|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tomas first met Zdenka in the gymnasium that he calls _________.
2. Who at first relents from letting the Nazi scientist into the Landauer home in "Occupation"?
3. "Lanik" begins with Lanik and __________surveying the Glass House.
4. In "Comfort," Hana breaks the ice by insisting she must tell Zdenka that she had a baby where?
5. Whom, according to Liesel's mother, was sent away in her letter in "Dissolution"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place in the line outside the train in "Ocean"?
2. How is the character of Eve introduced in "Berta"?
3. How is the end of the war described in "Soviets"?
4. How did Tomas meet Zdenka? How is her character described in "Tomas"?
5. What causes the train with the Landauers to stop in "Ocean"?
6. What is metaphorical about the story told in "Ondine"? How does this myth relate to Tomas?
7. Who is taken off the train in "Ocean"? What does Viktor do to try to assuage the situation?
8. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
9. How is Lanik's life and surroundings described in "Lanik"? Where does he spend his time during the war?
10. What does Liesel dream about in "Dissolution"? What letter does she receive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze, and discuss the character of Lanik in the novel. What does Lanik represent symbolically? How is he related to the Landauer family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plight of Jews during World War II and the status of the war in "Anschluss." What dangers did Viktor's family face from the Nazis?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the evolution of Hana and Stahl's relationship and the symbolism and metaphor surrounding it. How is Stahl dangerous to Hana?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)