|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the judgment that Hermes receives?
(a) He can keep the stolen animals.
(b) He must apologize to Apollo.
(c) He must return the stolen animals to Apollo.
(d) He must grant Apollo three wishes.
2. Who jumps overboard after Dionysus's transformation?
(a) The entire crew except for the helmsman.
(b) The entire crew except for the captain.
(c) No one.
(d) The entire crew.
3. How is Artemis's skill described in the second hymn?
(a) Powerful and remorseless.
(b) Powerful, but not remorseless.
(c) Remorseless, but not powerful.
(d) Neither powerful nor remorseless.
4. Who is believed to be Herakles's father?
5. According to The Third Hymn to Dionysus, why is Dionysus raised in secrecy?
(a) To protect his identity.
(b) To teach him various skills.
(c) To prevent him from discovering his parents.
(d) To protect him from Hera.
6. What is the difference between the first and second hymns to Artemis?
(a) The first hymn does not mention Artemis by name.
(b) The first hymn is not about Artemis.
(c) The first hymn is shorter.
(d) The first hymn is longer.
7. What century did the Ancient Greeks begin to use the alphabetic script?
8. What animal does Dionysus turn into while on board the ship?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A bear.
(d) A lion.
9. What name is Herakles also known as?
10. How do historians think that the Homeric poems were composed?
(a) It is unclear.
(c) By writing.
(d) Both by writing and verbally.
11. Who is the other major composer of early Greek poetry that is mentioned in the Introduction?
12. In the first Hymn to Hermes, where is Hermes judged for his crimes?
(b) Mount Athos.
(d) Mount Olympus.
13. Which one of the following is not something that Hermes was known as?
14. Based on the information provided in The Second Hymn to Dionysus, who raises Dionysus?
15. What type of armor does Ares have, according to the poet?
Short Answer Questions
1. What talent of Apollo is described in the first Hymn to Hermes?
2. As stated in the hymn, who does Ares lead?
3. What does the helmsman of the boat recognize?
4. What is the voice that the author refers to in The Hymn to Ares provoking him to do?
5. What instrument is Artemis known for using?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)