|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which god did the Homeridae feature in their preludes?
2. According to The Third Hymn to Dionysus, why is Dionysus raised in secrecy?
(a) To teach him various skills.
(b) To protect his identity.
(c) To protect him from Hera.
(d) To prevent him from discovering his parents.
3. How do historians think that the Homeric poems were composed?
(a) It is unclear.
(b) By writing.
(d) Both by writing and verbally.
4. Along with his feats of strength, which one of the following is also discussed in The Hymn to Herakles?
(a) His wandering.
(b) His rivalries.
(c) His philosophy.
(d) His intelligence.
5. Which one of the following is not a well known recurrent theme of Ancient Greek literature?
(a) Ignorance of the future.
(b) The inevitable nature of old age.
(c) Ignorance of the past.
(d) The uncertainty of life.
6. In the story, where is Dionysus raised?
(a) A secret cave.
(b) A secret island.
(c) A secret mountain.
(d) A secret fortress.
7. When does Hermes reportedly kill a large turtle?
(a) The day after he is born.
(b) Two days after he is born.
(c) The week after he is born.
(d) Two weeks after he is born.
8. What invocation to Dionysus ends the third hymn?
(a) Wild, noisy lion.
(b) Girl-crazy lion.
(c) Wild, noisy goat.
(d) Girl-crazy goat.
9. What century did the Ancient Greeks begin to use the alphabetic script?
10. As stated in The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who is the mother of Dionysus?
11. How is Artemis's skill described in the second hymn?
(a) Powerful, but not remorseless.
(b) Remorseless, but not powerful.
(c) Neither powerful nor remorseless.
(d) Powerful and remorseless.
12. Where does Herakles eventually live?
(c) Mount Olympus.
13. Who is Hera's husband?
14. What is the intent of the captain of the sailing boat?
(a) To destroy Dionysus.
(b) To gain knowledge from Dionysus.
(c) To release Dionysus on the next island.
(d) To hold Dionysus for ransom.
15. Based on the findings of archaeologists, which centuries have a gap between them where no writings have been found?
(a) The twelfth and seventh.
(b) The eighth and second.
(c) The twelfth and ninth.
(d) The eighth and fourth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who jumps overboard after Dionysus's transformation?
2. What animal does Dionysus turn into while on board the ship?
3. What does Hermes use to enable him to fly as he disguises his theft?
4. What type of nourishment of humanity does the Earth have according to the first hymn?
5. What does Dionysus turn the crew of the ship into?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)