|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Storm," Hana asks Stahl about all of the Jews that are being forced into camps in what country?
2. In "Ondine" the reader learns about a child patient who stops breathing ___________.
(a) When she is frightened.
(b) When she plays.
(c) When she sleeps.
(d) When she is underwater.
3. Zdenka had what profession before becoming a physiotherapist?
4. In "Flight," the Landauers begin their drive toward the airport, but notice that many of the roads are ______.
(b) Covered in ashes.
(c) On fire.
5. In "Flight," the Landauers (along with Kata and Marika) are finally finished with ____________.
(c) Warring with one another.
(d) Building the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Martin is the son of whom?
2. Who at first relents from letting the Nazi scientist into the Landauer home in "Occupation"?
3. In "Soviets" Mesto is taken over by whom?
4. The team of scientists who begin a laboratory in the Landauer house in "Occupation" are trying to find quantifiable differences between ______________.
5. Whom, according to Liesel's mother, was sent away in her letter in "Dissolution"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the train with the Landauers to stop in "Ocean"?
2. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
3. Describe the photographs Hana shows Zdenka in "Confession." What does Hana confess in this chapter?
4. Who takes over the Landauer House in "Occupation"? For what purpose is it used?
5. Describe the encounter between Stahl and Hana in "Encounter." What strikes Stahl about Hana?
6. What is Stahl's response when Hana tells him she is pregnant in "Storm"?
7. How is Lanik's life and surroundings described in "Lanik"? Where does he spend his time during the war?
8. Describe the character of Tomas. How does Tomas relate to Viktor?
9. What causes panic at the Landauer House in "Protektor"?
10. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)