|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Alfred Brendel born?
2. Harold Bauer credited his piano interest to what dancer?
3. In what year did Isaac Albeniz go to San Francisco before returning to Europe?
4. What musician debuted in 1906 America and amazed other pianists with his "quasi-glissando" that seemed impossible?
5. How old was Josef Hofmann when he made his American debut?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the forerunners of modernism? How did modernism differ from romanticism?
2. What advances in piano technique are described in Chapter XXXI, New Philosophies, New Styles? Where did they originate?
3. What Polish pianists are described in Chapter XXIV, The Chopinzee, the Buddha, and Others in addition to de Pachmann and Godowsky?
4. What advances and contributions did Glenn Gould bring to musical presentation?
5. When did Glenn Gould retire? What emotional disturbances did he suffer from?
6. Who was Vladimir de Pachmann? What was his expertise and namesake?
7. What female students of Liszt are described in Chapter XXV, The Ladies?
8. What American pianists does Schonberg describe in Chapter XXXVIII, Made in America?
9. What example is given to illustrate modernist principles with Josef Hofmann?
10. How are Alfred Brendel and Maurizio Pollini described in Chapter XXXVII, Two Cult Figures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the influences of Friedrich Chopin on romanticism, piano technique, and style. When was Chopin born? When did he debut? When did he die?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the two pianists presented in Chapter XIII, Two Sensitive Ones, Charles Henri Valentin Morhange and Adolf Henselt. Why did the author choose this title for the chapter?
Essay Topic 3
When did the romantic upheaval take place in music and where? What world events led to the break with classicism? How is this transition defined in other art forms?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)