|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Wang Lung give silver to his uncle's son in Chapter 29?
(a) To fund his father's funeral.
(b) To fund his college education.
(c) To prepare to go to war in the north.
(d) To fund his trip to the city in the south.
2. Of the silk depictions of women on the walls of the tea house, Wang Lung says in Chapter 18, "I thought they were pictures of dream women, of goddesses in the mountain of" where?
(c) Kwen Lwen.
3. Who stays with Wang Lung on his land before they depart to move into the townhouse in Chapter 29?
(b) Wang Lung's eldest son.
(d) Wang Lung's youngest son.
4. What primary color is worn by the bride and groom at Wang Lung's son's wedding in Chapter 26?
5. Who is the first to discover and announce Wang Lung's love for another woman in Chapter 20?
(c) Wang Lung's uncle.
(d) Wang Lung's aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wang Lung purchase for the "goddess of mercy" after his grandson is born in Chapter 29?
2. What does Wang Lung's aunt say Lotus "reeks of" when she helps her into her chambers in Chapter 20?
3. For how long does Wang Lung refrain from going into town due to his anger after his uncle has moved onto his land in Chapter 20?
4. How far away does the maid live that is arranged to marry Wang Lung's second-eldest son in Chapter 29?
5. Where does the grain merchant live that Wang Lung has betrothed his eldest son to in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wang Lung go about arranging to purchase Lotus in Chapter 20?
2. How have Wang Lung's business, circumstances, and fate changed in the beginning of Chapter 17?
3. What is at the root of the conflict between O-lan and Cuckoo in Chapter 21?
4. Whom does Lotus suggest to Wang Lung for an arranged marriage for his son in Chapter 23?
5. What impact does O-lan's illness have on Wang Lung's household in Chapter 26?
6. What leads Wang Lung to send his eldest sons away to school in Chapter 17?
7. How does Wang Lung perceive his family and children in Chapter 17?
8. How does Wang Lung respond when O-lan warns him of his eldest son visiting Lotus in Chapter 24?
9. How does Wang Lung's family go about relocating to the city in Chapter 29? Who is the last to leave the land?
10. What is significant about Wang Lung's uncle's revelation that he is associated with the redbeards in Chapter 23?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)