|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Hymns to the Earth, Artemis, Hera, and the Mother of the Gods.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following epics was composed by Homer?
(a) The Odyssey.
(b) Works and Days.
2. What fifth-century poet is mentioned in the Introduction in reference to a description of the Homeridae?
3. How is Artemis's skill described in the second hymn?
(a) Neither powerful nor remorseless.
(b) Powerful and remorseless.
(c) Remorseless, but not powerful.
(d) Powerful, but not remorseless.
4. What is the purpose of the first hymn to Artemis?
(a) To describe Artemis' shortcomings.
(b) To introduce the second one.
(c) To introduce Homer's knowledge of Artemis.
(d) To describe another god that Artemis emulated.
5. What is the length of the shortest hymn?
(a) Two paragraphs.
(b) Three paragraphs.
(c) Two lines.
(d) Three lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the most recent study included in the Introduction, what period are the longer hymns from?
2. What instrument is Artemis known for using?
3. What was the syallabic script used by the Greeks in the late Bronze Age?
4. How is Artemis's dancing described in the hymn?
5. What does the first hymn to Hera praise her for?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)