|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Viktor returns to the train car with his family in "Ocean," he is lambasted by Liesel for risking his life for what?
2. In "Leman," Liesel writes to Hana about not feeling angry with whom, although she feels she should be furious?
3. Zdenka had what profession before becoming a physiotherapist?
4. As "Exile" begins, the Landauer family settles into a small villa in __________.
5. When was Joseph-Maurice Ravel born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Lanik reveal about the Landauers in "Lanik"?
2. Describe the reunion between the Landauers and Rainer von Abt in "Rainer." Where is the architect working now?
3. Where is the Landauer family in the chapter titled "Exile"? What does Liesel begin to notice in this chapter?
4. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
5. Who takes over the Landauer House in "Occupation"? For what purpose is it used?
6. What obstacles do the Landauers face in "Flight"?
7. What is the meeting like between Zdenka and Hana in "Confession"? What does Hana warn Zdenka of in this chapter?
8. How does Liesel feel about going to America in "Leaving"? What does Viktor tell her?
9. Where does Viktor spend most of his time in "Dissolution"? How is his relationship with Liesel?
10. What takes place in the line outside the train in "Ocean"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Adolf Hitler and the rise of the Nazi party. How is Hitler's influence seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss symbolism and metaphor surrounding the house in the novel. What are elements of foreshadowing related to the house?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Stahl and his work at the Landauer House. What was the aim of the laboratory installed in the Landauer House? Is the laboratory based on true events in history?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)