|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Hymns to the Earth, Artemis, Hera, and the Mother of the Gods.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What meter are the hymns composed in?
2. In The Hymn to the Earth, what does the poet refer to the Earth as?
(a) The mother of civilization.
(b) The mother of us all.
(c) The guardian of civilization.
(d) The guardian of us all.
3. Which one of the following is not a well known recurrent theme of Ancient Greek literature?
(a) The uncertainty of life.
(b) Ignorance of the future.
(c) The inevitable nature of old age.
(d) Ignorance of the past.
4. According to the most recent study included in the Introduction, what period are the longer hymns from?
5. What is the length of the shortest hymn?
(a) Two lines.
(b) Three paragraphs.
(c) Two paragraphs.
(d) Three lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What way does the poet describe the manifestation of Earth's blessings in children?
2. What is the length of the longest hymn?
3. Which god did the Homeridae feature in their preludes?
4. In a tribute, which Greek historian attributes the "Hymn to Apollo" to Homer?
5. What type of nourishment of humanity does the Earth have according to the first hymn?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)