|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Anton Rubinstein's greatest pupil, according to the author?
2. How old was Wilhelm Backhaus when he made his first concert tour?
3. Who codified twentieth century theory of technique beyond Chopin's ideas?
4. How old was Josef Hofmann when he made his American debut?
5. Prokofieff, Rachmaninoff and Horowitz emigrated after the Russian Revolution of 1917 when who took control?
Short Essay Questions
1. What example is given to illustrate modernist principles with Josef Hofmann?
2. Who was Harold Bauer? Describe the Bauer's early career.
3. Who represented Schnabel's German/Austrian legacy in music? How is the German school described?
4. How are Alfred Brendel and Maurizio Pollini described in Chapter XXXVII, Two Cult Figures?
5. What was the critical and public response to Busoni's performances?
6. When did Josef Hofmann make his American debut? What toll did it take on him?
7. What was the impact of the Russian Revolution of 1917 on music?
8. How is the style of Sergei Rachmaninoff described by the author? Where was Sergei Rachmaninoff from?
9. What relationship did Arthur Rubinstein and Vladimir Horowitz share? How did they differ in performance styles?
10. Compare the style and works of Busoni and Godowsky. How does the author relate their philosophical differences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the biographies and works of Johann Hummel and Ignaz Moscheles. What does "bravura" style mean and who was known for it?
Essay Topic 2
When and where was Louis Moreau Gottschalk born? Where did he rise to fame? When did he make his American debut and where?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the works and impact of William Sterndale Bennett, Theodore Dohler, and Stephen Heller. When did these pianists rise to prominence? What were they known for stylistically?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)