|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters XXXVI through XXXVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What school promoted musicianship, severity, strength and solidity rather than charm and sensuality?
(a) The Russian school.
(b) The German school.
(c) The British school.
(d) The French school.
2. When was Ignacy Jan Paderewski born?
3. How much money did Ignacy Jan Paderewski earn for three months playing in the United States?
4. What pianist was born en route between Cassel and Berlin and played with most superficial brilliance?
(a) Ignaz Moscheles.
(b) Johann Nepomuk Hummel.
(c) Carl Czerny.
(d) Friedrich Kalkbrenner.
5. What German composer and pianist is considered to have been the most crucial figure in the transitional period between the Classical and Romantic eras in Western classical music?
(a) Ludwig van Beethoven.
(b) Ignacy Jan Paderewski.
(c) Eugene d'Albert.
(d) Theodor Leschetizky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leschetizky identified three elements of being a great pianist that included being a what?
2. What country did Eugene d'Albert consider to be his spiritual home?
3. What was an ill-defined method of balanced playing where stronger emphasized notes were offset by lesser emphasized notes?
4. In what year did Sigismond Thalberg debut in New York and play fifty-six concerts?
5. Who discovered Harold Bauer at twenty playing piano?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)