|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in charge of arranging the marriage for Wang Lung's second-eldest son?
2. What is Cuckoo's job at the tea house in Chapter 18?
3. What color robes do the priests from the Buddhist temple wear that are summoned for O-lan's funeral?
4. How old is Wang Lung's eldest son when Wang sends him to be educated?
5. Who accompanies Wang Lung's uncle when he moves into Wang Lung's home in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wang Lung's young cousin do that causes conflict in Wang Lung's house in Chapter 31?
2. What is at the root of the conflict between O-lan and Cuckoo in Chapter 21?
3. What is significant about Wang Lung's uncle's revelation that he is associated with the redbeards in Chapter 23?
4. How does Wang Lung perceive his family and children in Chapter 17?
5. What decision does Wang Lung make regarding his second-eldest son in Chapter 25?
6. What is the source of Wang Lung's main conflicts in Chapter 30?
7. Whom does Lotus suggest to Wang Lung for an arranged marriage for his son in Chapter 23?
8. How have Wang Lung's business, circumstances, and fate changed in the beginning of Chapter 17?
9. What leads Wang Lung to send his eldest sons away to school in Chapter 17?
10. How is Lotus Flower described on the picture in the tea shop in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Great House of Hwang in The Good Earth. Where is the house located? How is its architecture described? Where do the Old Master and Old Mistress live? Why does Wang Lung visit and revisit the House of Hwang in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the settings of Wang Lung’s village and the city in the south. Why does Wang Lung’s family relocate to the city during famine? How does Wang Lung perceive the differences of city-dwellers and farmers? Which setting do you relate the most to? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of O-lan in The Good Earth. How old is O-lan when she is sold into slavery? What leads to O-lan’s marriage to Wang Lung? Do you think that O-lan is happy to be married? Why or why not? How does O-lan’s character evolve in the course of the narrative?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)