|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the train finally takes off in "Ocean," Liesel is dejected because she realizes what fact about her husband?
2. Since the beginning of the war, Lanik has hoarded food and other items where on the grounds in "Lanik"?
3. In "Protektor" there is panic in the Glass Room because who has decided to visit?
4. At the start of World War II, what coalition included France, Poland, the United Kingdom, the British Commonwealth nations, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the Union of South Africa?
5. Whom does Liesel discover in bed together in "Exile"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
2. How did Tomas meet Zdenka? How is her character described in "Tomas"?
3. Who takes over the Landauer House in "Occupation"? For what purpose is it used?
4. What causes panic at the Landauer House in "Protektor"?
5. Where does Viktor spend most of his time in "Dissolution"? How is his relationship with Liesel?
6. What does Liesel dream about in "Dissolution"? What letter does she receive?
7. What obstacles do the Landauers face in "Flight"?
8. How is Lanik's life and surroundings described in "Lanik"? Where does he spend his time during the war?
9. Why does Liesel verbally attack Viktor in "Ocean"? How do each of them feel at the end of this chapter?
10. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history and impact of World War I in Europe. How was Czechoslovakia affected by the war? How is this impact seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the evolution of Hana and Stahl's relationship and the symbolism and metaphor surrounding it. How is Stahl dangerous to Hana?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Liesel and Kata in the narrative. How does Viktor feel about each of the women? How do they relate to one another?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)