|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During "Examination," Hana decides to go visit Stahl at the house, where he takes her measurements and photographs her ____________.
2. Whom does the official tell to go to the hut in "Ocean"?
3. When the Landauers reach the front of the line in "Ocean," who gives all the papers for everyone?
4. Ondine curses her lover that if he falls asleep he will _________.
5. What does Liesel do when she discovers the house has been taken over by the Germans in "Exile"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Eve introduced in "Berta"?
2. What is the meeting like between Zdenka and Hana in "Confession"? What does Hana warn Zdenka of in this chapter?
3. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
4. Describe the encounter between Stahl and Hana in "Encounter." What strikes Stahl about Hana?
5. What is metaphorical about the story told in "Ondine"? How does this myth relate to Tomas?
6. Where is the Landauer family in the chapter titled "Exile"? What does Liesel begin to notice in this chapter?
7. How does Liesel feel about going to America in "Leaving"? What does Viktor tell her?
8. What causes the train with the Landauers to stop in "Ocean"?
9. How did Tomas meet Zdenka? How is her character described in "Tomas"?
10. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Liesel and Kata in the narrative. How does Viktor feel about each of the women? How do they relate to one another?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the modernist movement in architecture and the impact of Mies van der Rohe in that movement. What are common elements of this style and approach?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Liesel and Viktor Landauer. How does their relationship evolve from the beginning of the novel to the end?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)