|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Wang Lung wish to have his second-eldest son apprenticed in Chapter 25?
2. Whom does Wang Lung order to arrange the matter of renting a house in town for his family to move to in Chapter 29?
3. What does Wang Lung's aunt say Lotus "reeks of" when she helps her into her chambers in Chapter 20?
4. What name does the schoolmaster give to Wang Lung's second-eldest son in Chapter 17?
5. Why has the price of grain risen in Chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Wang Lung's uncle's revelation that he is associated with the redbeards in Chapter 23?
2. What decision does Wang Lung make regarding his second-eldest son in Chapter 25?
3. What does O-lan say regarding Cuckoo as she lays dying in Chapter 26?
4. Who looks after the arrangement of Wang Lung's second son's marriage in Chapter 29? How are the arrangements described?
5. How would you describe Wang Lung's sons in Chapter 30? How are each of his sons different?
6. How does Wang Lung's family go about relocating to the city in Chapter 29? Who is the last to leave the land?
7. What is the source of Wang Lung's main conflicts in Chapter 30?
8. What impact does O-lan's illness have on Wang Lung's household in Chapter 26?
9. How does Wang Lung go about arranging to purchase Lotus in Chapter 20?
10. How does Wang Lung perceive his family and children in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the author has chosen to relate the narrative of The Good Earth from a third-person narrator? How would the story differ if it were related from Wang Lung’s point of view? Is the narrator’s perspective limited or omniscient and how does this affect the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of the “poor fool” in The Good Earth. What has caused this character’s mental disabilities? How does Wang Lung feel about this character and what is their relationship like? How is this character perceived by O-lan?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the settings of Wang Lung’s village and the city in the south. Why does Wang Lung’s family relocate to the city during famine? How does Wang Lung perceive the differences of city-dwellers and farmers? Which setting do you relate the most to? Why?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)