|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One day in "Dissolution," Liesel receives a disturbing letter from her mother who calls the Nazis what?
(a) "Those people."
(d) "Her people."
2. In "Confession," Zdenka reveals that she and ___________ are back together?
3. In "Ocean," the Landauers watch as some people in the front of the line are being let back on board the train while others are being taken to which location?
(a) To a prison.
(b) To a hut.
(c) To an incinerator.
(d) To another train.
4. Ondine curses her lover that if he falls asleep he will _________.
(a) Be able to fly.
(b) Kill someone.
(c) Stop breathing.
(d) Have nightmares.
5. What does Lanik drink in the chapter titled "Lanik"?
(a) Coca Cola.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Viktor returns to the train car with his family in "Ocean," he is lambasted by Liesel for risking his life for what?
2. Hana was allowed to keep her baby for how long before it was taken away?
3. Tomas first met Zdenka in the gymnasium that he calls _________.
4. As "Exile" begins, the Landauer family settles into a small villa in __________.
5. Whom does Liesel dream of constantly in "Dissolution"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meeting like between Zdenka and Hana in "Confession"? What does Hana warn Zdenka of in this chapter?
2. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
3. What causes the train with the Landauers to stop in "Ocean"?
4. How is the character of Eve introduced in "Berta"?
5. Describe the photographs Hana shows Zdenka in "Confession." What does Hana confess in this chapter?
6. What takes place in the line outside the train in "Ocean"?
7. What does Liesel dream about in "Dissolution"? What letter does she receive?
8. How did Tomas meet Zdenka? How is her character described in "Tomas"?
9. Whom does Lanik show around the Landauer House in "Dispossession"? What happens at the end of this chapter?
10. How is the end of the war described in "Soviets"?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)