|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wang Lung's uncle ask of Wang Lung for his daughter's dowry in Chapter 7?
2. Who has stolen the pork meat that Wang Lung discovers being cooked in his hut in Chapter 12?
3. Which of the jewels does O-lan ask for and keep for herself when she gives the rest to Wang Lung in Chapter 16?
4. What food does Ching give to Wang Lung before Wang's family departs for the south in Chapter 9?
5. What does Wang Lung purchase to burn on the eve of the new year in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the atmosphere of the city changed in Chapter 14? What has led to the changes?
2. How does O-lan describe the fall of the House of Hwang in Chapter 5?
3. What information does Wang Lung learn from others on the train in Chapter 11?
4. Describe O-lan's actions when she comes to Wang Lung's home. How does Wang Lung perceive his wife?
5. How does Wang Lung respond when he discovers O-lan's jewels in Chapter 16?
6. What does Wang Lung vow to do in regards to his land in Chapter 6?
7. How does Wang Lung's uncle respond when Wang Lung yells at him in Chapter 7?
8. What information does Ching relate to Wang Lung when he returns to his land in Chapter 15?
9. What does Wang Lung's father complain about in Chapter 1?
10. How does Wang Lung perceive his wedding day when he awakens in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Wang Lung’s homestead in the novel. How does this setting evolve and change in the course of the narrative? What does Wang Lung’s land represent for him symbolically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of morality and necessity in The Good Earth. When does morality come into question in the course of the story? What leads this questioning? What morals do you feel the author expresses through Wang Lung’s narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impacts of The Good Earth’s publication. How did Americans reading the novel in the late 1930s perceive it? How did the novel change perceptions about the Chinese? How has reading the novel changed your own perceptions?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)