|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The team of scientists who begin a laboratory in the Landauer house in "Occupation" are trying to find quantifiable differences between ______________.
2. At the start of World War II, what coalition included France, Poland, the United Kingdom, the British Commonwealth nations, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the Union of South Africa?
3. In "Encounter," Stahl sits in the cafe that Hana and __________would often visit.
4. In "Ondine" the reader learns about a child patient who stops breathing ___________.
5. In "Dispossession," Lanik shows the Landauer house to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Liesel feel about going to America in "Leaving"? What does Viktor tell her?
2. What does Liesel dream about in "Dissolution"? What letter does she receive?
3. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
4. What causes the train with the Landauers to stop in "Ocean"?
5. Describe the reunion between the Landauers and Rainer von Abt in "Rainer." Where is the architect working now?
6. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
7. How is Lanik's life and surroundings described in "Lanik"? Where does he spend his time during the war?
8. Whom does Lanik show around the Landauer House in "Dispossession"? What happens at the end of this chapter?
9. What is metaphorical about the story told in "Ondine"? How does this myth relate to Tomas?
10. Who is taken off the train in "Ocean"? What does Viktor do to try to assuage the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the characters of Liesel and Viktor Landauer. How does their relationship evolve from the beginning of the novel to the end?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the beginning of the novel and the background of the central characters. Where is Vienna in relation to Czechoslovakia and the Landauers' home?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss symbolism and metaphor surrounding the house in the novel. What are elements of foreshadowing related to the house?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)