|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were people placed on the social scale for in the most pronounced pre-war class system?
(d) Communication skills.
2. What was the absence of women for some soldiers?
3. What are there many things pastoral in the literature about?
4. Who allowed the publication of Wilfred Owen's works after his death?
(b) Commanding officer.
5. At what age did Robert Grave's enter the military?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are referred to as shepherds tending to their sheep?
2. What did the army give soldiers a life not complicated by?
3. Pastoral allusion is good in getting across what point?
4. What does the soldier seek as a way of countering loneliness and terror in the battle field?
5. What type of soldiers are considered vulnerable in wartime literature?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so special about blond males in most wartime literature? Name some authors who wrote about blond males.
2. How are flowers and the color red associated with the pastoral?
3. Explain the relationship between soldier and officer as written about through poems and writings of the time.
4. How can homosexuality be seen as a problem as a soldier?
5. How was there a debate on whether the English language was not adequate to deal with war?
6. Give some examples of how writers associate the military with theater?
7. Describe Robert Graves military life in his book, Goodbye to All That.
8. How is bathing soldiers a part of wartime literature?
9. Give examples of words or phrases that stemmed from the war.
10. How have gardens always been an important factor in English literature and the word pastoral applies to war literature?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)