|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of armor does Ares have, according to the poet?
2. What does the helmsman of the boat recognize?
(a) That the boat was sinking.
(b) The holiness of the prisoner.
(c) The danger that the crew is in.
(d) That the boat was going off course.
3. Which one of the following epics was composed by Homer?
(c) The Odyssey.
(d) Works and Days.
4. How is the sailing ship that captures Dionysus described?
5. In the first Hymn to Hermes, where is Hermes judged for his crimes?
(c) Mount Olympus.
(d) Mount Athos.
6. As described in The Hymn to Asclepios, what is Asclepios known for?
7. Which argument does the poet describe in The Hymn to Dionysus?
(a) The argument between the helmsman and the captain.
(b) The argument between Dionysus and the captain.
(c) The argument between Dionysus, the helmsman, and the captain.
(d) The argument between Dionysus and the helmsman.
8. What is the length of the shortest hymn?
(a) Two paragraphs.
(b) Two lines.
(c) Three lines.
(d) Three paragraphs.
9. Which one of the following is not something that Hermes was known as?
10. What does the poet ask Ares for?
11. How is Hermes's defense described in the first hymn?
12. Which one of the following corresponds to an ancient tradition about Homer?
(a) He was blind.
(b) He did not live in Ancient Rome or Greece.
(c) He was the creator of the Greek alphabet.
(d) He spent most of his life alone.
13. What name is Herakles also known as?
14. What is the difference between the first and second hymns to Artemis?
(a) The first hymn is not about Artemis.
(b) The first hymn does not mention Artemis by name.
(c) The first hymn is longer.
(d) The first hymn is shorter.
15. According to the hymn, where does Artemis dance?
(a) In the forest.
(b) At her brother's house.
(c) On a mountain.
(d) At her sister's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of leaves appear as the boat continues to sail while holding Dionysus?
2. What does Hermes steal from Apollo?
3. What does the poet pray for at the end of The Hymn to Herakles?
4. According to The Third Hymn to Dionysus, why is Dionysus raised in secrecy?
5. How does The Hymn to Ares end?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)