|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Foucault say has happened to sexual discourse?
2. What was the focus of the codes of sexual conduct up to the end of the eighteenth century?
3. Which of the following is NOT a mode of power that Foucault recognizes as being integral to sexuality in the nineteenth century?
4. What does Foucault say about the repressive hypothesis?
5. What would Foucault agree with about modern industrial society?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Foucault, what was the purpose of the emerging analytical sexual discourse? Give examples.
2. Briefly define the changes that happened to confessions regarding sex in the seventeenth century, and how it affected sexual discourse.
3. What is the relationship that Foucault defines between power and pleasure?
4. What does Foucault say sexuality was like in the beginning of the 17th century?
5. What did the medicalization of the effects of confession promise, and how did that effect scientia sexualis?
6. What are ars erotica and scientia sexualis? How are they different?
7. Who was the peasant Jouy, and why was he significant to Foucault's argument?
8. What is the postulate of general and diffuse causality? How did it help sexual discourse spread?
9. What are the four modes of power discussed by Foucault?
10. According to Foucault, what affect has the supposed power of restriction and limitation had over sexuality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Foucault's premise that power within a sociological construction is inextricably linked to resistance, and the relation of this view of power in sexuality.
Part 1: Describe power in a sociological construction. Is it inherent in the system? Can it be acquired or seized? Are power relations intentional or subjective?
Part 2: Using the paradigm of power laid out above, describe the power relations in sexuality.
Essay Topic 2
The confessional paved the way for the creation of other mechanisms and institutions to create authorized and necessary forms of sexual discourse. Write an essay describing those mechanisms and institutions and their own forms of sexual discourse.
Part 1: Judicial.
Part 2: Medical.
Part 3: Governmental.
Part 4: Pedagogical.
Essay Topic 3
Foucault brings up two examples of the "incitement to discourse."
Part 1: Explain "My Secret Life" and the case of the peasant Jouy. Why are each of these useful to Foucault's argument of the incitement to discourse?
Part 2: Consider the evolution of sexual discourse and how it relates to "My Secret Life" and the case of Jouy. In which case is the discourse more rudimentary, and in which is it, as sexual discourse, more "evolved?" Why?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)