|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What items did Wang Lung's father take to the House of Hwang to secure Wang Lung's marriage to their slave-girl?
2. What presumably happens to Wang Lung's daughter that is born in Chapter 9?
3. What does Wang Lung's father compare drinking tea to in the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. Where did O-lan live as a child?
5. What does O-lan remark to Wang Lung about the child she has just given birth to in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wang Lung perceive his wedding day when he awakens in Chapter 1?
2. How do Wang Lung's circumstances during the winter differ from those of his uncle in Chapter 4?
3. What actions are taken after O-lan gives birth to a son in Chapter 4? Why?
4. What event leads to Wang Lung's decision that he must take his family back to the land in Chapter 12?
5. How has the atmosphere of the city changed in Chapter 14? What has led to the changes?
6. How do Wang Lung and his family reach the city in the south in Chapter 10?
7. What does Wang Lung vow to do in regards to his land in Chapter 6?
8. Describe O-lan's actions when she comes to Wang Lung's home. How does Wang Lung perceive his wife?
9. Where do Wang Lung and O-lan go on the second day of the New Year in Chapter 5?
10. What information does Ching relate to Wang Lung when he returns to his land in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of the “poor fool” in The Good Earth. What has caused this character’s mental disabilities? How does Wang Lung feel about this character and what is their relationship like? How is this character perceived by O-lan?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the characters of Wang Lung’s uncle and aunt in The Good Earth. How does Wang Lung differ as a farmer and a businessman from his uncle? How does Wang Lung’s aunt differ from O-lan? Are these characters likable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning of and the role of family in The Good Earth. What does “family” mean to Wang Lung? How do you think the concept of family is different in the novel from within your own culture? Why do you think it is different?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)