|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he returns to his unit, what does Graves get sent to the hospital for?
(c) Mental illness.
(d) Severe fever.
2. What do some writers like George Adam's associate the military with?
3. What soldiers are said to have a flair for theatrics?
(d) United States.
4. Fussell demonstrates the use of pet names for cities and places. What word was used to refer to eat-apples?
(c) Idiot Crossroads.
(d) Old Jerry.
5. In most war literature, men portrayed as homosexual were also what?
6. What happened to some of the new language adapted from the war?
(a) Died after World War I.
(b) Still in use today.
(c) Died after World War II.
(d) Lost with the Great Depression.
7. At what age did Robert Grave's enter the military?
8. What type of world is a soldier's world in the battlefield?
9. In Robert Graves work, Goodbye to All That, Graves tells the story of his own life. In battle his friend is killed in action. What happens to Graves while in battle?
(a) Seriously injured.
(b) Suffers a mental breakdown.
10. There are many literary links between war and what?
11. What is looting usually associated with?
12. In "Exposure," where do the men dream they are?
(b) Flower garden.
(c) With family.
(d) Grassier ditches.
13. In "Oh What a Literary War," the literature of the time is alive with _____.
14. What author writes showing the use of an elegy based on the pastoral?
(a) Herbert Read.
(b) Siegfried Sassoon.
(c) Edmund Blunden.
(d) Wilfred Owens.
15. What type of bird is associated with dawn?
Short Answer Questions
1. Fussell demonstrates the troops making a vocabulary that developed and they used in everyday life. What word was used to refer to passing units on the road?
2. Where does Graves study English literature?
3. What type of flower is associated with the pastoral?
4. What is usually associated with the excitement of fighting in the infantry and on the battlefield?
5. What was the absence of women for some soldiers?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)