|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As "Exile" begins, the Landauer family settles into a small villa in __________.
2. Where was Joseph-Maurice Ravel born?
3. When did World War II end?
4. ___________have temporary passports in "Ocean."
5. In "Leman," the Landauers have left which city and continued their journey westward?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Tomas. How does Tomas relate to Viktor?
2. What causes the train with the Landauers to stop in "Ocean"?
3. What does Liesel dream about in "Dissolution"? What letter does she receive?
4. What obstacles do the Landauers face in "Flight"?
5. How did Tomas meet Zdenka? How is her character described in "Tomas"?
6. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
7. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
8. Describe the encounter between Stahl and Hana in "Encounter." What strikes Stahl about Hana?
9. Who is taken off the train in "Ocean"? What does Viktor do to try to assuage the situation?
10. Describe the reunion between the Landauers and Rainer von Abt in "Rainer." Where is the architect working now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events in "Encounter" and "Chata" and Kata's integration with the Landauer family. How does Viktor react upon seeing Kata at the fundraiser? How does Liesel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history and impact of World War I in Europe. How was Czechoslovakia affected by the war? How is this impact seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Liesel and Kata in the narrative. How does Viktor feel about each of the women? How do they relate to one another?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)