|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the silk depictions of women on the walls of the tea house, Wang Lung says in Chapter 18, "I thought they were pictures of dream women, of goddesses in the mountain of" where?
(a) Kwen Lwen.
2. The narrator says in Chapter 23, "When there was a thing to be done, Cuckoo smelled the money in it as a rat smells" what?
3. What does O-lan refuse to leave out for Cuckoo in the mornings in Chapter 21?
(a) Cleaning materials.
(c) Hot water.
4. How much of Wang Lung's land is said to be "a lake as deep as a man's shoulders and more" during the floods in Chapter 18?
5. By what name does Wang Lung's young cousin the soldier refer to Lotus in Chapter 31?
(a) "Old Courtesan."
(b) "White Flower."
(c) "Old Mistress."
(d) "Rough Hind."
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Wang Lung turn over all his financial matters in Chapter 30?
2. Why does Wang Lung's eldest son say he hates his cousin in Chapter 27?
3. Why has the price of grain risen in Chapter 31?
4. Whom does Wang Lung describe as "the keeper of" Lotus in Chapter 20?
5. What is the one great regret that Wang Lung feels as he departs O-lan's funeral in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Lotus suggest to Wang Lung for an arranged marriage for his son in Chapter 23?
2. What does Wang Lung do in order to gain control over his uncle and his family in Chapter 28?
3. What is significant about Wang Lung's uncle's revelation that he is associated with the redbeards in Chapter 23?
4. What does Wang Lung do in preparation for Lotus's arrival at his home in Chapter 20? How is his behavior affected?
5. What is at the root of the conflict between O-lan and Cuckoo in Chapter 21?
6. What decision does Wang Lung make regarding his second-eldest son in Chapter 25?
7. How does Wang Lung respond when O-lan warns him of his eldest son visiting Lotus in Chapter 24?
8. How does Wang Lung perceive Lotus's friendship with his aunt in Chapter 21?
9. What does Wang Lung's young cousin do that causes conflict in Wang Lung's house in Chapter 31?
10. What does O-lan say regarding Cuckoo as she lays dying in Chapter 26?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)