|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did World War II begin?
2. In "Leman," the Landauers have left which city and continued their journey westward?
3. Whom does the official tell to go to the hut in "Ocean"?
4. In "Rainer," Liesel kisses Rainer von Abt goodbye and notices that she always forgets how ________ he is in her memories?
5. Martin is the son of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
2. What does Liesel dream about in "Dissolution"? What letter does she receive?
3. Describe the character of Tomas. How does Tomas relate to Viktor?
4. What takes place in the line outside the train in "Ocean"?
5. Where does Viktor spend most of his time in "Dissolution"? How is his relationship with Liesel?
6. Describe the photographs Hana shows Zdenka in "Confession." What does Hana confess in this chapter?
7. How did Tomas meet Zdenka? How is her character described in "Tomas"?
8. Describe the reunion between the Landauers and Rainer von Abt in "Rainer." Where is the architect working now?
9. What is the meeting like between Zdenka and Hana in "Confession"? What does Hana warn Zdenka of in this chapter?
10. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of Hana and Stahl's relationship and the symbolism and metaphor surrounding it. How is Stahl dangerous to Hana?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history and impact of World War I in Europe. How was Czechoslovakia affected by the war? How is this impact seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events in "Encounter" and "Chata" and Kata's integration with the Landauer family. How does Viktor react upon seeing Kata at the fundraiser? How does Liesel?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)