|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What German Nazi scientist opens a laboratory in the old Landauer home in "Occupation"?
2. What are the passengers on the train told to line up on the platform with in "Ocean"?
3. In "Rainer," Rainer von Abt is now working for what university?
4. On a cold day in what month do bomb sirens begin to sound in "Lanik"?
5. Viktor gets into an argument with an official in "Ocean" and is hit with what object?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the Landauer family in the chapter titled "Exile"? What does Liesel begin to notice in this chapter?
2. Whom does Lanik show around the Landauer House in "Dispossession"? What happens at the end of this chapter?
3. What does Liesel dream about in "Dissolution"? What letter does she receive?
4. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
5. What obstacles do the Landauers face in "Flight"?
6. What causes the train with the Landauers to stop in "Ocean"?
7. Describe the character of Tomas. How does Tomas relate to Viktor?
8. How does Liesel feel about going to America in "Leaving"? What does Viktor tell her?
9. What causes panic at the Landauer House in "Protektor"?
10. Where does Viktor spend most of his time in "Dissolution"? How is his relationship with Liesel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the beginning of the novel and the background of the central characters. Where is Vienna in relation to Czechoslovakia and the Landauers' home?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Czechoslovakia and the history of the Villa Tugendhat. How did this house inspire the author to write the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history and impact of World War I in Europe. How was Czechoslovakia affected by the war? How is this impact seen in the novel?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)