|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does the author describe how Earth's blessings manifest themselves in females?
2. What is the difference between the first and second hymns to Artemis?
(a) The first hymn does not mention Artemis by name.
(b) The first hymn is shorter.
(c) The first hymn is not about Artemis.
(d) The first hymn is longer.
3. In summarizing The Hymn to the Earth, what does the poet suggest follows the manifestation of Earth's blessings?
(a) Fortune and wealth.
(b) Health and wealth.
(c) Health, fortune, and wealth.
(d) Health and fortune.
4. What talent of Apollo is described in the first Hymn to Hermes?
5. What is the Earth praised for in the first hymn?
(a) Her commitment.
(b) Her sacredness.
(c) Her strength.
(d) Her loyalty.
6. Who jumps overboard after Dionysus's transformation?
(a) No one.
(b) The entire crew.
(c) The entire crew except for the helmsman.
(d) The entire crew except for the captain.
7. How does Hermes's mother discover that he has been up to no good?
(a) His silence.
(b) His odd behavior.
(c) His absence.
(d) His rudeness.
8. Who is believed to be Herakles's father?
9. Who is the other major composer of early Greek poetry that is mentioned in the Introduction?
10. According to the hymn, where does Artemis dance?
(a) At her brother's house.
(b) At her sister's house.
(c) In the forest.
(d) On a mountain.
11. According to the most recent study included in the Introduction, what period are the longer hymns from?
12. Who is the father of Hermes, according to the first Hymn?
13. How many songs are used to compose the Homeric Hymns?
(a) Twenty three.
(b) Fifty three.
(c) Forty three.
(d) Thirty three.
14. How is the sailing ship that captures Dionysus described?
15. In the poet's opinion, how do Earth's blessings manifest themselves in males?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Artemis's dancing described in the hymn?
2. How does the poet describe the laws of peace that he wishes to linger in at the end of The Hymn to Ares?
3. According to The Hymn to Pan, what animal makes up the lower half of Pan, who is known for nature and wild music?
4. Making it different than many of the other hymns, how does The Hymn to Ares begin?
5. Where does Herakles eventually live?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)