He is released by Dionysus on an island.
(b) He is turned into a hawk.
(c) He swims to safety on a nearby island.
(d) He is richly rewarded.
13. What fifth-century poet is mentioned in the Introduction in reference to a description of the Homeridae?
14. What does Hermes use to enable him to fly as he disguises his theft?
15. Who is Hera's husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does The Hymn to Dionysus begin?
2. What name is Herakles also known as?
3. What is the judgment that Hermes receives?
4. As stated in the hymn, who does Ares lead?
5. In The Hymn to Ares, what word is used to describe Ares's force?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)