|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Joseph-Maurice Ravel born?
2. In "Rainer," Rainer von Abt is now building skyscrapers in what country?
3. What word means to be unfaithful in guarding, maintaining, or fulfilling?
4. In "Lanik," Lanik confesses to knowing about whose affair?
5. In "Encounter," Stahl sits in the cafe that Hana and __________would often visit.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meeting like between Zdenka and Hana in "Confession"? What does Hana warn Zdenka of in this chapter?
2. Whom does Lanik show around the Landauer House in "Dispossession"? What happens at the end of this chapter?
3. What takes place in the line outside the train in "Ocean"?
4. What does Liesel dream about in "Dissolution"? What letter does she receive?
5. Describe the character of Tomas. How does Tomas relate to Viktor?
6. What obstacles do the Landauers face in "Flight"?
7. Where is the Landauer family in the chapter titled "Exile"? What does Liesel begin to notice in this chapter?
8. How did Tomas meet Zdenka? How is her character described in "Tomas"?
9. How is the character of Eve introduced in "Berta"?
10. What does Hana reveal in her letter to Liesel in "Leaving"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of Hana and Stahl's relationship and the symbolism and metaphor surrounding it. How is Stahl dangerous to Hana?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Adolf Hitler and the rise of the Nazi party. How is Hitler's influence seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Marienbad and discuss the theme of adultery in the novel. How does the term "progressive" apply to both Viktor's lifestyle and his aesthetic?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)