|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Hymns to the Earth, Artemis, Hera, and the Mother of the Gods.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As mentioned in The Second Hymn to Hera, who offers the praises to her?
(a) Humans and nature, but not animals.
(b) Humans and animals, but not nature.
(c) Animals and nature, but not humans.
(d) Humans, animals, and nature.
2. In the poet's opinion, how do Earth's blessings manifest themselves in males?
3. What fifth-century poet is mentioned in the Introduction in reference to a description of the Homeridae?
4. What is the length of the shortest hymn?
(a) Two lines.
(b) Two paragraphs.
(c) Three lines.
(d) Three paragraphs.
5. What does the first hymn to Hera praise her for?
(a) Her eminence and glory.
(b) Her eminence, mercifulness, and glory.
(c) Her mercifulness and glory.
(d) Her eminence and mercifulness.
Short Answer Questions
1. In summarizing The Hymn to the Earth, what does the poet suggest follows the manifestation of Earth's blessings?
2. What meter are the hymns composed in?
3. In the opinion of the author, how does Hera's power compare to the influence of her husband?
4. What was the syallabic script used by the Greeks in the late Bronze Age?
5. As used by the Greeks to describe The Homeric Hymns, what does the word, charis, mean?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)