|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in New York, who dies from a heart attack while standing over a hot grill?
2. Who does Michael appoint to help his successor transition into his new role?
3. After Nick's father arrives in New York, the family explores the city together. What do they do?
4. Who helps to cover up the involvement of the Corleone's in the failed Castro assassination attempt?
5. After Cuba drags its feet on Marino's extradition, how does the government reveal that Marino has died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Fredo ultimately agree to give the Chicago mobsters information on his brother in exchange for their participation in Colma East?
2. According to what Kay tells Michael at the Inaugural Ball, why does she leave their marriage?
3. Even though Michael is moving into semi-retirement, he insists on keeping his seat on the Commission. Why?
4. While the women are preparing dinner at the Corleone compound in Lake Tahoe, Tom and Michael discuss Billy Van Arsdale's career. Why has Billy's career stalled?
5. When Nick and his men meet in Cleveland with Don Forlenza, why does Nick convince the Don to keep Sal Narducci alive for the time being?
6. When she's six months pregnant, Francesca feels unloved and trapped in her marriage. Why?
7. As the book closes, Michael is looking out his window at the New York skyline. What is Michael thinking about?
8. As Chapter 20 begins, Fredo's wife implies that their marriage is simply a cover for Fredo's homosexuality. She leaves the room without incident, but then Fredo destroys everything in the room. Why?
9. Why does Michael make it a point to attend the funeral for baby Carmela, even though neither Francesca's twin sister nor Billy's parents attend the funeral?
10. Describe the semi-retirement arrangement that Michael tells Nick he's putting into place as he turns the day-to-day reins over to Nick.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Francesca and Kathy have been raised in the same environment and denied the same knowledge about their family's history during the formative years of their lives. While they grow into different women, the twins have a special relationship that ebbs and flows as the plot moves forward.
a. Compare and contrast the twins in terms of their attitudes and relationships.
b. Discuss how the twins' relationship was tested at the following times: when they left for college, when Francesca began seeing Billy, and when Francesca killed Billy.
c. Why might Winegardner have chosen to have these characters be twins, and not just sisters? What point is he trying to get across? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Nick changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Nick's character when he first "proves his loyalty" to Michael as the story opens, when his plane goes down off of Rattlesnake Island, when he becomes the Corleone family's new Don, and when he returns to Rattlesnake Island to hide. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The entire story takes place primarily in several different locations. Compare and contrast each of the following locations in the story - New York, Las Vegas, and Lake Tahoe. Be sure to include how the characters are treated in each of these locations, as well as how they live and interact with each other. Of the three above locations in the story, which location would you most prefer to live in and why?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)