|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dionysus turn the crew of the ship into?
2. What animal does Dionysus turn into while on board the ship?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A bear.
(c) A lion.
(d) A wolf.
3. Which god did the Homeridae feature in their preludes?
4. Which one of the following corresponds to an ancient tradition about Homer?
(a) He was blind.
(b) He did not live in Ancient Rome or Greece.
(c) He was the creator of the Greek alphabet.
(d) He spent most of his life alone.
5. Which one of the following is not included in the description of Hermes provided in The Second Hymn to Hermes?
(a) Dispenser of favors.
(c) Giver of good things.
6. In what way does Hermes's mother respond to Hermes' stealing activities?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She cries.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She scolds him.
7. What is the judgment that Hermes receives?
(a) He must return the stolen animals to Apollo.
(b) He must apologize to Apollo.
(c) He can keep the stolen animals.
(d) He must grant Apollo three wishes.
8. What is the difference between the first and second hymns to Artemis?
(a) The first hymn is longer.
(b) The first hymn is not about Artemis.
(c) The first hymn is shorter.
(d) The first hymn does not mention Artemis by name.
9. How many of the stolen animals does Hermes sacrifice in the caves?
(c) All of them.
10. What happens to the helmsman in The Hymn to Dionysus?
(a) He is released by Dionysus on an island.
(b) He swims to safety on a nearby island.
(c) He is richly rewarded.
(d) He is turned into a hawk.
11. How does the poet describe the laws of peace that he wishes to linger in at the end of The Hymn to Ares?
12. What fifth-century poet is mentioned in the Introduction in reference to a description of the Homeridae?
13. Who is the father of Hermes, according to the first Hymn?
14. What type of armor does Ares have, according to the poet?
15. Who is believed to be Herakles's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hera's husband?
2. What does Apollo give to Hermes towards the end of the first hymn?
3. How is Artemis's skill described in the second hymn?
4. In the story, where is Dionysus raised?
5. According to the most recent study included in the Introduction, what period are the longer hymns from?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)