|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the start of World War II, what coalition included France, Poland, the United Kingdom, the British Commonwealth nations, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the Union of South Africa?
(a) The Axis powers.
(b) The Allies.
(d) The United Nations.
2. Whom does Lanik admit to having watched undress one time in "Lanik"?
3. Whom, according to Liesel's mother, was sent away in her letter in "Dissolution"?
(a) Ottilie and Martin.
(b) Hana and Oskar.
(c) Tomas and Oskar.
(d) Rainer von Abt.
4. One of the pictures that Hana gives Zdenka in "Confession" shows Tomas tightly holding hands with whom?
5. In "Flight," the Landauers begin their drive toward the airport, but notice that many of the roads are ______.
(a) On fire.
(c) Covered in ashes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the official tell to go to the hut in "Ocean"?
2. In "Dissolution," Viktor is rarely home, spending most of his time working on business or __________,
3. Ondine was a water nymph who fell in love with what?
4. ___________have temporary passports in "Ocean."
5. In "Leman," Liesel writes to Hana about not feeling angry with whom, although she feels she should be furious?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Lanik show around the Landauer House in "Dispossession"? What happens at the end of this chapter?
2. Describe the character of Tomas. How does Tomas relate to Viktor?
3. What takes place in the line outside the train in "Ocean"?
4. Who takes over the Landauer House in "Occupation"? For what purpose is it used?
5. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
6. What information does Lanik reveal about the Landauers in "Lanik"?
7. What does Hana relate about her time in the concentration camp in "Comfort"?
8. What is the meeting like between Zdenka and Hana in "Confession"? What does Hana warn Zdenka of in this chapter?
9. What does Hana reveal in her letter to Liesel in "Leaving"?
10. How does Liesel feel about going to America in "Leaving"? What does Viktor tell her?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)