|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical school did Anton Rubinstein found?
2. Who was Anton Rubinstein's greatest pupil, according to the author?
3. Prokofieff, Rachmaninoff and Horowitz emigrated after the Russian Revolution of 1917 when who took control?
4. In what year was Maurizio Pollini born?
5. When was Sergei Rachmaninoff born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advances in piano technique are described in Chapter XXXI, New Philosophies, New Styles? Where did they originate?
2. What nickname did Leopold Godowsky earn? Why?
3. Who was Harold Bauer? Describe the Bauer's early career.
4. Who was Isaac Albeniz? Describe his early career.
5. What advances and contributions did Glenn Gould bring to musical presentation?
6. When did Josef Hofmann make his American debut? What toll did it take on him?
7. Who was Artur Schnabel and what was his expertise in music? How is Schnabel described?
8. What American pianists does Schonberg describe in Chapter XXXVIII, Made in America?
9. Who was Vladimir de Pachmann? What was his expertise and namesake?
10. Who represented Schnabel's German/Austrian legacy in music? How is the German school described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and describe the terms "fugue," "legato," and "style galant." How did these stylistic elements contribute to the changes from classicism to romanticism?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the biographies and works of Johann Hummel and Ignaz Moscheles. What does "bravura" style mean and who was known for it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the style, biography, and works of Franz Liszt. What characteristics was Liszt known for as a performer? What were his fans like?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)