|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Leopold Godowsky suffer a stroke?
2. How old was Josef Hofmann when he gave his debut recital?
3. In what year did Josef Hofmann play 255 different works in twenty-one concerts without repeating any?
4. Whose powerful opening made orchestra conductor Eugen Pabst leave the podium to watch his hands and the "audience went wild"?
5. Where was Alfred Brendel born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who represented Schnabel's German/Austrian legacy in music? How is the German school described?
2. What female students of Liszt are described in Chapter XXV, The Ladies?
3. What nickname did Leopold Godowsky earn? Why?
4. How are Alfred Brendel and Maurizio Pollini described in Chapter XXXVII, Two Cult Figures?
5. What Polish pianists are described in Chapter XXIV, The Chopinzee, the Buddha, and Others in addition to de Pachmann and Godowsky?
6. What American pianists does Schonberg describe in Chapter XXXVIII, Made in America?
7. How is the style of Sergei Rachmaninoff described by the author? Where was Sergei Rachmaninoff from?
8. Who was Vladimir de Pachmann? What was his expertise and namesake?
9. Who were the forerunners of modernism? How did modernism differ from romanticism?
10. How does the author describe the correlation between pianists and composers in Chapter XXVI, Composers at the Keyboard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the styles, philosophies, and techniques of Anton Rubinstein and his student Josef Hofmann. What style was Hofmann a forerunner of?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the piano style and techniques of Felix Mendelssohn. What school of music did Felix Mendelssohn later form? How did this influence music?
Essay Topic 3
Who invented the piano and when? What instruments foreshadowed it? How did it rise to popularity?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)