|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Leman," the Landauers have left which city and continued their journey westward?
2. In "Dispossession," Lanik shows the Landauer house to whom?
3. On a cold day in what month do bomb sirens begin to sound in "Lanik"?
4. Ondine was a water nymph who fell in love with what?
5. Hana reveals to Stahl in "Storm" that she is __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the train with the Landauers to stop in "Ocean"?
2. Who is taken off the train in "Ocean"? What does Viktor do to try to assuage the situation?
3. What information does Lanik reveal about the Landauers in "Lanik"?
4. What takes place in the line outside the train in "Ocean"?
5. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
6. Who takes over the Landauer House in "Occupation"? For what purpose is it used?
7. What obstacles do the Landauers face in "Flight"?
8. How is Lanik's life and surroundings described in "Lanik"? Where does he spend his time during the war?
9. How did Tomas meet Zdenka? How is her character described in "Tomas"?
10. What is metaphorical about the story told in "Ondine"? How does this myth relate to Tomas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the beginning of the novel and the background of the central characters. Where is Vienna in relation to Czechoslovakia and the Landauers' home?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Adolf Hitler and the rise of the Nazi party. How is Hitler's influence seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of Czechoslovakia and the history of the Villa Tugendhat. How did this house inspire the author to write the novel?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)