|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hymns to Athena and Hestia.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anchises ask Aphrodite for after he learns her identity?
2. What does the helmsman of the boat recognize?
(a) That the boat was going off course.
(b) The danger that the crew is in.
(c) The holiness of the prisoner.
(d) That the boat was sinking.
3. Which argument does the poet describe in The Hymn to Dionysus?
(a) The argument between Dionysus and the captain.
(b) The argument between Dionysus, the helmsman, and the captain.
(c) The argument between the helmsman and the captain.
(d) The argument between Dionysus and the helmsman.
4. Whose house does the poet mention at the end of The Second Hymn to Hestia because it is blessed by Hestia?
5. As explained in the hymn, how did the witnesses of Athena's birth respond to the event?
(a) With laughter.
(b) With silence.
(c) With sadness.
(d) With fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reportedly witnessed the birth of Athena?
2. According to the poet of the hymns, who is responsible for Aphrodite's desire for mortal men?
3. What is the intent of the captain of the sailing boat?
4. How does The Hymn to Dionysus begin?
5. Based on the hymn, how many goddesses are there that Aphrodite cannot influence?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)