|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Hymns to the Earth, Artemis, Hera, and the Mother of the Gods.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hera's husband?
2. How is Artemis's skill described in the second hymn?
(a) Powerful and remorseless.
(b) Powerful, but not remorseless.
(c) Neither powerful nor remorseless.
(d) Remorseless, but not powerful.
3. What fifth-century poet is mentioned in the Introduction in reference to a description of the Homeridae?
4. What does the first hymn to Hera praise her for?
(a) Her eminence, mercifulness, and glory.
(b) Her eminence and mercifulness.
(c) Her eminence and glory.
(d) Her mercifulness and glory.
5. In The Hymn to the Earth, what does the poet refer to the Earth as?
(a) The mother of us all.
(b) The guardian of civilization.
(c) The mother of civilization.
(d) The guardian of us all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the other major composer of early Greek poetry that is mentioned in the Introduction?
2. Based on the findings of archaeologists, which centuries have a gap between them where no writings have been found?
3. According to the most recent study included in the Introduction, what period are the longer hymns from?
4. What century did the Ancient Greeks begin to use the alphabetic script?
5. What is Artemis's skill?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)