|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who at first relents from letting the Nazi scientist into the Landauer home in "Occupation"?
2. At the start of World War II, what coalition included France, Poland, the United Kingdom, the British Commonwealth nations, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the Union of South Africa?
3. In "Ocean," the Landauer's train comes to a stop at a station where there are ________surrounding the station.
4. What was the name of Stahl's wife?
5. Hana was allowed to keep her baby for how long before it was taken away?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Liesel feel about going to America in "Leaving"? What does Viktor tell her?
2. How did Tomas meet Zdenka? How is her character described in "Tomas"?
3. What is Stahl's response when Hana tells him she is pregnant in "Storm"?
4. What causes panic at the Landauer House in "Protektor"?
5. What is metaphorical about the story told in "Ondine"? How does this myth relate to Tomas?
6. Describe the character of Tomas. How does Tomas relate to Viktor?
7. What does Hana relate about her time in the concentration camp in "Comfort"?
8. What takes place in the line outside the train in "Ocean"?
9. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
10. How is the character of Eve introduced in "Berta"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Marienbad and discuss the theme of adultery in the novel. How does the term "progressive" apply to both Viktor's lifestyle and his aesthetic?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Liesel and Kata in the narrative. How does Viktor feel about each of the women? How do they relate to one another?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the beginning of the novel and the background of the central characters. Where is Vienna in relation to Czechoslovakia and the Landauers' home?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)