|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At a press conference following the Inaugural Ball, who is being hammered by reporters?
2. Michael is worried that without the money from the casinos in Cuba that another family will become too powerful. Who is Michael worried about?
3. Who does Vito enter into business with the day after Michael is born?
4. When Michael and Tom are in Michael's suite discussing the fourth man's proposed hit, who does Michael propose that the men use as a puppet in their plot?
5. Who does Russo's killer nod at when he's ready to commence the attack on the Chicago Don?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though Michael is moving into semi-retirement, he insists on keeping his seat on the Commission. Why?
2. When Joe shows up at Nick's house after the failed assassination attempt on Castro, what does Joe tell Nick?
3. What does Michael learn on Parris Island that would prove to have a lasting impact on the people around him?
4. Why does Fredo ultimately agree to give the Chicago mobsters information on his brother in exchange for their participation in Colma East?
5. As Chapter 20 begins, Fredo's wife implies that their marriage is simply a cover for Fredo's homosexuality. She leaves the room without incident, but then Fredo destroys everything in the room. Why?
6. After receiving the upsetting phone call and sending Kathy and Sonny out to dinner, what does Francesca realize that Kathy has been right about?
7. When Nick and his men meet in Cleveland with Don Forlenza, why does Nick convince the Don to keep Sal Narducci alive for the time being?
8. According to the conversation between Nick and his father, why does Sal suggest that Forlenza hide Nick after the plane crash?
9. Why is Tom surprised by the results of the background check he conducts on Lucadello?
10. While the women are preparing dinner at the Corleone compound in Lake Tahoe, Tom and Michael discuss Billy Van Arsdale's career. Why has Billy's career stalled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many characters introduced in the story who do not survive until the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have - or should have - been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
There are many attempts by Michael to leave the family business and go legitimate. Identify at least three of Michael's attempts to go legitimate. How do these situations differ? How are these situations similar? Overall, how successful are Michael's attempts to become a legitimate business man? Could Michael ever have been truly legitimate? Why or why not? Support your reasoning with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Don Forlenza with Don Russo.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might their experiences with Michael have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)