|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hymns to Athena and Hestia.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the helmsman of the boat recognize?
(a) That the boat was sinking.
(b) The holiness of the prisoner.
(c) The danger that the crew is in.
(d) That the boat was going off course.
2. What power does The Hymn to Poseidon discuss?
(a) The power of sea creatures.
(b) The power of the winds.
(c) The power of the sea.
(d) The power of the sea plants.
3. Based on the information provided in their hymn, what do the Muses influence?
(a) Music, history, dance, and poetry.
(b) Music, and dance, but not poetry or history.
(c) Music, dance, and poetry, but not history.
(d) Music, history, and poetry, but not dance.
4. What is the voice that the author refers to in The Hymn to Ares provoking him to do?
(a) Write another song.
(b) Retreat from battle.
(c) Write another poem.
(d) Enter battle.
5. What is Anchises's initial reaction when he learns Aphrodite's true identity?
(a) He is terrified.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is amused.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Hermes reportedly kill a large turtle?
2. According to the most recent study included in the Introduction, what period are the longer hymns from?
3. Whose child does Demeter attempt to make immortal?
4. According to The Hymn to Pan, what animal makes up the lower half of Pan, who is known for nature and wild music?
5. How do historians think that the Homeric poems were composed?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)