|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lanik's position at the Landauer House?
(a) Court jester.
2. Tomas is a doctor who works at what kind of establishment?
(a) A facility for the elderly.
(b) A neuropsychological facility.
(c) A rehabilitation hospital for children.
(d) An insane asylum.
3. When did World War II begin?
4. Who, according to Liesel during an argument, is Victor's responsibility during their argument in "Ocean"?
(a) Kata and Liesel.
(b) Kata and Marika.
(c) Liesel and the children.
(d) Oskar and Hana.
5. Whom does Liesel discover in bed together in "Exile"?
(a) Oskar and Hana.
(b) Lanik and Kata.
(c) Viktor and Marika.
(d) Viktor and Kata.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Storm," Stahl is furious because Hana has not _________.
2. In "Dissolution," Viktor is rarely home, spending most of his time working on business or __________,
3. In "Berta" the reader is introduced to what woman that Tomas has slept with for many years?
4. In "Leman," Liesel writes to Hana about not feeling angry with whom, although she feels she should be furious?
5. In "Soviets" Mesto is taken over by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Viktor spend most of his time in "Dissolution"? How is his relationship with Liesel?
2. How does Liesel feel about going to America in "Leaving"? What does Viktor tell her?
3. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
4. Why does Liesel verbally attack Viktor in "Ocean"? How do each of them feel at the end of this chapter?
5. What causes the train with the Landauers to stop in "Ocean"?
6. What information does Lanik reveal about the Landauers in "Lanik"?
7. Who is taken off the train in "Ocean"? What does Viktor do to try to assuage the situation?
8. What is the meeting like between Zdenka and Hana in "Confession"? What does Hana warn Zdenka of in this chapter?
9. Where is the Landauer family in the chapter titled "Exile"? What does Liesel begin to notice in this chapter?
10. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)