|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Rainer," Rainer von Abt is now building skyscrapers in what country?
2. Hana was allowed to keep her baby for how long before it was taken away?
(a) 5 months.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 2 months.
3. During "Examination," Hana decides to go visit Stahl at the house, where he takes her measurements and photographs her ____________.
(b) Wearing a tiara.
(c) Wearing a gown.
(d) In a wig.
4. What word in Nazi doctrine refers to a non-Jewish Caucasian, especially of Nordic stock?
5. Tomas is a doctor who works at what kind of establishment?
(a) An insane asylum.
(b) A neuropsychological facility.
(c) A facility for the elderly.
(d) A rehabilitation hospital for children.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Viktor returns to the train car with his family in "Ocean," he is lambasted by Liesel for risking his life for what?
2. What coalition included Germany, Italy, and Japan during World War II?
3. In "Protektor" there is panic in the Glass Room because who has decided to visit?
4. In "Storm," Stahl does not understand Hana's concern for the Jews until she reveals what information?
5. "Departure" begins with Liesel frightened and worried for whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the end of the war described in "Soviets"?
2. Whom does Lanik show around the Landauer House in "Dispossession"? What happens at the end of this chapter?
3. What causes panic at the Landauer House in "Protektor"?
4. Why does Liesel verbally attack Viktor in "Ocean"? How do each of them feel at the end of this chapter?
5. What is metaphorical about the story told in "Ondine"? How does this myth relate to Tomas?
6. Describe the reunion between the Landauers and Rainer von Abt in "Rainer." Where is the architect working now?
7. Describe the encounter between Stahl and Hana in "Encounter." What strikes Stahl about Hana?
8. Describe the photographs Hana shows Zdenka in "Confession." What does Hana confess in this chapter?
9. What obstacles do the Landauers face in "Flight"?
10. How is Lanik's life and surroundings described in "Lanik"? Where does he spend his time during the war?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)