|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Hymns to the Earth, Artemis, Hera, and the Mother of the Gods.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the evidence presented in the Introduction, what are some of the hymns most likely a prelude for?
(a) A shorter poem.
(b) A longer poem.
(c) Another book by Homer.
(d) Another book by a different author.
2. Which god did the Homeridae feature in their preludes?
3. Which one of the following epics was composed by Homer?
(a) The Odyssey.
(b) Works and Days.
4. As used by the Greeks to describe The Homeric Hymns, what does the word, charis, mean?
5. What is the purpose of the first hymn to Artemis?
(a) To describe Artemis' shortcomings.
(b) To introduce Homer's knowledge of Artemis.
(c) To introduce the second one.
(d) To describe another god that Artemis emulated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument is Artemis known for using?
2. In summarizing The Hymn to the Earth, what does the poet suggest follows the manifestation of Earth's blessings?
3. What is the difference between the first and second hymns to Artemis?
4. What is the Earth praised for in the first hymn?
5. Who is the other major composer of early Greek poetry that is mentioned in the Introduction?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)