|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Hymns to the Earth, Artemis, Hera, and the Mother of the Gods.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hera's husband?
2. According to the most recent study included in the Introduction, what period are the longer hymns from?
3. What is the purpose of the first hymn to Artemis?
(a) To describe Artemis' shortcomings.
(b) To introduce the second one.
(c) To introduce Homer's knowledge of Artemis.
(d) To describe another god that Artemis emulated.
4. As used by the Greeks to describe The Homeric Hymns, what does the word, charis, mean?
5. In the opinion of the author, how does Hera's power compare to the influence of her husband?
(a) It is less powerful.
(b) It is equal.
(c) It is more powerful.
(d) It is less powerful in some ways, and more powerful in other ways.
Short Answer Questions
1. What century did the Ancient Greeks begin to use the alphabetic script?
2. What was the syallabic script used by the Greeks in the late Bronze Age?
3. What meter are the hymns composed in?
4. Which one of the following epics was composed by Homer?
5. According to the evidence presented in the Introduction, what are some of the hymns most likely a prelude for?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)