|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Dispossession," Lanik shows the Landauer house to whom?
2. During "Examination," Hana decides to go visit Stahl at the house, where he takes her measurements and photographs her ____________.
3. What is the laboratory of Stahl's referred to as in the novel?
4. In "Departure," Liesel's family must leave what city to catch their next train?
5. As "Exile" begins, the Landauer family settles into a small villa in __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who takes over the Landauer House in "Occupation"? For what purpose is it used?
2. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
3. What takes place in the line outside the train in "Ocean"?
4. How is the character of Eve introduced in "Berta"?
5. Where is the Landauer family in the chapter titled "Exile"? What does Liesel begin to notice in this chapter?
6. What information does Lanik reveal about the Landauers in "Lanik"?
7. What obstacles do the Landauers face in "Flight"?
8. What does Hana reveal in her letter to Liesel in "Leaving"?
9. Why does Liesel verbally attack Viktor in "Ocean"? How do each of them feel at the end of this chapter?
10. Who is taken off the train in "Ocean"? What does Viktor do to try to assuage the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze, and discuss the character of Lanik in the novel. What does Lanik represent symbolically? How is he related to the Landauer family?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the characters of Liesel and Viktor Landauer. How does their relationship evolve from the beginning of the novel to the end?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Liesel's discovery of her husband's affair. How does Liesel react? Why does she comfort Kata instead of attacking her?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)