|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What coalition included Germany, Italy, and Japan during World War II?
2. In "Concert" Hana takes Stahl to the Glass Room, where Hana shows him _________ in evening sunlight?
3. When Viktor returns to the train car with his family in "Ocean," he is lambasted by Liesel for risking his life for what?
4. What was Lanik's position at the Landauer House?
5. While Hana believes she has fallen in love many times in her life, she knows her main loves were _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tomas meet Zdenka? How is her character described in "Tomas"?
2. Whom does Lanik show around the Landauer House in "Dispossession"? What happens at the end of this chapter?
3. What is Stahl's response when Hana tells him she is pregnant in "Storm"?
4. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
5. What does Liesel dream about in "Dissolution"? What letter does she receive?
6. What obstacles do the Landauers face in "Flight"?
7. What does Hana reveal in her letter to Liesel in "Leaving"?
8. Where is the Landauer family in the chapter titled "Exile"? What does Liesel begin to notice in this chapter?
9. How is the character of Eve introduced in "Berta"?
10. Who takes over the Landauer House in "Occupation"? For what purpose is it used?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Stahl and his work at the Landauer House. What was the aim of the laboratory installed in the Landauer House? Is the laboratory based on true events in history?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Czechoslovakia and the history of the Villa Tugendhat. How did this house inspire the author to write the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events in "Encounter" and "Chata" and Kata's integration with the Landauer family. How does Viktor react upon seeing Kata at the fundraiser? How does Liesel?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)