|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Ondine's child is born, her lover cheats on her because she has lost __________.
(a) All of her money.
(b) Her children.
(c) Her love for him.
(d) Eternal youth.
2. In "Concert" Hana takes Stahl to the Glass Room, where Hana shows him _________ in evening sunlight?
(a) The garden patio.
(b) The iron gate.
(c) The onyx wall.
(d) The marble wall.
3. What word in Nazi doctrine refers to a non-Jewish Caucasian, especially of Nordic stock?
4. In "Leaving," Hana reveals in a letter that she is sleeping with Stahl for money because all of Oskar's money and possessions have been __________.
(d) Taken to America.
5. When the Landauers reach the front of the line in "Ocean," who gives all the papers for everyone?
Short Answer Questions
1. Zdenka had what profession before becoming a physiotherapist?
2. In "Rainer," Liesel kisses Rainer von Abt goodbye and notices that she always forgets how ________ he is in her memories?
3. What is the laboratory of Stahl's referred to as in the novel?
4. Whom, according to Liesel's mother, was sent away in her letter in "Dissolution"?
5. In "Soviets" Mesto is taken over by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the photographs Hana shows Zdenka in "Confession." What does Hana confess in this chapter?
2. Why does Liesel verbally attack Viktor in "Ocean"? How do each of them feel at the end of this chapter?
3. Who is taken off the train in "Ocean"? What does Viktor do to try to assuage the situation?
4. How does Liesel feel about going to America in "Leaving"? What does Viktor tell her?
5. How is Lanik's life and surroundings described in "Lanik"? Where does he spend his time during the war?
6. Who takes over the Landauer House in "Occupation"? For what purpose is it used?
7. What does Hana relate about her time in the concentration camp in "Comfort"?
8. Describe the encounter between Stahl and Hana in "Encounter." What strikes Stahl about Hana?
9. What is metaphorical about the story told in "Ondine"? How does this myth relate to Tomas?
10. What is the meeting like between Zdenka and Hana in "Confession"? What does Hana warn Zdenka of in this chapter?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)