|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters XIV through XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term is used to describe the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century virtuoso style of piano playing in which a pianist plays with expanded flexibility?
2. What pianist was born en route between Cassel and Berlin and played with most superficial brilliance?
(a) Friedrich Kalkbrenner.
(b) Johann Nepomuk Hummel.
(c) Carl Czerny.
(d) Ignaz Moscheles.
3. Who married composer Robert Schumann, wore black in his memory, and was the authority on his music?
(a) Louise Schumann.
(b) Andrea Schumann.
(c) Mary Schumann.
(d) Clara Schumann.
4. In what year did Johannes Sebastian Bach die?
5. Who played melody with his thumbs in the middle of the keyboard while his fingers played arpeggios up and down the keyboard?
(a) Bertold Hummel.
(b) Sigismond Thalberg.
(c) Friedrich Chopin.
(d) Franz Liszt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Old Arpeggio recommended pressing the keys with energy and vigor rather than striking them and kneading tender passages with "fingers of" what?
2. Thalberg fully retired from playing with not even a piano at home in what year?
3. What term refers to a group of eight interrelated notes?
4. When did Louis Moreau Gottschalk die?
5. What German composer and a notable piano virtuoso of the Romantic period studied under Julius Benedict, Carl Czerny, and Simon Sechte?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)