|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stahl say he and his wife were outcasts when they married?
2. In "Storm," Stahl does not understand Hana's concern for the Jews until she reveals what information?
3. In "Comfort," Hana breaks the ice by insisting she must tell Zdenka that she had a baby where?
4. In "Departure," Liesel's family must leave what city to catch their next train?
5. In "Confession," Zdenka receives a call from whom, requesting a meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes panic at the Landauer House in "Protektor"?
2. What obstacles do the Landauers face in "Flight"?
3. What is metaphorical about the story told in "Ondine"? How does this myth relate to Tomas?
4. Whom does Lanik show around the Landauer House in "Dispossession"? What happens at the end of this chapter?
5. Why does Liesel verbally attack Viktor in "Ocean"? How do each of them feel at the end of this chapter?
6. Describe the character of Tomas. How does Tomas relate to Viktor?
7. How is Lanik's life and surroundings described in "Lanik"? Where does he spend his time during the war?
8. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
9. Describe the photographs Hana shows Zdenka in "Confession." What does Hana confess in this chapter?
10. What does Hana relate about her time in the concentration camp in "Comfort"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Marienbad and discuss the theme of adultery in the novel. How does the term "progressive" apply to both Viktor's lifestyle and his aesthetic?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Stahl and his work at the Landauer House. What was the aim of the laboratory installed in the Landauer House? Is the laboratory based on true events in history?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Liesel and Kata in the narrative. How does Viktor feel about each of the women? How do they relate to one another?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)