|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Wang Lung's uncle's daughters while he and his family were in the city?
2. How does Wang Lung respond to the news that O-lan is pregnant in Chapter 2?
3. What are the New Year's cakes called that O-lan makes in Chapter 5?
4. What is sewn onto the front of the hat that O-lin has made for her son when she goes to the House of Hwang in Chapter 5?
5. What does Wang Lung's uncle ask of Wang Lung for his daughter's dowry in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Wang Lung and his family reach the city in the south in Chapter 10?
2. How does O-lan describe the fall of the House of Hwang in Chapter 5?
3. What conflict occurs between Wang Lung and his aunt in Chapter 7?
4. How does Wang Lung respond when he discovers O-lan's jewels in Chapter 16?
5. What is depicted on the fliers that Wang Lung is handed in Chapter 14?
6. What do Wang Lung and his family witness as they pass the House of Hwang in Chapter 10?
7. What event leads to Wang Lung's decision that he must take his family back to the land in Chapter 12?
8. What activities take place as the New Year celebration approaches in Chapter 5?
9. What actions are taken after O-lan gives birth to a son in Chapter 4? Why?
10. How does Wang Lung perceive the city of Kiangsu in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the characters of Wang Lung’s uncle and aunt in The Good Earth. How does Wang Lung differ as a farmer and a businessman from his uncle? How does Wang Lung’s aunt differ from O-lan? Are these characters likable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the settings of Wang Lung’s village and the city in the south. Why does Wang Lung’s family relocate to the city during famine? How does Wang Lung perceive the differences of city-dwellers and farmers? Which setting do you relate the most to? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the author has chosen to relate the narrative of The Good Earth from a third-person narrator? How would the story differ if it were related from Wang Lung’s point of view? Is the narrator’s perspective limited or omniscient and how does this affect the reader?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)