|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are eggs died to celebrate when Wang Lung has a son in Chapter 3?
2. What does O-lan say she was beaten with daily as a slave in Chapter 14?
3. How long has it been since the death of Wang Lung's mother in the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. Wang Lung's uncle says to him in Chapter 7, "I am a man of" what?
5. How much money does Wang Lung pay for the cost of transporting his family to the city in the south in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Wang Lung's circumstances during the winter differ from those of his uncle in Chapter 4?
2. What about Wang Lung's uncle's family vexes Wang Lung in Chapter 7?
3. What event leads to Wang Lung's decision that he must take his family back to the land in Chapter 12?
4. What event leads Wang Lung to stop working as a rickshaw driver in Chapter 14?
5. How does Wang Lung perceive his wedding day when he awakens in Chapter 1?
6. What actions are taken after O-lan gives birth to a son in Chapter 4? Why?
7. What activities take place as the New Year celebration approaches in Chapter 5?
8. What do Wang Lung and his family witness as they pass the House of Hwang in Chapter 10?
9. Why did Wang Lung's father choose a slave for Wang Lung's wife?
10. What does Wang Lung vow to do in regards to his land in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the settings of Wang Lung’s village and the city in the south. Why does Wang Lung’s family relocate to the city during famine? How does Wang Lung perceive the differences of city-dwellers and farmers? Which setting do you relate the most to? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Lotus Flower in the novel. How old do you suppose Lotus is when her character is introduced? Where is she from? How does Lotus differ from O-lan? What attracts Wang Lung to Lotus?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning of and the role of family in The Good Earth. What does “family” mean to Wang Lung? How do you think the concept of family is different in the novel from within your own culture? Why do you think it is different?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)