|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time passes between the Tattaglia/Barzini murders and the Clemenza-Zaluchi wedding?
2. Who does Tom spot coming out of the convention that he would have preferred to avoid?
3. Which one of the following people does NOT know that Nick is really Gerald O'Malley?
4. Against Michael's wishes, where does Kay insist that they go on their vacation?
5. According to the conversation between Fredo and Michael at Francesca and Billy's wedding, who is responsible for destroying the Lake Tahoe house?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Michael and Kay return to Las Vegas from Lake Tahoe, why is Kay upset?
2. As Michael opens up and shares some of his secrets with Kay as they fly on to Rome, what does Kay finally realize about herself?
3. Contrast Francesca's beliefs about her father and also her uncle's death versus the truth.
4. Why is Russo threatened by Michael's desire to move his headquarters from New York to Las Vegas?
5. According to Fredo's questioning of Michael at Francesca and Billy's wedding, why is the Lake Tahoe house burned down?
6. Explain how and why orders are typically given in the Corleone crime family.
7. What happens when the two men board the plane just as it lands at Kay's vacation destination? Why does this upset Kay?
8. Why is Russo blamed for engineering the plane crash off of Rattlesnake Island?
9. Why are pigs present in Doomtown?
10. Why does Johnny leave Los Angeles instead of continuing to work with Cy Milner as he wants to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Francesca and Kathy have been raised in the same environment and denied the same knowledge about their family's history during the formative years of their lives. While they grow into different women, the twins have a special relationship that ebbs and flows as the plot moves forward.
a. Compare and contrast the twins in terms of their attitudes and relationships.
b. Discuss how the twins' relationship was tested at the following times: when they left for college, when Francesca began seeing Billy, and when Francesca killed Billy.
c. Why might Winegardner have chosen to have these characters be twins, and not just sisters? What point is he trying to get across? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the groups of people trying to gain control of the Cuban casinos. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Does any one group of people actually end up controlling the Cuban casinos? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
The Mafia bosses use many different tactics to rule their territories and keep their people in line.
a. Identify three tactics used by the Mafia bosses to rule their territories and keep their people in line.
b. For each tactic identified, explain why the Dons use this method of control.
c. Compare and contrast these tactics in terms of their operational style, level of involvement, and operational success or failure.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)