|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What meter are the hymns composed in?
2. How is Artemis's skill described in the second hymn?
(a) Neither powerful nor remorseless.
(b) Powerful and remorseless.
(c) Powerful, but not remorseless.
(d) Remorseless, but not powerful.
3. What is the judgment that Hermes receives?
(a) He must grant Apollo three wishes.
(b) He must apologize to Apollo.
(c) He can keep the stolen animals.
(d) He must return the stolen animals to Apollo.
4. What is the length of the shortest hymn?
(a) Three paragraphs.
(b) Three lines.
(c) Two paragraphs.
(d) Two lines.
5. How is Artemis's dancing described in the hymn?
6. What does the first hymn to Hera praise her for?
(a) Her eminence and mercifulness.
(b) Her eminence and glory.
(c) Her mercifulness and glory.
(d) Her eminence, mercifulness, and glory.
7. In the opinion of the author, how does Hera's power compare to the influence of her husband?
(a) It is equal.
(b) It is more powerful.
(c) It is less powerful.
(d) It is less powerful in some ways, and more powerful in other ways.
8. What does Hermes steal from Apollo?
(a) A herd of cattle.
(b) A group of horses.
(c) A group of oxen.
(d) A herd of sheep.
9. What happens to the helmsman in The Hymn to Dionysus?
(a) He is released by Dionysus on an island.
(b) He is richly rewarded.
(c) He is turned into a hawk.
(d) He swims to safety on a nearby island.
10. Based on the information provided in The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who raises Dionysus?
11. In the poet's opinion, how do Earth's blessings manifest themselves in males?
12. Who is the other major composer of early Greek poetry that is mentioned in the Introduction?
13. What is the voice that the author refers to in The Hymn to Ares provoking him to do?
(a) Enter battle.
(b) Write another song.
(c) Retreat from battle.
(d) Write another poem.
14. What is the Earth praised for in the first hymn?
(a) Her strength.
(b) Her commitment.
(c) Her loyalty.
(d) Her sacredness.
15. Who is believed to be Herakles's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of voice does the author ask Ares to help him restore?
2. In what way does Hermes's mother respond to Hermes' stealing activities?
3. In the first Hymn to Hermes, where is Hermes judged for his crimes?
4. How does The Hymn to Ares end?
5. What does the poet ask Ares for?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)