|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Wang Lung to become angry with Lotus in Chapter 21?
(a) Lotus curses his children.
(b) Lotus scolds O-lan.
(c) Lotus sleeps with Ching.
(d) Lotus leaves the house.
2. What color robes do the priests from the Taoist temple wear that come to lead O-lan's and Wang Lung's father's funeral?
3. For whom does Wang Lung buy a coffin for also when he purchases one for O-lan in Chapter 26?
(a) For his father.
(b) For his daughter.
(c) For his uncle.
(d) For his niece.
4. Who is the first to discover and announce Wang Lung's love for another woman in Chapter 20?
(a) Wang Lung's aunt.
(c) Wang Lung's uncle.
5. The narrator says of Lotus in Chapter 24, "... and with her wide eyes and small mouth she looked more than ever like a plump little" what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What drastic act does Wang Lung do in order to impress Lotus in Chapter 19?
2. What is the name of the tea shop where Lotus lives as a prostitute?
3. What does Wang Lung's aunt say Lotus "reeks of" when she helps her into her chambers in Chapter 20?
4. What does Wang Lung have built for Cuckoo due to the adversity between her and O-lan in Chapter 21?
5. Why has the price of grain risen in Chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Wang Lung make regarding his second-eldest son in Chapter 25?
2. How is Lotus's arrival at Wang Lung's home described in Chapter 20? Who is present for her arrival?
3. What does Wang Lung do in order to gain control over his uncle and his family in Chapter 28?
4. How does Wang Lung respond when O-lan warns him of his eldest son visiting Lotus in Chapter 24?
5. What is at the root of the conflict between O-lan and Cuckoo in Chapter 21?
6. Whom does Lotus suggest to Wang Lung for an arranged marriage for his son in Chapter 23?
7. How is Lotus Flower described on the picture in the tea shop in Chapter 18?
8. How would you describe Wang Lung's sons in Chapter 30? How are each of his sons different?
9. How is O-lan's behavior as she lays dying described in Chapter 26?
10. Who looks after the arrangement of Wang Lung's second son's marriage in Chapter 29? How are the arrangements described?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)