|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wang Lung tell O-lan he would do if only it would heal her in Chapter 26?
(a) He would sell his daughters.
(b) He would move into town.
(c) He would sell all his land.
(d) He would leave Lotus.
2. Why does Wang Lung make his eldest sons work in his fields each day in Chapter 17?
(a) So they will not become idle and spoiled.
(b) So they will obey him.
(c) So they will become scholars.
(d) So they will fear him.
3. When O-lan summons Cuckoo to her death bed in Chapter 26, she tells her that Cuckoo is what?
(a) "Like a daughter."
(b) "A beautiful and faithful maid."
(c) "A lovely girl."
(d) "Still a slave."
4. What does Wang Lung purchase for the "goddess of mercy" after his grandson is born in Chapter 29?
(a) A blue candle.
(b) A new robe.
(c) A silver ring.
(d) A gold crown.
5. Why does Wang Lung not turn away his uncle in Chapter 20?
(a) Because O-lan has died.
(b) Because it would be shameful.
(c) Because his aunt is dying.
(d) Because his uncle owes him money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is described as the color of mourning that Wang Lung and his family wears after O-lan's death?
2. What does Wang Lung demand from O-lan to give to Lotus in Chapter 19?
3. How far away does the maid live that is arranged to marry Wang Lung's second-eldest son in Chapter 29?
4. Why has the price of grain risen in Chapter 31?
5. How does O-lan explain her growing illness to Wang Lung in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wang Lung perceive Lotus's friendship with his aunt in Chapter 21?
2. How does Wang Lung respond when he discovers his eldest son in Lotus's court in Chapter 24?
3. What leads Wang Lung to send his eldest sons away to school in Chapter 17?
4. How have Wang Lung's business, circumstances, and fate changed in the beginning of Chapter 17?
5. Whom does Lotus suggest to Wang Lung for an arranged marriage for his son in Chapter 23?
6. How would you describe Wang Lung's sons in Chapter 30? How are each of his sons different?
7. What does Wang Lung do in order to gain control over his uncle and his family in Chapter 28?
8. What impact does O-lan's illness have on Wang Lung's household in Chapter 26?
9. What does O-lan say regarding Cuckoo as she lays dying in Chapter 26?
10. How does Wang Lung go about arranging to purchase Lotus in Chapter 20?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)