|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Hymns to the Earth, Artemis, Hera, and the Mother of the Gods.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which god did the Homeridae feature in their preludes?
2. What is the difference between the first and second hymns to Artemis?
(a) The first hymn does not mention Artemis by name.
(b) The first hymn is longer.
(c) The first hymn is shorter.
(d) The first hymn is not about Artemis.
3. In The Hymn to the Earth, what does the poet refer to the Earth as?
(a) The guardian of us all.
(b) The mother of civilization.
(c) The mother of us all.
(d) The guardian of civilization.
4. What is the purpose of the first hymn to Artemis?
(a) To introduce Homer's knowledge of Artemis.
(b) To describe Artemis' shortcomings.
(c) To describe another god that Artemis emulated.
(d) To introduce the second one.
5. Who is the other major composer of early Greek poetry that is mentioned in the Introduction?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the evidence presented in the Introduction, what are some of the hymns most likely a prelude for?
2. What does the first hymn to Hera praise her for?
3. As used by the Greeks to describe The Homeric Hymns, what does the word, charis, mean?
4. In the poet's opinion, how do Earth's blessings manifest themselves in males?
5. Who is Hera's husband?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)