|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Confession," Zdenka receives a call from whom, requesting a meeting?
2. Whom does Liesel discover in bed together in "Exile"?
3. In "Decision," Stahl has the opportunity to meet whom when he and other Jews are brought in to be measured?
4. When was Joseph-Maurice Ravel born?
5. What coalition included Germany, Italy, and Japan during World War II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the end of the war described in "Soviets"?
2. How did Tomas meet Zdenka? How is her character described in "Tomas"?
3. What obstacles do the Landauers face in "Flight"?
4. How is the character of Eve introduced in "Berta"?
5. Where does Viktor spend most of his time in "Dissolution"? How is his relationship with Liesel?
6. Who takes over the Landauer House in "Occupation"? For what purpose is it used?
7. Why does Liesel verbally attack Viktor in "Ocean"? How do each of them feel at the end of this chapter?
8. What is metaphorical about the story told in "Ondine"? How does this myth relate to Tomas?
9. Describe the encounter between Stahl and Hana in "Encounter." What strikes Stahl about Hana?
10. What causes panic at the Landauer House in "Protektor"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plight of Jews during World War II and the status of the war in "Anschluss." What dangers did Viktor's family face from the Nazis?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Stahl and his work at the Landauer House. What was the aim of the laboratory installed in the Landauer House? Is the laboratory based on true events in history?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the modernist movement in architecture and the impact of Mies van der Rohe in that movement. What are common elements of this style and approach?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)