|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hana reveals to Stahl in "Storm" that she is __________.
2. In "Dispossession," Lanik shows the Landauer house to whom?
3. Where did Hana end up, as revealed in "Confession"?
4. Whom, according to Liesel's mother, was sent away in her letter in "Dissolution"?
5. Martin is the son of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Liesel dream about in "Dissolution"? What letter does she receive?
2. What is Stahl's response when Hana tells him she is pregnant in "Storm"?
3. Describe the photographs Hana shows Zdenka in "Confession." What does Hana confess in this chapter?
4. Describe the character of Tomas. How does Tomas relate to Viktor?
5. What takes place in the line outside the train in "Ocean"?
6. Describe the reunion between the Landauers and Rainer von Abt in "Rainer." Where is the architect working now?
7. Describe the encounter between Stahl and Hana in "Encounter." What strikes Stahl about Hana?
8. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
9. How is the character of Eve introduced in "Berta"?
10. What is the meeting like between Zdenka and Hana in "Confession"? What does Hana warn Zdenka of in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of Hana and Stahl's relationship and the symbolism and metaphor surrounding it. How is Stahl dangerous to Hana?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Hana in the narrative. How is Hana described by the author? How does Liesel feel about her friend?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Marienbad and discuss the theme of adultery in the novel. How does the term "progressive" apply to both Viktor's lifestyle and his aesthetic?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)