Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - A Satire of Circumstance
1. Fussell uses and quotes Thomas Hardy. Fussell begins by quoting a Thomas Hardy poem. Why does Fussell quote Hardy about the war?
2. What is meant by the statement that the Great War is the most hideous and the most ironic?
3. What was the British's army biggest problem?
4. What was wrong with the British commander Sir Douglas Haig's war planning?
5. What was the difference between British commanders General Sir George Plumer and Sir Douglas Haig?
This section contains 947 words|
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)