|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charlotte want to notice that she is together with the Prince at the party?
2. What does Fanny think of the timing of Charlotte's visit to London?
3. According to Fanny, why did the Prince and Charlotte never marry?
4. What are Charlotte and the Prince discussing when Fanny returns to the room in Book First Chapter 3?
5. What is Maggie ashamed about during her conversation with the Prince in Book First Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Prince and Charlotte feel no guilt about their adulterous relationship?
2. What are the Prince and Charlotte discussing when Fanny returns to the room in Book First Chapter 3?
3. What are the Prince and Maggie discussing at the beginning of the novel?
4. What does the Prince feel lonely for in Book Second Chapter 3?
5. How does Mr.Verver come to the realization that he should marry Charlotte?
6. Why is the Prince feeling fearful in Book First Chapter 2?
7. What does Maggie share with the Prince about her father when the conversation turns to the romantic outlook of Americans?
8. What does the Prince want to find out from Charlotte after she arrives at Fanny's in Book First Chapter 3?
9. Why do the female guests at Fawns leave in Book Second Chapter 5?
10. What does Bob suggest after listening to his wife's worries about the relationship between the Prince and Charlotte in Book Third Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of marriage in the novel "The Golden Bowl." Why do the Prince and Charlotte wish to marry one another? Why do Adam and Charlotte decide to marry one another? Are the marriages successful? What problems do the characters experience in their marriages? How do they solve these problems?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character the Prince. What are his defining character traits? What is his background? Why does he desire wealth so much? Is he happy? How does he treat those around him?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Charlotte and Adam. Is their marriage a happy one? Why did they decide to marry? What do they admire about one another? What problems exist in their marriage? Are they able to overcome these problems?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)