|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4, Chapter 4, Periodization.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the many great innovations in the techniques of power in the eighteenth century was inextricably interwoven with the discourse on sex?
(a) The concentration of wealth and education.
(b) The partnership between church and state.
(c) The emergence of population as an economic and political problem.
2. What does Foucault say are joined in confession in the West?
(a) Sex and morality.
(b) Secrets and shame.
(c) Religion and sex.
(d) Truth and sex.
3. What happened to the penal and legal codes relating to sexual offenses in the nineteenth century?
(a) The severity of the codes diminished greatly and often deferred to medicine.
(b) The codes transferred from a religious base requiring exorcism to a legal base requiring reform.
(c) The codes were recognized by the church as a great moral necessity.
(d) The effectiveness of the codes was considered the battleground against vice and evil.
4. What were the two places of tolerance to arise as a result of the confinement of sexuality?
(a) The brothel and mental hospital.
(b) The mental hospital and the unmarried.
(c) The brothel and the lower class.
(d) The mental hospital and the lower class.
5. What does Foucault say was true about sexuality at the beginning of the seventeenth century?
(a) All forms of sexuality were highly condemed by the church.
(b) It was considered by all to be the ethical and moral challenge of the age.
(c) There was little secrecy, and openness and frankness about the illicit were common.
(d) There were high consequences for any deviation from the socially accepted mores of the era.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true about the principle of latency intrinsic to sexuality?
2. What is scientia sexualis?
3. Which of the following is a statement made by Foucault?
4. Which of the following best characterizes the techniques of sexuality from the sixteenth century onward?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the doubts Foucault expresses against the "repressive hypothesis?"
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)