|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters XXIV and XXV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a term used to describe various tools invented to help young piano students learn and practice that included a chiroplast, guide-mains, dactylion to suspend fingers on springs, pocket hand exerciser, and technicon among others that promised perfection with less work?
(a) Etude and arpeggio.
(b) Devices and mechanisms.
(c) Legato and stacatto.
(d) Etudes and scales.
2. Thalberg fully retired from playing with not even a piano at home in what year?
3. What nickname referred to Eugene d'Albert?
(a) "The Maestro."
(c) "Brahma of the Keyboard."
(d) "The Little Giant."
4. Where was Annette Essipoff from?
5. Chopin introduced changes in fingering and what that remained stylish into the next century?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Polish piano-player could not play two correct notes in a row and always played fortissimo?
2. Paderewski did not receive systematic instruction until what age?
3. In what year did the romantic upheaval take place in music?
4. What Irish pianist, composer, and teacher was born in Dublin in 1782?
5. Who embellished a Chopin nocturne, prompting Chopin to tell him to play it as he wrote it or not at all?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)