|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Soldiers Bathing?"
2. Fussell mentions that some people thought that a certain language was not adequate enough to deal with war. Which language is it?
3. What was the absence of women for some soldiers?
4. Where were there two movements that coincided at the time of the Great War?
5. In "But It Still Goes On," who do the men develop crushes on?
(a) Other soldiers.
(c) All answers are correct.
6. What style does Fussell show as being the direst way of saying what transpired, instead of using symbols or allusion?
(c) No answers are correct.
7. The use of the pastoral in literature is an example of the model-like world of what?
(a) French writing.
(b) German writing.
(c) English writing.
(d) Scotish writing.
8. The war began for the British in terms of language following the assassination of _____.
(a) George Sherston.
(b) Archduke Ferdinand.
(c) Siegfried Sassoon.
(d) Thomas Hardy.
9. In most war literature, men who were portrayed as homosexual had what type of hair?
10. Within writings, there are many comparisons of soldiers as sheep being led where?
11. What is barbed wire discussed in terms of within English pastoral literature?
12. What type of soldiers are considered vulnerable in wartime literature?
(a) Bathing soldiers.
(b) Naked soldiers.
(c) Injured soldiers.
(d) Weak soldiers.
13. During this time, what was considered the main form of entertainment?
(a) All answers are correct.
(c) Literature and the arts.
(d) Classical music.
14. Pastoral allusion is good in getting across what point?
15. What did the army give soldiers a life not complicated by?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Robert Graves Lieutenant when he joins the First Battalion?
2. Sheep and shepherds by themselves are not pastoral. What might you add to them to make them pastoral?
3. Shortly after Graves is released from the hospital the second time, he gets married. What month and year does he get married?
4. There are many literary links between war and what?
5. What happened to some of the new language adapted from the war?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)