|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Liesel is writing a reply to Hana in "Leaving," Viktor bursts into the room to announce that what have arrived?
(a) The tickets to America.
(b) The children.
(c) The tickets to London.
(d) The Nazis.
2. Where does a bomb land in "Lanik"?
(a) In the Glass Room.
(b) In the kitchen of the Landauer House.
(c) The garden outside of the Landauer House.
(d) In the bathroom of the Landauer House.
3. What are the passengers on the train told to line up on the platform with in "Ocean"?
(a) Their luggage.
(b) Their insurance cards.
(c) Their papers.
(d) Their children.
4. What German Nazi scientist opens a laboratory in the old Landauer home in "Occupation"?
5. Where did Hana end up, as revealed in "Confession"?
(a) Zurich, Switzerland.
(b) London, England.
(c) Berlin, Germany.
(d) Ravensbruck, Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Decision," Stahl has the opportunity to meet whom when he and other Jews are brought in to be measured?
2. In "Concert" Hana takes Stahl to the Glass Room, where Hana shows him _________ in evening sunlight?
3. Hana reveals to Stahl in "Storm" that she is __________.
4. What does Lanik drink in the chapter titled "Lanik"?
5. In "Confession," Zdenka reveals that she and ___________ are back together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the encounter between Stahl and Hana in "Encounter." What strikes Stahl about Hana?
2. Why does Liesel verbally attack Viktor in "Ocean"? How do each of them feel at the end of this chapter?
3. What takes place in the line outside the train in "Ocean"?
4. What is metaphorical about the story told in "Ondine"? How does this myth relate to Tomas?
5. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
6. How did Tomas meet Zdenka? How is her character described in "Tomas"?
7. How is the end of the war described in "Soviets"?
8. Describe the character of Tomas. How does Tomas relate to Viktor?
9. What causes panic at the Landauer House in "Protektor"?
10. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)