|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Confession," Zdenka reveals that she and ___________ are back together?
2. Where is the seat of federal authorities in Switzerland?
3. When did World War II begin?
4. Tomas is a doctor who works at what kind of establishment?
5. What does Lanik drink in the chapter titled "Lanik"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
2. What does Liesel dream about in "Dissolution"? What letter does she receive?
3. Where is the Landauer family in the chapter titled "Exile"? What does Liesel begin to notice in this chapter?
4. Describe the character of Tomas. How does Tomas relate to Viktor?
5. What information does Lanik reveal about the Landauers in "Lanik"?
6. What obstacles do the Landauers face in "Flight"?
7. What causes the train with the Landauers to stop in "Ocean"?
8. What causes panic at the Landauer House in "Protektor"?
9. How is the end of the war described in "Soviets"?
10. Who is taken off the train in "Ocean"? What does Viktor do to try to assuage the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Kata in the novel. How does Viktor's relationship with Kata begin? How does their relationship evolve in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plight of Jews during World War II and the status of the war in "Anschluss." What dangers did Viktor's family face from the Nazis?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events in "Encounter" and "Chata" and Kata's integration with the Landauer family. How does Viktor react upon seeing Kata at the fundraiser? How does Liesel?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)