|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zdenka dance for Hana in "Confession"?
2. After Ondine's child is born, her lover cheats on her because she has lost __________.
3. In "Decision," Stahl has the opportunity to meet whom when he and other Jews are brought in to be measured?
4. In "Ocean," the Landauers watch as some people in the front of the line are being let back on board the train while others are being taken to which location?
5. Who, according to Liesel during an argument, is Victor's responsibility during their argument in "Ocean"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who takes over the Landauer House in "Occupation"? For what purpose is it used?
2. How does Liesel feel about going to America in "Leaving"? What does Viktor tell her?
3. Why does Liesel verbally attack Viktor in "Ocean"? How do each of them feel at the end of this chapter?
4. What does Hana relate about her time in the concentration camp in "Comfort"?
5. What causes panic at the Landauer House in "Protektor"?
6. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
7. How is the character of Eve introduced in "Berta"?
8. What information does Lanik reveal about the Landauers in "Lanik"?
9. How did Tomas meet Zdenka? How is her character described in "Tomas"?
10. Where is the Landauer family in the chapter titled "Exile"? What does Liesel begin to notice in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events in "Encounter" and "Chata" and Kata's integration with the Landauer family. How does Viktor react upon seeing Kata at the fundraiser? How does Liesel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the actions in "Love" and "Ecstasy." What are the motivations of each of the characters and how do they go about achieving their aims?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, analyze, and discuss the character of Lanik in the novel. What does Lanik represent symbolically? How is he related to the Landauer family?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)