|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the person offering to relocate Nick arrange to send him to?
2. When Nick's father tells Nick that they need to discuss important business, where do they decide to hold that meeting?
3. What is the name that Francesca and Billy's oldest son goes by?
4. Who does Michael invite to attend the Inaugural Ball with him?
5. How old is Sonny when he enters the "family business"?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Francesca returns home after killing her husband, why does Kathy get on a bus and leave town instead of staying to help her sister grieve?
2. According to Forlenza's information, why is Nick's plane sabotaged?
3. While the women are preparing dinner at the Corleone compound in Lake Tahoe, Tom and Michael discuss Billy Van Arsdale's career. Why has Billy's career stalled?
4. When she's six months pregnant, Francesca feels unloved and trapped in her marriage. Why?
5. Michael confesses his fears of what will happen if they are unsuccessful in gaining control of the Cuban casinos. What does Michael fear?
6. After Joe leaves Michael's suite and Tom and Michael are once again alone, why does Tom threaten to quit?
7. Why is Tom surprised by the results of the background check he conducts on Lucadello?
8. As the book closes, Michael is looking out his window at the New York skyline. What is Michael thinking about?
9. Explain why Michael and Nick have ended 1961 in a stalemate.
10. According to the conversation between Nick and his father, why does Sal suggest that Forlenza hide Nick after the plane crash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no doubt that Francesca has been greatly affected by having the Corleone name, as well as when she learns the truth about her family's history and real identity. Discuss how Francesca's last name affects her relationship with Billy. How does having the Corleone name affect Francesca's mental state, her ability to reason, her ability to trust, and her overall self-image?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Nick changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Nick's character when he first "proves his loyalty" to Michael as the story opens, when his plane goes down off of Rattlesnake Island, when he becomes the Corleone family's new Don, and when he returns to Rattlesnake Island to hide. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they impact the story's plot, as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what impact would their absence have on the story line, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)