|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Artemis's skill described in the second hymn?
(a) Powerful, but not remorseless.
(b) Neither powerful nor remorseless.
(c) Remorseless, but not powerful.
(d) Powerful and remorseless.
2. What type of nourishment of humanity does the Earth have according to the first hymn?
3. What does Apollo give to Hermes towards the end of the first hymn?
(a) A bow.
(b) A wand.
(c) A horse.
(d) A pair of shoes.
4. How do historians think that the Homeric poems were composed?
(a) Both by writing and verbally.
(b) By writing.
(d) It is unclear.
5. What animal does Dionysus turn into while on board the ship?
(a) A bear.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A lion.
(d) A wolf.
6. What is the Earth praised for in the first hymn?
(a) Her loyalty.
(b) Her sacredness.
(c) Her commitment.
(d) Her strength.
7. What is the difference between the first and second hymns to Artemis?
(a) The first hymn is longer.
(b) The first hymn is not about Artemis.
(c) The first hymn does not mention Artemis by name.
(d) The first hymn is shorter.
8. What does Hermes use to enable him to fly as he disguises his theft?
9. In the opinion of the author, how does Hera's power compare to the influence of her husband?
(a) It is less powerful in some ways, and more powerful in other ways.
(b) It is less powerful.
(c) It is more powerful.
(d) It is equal.
10. According to The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who is the father of Dionysus?
11. What does Dionysus turn the crew of the ship into?
12. As stated in The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who is the mother of Dionysus?
13. How is Hermes's defense described in the first hymn?
14. What does the poet ask Ares for?
15. What was the syallabic script used by the Greeks in the late Bronze Age?
(a) Linear D.
(b) Linear B.
(c) Linear C.
(d) Linear A.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the stolen animals does Hermes sacrifice in the caves?
2. What type of armor does Ares have, according to the poet?
3. What does the helmsman of the boat recognize?
4. What type of leaves appear as the boat continues to sail while holding Dionysus?
5. What invocation to Dionysus ends the third hymn?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)