|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of Wang Lung's land is said to be "a lake as deep as a man's shoulders and more" during the floods in Chapter 18?
2. What does Wang Lung decide to do with his eldest son in the end of Chapter 24?
3. Why has the price of grain risen in Chapter 31?
4. How old is Wang Lung's eldest son when Wang sends him to be educated?
5. The narrator says of Lotus in Chapter 24, "... and with her wide eyes and small mouth she looked more than ever like a plump little" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is O-lan's behavior as she lays dying described in Chapter 26?
2. How does Wang Lung's family go about relocating to the city in Chapter 29? Who is the last to leave the land?
3. What causes the flooding in Chapter 27? How does the flooding impact Wang Lung's village?
4. What leads Wang Lung to send his eldest sons away to school in Chapter 17?
5. Whom does Lotus suggest to Wang Lung for an arranged marriage for his son in Chapter 23?
6. What is at the root of the conflict between O-lan and Cuckoo in Chapter 21?
7. What does Wang Lung do in order to gain control over his uncle and his family in Chapter 28?
8. Who looks after the arrangement of Wang Lung's second son's marriage in Chapter 29? How are the arrangements described?
9. What is significant about Wang Lung's uncle's revelation that he is associated with the redbeards in Chapter 23?
10. How is Lotus Flower described on the picture in the tea shop in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impacts of The Good Earth’s publication. How did Americans reading the novel in the late 1930s perceive it? How did the novel change perceptions about the Chinese? How has reading the novel changed your own perceptions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the marriage customs of early twentieth century China as seen in the novel. What were the expected roles of women and men? How were marriages arranged? How would you compare the gender roles established in this culture and society with your own?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of inequality in The Good Earth. What setting reflects this theme the most? How? What do you think is the cause of the inequality seen in the novel? Has inequality been resolved in China? In what ways?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)