|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Artemis's skill described in the second hymn?
(a) Remorseless, but not powerful.
(b) Powerful, but not remorseless.
(c) Powerful and remorseless.
(d) Neither powerful nor remorseless.
2. What is the judgment that Hermes receives?
(a) He can keep the stolen animals.
(b) He must grant Apollo three wishes.
(c) He must return the stolen animals to Apollo.
(d) He must apologize to Apollo.
3. How many of the stolen animals does Hermes sacrifice in the caves?
(d) All of them.
4. How does the poet describe the cowardice he would like to "shake off" in The Hymn to Ares?
5. Based on the information provided in The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who raises Dionysus?
6. In the poet's opinion, how do Earth's blessings manifest themselves in males?
7. What meter are the hymns composed in?
8. According to The Third Hymn to Dionysus, why is Dionysus raised in secrecy?
(a) To protect his identity.
(b) To teach him various skills.
(c) To prevent him from discovering his parents.
(d) To protect him from Hera.
9. What type of nourishment of humanity does the Earth have according to the first hymn?
10. According to the hymn, where does Artemis dance?
(a) In the forest.
(b) On a mountain.
(c) At her sister's house.
(d) At her brother's house.
11. What does Hermes use to enable him to fly as he disguises his theft?
12. How does The Hymn to Dionysus begin?
(a) With a description of Dionysus.
(b) With a note from Homer.
(c) With a song about Dionysus.
(d) With a note from the translator.
13. According to the most recent study included in the Introduction, what period are the longer hymns from?
14. What does the poet ask Ares for?
15. Who jumps overboard after Dionysus's transformation?
(a) The entire crew except for the helmsman.
(b) The entire crew.
(c) The entire crew except for the captain.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. As stated in The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who is the mother of Dionysus?
2. According to the evidence presented in the Introduction, what are some of the hymns most likely a prelude for?
3. Which one of the following epics was composed by Homer?
4. What century did the Ancient Greeks begin to use the alphabetic script?
5. What does the first hymn to Hera praise her for?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)