|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters XIV through XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Johann Hummel born?
2. In what year did Louis Moreau Gottschalk die?
3. What Irish pianist, composer, and teacher was born in Dublin in 1782?
(a) Bartolomeo Cristofori.
(b) Adolf von Henselt.
(c) Muzio Clementi.
(d) John Field.
4. Where was William Sterndale Bennett from?
(a) Great Britain.
(d) The United States.
5. Who freed Hans von Bulow from a lack of spontaneity to become his first great pupil?
(a) Franz Liszt.
(b) Louis Moreau Gottschalk.
(c) Hans von Bulow.
(d) Felix Mendelssohn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who held solo concerts in 1839 Rome?
2. Where did Frédéric Chopin die?
3. Who was the first great pianist who made a clear break with classicism to set romantic pianism on its course?
4. In what year did Sigismond Thalberg debut in New York and play fifty-six concerts?
5. What term is used to describe the mid-eighteenth century disciplined style of piano playing in which the pianist plays notes written by a composer with some flexibility for tasteful improvisation and embellishment?
This section contains 175 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)