|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Viktor gets into an argument with an official in "Ocean" and is hit with what object?
(a) A book.
(b) The butt of a gun.
(c) A pan handle.
(d) A whip.
2. On a cold day in what month do bomb sirens begin to sound in "Lanik"?
3. What coalition included Germany, Italy, and Japan during World War II?
(a) The Allies.
(b) The Axis powers.
(d) The United Nations.
4. "Swimming" begins with a letter from Hana to Liesel in which she describes the German scientist and what?
(a) The birth of her daughter.
(b) Her husband's death.
(c) Her affair with the pianist.
(d) The new use for the house.
5. Who at first relents from letting the Nazi scientist into the Landauer home in "Occupation"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Storm," Stahl does not understand Hana's concern for the Jews until she reveals what information?
2. What was the name of Stahl's wife?
3. In "Lanik," Lanik confesses to knowing about whose affair?
4. One of the pictures that Hana gives Zdenka in "Confession" shows Tomas tightly holding hands with whom?
5. In "Storm," Stahl is furious because Hana has not _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meeting like between Zdenka and Hana in "Confession"? What does Hana warn Zdenka of in this chapter?
2. How is Lanik's life and surroundings described in "Lanik"? Where does he spend his time during the war?
3. What causes panic at the Landauer House in "Protektor"?
4. Where does Viktor spend most of his time in "Dissolution"? How is his relationship with Liesel?
5. Describe the reunion between the Landauers and Rainer von Abt in "Rainer." Where is the architect working now?
6. How is the character of Eve introduced in "Berta"?
7. What obstacles do the Landauers face in "Flight"?
8. Whom does Lanik show around the Landauer House in "Dispossession"? What happens at the end of this chapter?
9. Describe the photographs Hana shows Zdenka in "Confession." What does Hana confess in this chapter?
10. What is Stahl's response when Hana tells him she is pregnant in "Storm"?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)