|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The team of scientists who begin a laboratory in the Landauer house in "Occupation" are trying to find quantifiable differences between ______________.
(a) Jews and other races.
(b) Nazis and Arabs.
(c) Time and space.
(d) Quantum genetics and solar energy.
2. How do Hana and Liesel keep in touch in "Exile"?
(a) By telephone.
(b) By email.
(c) By letters.
(d) By telegrams.
3. In "Lanik," Lanik confesses to knowing about whose affair?
(a) Viktor and Kata's.
(b) Tomas and Zdenka's.
(c) Marika and Viktor's.
(d) Viktor and Hana's.
4. In "Ocean," the Landauer's train comes to a stop at a station where there are ________surrounding the station.
(a) American soldiers.
(b) Russian soldiers.
(c) German soldiers.
(d) British soldiers.
5. Where does Zdenka dance for Hana in "Confession"?
(a) The garden.
(b) In America.
(c) The Glass Room.
(d) A parking lot.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Departure," Liesel's family must leave what city to catch their next train?
2. As "Exile" begins, the Landauer family settles into a small villa in __________.
3. When Viktor returns to the train car with his family in "Ocean," he is lambasted by Liesel for risking his life for what?
4. Martin is the son of whom?
5. At the start of World War II, what coalition included France, Poland, the United Kingdom, the British Commonwealth nations, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the Union of South Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who takes over the Landauer House in "Occupation"? For what purpose is it used?
2. What does Liesel dream about in "Dissolution"? What letter does she receive?
3. What is the meeting like between Zdenka and Hana in "Confession"? What does Hana warn Zdenka of in this chapter?
4. What obstacles do the Landauers face in "Flight"?
5. Describe the encounter between Stahl and Hana in "Encounter." What strikes Stahl about Hana?
6. Why does Liesel verbally attack Viktor in "Ocean"? How do each of them feel at the end of this chapter?
7. What takes place in the line outside the train in "Ocean"?
8. What is metaphorical about the story told in "Ondine"? How does this myth relate to Tomas?
9. Where does Viktor spend most of his time in "Dissolution"? How is his relationship with Liesel?
10. How does Liesel feel about going to America in "Leaving"? What does Viktor tell her?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)