|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ranofer decide later in the week about Ibni?
2. What does Gebu give Ranofer for dinner?
3. What job does Ranofer have in Rekh?
4. How often does Gebu come to the shop?
5. What does Gebu tell Ranofer in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ranofer do with the wineskin the day he meets with Heqet? How does his brother respond and what does Ranofer hear his brother say?
2. About what do Ranofer and Heqet argue and how does the Ancient settle the argument?
3. What do Heqet and Ranofer do when the Ancient joins them for lunch?
4. How does Ranofer run into Heqet and what does Heqet suggest?
5. How does Ranofer feel after his first day on his new job and what is his boss like?
6. Where is Heqet going after lunch one day and what does he say to Ranofer?
7. What does Ranofer do when he finally arrives home?
8. What does Ranofer complain about to his two friends and what is the Ancient's response?
9. What does Gebu ask Ranofer and how does he respond? What does Gebu tell Ranofer?
10. How does Ranofer feel about his thoughts on Ibni and Gebu by the end of the day? What does he want to do and why does he not want to do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ranofer day dreams about finding a great deal of gold hidden away by a person a long time ago. He thinks about all the things he would do with that gold, including paying his fee to become a student to Zau the Master. Zau was once a friend of Ranofer's father and said he would teach Ranofer one day. Ranofer's father was once a great goldsmith and he fully believes that one day he will be too.
1. Why do you think Ranofer daydreams? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Compare Ranofer's day dreaming to people in this society who day dream about winning the lottery.
3. Do you think it is realistic of Ranofer to believe he will be a great goldsmith someday? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Chose one of the following pairs and compare and contrast the characters:
1. Ibni with Heqet.
2. The Ancient with Gebu.
3. Heqet and Ranofer.
Essay Topic 3
The story has come to a good ending, fulfilling the moral that being honest is the only way to get everything that a person might want.
1. How did you feel about the book ending without finding out what happened to Gebu?
2. Do you think the above moral is true? Do all honest people get everything a person might want? Why or why not?
3. If one said that hard work is the only way to get everything a person might want how would that statement conflict with the above statement?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)