|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two items does Hyeonseo's mother give to the head of the investigation team in order to have her name removed from the list of suspects?
(a) A freezer and a washing machine.
(b) Cash and a motorcycle.
(c) A refrigerator and cash.
(d) Crystal methamphetamine and cash.
2. Whom does Hyeonseo name as someone who becomes a great friend to her in China?
3. What does Hyeonseo forget to ask when she accepts her first job after leaving the men's salon?
(a) What her hours will be.
(b) Whether she will need an ID.
(c) The amount of her salary.
(d) Which days she will have off.
4. What key word does Hyeonseo tell herself when she is trying to make it through her interrogation successfully?
5. In what year does Hyeonseo see a news story on television about North Koreans seeking political asylum at the South Korean embassy in Beijing?
6. In what city does Mr. Ahn live?
7. How old is Hyeonseo by the time she gets her new job at the cosmetics company in the Mihang district?
8. When Hyeonseo's Uncle Jung-gil tells her that Kim Jong-Il had not been born in Korea, where does he say Kim Jong-il had been born instead?
9. How many times more does Hyeonseo's new job pays in comparison to her waitressing job?
10. When Hyeonseo's mother tells her not to come back to Hyesan because the family is under suspicion due to Hyeonseo's absence, what does she tell Hyeonseo she plans to do?
(a) Find a way to get the whole family to South Korea.
(b) Come to China and get her.
(c) Fake Hyeonseo's death.
(d) Sell the house and move.
11. What kind of company does Hyeonseo's Uncle Jong-gil run in China?
(a) A Taekwondo studio.
(b) A trading company.
(c) A printing company.
(d) A coal mining company.
12. What is Geun-soo doing when he gets on the phone with Hyeonseo and asks her to come back?
(b) Playing a video game.
13. Whom does Hyeonseo mentally thank for forcing her to learn Chinese characters once it is clear she must stay in China long-term?
(a) Mr. Ahn.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her father.
14. Once Hyeonseo changes her mind and decides that she does want to see Kim before he goes back to Seoul, what does she do?
(a) She prays for a second chance.
(b) She asks Ok-hee to call Kim for her.
(c) She writes him a letter.
(d) She calls him and asks him to have coffee with her.
15. When Hyeonseo's mother is ordered to appear at the Bowibu headquarters in Hyesan, what does she do?
(a) She takes Min-ho to South Korea.
(b) She makes a plan to flee to Laos.
(c) She goes to stay with Aunt Pretty in Hamhung.
(d) She goes to the Bowibu headquarters in Hyesan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bad news does Mrs. Ahn deliver to Hyeonseo when Hyeonseo visits Changbai in October of 2004?
2. What punishment does Hyeonseo impose on herself for hurting Geun-soo?
3. Who finds a broker to help Hyeonseo and Ok-hee enact their plan to move to a different country?
4. Where does Hyeonseo decide to go once she has reached Mr. Ahn's house across the river in China?
5. With what implements do the North Korean police beat Min-ho during his interrogation?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)