|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4, Chapter 4, Periodization.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Foucault define as one of the most valued techniques of the West for producing truth?
(b) The confession.
(c) Scientia sexualis.
2. Which of the rules regarding power and resistance is represented by the following example? In the nineteenth century the sex of a child was discussed between parents and educators or doctors. However, through modifications and shifts now the sexuality of a child is discussed between the child and a doctor with the sexuality of the parents called into question.
(a) Rules of continual variations.
(b) Rule of the tactical polyvalence of discourses.
(c) Rule of double conditioning.
(d) Rule of immanence.
3. Which of the following can NOT be said of the population's sexual conduct in the eighteenth century?
(a) It was uniformly negated by existing power mechanisms.
(b) It was essential the state knew of it and the use made of it.
(c) Campaigns tried to conform it into a concerted economic and political behavior.
(d) It was an object of analysis and target of intervention.
4. What is scientia sexualis?
(a) Procedures for telling the truth about sex which are adapted from confession.
(b) The study of aberrations, perversions, and other forms of alternate sexualities.
(c) The science of mastering the act of sexual pleasure.
(d) The biological science of reproduction.
5. What does Foucault say has happened to sexual discourse?
(a) It has gradually started to erode the power paradigm.
(b) It has undergone a recent revolution.
(c) It has undergone a process of restriction.
(d) It has been subjected to a mechanism of increasing incitement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the rule of double conditioning state?
2. What does the rule of immanence state?
3. Which of the following is NOT true, according to Foucault, about the treatment of sex in the beginning of the eighteenth century?
4. Which of the following statements would Foucault use to describe sexuality?
5. When does the alternate history that Foucault tells for sexuality start?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)