|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is looting usually associated with?
2. In "Exposure," where are the men freezing?
3. What was the absence of women for some soldiers?
4. When Robert Graves enters the military, where is he first stationed?
5. What do some writers like George Adam's associate the military with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have gardens always been an important factor in English literature and the word pastoral applies to war literature?
2. How are elegies based on the pastoral?
3. Explain the relationship between soldier and officer as written about through poems and writings of the time.
4. Describe the way Fussell uses euphemisms to describe various things.
5. In relation to love, explain the soldier's world in the battlefield?
6. Describe Wilfred Owen's writings and his service time in the war.
7. How is bathing soldiers a part of wartime literature?
8. Describe Robert Graves military life in his book, Goodbye to All That.
9. How was there a debate on whether the English language was not adequate to deal with war?
10. What are the two reasons Fussell believes the British soldiers have a flair for theatrics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"War literature is alive with allusion." What is allusion? Name five authors who have written war literature with allusion. List the genre the authors write in and explain the allusion each author is showing.
Essay Topic 2
Fussell tells the story of the Canadian Crucifixion.
Part 1) Describe the story of the Canadian Crucifixion using as much detail as possible. Who stood watch as the Canadian was being crucified? What was the Canadian being crucified with? Where was the Canadian being crucified? Why was the Canadian being crucified?
Part 2) There are different versions of the Canadian Crucifixion. Why are there different versions of the story?
Part 3) Name any writers who use the Canadian Crucifixion as symbolism for their writing and why they use it.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Trenches played a big part of the war. Where were they located? Why were they located here? How many miles of trenches were there?
Part 2) Describe life in the trenches. Were they comfortable to live in? How many soldiers actually stayed in the trenches? What did soldiers do in the trenches when they were not in battle? Were the trenches beneficial in battle or did they hurt armies in battle? Give reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)