|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ranofer decide later in the week about Ibni?
(a) He is wrong for his sister.
(b) He will make Ranofer a party to his schemes.
(c) He is a good person.
(d) He is taking advantage of Ranofer.
2. What does the foreman do if Ranofer looks idle?
(a) Make fun of him to the others.
(b) Beats him.
(c) Throws water on him.
(d) Pushes him to the ground.
3. Why does Ranofer feel hurt when Heqet questions him?
(a) His inability to be an apprentice.
(b) Being looked down upon.
(c) Not being able to answer the truth because he doesn't know it.
(d) His brother's behavior towards him.
4. What does Rekh ask Ranofer?
(a) How he would make a box.
(b) How he would pour gold.
(c) How he would make ornamental leaves.
(d) How to make charcoal.
5. How does Heqet respond to Ranofer's request in Chapter 4?
(a) He says maybe.
(b) He says he'll have to think about it.
(c) He says no.
(d) He agrees.
6. Where does Ranofer go on the way home?
(a) To the stables.
(b) To the river.
(c) To the market.
(d) To his sister's house.
7. What does Ranofer tell Heqet about as they work?
(a) His father's shop.
(b) Ibni and Gebu.
(c) His mother's death.
(d) His father's death.
8. Why does Ranofer believe he will be a great goldsmith some day?
(a) Rekh thinks he has good hands for the job.
(b) Zau said he had the talent.
(c) His brother is a good one.
(d) HIs father was one.
9. How are the holes made in the stone?
(a) With a drill.
(b) With acid.
(c) By dripping water.
(d) With a chisel.
10. What does Ranofer realize when he sees someone eating by the apprentice's quarters?
(a) His brother gives him little food.
(b) He has had little to eat lately.
(c) He forgot to eat breakfast.
(d) He was supposed to shop for food yesterday.
11. What does Ranofer remind Zau of when he sees him one day?
(a) His wife likes Ranofer.
(b) He has known him all his life.
(c) He promised Ranofer he could be his student.
(d) He was a friend of his father's.
12. How does Ranofer feel towards the end of the conversation with Heqet?
(d) Like he has a friend.
13. Why do you think the scene with the hanging men might have been put into Chapter 3?
(a) To put some action into the story.
(b) So there will be at least one death in the book.
(c) As foreshadowing.
(d) To show what happens to thieves.
14. What does Ranofer find when he goes home the day after the hangings?
(a) Ibni arrested for theft.
(b) Gebu arrested for theft.
(c) Ibni and Gebu arguing.
(d) His clothes in the street.
15. Where does Gebu usually go when he comes in the shop?
(a) To the cutting table.
(b) To the eating room.
(c) To the scroll room.
(d) To watch Ranofer work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gebu tell Ranofer in Chapter 3?
2. What does Gebu give Ranofer for dinner?
3. What does Heqet suggest to Ranofer when they see each other one day?
4. What does Heqet ask Ranofer?
5. What does Ranofer decide to do?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)