|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Lanik," Lanik confesses to knowing about whose affair?
2. Tomas is a doctor who works at what kind of establishment?
3. Whom does Liesel dream of constantly in "Dissolution"?
4. When the train finally takes off in "Ocean," Liesel is dejected because she realizes what fact about her husband?
5. After Ondine's child is born, her lover cheats on her because she has lost __________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Kata in the novel. How does Viktor's relationship with Kata begin? How does their relationship evolve in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history and impact of World War I in Europe. How was Czechoslovakia affected by the war? How is this impact seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, analyze, and discuss the character of Lanik in the novel. What does Lanik represent symbolically? How is he related to the Landauer family?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)