|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Completion," Liesel's mother thinks the house looks like ____________.
(a) A museum.
(b) A laboratory or hospital.
(c) A cathedral.
(d) A school or office.
2. As "Anschluss" starts, Viktor listens to the radio and discovers that what country has been taken over by the Germans?
3. When Viktor and Liesel solicit the architect from their honeymoon to build them a house, he at first seems hesitant, insisting it is too much pressure to build a house for ___________.
(a) Jewish people.
(b) An individual.
(d) A corporation.
4. In "Birth," Viktor assesses Liesel's new form in her second pregnancy and believes she no longer looks human, but ____________.
5. Who comforts Hana after her lover leaves her in "Memories"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was adopted as a symbol of the Nazi Party of Germany in 1920?
2. "Happy Families" begins with Liesel reading a review of the house in __________.
3. In "Construction," Liesel and Viktor's architect insists that they will not be building a house for __________.
4. What Nazi has been invited to the dinner party hosted by the Landauers in "Dinner"?
5. In "Gossip," Liesel learns that her nanny will leave the family for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Landauers' nanny leaving in "Gossip"? Whom does Liesel suggest as a replacement?
2. What do Liesel and Viktor ask the architect to build in "Commitment"? What is his response?
3. What is foreshadowed about the house in "Completion"?
4. Why do Liesel and Viktor have the baby baptized in "Construction"? What do they argue about?
5. Where does Hana go in "Coda"? What affair takes place?
6. What does Viktor give a speech about in "Housewarming"? What metaphor does he employ?
7. What political altercation takes place at the dinner party in "Dinner"?
8. Where have the central characters just arrived in "Honeymoon"? How do they feel about one another?
9. What does Rainer relate of his ideas for the house in "Conception"?
10. How do Liesel and Viktor become closer in "Interior"? What does Liesel question her husband about in this chapter?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)