|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the voice that the author refers to in The Hymn to Ares provoking him to do?
(a) Retreat from battle.
(b) Write another song.
(c) Write another poem.
(d) Enter battle.
2. At the conclusion of the first hymn, how is Hermes described?
(a) As a helper, but not a cheater.
(b) As a cheater, but not a helper.
(c) As a cheater and a helper.
(d) As neither a helper nor a cheater.
3. How many of the stolen animals does Hermes sacrifice in the caves?
(a) All of them.
4. How is Artemis's dancing described in the hymn?
5. In the poet's opinion, how do Earth's blessings manifest themselves in males?
6. How is the sailing ship that captures Dionysus described?
7. How does The Hymn to Ares end?
(a) With a riddle.
(b) With a prediction.
(c) With a song.
(d) With a prayer.
8. Along with his feats of strength, which one of the following is also discussed in The Hymn to Herakles?
(a) His wandering.
(b) His intelligence.
(c) His rivalries.
(d) His philosophy.
9. In the story, where is Dionysus raised?
(a) A secret cave.
(b) A secret fortress.
(c) A secret island.
(d) A secret mountain.
10. As described in The Hymn to Asclepios, what is Asclepios known for?
11. How does the first Hymn to Dionysus conclude?
(a) With a question.
(b) With a praise.
(c) With a song.
(d) With a prediction.
12. According to the hymn, where does Artemis dance?
(a) At her brother's house.
(b) In the forest.
(c) At her sister's house.
(d) On a mountain.
13. What instrument is Artemis known for using?
(a) Her feet.
(d) Her voice.
14. How does The Hymn to Dionysus begin?
(a) With a note from the translator.
(b) With a description of Dionysus.
(c) With a note from Homer.
(d) With a song about Dionysus.
15. Which god did the Homeridae feature in their preludes?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to The Hymn to Pan, what animal makes up the lower half of Pan, who is known for nature and wild music?
2. In the first Hymn to Hermes, where is Hermes judged for his crimes?
3. Which one of the following corresponds to an ancient tradition about Homer?
4. How is Artemis's skill described in the second hymn?
5. In the first Hymn to Hermes, who is described as Hermes's mother?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)