|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Lanik" begins with Lanik and __________surveying the Glass House.
2. Martin is the son of whom?
3. "Swimming" begins with a letter from Hana to Liesel in which she describes the German scientist and what?
4. What does Lanik drink in the chapter titled "Lanik"?
5. What German Nazi scientist opens a laboratory in the old Landauer home in "Occupation"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Liesel dream about in "Dissolution"? What letter does she receive?
2. What information does Lanik reveal about the Landauers in "Lanik"?
3. What is metaphorical about the story told in "Ondine"? How does this myth relate to Tomas?
4. How does Liesel feel about going to America in "Leaving"? What does Viktor tell her?
5. How is the character of Eve introduced in "Berta"?
6. What causes panic at the Landauer House in "Protektor"?
7. What takes place in the line outside the train in "Ocean"?
8. How is Lanik's life and surroundings described in "Lanik"? Where does he spend his time during the war?
9. How is the end of the war described in "Soviets"?
10. Who takes over the Landauer House in "Occupation"? For what purpose is it used?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of Hana and Stahl's relationship and the symbolism and metaphor surrounding it. How is Stahl dangerous to Hana?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the actions in "Love" and "Ecstasy." What are the motivations of each of the characters and how do they go about achieving their aims?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Liesel and Kata in the narrative. How does Viktor feel about each of the women? How do they relate to one another?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)