|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting on the island for Nick when the plane lands?
2. What is the relationship between Nick and Don Forlenza?
3. Where does Johnny Fontane grow up?
4. What is the name of the woman waiting for Fredo in his hotel room?
5. Who orchestrates the supposed murder-suicide in which Fredo is supposed to be killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Russo blamed for engineering the plane crash off of Rattlesnake Island?
2. Why does Kathy encourage Francesca to not join a sorority as she begins college?
3. Contrast Francesca's beliefs about her father and also her uncle's death versus the truth.
4. What happens when the two men board the plane just as it lands at Kay's vacation destination? Why does this upset Kay?
5. What is the purpose of Doomtown?
6. What shocks Tom upon his arrival in Washington D.C.?
7. Why are pigs present in Doomtown?
8. When the police officer shows up to rescue Fredo from the customs officials, Fredo asks the officer to turn down the radio. Why does that request prove to be unfortunate for Fredo?
9. Explain why Kay barely knows how to speak to her husband of five years.
10. Why does Nick decide to join the Corleone organization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While each Don runs his own territory and family business, all of the Dons belong to the Commission.
a. Discuss the role of the Commission in the day-to-day operations of the Corleone family business.
b. Does the Commission evolve as the story moves on?
c. How do the relationships of the Dons change as the Commission changes?
d. Is the Commission an important or an outdated institution? Be sure to explain your reasoning and support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Nick changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Nick's character when he first "proves his loyalty" to Michael as the story opens, when his plane goes down off of Rattlesnake Island, when he becomes the Corleone family's new Don, and when he returns to Rattlesnake Island to hide. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Michael Corleone, Don Forlenza, Pete Clemenza, and Louie Russo.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)