|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the start of World War II, what coalition included France, Poland, the United Kingdom, the British Commonwealth nations, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the Union of South Africa?
(a) The Axis powers.
(c) The United Nations.
(d) The Allies.
2. Tomas is a doctor who works at what kind of establishment?
(a) A facility for the elderly.
(b) A neuropsychological facility.
(c) A rehabilitation hospital for children.
(d) An insane asylum.
3. Why does Stahl say he and his wife were outcasts when they married?
(a) There were siblings.
(b) They were first cousins.
(c) He was Jewish.
(d) She was Jewish.
4. In "Lanik," Lanik confesses to knowing about whose affair?
(a) Viktor and Hana's.
(b) Viktor and Kata's.
(c) Marika and Viktor's.
(d) Tomas and Zdenka's.
5. What is the laboratory of Stahl's referred to as in the novel?
(a) The Biodiversity Center.
(b) The Genetics Center.
(c) The Neutron Center.
(d) The Biometric Center.
6. Whom does Liesel discover in bed together in "Exile"?
(a) Viktor and Marika.
(b) Lanik and Kata.
(c) Viktor and Kata.
(d) Oskar and Hana.
7. In "Flight," the Landauers begin their drive toward the airport, but notice that many of the roads are ______.
(b) Covered in ashes.
(c) On fire.
8. In "Storm," Stahl does not understand Hana's concern for the Jews until she reveals what information?
(a) Her sister married a Jewish man.
(b) Her father was Jewish.
(c) She is Jewish.
(d) Her husband is Jewish.
9. When was Joseph-Maurice Ravel born?
10. Ondine was a water nymph who fell in love with what?
(a) A faun.
(b) A god.
(c) A goddess.
(d) A human.
11. In "Ondine" the reader learns about a child patient who stops breathing ___________.
(a) When she sleeps.
(b) When she is underwater.
(c) When she is frightened.
(d) When she plays.
12. What German Nazi scientist opens a laboratory in the old Landauer home in "Occupation"?
13. Hana was allowed to keep her baby for how long before it was taken away?
(a) 5 months.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 6 months.
14. What does Liesel do when she discovers the house has been taken over by the Germans in "Exile"?
(a) She flies to France.
(b) She calls Hana.
(c) She breaks down.
(d) She calls her mother.
15. Who, according to Liesel during an argument, is Victor's responsibility during their argument in "Ocean"?
(a) Kata and Marika.
(b) Liesel and the children.
(c) Kata and Liesel.
(d) Oskar and Hana.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zdenka dance for Hana in "Confession"?
2. When the Landauers reach the front of the line in "Ocean," who gives all the papers for everyone?
3. In "Leman," the Landauers have left which city and continued their journey westward?
4. In "Flight," the Landauers (along with Kata and Marika) are finally finished with ____________.
5. In "Storm," Stahl is furious because Hana has not _________.
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)