|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hyeonseo asks the North Korean waitress where her plastic surgery had performed, what is the waitress's reply?
(d) South Korea.
2. Just before Hyesan disappears from Hyeonseo's view, she thinks of the love and trust in her mother's eyes as she had told Hyeonseo not to stay out too late. What is NOT one way Hyeonseo says she feels at this moment?
3. When Hyeonseo's mother tells her not to come back to Hyesan because the family is under suspicion due to Hyeonseo's absence, what does she tell Hyeonseo she plans to do?
(a) Fake Hyeonseo's death.
(b) Find a way to get the whole family to South Korea.
(c) Come to China and get her.
(d) Sell the house and move.
4. How many months after her departure from their home does Hyeonseo wait before contacting her aunt and uncle in Shenyang?
5. Once Hyeonseo changes her mind and decides that she does want to see Kim before he goes back to Seoul, what does she do?
(a) She calls him and asks him to have coffee with her.
(b) She asks Ok-hee to call Kim for her.
(c) She prays for a second chance.
(d) She writes him a letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item is NOT enclosed in the package Hyeonseo sends home to Hyesan?
2. Why does Hyeonseo refuse Kim's request to have dinner with her, though she feels strongly attracted to him?
3. Hyeonseo states that every election in North Korea always "returned Kim Jong-il with" what "percentage approval" (111)?
4. After Hyeonseo talks her way out of the men's salon, in what type of vehicle does she escape?
5. What nationality is Hyeonseo's new boss in her new position after she leaves her waitressing job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job does Hyeonseo get after receiving her new piece of Chinese identification and how does the situation demonstrate the power inherent in proven legitimacy?
2. What major piece of information does Hyeonseo find out from her regular waitress at Pyongyang Okryugwan and how does the information demonstrate the theme of social stratification?
3. What are Geun-soo's mother's views regarding what kind of women Geun-soo should date?
4. How does Hyeonseo characterize Min-ho's view of money and how his views represent those of all North Koreans?
5. How does Hyeonseo escape the clutches of the gang holding her hostage?
6. What does Hyeonseo mean when she writes, "I should have seen the warning lights when Geun-soo began urging me to improve my Mandarin and correcting me on points of etiquette" (117)?
7. What does Hyeonseo long for just before she again meets her previous acquaintance Ok-hee?
8. What plan does Hyeonseo invent in order to reach South Korea?
9. How does Hyeonseo describe Ok-hee and what does Hyeonseo find out the two women have in common?
10. How does Hyeonseo acquire her new identification card while living in China?
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)