|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlotte tell Mr. Verver that she dislikes in Book Second Chapter 6?
2. How does Maggie view her father's outlook on life?
3. How does Fanny travel home in Chapter 3 of Book Third?
4. What is the Prince sure of as of Book First Chapter 1?
5. What does the Prince notice about Fanny while they talk in Book First Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. After her conversation with the Prince at the party in Book Third Chapter 2, how does Fanny feel about him?
2. What does Fanny discuss with her husband in Book First Chapter 4?
3. What does Maggie share with the Prince about her father when the conversation turns to the romantic outlook of Americans?
4. Maggie's father notices that Maggie has something on her mind in Book Second Chapter 4. What is it?
5. What does the Prince want to find out from Charlotte after she arrives at Fanny's in Book First Chapter 3?
6. What does the Prince think about during his carriage ride to Fanny's?
7. What does Charlotte confess to the Prince while they sat in the park in Book First Chapter 5?
8. What does the reader learn about Adam's relationship with his wife?
9. How did Maggie and her father become knowledgeable on the subject of the Prince's family history?
10. What does Bob suggest after listening to his wife's worries about the relationship between the Prince and Charlotte in Book Third Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze James's use of irony. What are the different types of irony? Are there examples of each type in the novel? What are some examples of irony in the novel? What do these examples mean?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the characters Charlotte Stant and Maggie Verver. What are their defining character traits? What similarities and differences do these characters have? Are they friends?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Maggie's character growth throughout the novel. What causes her to grow as a character? In what ways does she grow? How does her marriage to the Prince and the problems they have help her grow? In what way did her relationship with her father stunt her emotional growth?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)