|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the socialization of procreative behavior do?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Provide fiscal incitement or restrictions regarding the fertility of couples.
(c) Assign a pathogenic value to non reproductive sex.
(d) Identify reproduction and sex as a matter of public importance.
2. What was the effect of the deployment of alliance in the family unit to control sexuality?
(a) None of the above.
(b) It intensified the situation, then involved outstide help like doctors which caused discourse to increase.
(c) It limited the discussion of sexuality in the family unit and so drove it to outside relations like doctors.
(d) It channeled many of the previously accepted forms of sexuality into new perversions.
3. Which of the following is the question that Foucault identifies as the one that needs to be addressed?
(a) What over-all domination since the eighteenth century was served by the concern to produce true discourses on sex?
(b) In a specific type of discourse on sex, in a specific form and place, what were the most immediate and local power relations at work?
(c) What law presided over both the regularity of sexual behavior and the conformity of what was said about it?
(d) Given a specific state structure, how and why is it that power needs to establish a knowledge of sex?
4. What does Foucault NOT say is a derivative basis of power?
(a) Machinery of production.
(c) Political authority.
(d) All of the above.
5. What does Foucault say is true of discourse?
(a) It is both an instrument and effect of power.
(b) It undermines and exposes power.
(c) It transmits and produces power.
(d) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which words would Foucault use to explain power?
2. According to Foucault, the role of the family unit is NOT:
3. What does the rule of the tactical polyvalence of discourses state?
4. Which of the following statements would Foucault NOT agree with regarding discourses?
5. How would you best describe the strategy in which sex plays a vital role?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Foucault claim monarchs of the middle ages persuaded the existing power centers to accept and participate in their power?
2. What is the pedagogization of children's sex?
3. How does sexuality vary between classes?
4. Is there disinterested knowledge? Explain.
5. How did sexuality spread to the general population?
6. What is the hysterization of women's bodies?
7. In what form did sexuality first arise, and what was its intended purpose?
8. Relationships between power and knowledge are transformational matrices and highly subject to change. Give an example of a power-knowledge relationship that has changed dramatically.
9. What role does psychiatry play in the deployment of sexuality and the repressive hypothesis?
10. How does Foucault use the French revolution to explain the interconnectedness of power and law?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)