|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Fredo arrives at his hotel room, he finds a young woman waiting for him. Who sends the young woman to Fredo's room?
2. Who does Johnny Fontane call while he is in Los Angeles recording his new album?
3. How much longer does Fredo live after the day he is rescued from the customs officials by the police officer?
4. When Michael summons Nick directly to meet with him, what is the name of the restaurant where the meeting will take place?
5. What is the name of the upperclassman who notices Francesca in the dining hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the rest of the Mafia families consider Chicago to be the "black sheep" of the Mafia?
2. As Michael opens up and shares some of his secrets with Kay as they fly on to Rome, what does Kay finally realize about herself?
3. What happens when the two men board the plane just as it lands at Kay's vacation destination? Why does this upset Kay?
4. What shocks Tom upon his arrival in Washington D.C.?
5. Why will Tom Hagen not be present at the next Commission meeting?
6. According to Fredo's questioning of Michael at Francesca and Billy's wedding, why is the Lake Tahoe house burned down?
7. As she begins her college life, why does Francesca come to regret not joining a sorority?
8. Explain why Kay barely knows how to speak to her husband of five years.
9. Why does Michael choose Pete Clemenza as his consigliere for the Commission meeting?
10. Why does Nick decide to join the Corleone organization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While each Don runs his own territory and family business, all of the Dons belong to the Commission.
a. Discuss the role of the Commission in the day-to-day operations of the Corleone family business.
b. Does the Commission evolve as the story moves on?
c. How do the relationships of the Dons change as the Commission changes?
d. Is the Commission an important or an outdated institution? Be sure to explain your reasoning and support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Michael Corleone, Don Forlenza, Pete Clemenza, and Louie Russo.
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled, "The Godfather Returns". Why does the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the inner struggles of the main character, and the regard - or lack thereof - of the people surrounding Michael?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)