|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Wang Lung's uncle when he moves into Wang Lung's home in Chapter 20?
2. How old is the daughter of the grain merchant that Wang Lung seeks for his eldest son's bride in Chapter 23?
3. How does O-lan explain her growing illness to Wang Lung in Chapter 18?
4. Why does Wang Lung not turn away his uncle in Chapter 20?
5. Whom does Wang Lung's second-eldest son say his older brother has been going out with at night in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact does O-lan's illness have on Wang Lung's household in Chapter 26?
2. How is O-lan's behavior as she lays dying described in Chapter 26?
3. What leads Wang Lung to send his eldest sons away to school in Chapter 17?
4. How does Wang Lung perceive his family and children in Chapter 17?
5. How does Wang Lung respond when O-lan warns him of his eldest son visiting Lotus in Chapter 24?
6. How would you describe Wang Lung's sons in Chapter 30? How are each of his sons different?
7. What causes Wang Lung to become restless in Chapter 18?
8. How does Wang Lung respond when he discovers his eldest son in Lotus's court in Chapter 24?
9. What does Wang Lung do in preparation for Lotus's arrival at his home in Chapter 20? How is his behavior affected?
10. How does Wang Lung's family go about relocating to the city in Chapter 29? Who is the last to leave the land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the characters of Wang Lung’s uncle and aunt in The Good Earth. How does Wang Lung differ as a farmer and a businessman from his uncle? How does Wang Lung’s aunt differ from O-lan? Are these characters likable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of superstition, faith, and luck in The Good Earth. What symbolism relates to these themes? What color is symbolic for fortune and luck to Wang Lung? How are these themes developed through character and setting in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the political unrest in China that is seen throughout The Good Earth. What are the causes of the uprisings that take place? How does Wang Lung relate to the political events around him? How do his sons?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)