|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unconventional and technically illegal hairstyle did Hyeonseo wear while attending school in Hyesan?
(a) A perm.
(b) A mohawk.
(c) A fringe.
(d) A bob.
2. Who are the bowibu?
(a) Secret police in South Korea.
(b) Secret police in North Korea.
(c) Secret police in Laos.
(d) Secret police in North Korea.
3. About what malady is Hyeonseo speaking when she says that her father displayed signs of "an illness that is not acknowledged in North Korea" (67)?
(a) Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
(c) Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
4. What was NOT a characteristic of the special class Hyeonseo began taking when she was 15?
(a) The class taught housekeeping skills.
(b) The class taught knitting skills.
(c) There were only three girls in the class.
(d) The class was for girls only.
5. Hyeonseo says that she has learned that people can do without almost anything, but they cannot do without what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT a quality named by Hyeonseo in her list of beliefs North Koreans held about The Great Leader before his death?
2. What is the rough translation of the North Korean ideological term juche?
3. For what reason is Uncle Opium protected from investigation?
4. What insects did Hyeonseo's teacher point out to the class during their field trip in order to say that even they were "sad at the Great Leader's death" (72)?
5. What trait does Hyeonseo say that she and her brother had in common with their mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major world event does Hyeonseo say she and other North Koreans were completely ignorant of in the 1990s?
2. How are the themes of money and freedom linked within the scene in which Hyeonseo's mother is caught on the street wearing trousers?
3. What does the author claim is ironic about North Korea's beginnings as a communist state?
4. What is ironic about the North Korean government's use of the term "people's trial" (27)?
5. What reason does the author provide for her claim that her family's new home in Hyesan was perfect for her "mother's illicit enterprises" (57)?
6. What are the two types of prison in the gulag?
7. How is the theme of appearance versus reality demonstrated within the description of Hyeonseo's mother's behavior once her husband has been detained for ten days?
8. What beliefs about Chinese people does Hyeonseo say are taught to every North Korean child?
9. What does the family's color television symbolize within the narrative?
10. What is shown about Hyeonseo's maternal grandmother's character within the description of her reaction to Hyeonseo's mother's divorce and child borne of the marriage?
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)