|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Wang Lung's uncle's daughters while he and his family were in the city?
2. How many silver dollars does Wang Lung have in his purse when he sets out on his wedding day in Chapter 1?
3. Which of the jewels does O-lan ask for and keep for herself when she gives the rest to Wang Lung in Chapter 16?
4. What does Wang Lung go to eat before taking his bride from the House of Hwang in Chapter 1?
5. What does Wang Lung purchase to dye the eggs with in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who brings Wang Lung's wife to him in Chapter 1? How is this character described?
2. What event leads to Wang Lung's decision that he must take his family back to the land in Chapter 12?
3. Where do Wang Lung and O-lan go on the second day of the New Year in Chapter 5?
4. What preparations does Wang Lung make when he returns to his land in Chapter 15?
5. What actions are taken after O-lan gives birth to a son in Chapter 4? Why?
6. How does Wang Lung perceive the city of Kiangsu in Chapter 12?
7. How does Wang Lung perceive his wedding day when he awakens in Chapter 1?
8. What do Wang Lung and his family witness as they pass the House of Hwang in Chapter 10?
9. What activities take place as the New Year celebration approaches in Chapter 5?
10. What leads to Wang Lung purchasing more land from the House of Hwang in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the political unrest in China that is seen throughout The Good Earth. What are the causes of the uprisings that take place? How does Wang Lung relate to the political events around him? How do his sons?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impacts of The Good Earth’s publication. How did Americans reading the novel in the late 1930s perceive it? How did the novel change perceptions about the Chinese? How has reading the novel changed your own perceptions?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the author has chosen to relate the narrative of The Good Earth from a third-person narrator? How would the story differ if it were related from Wang Lung’s point of view? Is the narrator’s perspective limited or omniscient and how does this affect the reader?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)