|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the seat of federal authorities in Switzerland?
2. On a cold day in what month do bomb sirens begin to sound in "Lanik"?
3. Whom does Liesel dream of constantly in "Dissolution"?
4. In "Flight," the Landauers begin their drive toward the airport, but notice that many of the roads are ______.
(a) Covered in ashes.
(c) On fire.
5. As Liesel is writing a reply to Hana in "Leaving," Viktor bursts into the room to announce that what have arrived?
(a) The children.
(b) The tickets to America.
(c) The tickets to London.
(d) The Nazis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zdenka had what profession before becoming a physiotherapist?
2. In "Confession," Zdenka reveals that she and ___________ are back together?
3. What coalition included Germany, Italy, and Japan during World War II?
4. Whom does Lanik admit to having watched undress one time in "Lanik"?
5. "Lanik" begins with Lanik and __________surveying the Glass House.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reunion between the Landauers and Rainer von Abt in "Rainer." Where is the architect working now?
2. Where is the Landauer family in the chapter titled "Exile"? What does Liesel begin to notice in this chapter?
3. Whom does Lanik show around the Landauer House in "Dispossession"? What happens at the end of this chapter?
4. What is Stahl's response when Hana tells him she is pregnant in "Storm"?
5. What does Liesel dream about in "Dissolution"? What letter does she receive?
6. What information does Lanik reveal about the Landauers in "Lanik"?
7. Describe the subjects in "Occupation." What are the scientists working on?
8. Describe the encounter between Stahl and Hana in "Encounter." What strikes Stahl about Hana?
9. What does Hana's character symbolize in the novel? What purpose does she serve in the narrative?
10. How is Lanik's life and surroundings described in "Lanik"? Where does he spend his time during the war?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)