|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man Ranofer meets on the way home do for a living?
2. What does Ranofer decide to do?
3. How closely does Gebu inspect the work in the stone shop?
4. How does Ranofer decide he can get away from Gebu?
5. What does Rekh promise Ranofer at work the day after the hangings?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ranofer run into Heqet and what does Heqet suggest?
2. What does Ranofer tell Heqet and what do they decide?
3. What does Ranofer say to Zau and what is his response?
4. Who does Ranofer offer advice to and why? Who overhears him?
5. How does Ranofer feel about his thoughts on Ibni and Gebu by the end of the day? What does he want to do and why does he not want to do it?
6. What does Gebu ask Ranofer and how does he respond? What does Gebu tell Ranofer?
7. Where is Heqet going after lunch one day and what does he say to Ranofer?
8. Who does Ranofer see on the way to work and what happens when they talk?
9. How does Ranofer feel after his first day on his new job and what is his boss like?
10. How does Ranofer feel when he wakes after his confrontation with Gebu? Why does he feel that way? How does Ranofer walk to work and what does he do on the way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ranofer is working as a porter in Rekh, the goldsmith's shop. Ranofer would rather be an apprentice but his half-brother, Gebu, will not pay the required fees. In fact, Ranofer is forced to hand over all his pay to Gebu.
1. Why do you think Gebu will not pay Ranofer's apprentice fee, besides the obvious that he will not part with the money? Explain what other reasons he could have. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What would you do if you were in Ranofer's position in the above sentence? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss what the above sentence illustrates about Gebu's and Ranofer's relationship. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Chose one of the following pairs and compare and contrast the characters:
1. Ibni with Heqet.
2. The Ancient with Gebu.
3. Heqet and Ranofer.
Essay Topic 3
Ranofer day dreams about finding a great deal of gold hidden away by a person a long time ago. He thinks about all the things he would do with that gold, including paying his fee to become a student to Zau the Master. Zau was once a friend of Ranofer's father and said he would teach Ranofer one day. Ranofer's father was once a great goldsmith and he fully believes that one day he will be too.
1. Why do you think Ranofer daydreams? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Compare Ranofer's day dreaming to people in this society who day dream about winning the lottery.
3. Do you think it is realistic of Ranofer to believe he will be a great goldsmith someday? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)