|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the authorities identify the body of a man found at the bottom of a ravine as Gerald O'Malley?
2. What is the name of the Don who runs Chicago?
3. When a meeting of the Commission is finally called, how much time has passed between Commission meetings?
4. What is the name of the hostage that the Corleones are holding until the Commission meeting is concluded?
5. Who becomes the new Don of Los Angeles?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Michael opens up and shares some of his secrets with Kay as they fly on to Rome, what does Kay finally realize about herself?
2. As she begins her college life, why does Francesca come to regret not joining a sorority?
3. Why will Tom Hagen not be present at the next Commission meeting?
4. Why does Russo orchestrate the suicide-homicide hit that is supposed to ensnare Fredo?
5. Why do the rest of the Mafia families consider Chicago to be the "black sheep" of the Mafia?
6. At the meeting on Rattlesnake Island, Nick plays up his image of a dumb tough guy. Why?
7. How is Francesca changed after she and Billy spend the afternoon in the hotel room on their trip from college for the Christmas holidays?
8. Why does Michael choose Pete Clemenza as his consigliere for the Commission meeting?
9. What is the purpose of Doomtown?
10. When Johnny examines the item that was given to him to hand carry to Michael, what does he discover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The entire story takes place primarily in several different locations. Compare and contrast each of the following locations in the story - New York, Las Vegas, and Lake Tahoe. Be sure to include how the characters are treated in each of these locations, as well as how they live and interact with each other. Of the three above locations in the story, which location would you most prefer to live in and why?
Essay Topic 2
There is no doubt that Francesca has been greatly affected by having the Corleone name, as well as when she learns the truth about her family's history and real identity. Discuss how Francesca's last name affects her relationship with Billy. How does having the Corleone name affect Francesca's mental state, her ability to reason, her ability to trust, and her overall self-image?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Nick changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Nick's character when he first "proves his loyalty" to Michael as the story opens, when his plane goes down off of Rattlesnake Island, when he becomes the Corleone family's new Don, and when he returns to Rattlesnake Island to hide. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)