|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wang Lung promise to the prostitute who has been visited by Wang Lung's son in Chapter 23?
2. What does Wang Lung decide to do with his eldest son in the end of Chapter 24?
3. Who washes O-lan's body for burial after her death?
4. How long has it been since Wang Lung last saw his eldest son when he comes home to be wed in Chapter 26?
5. Why does Wang Lung's eldest son say he hates his cousin in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wang Lung's family go about relocating to the city in Chapter 29? Who is the last to leave the land?
2. How does Wang Lung respond when he discovers his eldest son in Lotus's court in Chapter 24?
3. Who looks after the arrangement of Wang Lung's second son's marriage in Chapter 29? How are the arrangements described?
4. What does Wang Lung do in preparation for Lotus's arrival at his home in Chapter 20? How is his behavior affected?
5. How does Wang Lung perceive his family and children in Chapter 17?
6. How does Wang Lung perceive Lotus's friendship with his aunt in Chapter 21?
7. How is Lotus Flower described on the picture in the tea shop in Chapter 18?
8. How would you describe Wang Lung's sons in Chapter 30? How are each of his sons different?
9. What does O-lan say regarding Cuckoo as she lays dying in Chapter 26?
10. How does Wang Lung go about arranging to purchase Lotus in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the characters of Wang Lung’s uncle and aunt in The Good Earth. How does Wang Lung differ as a farmer and a businessman from his uncle? How does Wang Lung’s aunt differ from O-lan? Are these characters likable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author’s use of imagery, symbolism, and foreshadowing in The Good Earth. How well do you think the author creates a “vision” of its setting? What are examples of similes, metaphors, and onomatopoeia used in the narrative? How does the author employ foreshadowing to develop tension in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of the “poor fool” in The Good Earth. What has caused this character’s mental disabilities? How does Wang Lung feel about this character and what is their relationship like? How is this character perceived by O-lan?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)