|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters XIV through XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was the piano invented?
2. Chopin's music was critiqued as exotic or even insane for its "bold dissonance and strange _____."
3. In what year did Louis Moreau Gottschalk die?
4. What Hungarian composer wildly gesticulated back and forth all over the keyboard when he played?
(a) Bertold Hummel.
(b) Sigismond Thalberg.
(c) Friedrich Chopin.
(d) Franz Liszt.
5. What German pianist, conductor, and composer of Czech birth was a pupil of B. D. Weber in Prague and of Albrechtsberger and Salieri in Vienna?
(a) Ignaz Moscheles.
(b) Adolf von Henselt.
(c) Carl Czerny.
(d) Johann Nepomuk Hummel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pianist was born en route between Cassel and Berlin and played with most superficial brilliance?
2. What pianist never played in public but stayed in Vienna to teach pupils and compose over a thousand published works?
3. When was Frédéric Chopin born?
4. What is an English piano manufacturer founded in 1728 by Burkat Shudi and continued after his death in 1773?
5. A primitive cylinder recording of Brahms was found dated from what year?
This section contains 193 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)