|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the syallabic script used by the Greeks in the late Bronze Age?
(a) Linear D.
(b) Linear B.
(c) Linear A.
(d) Linear C.
2. As mentioned in The Second Hymn to Hera, who offers the praises to her?
(a) Humans and nature, but not animals.
(b) Humans, animals, and nature.
(c) Humans and animals, but not nature.
(d) Animals and nature, but not humans.
3. What way does the poet describe the manifestation of Earth's blessings in children?
4. What instrument is Artemis known for using?
(a) Her voice.
(c) Her feet.
5. In The Hymn to Ares, what word is used to describe Ares's force?
6. According to the hymn, where does Artemis dance?
(a) At her sister's house.
(b) On a mountain.
(c) At her brother's house.
(d) In the forest.
7. What is the voice that the author refers to in The Hymn to Ares provoking him to do?
(a) Enter battle.
(b) Write another poem.
(c) Retreat from battle.
(d) Write another song.
8. As used by the Greeks to describe The Homeric Hymns, what does the word, charis, mean?
9. Based on the findings of archaeologists, which centuries have a gap between them where no writings have been found?
(a) The twelfth and seventh.
(b) The eighth and fourth.
(c) The twelfth and ninth.
(d) The eighth and second.
10. How is Herakles described in the hymn?
(a) A great mythic figure.
(b) A great mythic fighter.
(c) A great mythic hero.
(d) A great mythic warrior.
11. In the poet's opinion, how do Earth's blessings manifest themselves in males?
12. In the first Hymn to Hermes, where is Hermes judged for his crimes?
(a) Mount Athos.
(b) Mount Olympus.
13. What does Dionysus turn the crew of the ship into?
14. How is Artemis's skill described in the second hymn?
(a) Powerful and remorseless.
(b) Remorseless, but not powerful.
(c) Neither powerful nor remorseless.
(d) Powerful, but not remorseless.
15. Who jumps overboard after Dionysus's transformation?
(a) The entire crew except for the helmsman.
(b) The entire crew except for the captain.
(c) No one.
(d) The entire crew.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the myth, what does Hermes use the shell of the turtle to make?
2. How is Artemis's dancing described in the hymn?
3. Who is the father of Hermes, according to the first Hymn?
4. Based on the information provided in The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who raises Dionysus?
5. What type of leaves appear as the boat continues to sail while holding Dionysus?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)