|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ranofer decide later in the week about Ibni?
(a) He will make Ranofer a party to his schemes.
(b) He is taking advantage of Ranofer.
(c) He is a good person.
(d) He is wrong for his sister.
2. What does Ranofer want to do?
(a) Leave home.
(b) Tell Rekkh what is going on.
(c) Become a merchant.
(d) Get in on the scheme.
3. What does the old man encourage Ranofer to do?
(a) Come and work for him.
(b) Find a wife.
(c) Go home to be safe.
(d) Strike out on his own.
4. Why does Ranofer feel hurt when Heqet questions him?
(a) His brother's behavior towards him.
(b) His inability to be an apprentice.
(c) Being looked down upon.
(d) Not being able to answer the truth because he doesn't know it.
5. What does Rekh ask Ranofer to do?
(a) Take a necklace to a woman.
(b) Draw a design for a bracelet.
(c) Make more charcoal.
(d) A task that only an apprentice would do.
6. With what does Ranofer help Heqet?
(a) Pack up the merchandise.
(b) Carry water.
(c) Clean gold scrapings.
(d) Spin the wheel.
7. Where do master goldsmiths live?
(a) No where in particular.
(b) In the center of the market place.
(c) Near the palace wall.
(d) On a road all their own.
8. Why is Ranofer not able to be an apprentice?
(a) He is of the wrong class.
(b) He is too old.
(c) His brother will not pay the fees.
(d) He is too young.
9. Why do you think the scene with the hanging men might have been put into Chapter 3?
(a) To show what happens to thieves.
(b) So there will be at least one death in the book.
(c) To put some action into the story.
(d) As foreshadowing.
10. Who overhears Ranofer talking to the apprentice?
11. What do Heqet and Ranofer talk about in relation to Gebu?
(a) If Ibni is workiing with him again.
(b) Whether he's really Ranofer's brother.
(c) Who he is stealing from now.
(d) How they can get rid of him.
12. When Ranofer complains to the Ancient about his job what does the Ancient say?
(a) His brother has his reasons.
(b) Things could be worse.
(c) He should run away.
(d) He is lucky to be learning a skill.
13. What does Rekh promise Ranofer at work the day after the hangings?
(a) To have him craft more gold leaves.
(b) To have him help the apprentices more.
(c) To not hold him responsible for Ibni's stealing.
(d) To make him an apprentice.
14. What is Ranofer often tempted to do when working?
(a) Go to sleep.
(c) Run away.
15. What does Ranofer take with him when he leaves for work the next morning in Chapter 4?
(a) His small breakfast.
(b) A drawing he made for jewelry.
(c) All his spare clothes.
(d) His walking stick.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the days in the stone-cutting shop pass for Ranofer?
2. What does Ranofer think the noise he hears in the night must be?
3. What does Zau tell Ranofer?
4. What does Gebu tell Ranofer in Chapter 3?
5. What does Ranofer have to do with his pay?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)